This Surah consists of 22 verses, 109 sentences, 465 letters and one Ruku.
It takes its name from the word al buruj appearing in the first verse.
The subject matter itself indicates that this Surah was sent down at Makkah in the period when persecution of the Muslims was at its climax and the disbelievers of Makkah were trying their utmost by tyranny and coercion to turn away the new converts from Islam.
Its theme is to warn the disbelievers of the evil consequences of the persecution and tyranny that they were perpetrating on the converts to Islam, and to console the believers, so as to say: "If you remain firm and steadfast against tyranny and coercion, you will be rewarded richly for it, and Allah will certainly avenge Himself on your persecutors on your behalf"
In this connection, first of all the story of the people of the ditch (ashab al-ukhdud) had been related, who had burnt the believers to death by casting them into pits full of fire. By means of this story the believers and the disbelievers have been taught a few lessons. First, that just as the people of the ditch became worthy of Allah's curse and punishment, so are the chiefs of Makkah also becoming worthy of it. Second, that just as the believers at that time had willingly accepted to sacrifice their lives by being burnt to death in the pits of fire instead of turning away from the faith, so also the believers now should endure every persecution but should never give up the faith. Third, that God, acknowledging Whom displeases the disbelievers and is urged on by the believers, is Dominant and Master of the Kingdom of the earth and heavens; He is self-praiseworthy and is watching what the two groups are striving for. Therefore, it is certain that the disbelievers will not only be punished in Hell for their disbelief but, more than that, they too will suffer punishment by fire as a fit recompense for their tyranny and cruelties. Likewise, this also is certain that those, who believe and follow up their belief with good deeds, should go to Paradise and this indeed is the supreme success. Then the disbelievers have been warned, so as to say: "God's grip is very severe. If you are proud of the strength of your hosts, you should know that the hosts of Pharaoh and Thamud were even stronger and more numerous. Therefore, you should learn a lesson from the fate they met. God's power has so encompassed you that you cannot escape His encirclement, and the Quran that you are bent upon belying, is unchangeable: it is inscribed in the Preserved Tablet, which cannot be corrupted in any way."
Bismi Allahi alrrahmani alrraheemi
85 : 1
1. Waalssama-i thati alburooji
By the heaven wherein are constellations, -
85 : 2
2. Waalyawmi almawAAoodi
And by the Day which is promised, -
85 : 3
3. Washahidin wamashhoodin
And by the witness and by those who gather to be witnessed!
85 : 4
4. Qutila as-habu alukhdoodi
Woe to the owners of the Trench -
85 : 5
5. Alnnari thati alwaqoodi
A fire supplied with an abundance of fuel, -
85 : 6
6. Ith hum AAalayha quAAoodun
When they sat by it at ease -
85 : 7
7. Wahum AAala ma yafAAaloona bialmu/mineena shuhoodun
And were themselves the witnesses of that which they were doing to the believers!
85 : 8
8. Wama naqamoo minhum illa an yu/minoo biAllahi alAAazeezi alhameedi
They had no grievance against them other than that they believed in Allah, the Mighty, the Praiseworthy -
85 : 9
9. Allathee lahu mulku alssamawati waal-ardi waAllahu AAala kulli shay-in shaheedun
To whom belongs the kingdom of the heavens and the earth! And Allah is the witness over all things!
85 : 10
10. Inna allatheena fatanoo almu/mineena waalmu/minati thumma lam yatooboo falahum AAathabu jahannama walahum AAathabu alhareeqi
Those who persecute believing men and believing women and yet show no remorse, theirs will be the doom of hell and theirs will the torment of flames!
85 : 11
11. Inna allatheena amanoo waAAamiloo alssalihati lahum jannatun tajree min tahtiha al-anharu thalika alfawzu alkabeeru
But those who believe and perform righteous deeds, theirs will be Gardens beneath which rivers flow! That is the Ultimate Triumph!
85 : 12
12. Inna batsha rabbika lashadeedun
Verily the stricture of your Lord is relentless!
85 : 13
13. Innahu huwa yubdi-o wayuAAeedu
Verily He it is who creates and then re-creates!
85 : 14
14. Wahuwa alghafooru alwadoodu
And He is the Magnanimous, the Merciful!
85 : 15
15. Thoo alAAarshi almajeedi
Lord of the Glorious Throne -
85 : 16
16. FaAAAAalun lima yureedu
Who always does what He will!
85 : 17
17. Hal ataka hadeethu aljunoodi
Has the story of the armies of heretics reached you?
85 : 18
18. FirAAawna wathamooda
Of armies of Pharaoh and of the tribe of Thamud?
85 : 19
19. Bali allatheena kafaroo fee taktheebin
And yet those who disbelieve will persist with their repudiations!
85 : 20
20. WaAllahu min wara-ihim muheetun
But Allah, unknown to them, surrounds them from all sides!
85 : 21
21. Bal huwa qur-anun majeedun
This verily is the Glorious Qur'aan, -
85 : 22
22. Fee lawhin mahfoothin
Inscribed on the guarded tablet! (R)
1. By the heaven, holding the big stars .
2. And by the Promised Day (i.e. the Day of Resurrection);
3. And by the witnessing day (i.e. Friday), and by the witnessed day [i.e. the day of 'Arafāt (Hajj) the ninth of Dhul-Hījjah];
4. Cursed were the people of the ditch (the story of the Boy and the King).
5. Fire supplied (abundantly) with fuel,
6. When they sat by it (fire),
7. And they witnessed what they were doing against the believers (i.e. burning them).
8. They had nothing against them, except that they believed in Allāh, the All-Mighty, Worthy of all Praise!
9. Who, to Whom belongs the dominion of the heavens and the earth! And Allāh is Witness over everything.
10. Verily, those who put into trial the believing men and believing women (by torturing them and burning them), and then do not turn in repentance, (to Allāh), will have the torment of Hell, and they will have the punishment of the burning Fire.
11. Verily, those who believe and do righteous good deeds, for them will be Gardens under which rivers flow (Paradise). That is the great success.
12. Verily, (O Muhammad (Peace be upon him)) the Grip (Punishment) of your Lord is severe.
13. Verily, He it is Who begins (punishment) and repeats (punishment in the Hereafter) (or originates the creation of everything, and then repeats it on the Day of Resurrection).
14. And He is Oft-Forgiving, full of love (towards the pious who are real true believers of Islāmic Monotheism),
15. Owner of the throne, the Glorious
16. He does what He intends (or wills).
17. Has the story reached you of the hosts,
18. Of Fir'aun (Pharaoh) and Thamūd?
19. Nay! The disbelievers (persisted) in denying (Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him) and his Message of Islāmic Monotheism).
20. And Allāh encompasses them from behind! (i.e. all their deeds are within His Knowledge, and He will requite them for their deeds).
21. Nay! This is a Glorious Qur'ān,
22. (Inscribed) in Al-Lauh Al-Mahfūz (The Preserved Tablet)!
YUSUFALI: By the sky, (displaying) the Zodiacal Signs;
PICKTHAL: By the heaven, holding mansions of the stars,
SHAKIR: I swear by the mansions of the stars,
YUSUFALI: By the promised Day (of Judgment);
PICKTHAL: And by the Promised Day.
SHAKIR: And the promised day,
YUSUFALI: By one that witnesses, and the subject of the witness;-
PICKTHAL: And by the witness and that whereunto he beareth testimony,
SHAKIR: And the bearer of witness and those against whom the witness is borne.
YUSUFALI: Woe to the makers of the pit (of fire),
PICKTHAL: (Self-)destroyed were the owners of the ditch
SHAKIR: Cursed be the makers of the pit,
YUSUFALI: Fire supplied (abundantly) with fuel:
PICKTHAL: Of the fuel-fed fire,
SHAKIR: Of the fire (kept burning) with fuel,
YUSUFALI: Behold! they sat over against the (fire),
PICKTHAL: When they sat by it,
SHAKIR: When they sat by it,
YUSUFALI: And they witnessed (all) that they were doing against the Believers.
PICKTHAL: And were themselves the witnesses of what they did to the believers.
SHAKIR: And they were witnesses of what they did with the believers.
YUSUFALI: And they ill-treated them for no other reason than that they believed in Allah, Exalted in Power, Worthy of all Praise!-
PICKTHAL: They had naught against them save that they believed in Allah, the Mighty, the Owner of Praise,
SHAKIR: And they did not take vengeance on them for aught except that they believed in Allah, the Mighty, the Praised,
YUSUFALI: Him to Whom belongs the dominion of the heavens and the earth! And Allah is Witness to all things.
PICKTHAL: Him unto Whom belongeth the Sovereignty of the heavens and the earth; and Allah is of all things the Witness.
SHAKIR: Whose is the kingdom of the heavens and the earth; and Allah is a Witness of all things.
YUSUFALI: Those who persecute (or draw into temptation) the Believers, men and women, and do not turn in repentance, will have the Penalty of Hell: They will have the Penalty of the Burning Fire.
PICKTHAL: Lo! they who persecute believing men and believing women and repent not, theirs verily will be the doom of hell, and theirs the doom of burning.
SHAKIR: Surely (as for) those who persecute the believing men and the believing women, then do not repent, they shall have the chastisement of hell, and they shall have the chastisement of burning.
YUSUFALI: For those who believe and do righteous deeds, will be Gardens; beneath which rivers flow: That is the great Salvation, (the fulfilment of all desires),
PICKTHAL: Lo! those who believe and do good works, theirs will be Gardens underneath which rivers flow. That is the Great Success.
SHAKIR: Surely (as for) those who believe and do good, they shall have gardens beneath which rivers flow, that is the great achievement.
YUSUFALI: Truly strong is the Grip (and Power) of thy Lord.
PICKTHAL: Lo! the punishment of thy Lord is stern.
SHAKIR: Surely the might of your Lord is great.
YUSUFALI: It is He Who creates from the very beginning, and He can restore (life).
PICKTHAL: Lo! He it is Who produceth, then reproduceth,
SHAKIR: Surely He it is Who originates and reproduces,
YUSUFALI: And He is the Oft-Forgiving, Full of Loving-Kindness,
PICKTHAL: And He is the Forgiving, the Loving,
SHAKIR: And He is the Forgiving, the Loving,
YUSUFALI: Lord of the Throne of Glory,
PICKTHAL: Lord of the Throne of Glory,
SHAKIR: Lord of the Arsh, the Glorious,
YUSUFALI: Doer (without let) of all that He intends.
PICKTHAL: Doer of what He will.
SHAKIR: The great doer of what He will.
YUSUFALI: Has the story reached thee, of the forces-
PICKTHAL: Hath there come unto thee the story of the hosts
SHAKIR: Has not there come to you the story of the hosts,
YUSUFALI: Of Pharaoh and the Thamud?
PICKTHAL: Of Pharaoh and (the tribe of) Thamud?
SHAKIR: Of Firon and Samood?
YUSUFALI: And yet the Unbelievers (persist) in rejecting (the Truth)!
PICKTHAL: Nay, but those who disbelieve live in denial
SHAKIR: Nay! those who disbelieve are in (the act of) giving the lie to the truth.
YUSUFALI: But Allah doth encompass them from behind!
PICKTHAL: And Allah, all unseen, surroundeth them.
SHAKIR: And Allah encompasses them on every side.
YUSUFALI: Day, this is a Glorious Qur'an,
PICKTHAL: Nay, but it is a glorious Qur'an.
SHAKIR: Nay! it is a glorious Quran,
YUSUFALI: (Inscribed) in a Tablet Preserved!
PICKTHAL: On a guarded tablet.
SHAKIR: In a guarded tablet.