This Surah consists of 45 verses, 357 sentences, 1,494 letters and 3 Ruku’s.
The Surah derives its name from the initial letter Qaf, thereby implying that it is the Surah which opens with the alphabetic letter Qaf.
There is no authentic tradition to show as to when exactly this Surah was sent down. A study of the subject matter, however, reveals that its period of revelation is the second stage of the Holy Prophet's life at Makkah, which lasted from the third year of the Prophethood till the fifth year. We have given the characteristics of this period in the Introduction to the Surah Al-An'am. In view of those characteristics it can be said that this Surah might have been sent down in about the 5th year, when the antagonism of the disbelievers had become quite intense but had not yet assumed tyrannical proportions.
Authentic traditions show that the Holy Prophet used to recite this Surah generally in the Prayer on the Eid days. A woman named Umm Hisham bin Harithah, wbo was a neighbour of the Holy Prophet, says that she was able to commit Surah Qaf to memory only because she often heard it from the Holy Prophet in the Friday sermons. According to some other traditions he often recited it in the Fajr Prayer. This makes it abundantly clear that this was an important Surah in the sight of the Holy Prophet. That is why he made sure that its contents reached as many people as possible over and over again.
This reason for this importance can be easily understood by a careful study of the Surah. The theme of the entire Surah is the Hereafter. When the Holy Prophet started preaching his message in Makkah what surprised the people most was the news that people would be resurrected after death, and they would have to render an account of their deeds. They said that that was impossible; human mind could not believe that that would happen. After all, how could it be possible that when the body had disintegrated into dust the scattered particles would be reassembled after hundreds of thousands of years to make up the same body once again and raised up as a living body, Allah in response sent down this discourse. In it, on the one hand, arguments have been given for the possibility and occurrence of the Hereafter in a brief way, in short sentences, and, on the other, the people have been warned, as if to say: "Whether you express wonder and surprise, or you regard it as something remote from reason, or deny it altogether, in any case it cannot change the truth. The absolute, un-alterable truth is that Allah knows the whereabouts of each and every particle of your body that has scattered away in the earth, and knows where and in what state it is. Allah's one signal is enough to make all the scattered particles gather together again and to make you rise up once again as you had been made in the first instance. Likewise, this idea that you have been created and left free to yourselves in the world and that you have not been made answerable to anyone, is no more than a misunderstanding. The fact is that not only is Allah Himself directly aware of each act and word of yours, even of the ideas that pass in your mind, but His angels also are attached to each one of you, who are preserving the record of whatever you do and utter. When the time comes, you will come out of your graves at one call just as young shoots of vegetable sprout up from the earth on the first shower of the rain. Then this heedlessness which obstructs your vision will be removed and you will see with your own eyes all that you are denying today. At that time you will realize that you had not been created to be irresponsible in this world but accountable to all your deeds. The meting out of the rewards and punishments, the Hell and Heaven, which you regard as impossible and imaginary things, will at that time become visible realities for you. In consequence of your enmity and opposition to the Truth you will be cast into the same Hell which you regard as remote from reason today and the ones who fear the Merciful God and return to the path of righteousness, will be admitted to the same Paradise at whose mention you now express wonder and surprise.
IMPORTANT: Please note that the Digest is based upon these outstanding translations and they have been reproduced here for the benefit of serious readers of the Qur’aan; the copyrights of these works are held by their respective authors/publishers from whom they can be purchased by anyone interested in acquiring them and we ardently hope that no offence will be taken by their inclusion.
50 : 1
1. Qaf waalqur-ani almajeedi
Qaf. By the magnificent Qur'aan!
50 : 2
2. Bal AAajiboo an jaahum munthirun minhum faqala alkafiroona hatha shay-on AAajeebun
Nay, but they seem amazed that there has come to them a warner from their own midst! So those who disbelieve say : 'How odd -
50 : 3
3. A-itha mitna wakunna turaban thalika rajAAun baAAeedun
'That after we are dead and have turned into dust, we shall be raised again! How remote a possibility of such a return!'
50 : 4
4. Qad AAalimna ma tanqusu al-ardu minhum waAAindana kitabun hafeethun
We know how much of their remains is swallowed by the earth and with Us is the Book that records all things.
50 : 5
5. Bal kaththaboo bialhaqqi lamma jaahum fahum fee amrin mareejin
Nay, but they repudiated the Truth when it came to them and are embroiled in baseless arguments.
50 : 6
6. Afalam yanthuroo ila alssama-i fawqahum kayfa banaynaha wazayyannaha wama laha min furoojin
Have they not gazed at the sky, how We have arched it over them and have arrayed it and have rendered it flawless?
50 : 7
7. Waal-arda madadnaha waalqayna feeha rawasiya waanbatna feeha min kulli zawjin baheejin
How We have given the earth its infinite dimensions and have place upon it sturdy mountains and have caused a myriad plants to grow all over it in exquisite pairs?
50 : 8
8. Tabsiratan wathikra likulli AAabdin muneebin
A vision and a reminder for everyone of Our bondsmen who introspect!
50 : 9
9. Wanazzalna mina alssama-i maan mubarakan faanbatna bihi jannatin wahabba alhaseedi
And We send down from the sky blessed water with which We cause gardens and crops of grain to grow -
50 : 10
10. Waalnnakhla basiqatin laha talAAun nadeedun
And the lofty trees of date palm laden with ripe yield -
50 : 11
11. Rizqan lilAAibadi waahyayna bihi baldatan maytan kathalika alkhurooju
By way of provision for Our bondsmen! And with it We bring the dead land back to life in the same way as you too shall be resurrected from the dead!
50 : 12
12. Kaththabat qablahum qawmu noohin waas-habu alrrassi wathamoodu
The folk of Noah repudiated the Truth before them, as did the dwellers of Ar-Ras and the tribe of Thamud -
50 : 13
13. WaAAadun wafirAAawnu wa-ikhwanu lootin
And the tribe of Aad and Pharaoh and the brotherhood of Lot -
50 : 14
14. Waas-habu al-aykati waqawmu tubbaAAin kullun kaththaba alrrusula fahaqqa waAAeedi
And the dwellers of Midian, and the folk of Tubb'a. Every one repudiated their messengers and hence My threat of retribution came about!
50 : 15
15. AfaAAayeena bialkhalqi al-awwali bal hum fee labsin min khalqin jadeedin
Were We then exhausted after the first creation that they should be uncertain about a new creation? (R)
OTHER TRANSLATIONS BY MUHSIN, YUSUFALI, PICKTHAL AND SHAKIR:
[These letters (Qâf, etc.) are one of the miracles of the Qur'ân, and none but Allâh (Alone) knows their meanings].
By the Glorious Qur'ân.
2. Nay, they wonder that there has come to them a warner (Muhammad SAW) from among themselves. So the disbelievers say: "This is a strange thing!
3. "When we are dead and have become dust (shall we be resurrected?) That is a far return."
4. We know that which the earth takes of them (their dead bodies), and with Us is a Book preserved (i.e. the Book of Decrees).
5. Nay, but they have denied the truth (this Qur'ân) when it has come to them, so they are in a confused state (can not differentiate between right and wrong).
6. Have they not looked at the heaven above them, how We have made it and adorned it, and there are no rifts in it?
7. And the earth! We have spread it out, and set thereon mountains standing firm, and have produced therein every kind of lovely growth (plants).
8. An insight and a Reminder for every slave turning to Allâh (i.e. the one who believes in Allâh and performs deeds of His obedience, and always begs His pardon).
9. And We send down blessed water (rain) from the sky, then We produce therewith gardens and grain (every kind of harvests) that are reaped.
10. And tall date-palms, with ranged clusters;
11. A provision for (Allâh's) slaves. And We give life therewith to a dead land. Thus will be the resurrection (of the dead).
12. Denied before them (i.e. these pagans of Makkah who denied you, O Muhammad SAW) the people of Nûh (Noah), and the dwellers of Rass, and the Thamûd,
13. And 'Ad, and Fir'aun (Pharaoh), and the brethren of Lout (Lot),
14. And the dwellers of the Wood, and the people of Tubba'; everyone of them denied (their) Messengers, so My Threat took effect.
15. Were We then tired with the first creation? Nay, They are in confused doubt about a new creation (i.e. Resurrection)?
YUSUFALI: Qaf: By the Glorious Qur'an (Thou art Allah's Messenger).
PICKTHAL: Qaf. By the Glorious Qur'an,
SHAKIR: Qaf. I swear by the glorious Quran (that Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah)
YUSUFALI: But they wonder that there has come to them a Warner from among themselves. So the Unbelievers say: "This is a wonderful thing!
PICKTHAL: Nay, but they marvel that a warner of their own hath come unto them; and the disbelievers say: This is a strange thing:
SHAKIR: Nay! they wonder that there has come to them a warner from among themselves, so the unbelievers say: This is a wonderful thing:
YUSUFALI: "What! When we die and become dust, (shall we live again?) That is a (sort of) return far (from our understanding)."
PICKTHAL: When we are dead and have become dust (shall we be brought back again)? That would be a far return!
SHAKIR: What! when we are dead and have become dust? That is afar (from probable) return.
YUSUFALI: We already know how much of them the earth takes away: With Us is a record guarding (the full account).
PICKTHAL: We know that which the earth taketh of them, and with Us is a recording Book.
SHAKIR: We know indeed what the earth diminishes of them, and with Us is a writing that preserves.
YUSUFALI: But they deny the Truth when it comes to them: so they are in a confused state.
PICKTHAL: Nay, but they have denied the truth when it came unto them, therefor they are now in troubled case.
SHAKIR: Nay, they rejected the truth when it came to them, so they are (now) in a state of confusion.
YUSUFALI: Do they not look at the sky above them?- How We have made it and adorned it, and there are no flaws in it?
PICKTHAL: Have they not then observed the sky above them, how We have constructed it and beautified it, and how there are no rifts therein?
SHAKIR: Do they not then look up to heaven above them how We have made it and adorned it and it has no gaps?
YUSUFALI: And the earth- We have spread it out, and set thereon mountains standing firm, and produced therein every kind of beautiful growth (in pairs)-
PICKTHAL: And the earth have We spread out, and have flung firm hills therein, and have caused of every lovely kind to grow thereon,
SHAKIR: And the earth, We have made it plain and cast in it mountains and We have made to grow therein of all beautiful kinds,
YUSUFALI: To be observed and commemorated by every devotee turning (to Allah).
PICKTHAL: A vision and a reminder for every penitent slave.
SHAKIR: To give sight and as a reminder to every servant who turns frequently (to Allah).
YUSUFALI: And We send down from the sky rain charted with blessing, and We produce therewith gardens and Grain for harvests;
PICKTHAL: And We send down from the sky blessed water whereby We give growth unto gardens and the grain of crops,
SHAKIR: And We send down from the cloud water abounding in good, then We cause to grow thereby gardens and the grain that is reaped,
YUSUFALI: And tall (and stately) palm-trees, with shoots of fruit-stalks, piled one over another;-
PICKTHAL: And lofty date-palms with ranged clusters,
SHAKIR: And the tall palm-trees having spadices closely set one above another,
YUSUFALI: As sustenance for (Allah's) Servants;- and We give (new) life therewith to land that is dead: Thus will be the Resurrection.
PICKTHAL: Provision (made) for men; and therewith We quicken a dead land. Even so will be the resurrection of the dead.
SHAKIR: A sustenance for the servants, and We give life thereby to a dead land; thus is the rising.
YUSUFALI: Before them was denied (the Hereafter) by the People of Noah, the Companions of the Rass, the Thamud,
PICKTHAL: The folk of Noah denied (the truth) before them, and (so did) the dwellers at Ar-Rass and (the tribe of) Thamud,
SHAKIR: (Others) before them rejected (prophets): the people of Nuh and the dwellers of Ar-Rass and Samood,
YUSUFALI: The 'Ad, Pharaoh, the brethren of Lut,
PICKTHAL: And (the tribe of) A'ad, and Pharaoh, and the brethren of Lot,
SHAKIR: And Ad and Firon and Lut's brethren,
YUSUFALI: The Companions of the Wood, and the People of Tubba'; each one (of them) rejected the messengers, and My warning was duly fulfilled (in them).
PICKTHAL: And the dwellers in the wood, and the folk of Tubb'a: every one denied their messengers, therefor My threat took effect.
SHAKIR: And the dwellers of the grove and the people of Tuba; all rejected the messengers, so My threat came to pass.
YUSUFALI: Were We then weary with the first Creation, that they should be in confused doubt about a new Creation?
PICKTHAL: Were We then worn out by the first creation? Yet they are in doubt about a new creation.
SHAKIR: Were We then fatigued with the first creation? Yet are they in doubt with regard to a new creation.
50 : 16
16. Walaqad khalaqna al-insana wanaAAlamu ma tuwaswisu bihi nafsuhu wanahnu aqrabu ilayhi min habli alwareedi
Verily We created man and are aware of the temptations which stir within him and We are closer to him than his jugular vein!
50 : 17
17. Ith yatalaqqa almutalaqqiyani AAani alyameeni waAAani alshshimali qaAAeedun
Beware of the two guardian angels, one seated by his right hand and the other by his left -
50 : 18
18. Ma yalfithu min qawlin illa ladayhi raqeebun AAateedun
He utters not a single word that is not recorded by them!
50 : 19
19. Wajaat sakratu almawti bialhaqqi thalika ma kunta minhu taheedu
And the agony of death reveals the truth : 'This is that which you used to spurn!'
50 : 20
20. Wanufikha fee alssoori thalika yawmu alwaAAeedi
And the Trumpet is blown! This is the promised Day of retribution!
50 : 21
21. Wajaat kullu nafsin maAAaha sa-iqun washaheedun
And every soul arrives, flanked by one who drags him and one who bears witness.
50 : 22
22. Laqad kunta fee ghaflatin min hatha fakashafna AAanka ghitaaka fabasaruka alyawma hadeedun
And (it is said to the sinful) : Verily you were oblivious to this! Now that We have removed your blindfold, your vision has become sharp this Day!'
50 : 23
23. Waqala qareenuhu hatha ma ladayya AAateedun
And (to the sinner) says his comrade : 'This is what I have brought with me as my testimony against you!'
50 : 24
24. Alqiya fee jahannama kulla kaffarin AAaneedin
(And it is commanded to them) : 'Toss every one of the ungrateful reprobates into hell -
50 : 25
25. MannaAAin lilkhayri muAAtadin mureebin
'He that hindered good and he that transgressed and he that questioned and -
50 : 26
26. Allathee jaAAala maAAa Allahi ilahan akhara faalqiyahu fee alAAathabi alshshadeedi
'He that set up other gods besides Allah! Subject him to the most severe stricture!
50 : 27
27. Qala qareenuhu rabbana ma atghaytuhu walakin kana fee dalalin baAAeedin
His companion (the devil) will say : 'My Lord! I did not beguile him but he strayed away in his error by his own choice!'
50 : 28
28. Qala la takhtasimoo ladayya waqad qaddamtu ilaykum bialwaAAeedi
He will say : 'Squabble not in My presence when I had already given you warnings about this!
50 : 29
29. Ma yubaddalu alqawlu ladayya wama ana bithallamin lilAAabeedi
'The verdict which is pronounced by Me never alters, nor do I tyrannize my bondsmen!' (R)
OTHER TRANSLATIONS BY MUHSIN, YUSUFALI, PICKTHAL AND SHAKIR:
16. And indeed We have created man, and We know what his ownself whispers to him. And We are nearer to him than his jugular vein (by Our Knowledge).
17. (Remember!) that the two receivers (recording angels) receive (each human being after he or she has attained the age of puberty), one sitting on the right and one on the left (to note his or her actions) .
18. Not a word does he (or she) utter, but there is a watcher by him ready (to record it).
19. And the stupor of death will come in truth: "This is what you have been avoiding!"
20. And the Trumpet will be blown, that will be the Day whereof warning (had been given) (i.e. the Day of Resurrection).
21. And every person will come forth along with an (angel) to drive (him), and an (angel) to bear witness.
22. (It will be said to the sinners): "Indeed you were heedless of this, now We have removed your covering, and sharp is your sight this Day!"
23. And his companion (angel) will say: "Here is (this Record) ready with me!"
24. (And it will be said): "Both of you throw (Order from Allâh to the two angels) into Hell, every stubborn disbeliever (in the Oneness of Allâh, in His Messengers, etc.).
25. "Hinderer of good, transgressor, doubter,
26. "Who set up another ilâh (god) with Allâh, then (both of you) cast him in the severe torment."
27. His companion (Satan devil)] will say: "Our Lord! I did not push him to transgress, (in disbelief, oppression, and evil deeds) but he was himself in error far astray."
28. Allâh will say: "Dispute not in front of Me, I had already, in advance, sent you the threat.
29. The Sentence that comes from Me cannot be changed, and I am not unjust (to the least) to the slaves."
YUSUFALI: It was We Who created man, and We know what dark suggestions his soul makes to him: for We are nearer to him than (his) jugular vein.
PICKTHAL: We verily created man and We know what his soul whispereth to him, and We are nearer to him than his jugular vein.
SHAKIR: And certainly We created man, and We know what his mind suggests to him, and We are nearer to him than his life-vein.
YUSUFALI: Behold, two (guardian angels) appointed to learn (his doings) learn (and noted them), one sitting on the right and one on the left.
PICKTHAL: When the two Receivers receive (him), seated on the right hand and on the left,
SHAKIR: When the two receivers receive, sitting on the right and on the left.
YUSUFALI: Not a word does he utter but there is a sentinel by him, ready (to note it).
PICKTHAL: He uttereth no word but there is with him an observer ready.
SHAKIR: He utters not a word but there is by him a watcher at hand.
YUSUFALI: And the stupor of death will bring Truth (before his eyes): "This was the thing which thou wast trying to escape!"
PICKTHAL: And the agony of death cometh in truth. (And it is said unto him): This is that which thou wast wont to shun.
SHAKIR: And the stupor of death will come in truth; that is what you were trying to escape.
YUSUFALI: And the Trumpet shall be blown: that will be the Day whereof Warning (had been given).
PICKTHAL: And the trumpet is blown. This is the threatened Day.
SHAKIR: And the trumpet shall be blown; that is the day of the threatening.
YUSUFALI: And there will come forth every soul: with each will be an (angel) to drive, and an (angel) to bear witness.
PICKTHAL: And every soul cometh, along with it a driver and a witness.
SHAKIR: And every soul shall come, with it a driver and a witness.
YUSUFALI: (It will be said:) "Thou wast heedless of this; now have We removed thy veil, and sharp is thy sight this Day!"
PICKTHAL: (And unto the evil-doer it is said): Thou wast in heedlessness of this. Now We have removed from thee thy covering, and piercing is thy sight this day.
SHAKIR: Certainly you were heedless of it, but now We have removed from you your veil, so your sight today is sharp.
YUSUFALI: And his Companion will say: "Here is (his Record) ready with me!"
PICKTHAL: And (unto the evil-doer) his comrade saith: This is that which I have ready (as testimony).
SHAKIR: And his companions shall say: This is what is ready with me.
YUSUFALI: (The sentence will be:) "Throw, throw into Hell every contumacious Rejecter (of Allah)!-
PICKTHAL: (And it is said): Do ye twain hurl to hell each rebel ingrate,
SHAKIR: Do cast into hell every ungrateful, rebellious one,
YUSUFALI: "Who forbade what was good, transgressed all bounds, cast doubts and suspicions;
PICKTHAL: Hinderer of good, transgressor, doubter,
SHAKIR: Forbidder of good, exceeder of limits, doubter,
YUSUFALI: "Who set up another god beside Allah: Throw him into a severe penalty."
PICKTHAL: Who setteth up another god along with Allah. Do ye twain hurl him to the dreadful doom.
SHAKIR: Who sets up another god with Allah, so do cast him into severe chastisement.
YUSUFALI: His Companion will say: "Our Lord! I did not make him transgress, but he was (himself) far astray."
PICKTHAL: His comrade saith: Our Lord! I did not cause him to rebel, but he was (himself) far gone in error.
SHAKIR: His companion will say: Our Lord! I did not lead him into inordinacy but he himself was in a great error.
YUSUFALI: He will say: "Dispute not with each other in My Presence: I had already in advance sent you Warning.
PICKTHAL: He saith: Contend not in My presence, when I had already proffered unto you the warning.
SHAKIR: He will say: Do not quarrel in My presence, and indeed I gave you the threatening beforehand:
YUSUFALI: "The Word changes not before Me, and I do not the least injustice to My Servants."
PICKTHAL: The sentence that cometh from Me cannot be changed, and I am in no wise a tyrant unto the slaves.
SHAKIR: My word shall not be changed, nor am I in the least unjust to the servants.
50 : 30
30. Yawma naqoolu lijahannama hali imtala/ti wataqoolu hal min mazeedin
On the Day when We say to Hell : 'Are you swamped?' it says : 'Are there more to come?'
50 : 31
31. Waozlifati aljannatu lilmuttaqeena ghayra baAAeedin
And the Garden is brought closer to the abstemious and is never far from them!
50 : 32
32. Hatha ma tooAAadoona likulli awwabin hafeethin
And (it is said to them) : 'This is what you were promised! And it is only for those who were penitent and solicitous -
50 : 33
33. Man khashiya alrrahmana bialghaybi wajaa biqalbin muneebin
'Who fear the Beneficent from within and bring with them a responsive heart!
50 : 34
34. Odkhulooha bisalamin thalika yawmu alkhuloodi
'Enter it in peace, for this Day you become immortal!'
50 : 35
35. Lahum ma yashaoona feeha waladayna mazeedun
Therein for them is everything which they desire and with Us for them is more!
50 : 36
36. Wakam ahlakna qablahum min qarnin hum ashaddu minhum batshan fanaqqaboo fee albiladi hal min maheesin
How many a generation did We annihilate before them who were mightier in accomplishment and toiled harder in their townships! Yet, had they a refuge to flee to when the judgement was pronounced against them?
50 : 37
37. Inna fee thalika lathikra liman kana lahu qalbun aw alqa alssamAAa wahuwa shaheedun
Verily there is a reminder in it for him who has the heart and who lends his ear with due cogitation!
* * *
Context of Revelation : The following verse was revealed when the Jews claimed Allah did create the universe in six days, but on the seventh day He was so tired that He reposed in order to recover Himself. When the Prophet came to know about it, he was so incensed that his face turned red from sheer rage.
50 : 38
38. Walaqad khalaqna alssamawati waal-arda wama baynahuma fee sittati ayyamin wama massana min lughoobin
verily We did create the heavens and the earth and all that lies between them in six days but exhaustion never touched Us !
* * *
50 : 39
39. Faisbir AAala ma yaqooloona wasabbih bihamdi rabbika qabla tulooAAi alshshamsi waqabla alghuroobi
Therefore (O Mohammed) be patient with whatever they say and hymn the praises of your Lord before the sun rises and before it sets!
50 : 40
40. Wamina allayli fasabbihhu waadbara alssujoodi
And after the night has fallen hymn His praise, and after prostration in your routine worship -
50 : 41
41. WaistamiAA yawma yunadi almunadi min makanin qareebin
And listen on the Day when the Summoner summons from close proximity -
50 : 42
42. Yawma yasmaAAoona alssayhata bialhaqqi thalika yawmu alkhurooji
The Day when they hear the sepulchral cry in truth! That is the Day of emergence from graves!
50 : 43
43. Inna nahnu nuhyee wanumeetu wa-ilayna almaseeru
Verily We it is who bestow life and inflict death and to Us is the returning of all!
50 : 44
44. Yawma tashaqqaqu al-ardu AAanhum siraAAan thalika hashrun AAalayna yaseerun
On the Day when the earth above them splits apart, they will emerge in great haste - for an assembly, which is easy for Us to muster!
50 : 45
45. Nahnu aAAlamu bima yaqooloona wama anta AAalayhim bijabbarin fathakkir bialqur-ani man yakhafu waAAeedi
We are best aware of that which they say; and you (O Mohammed) are by no means an enforcer over them! But warn through this Qur'aan him who fears My threat! (R)
OTHER TRANSLATIONS BY MUHSIN, YUSUFALI, PICKTHAL AND SHAKIR:
30. On the Day when We will say to Hell: "Are you filled?" It will say: "Are there any more (to come)?"
31. And Paradise will be brought near to the Muttaqûn (pious - see V.2:2) not far off.
32. (It will be said): "This is what you were promised, - (it is) for those oft-returning (to Allâh) in sincere repentance, and those who preserve their covenant with Allâh (by obeying Him in all what He has ordered, and worship none but Allâh Alone, i.e. follow Allâh's Religion, Islâmic Monotheism).
33. "Who feared the Most Beneficent (Allâh) in the Ghaib (unseen): (i.e. in this worldly life before seeing and meeting Him), and brought a heart turned in repentance (to Him - and absolutely free from each and every kind of polytheism),
34. "Enter you therein in peace and security; this is a Day of eternal life!"
35. There they will have all that they desire, and We have more (for them, i.e. a glance at the All-Mighty, All-Majestic Ìá ÌáÇáå ).
36. And how many a generation We have destroyed before them, who were stronger in power than them, and (when Our Torment came) they ran for a refuge in the land! Could they find any place of refuge (for them to save themselves from destruction)?
37. Verily, therein is indeed a reminder for him who has a heart or gives ear while he is heedful.
38. And indeed We created the heavens and the earth and all between them in six Days and nothing of fatigue touched Us.
39. So bear with patience (O Muhammad SAW) all that they say, and glorify the Praises of your Lord, before the rising of the sun and before (its) setting (i.e. the Fajr, Zuhr, and 'Asr prayers) .
40. And during a part of the night (also), glorify His praises (i.e. Maghrib and 'Isha prayers), and (so likewise) after the prayers [As-Sunnah, Nawâfil optional and additional prayers, and also glorify, praise and magnify Allâh - Subhân Allâh, Alhamdu lillâh, Allâhu-Akbar].
41. And listen on the Day when the caller will call from a near place,
42. The Day when they will hear As-Saihah (shout, etc.) in truth, that will be the Day of coming out (from the graves i.e. the Day of Resurrection).
43. Verily, We it is Who give life and cause death; and to Us is the final return,
44. On the Day when the earth shall be cleft, from off them, (they will come out) hastening forth. That will be a gathering, quite easy for Us.
45. We know of best what they say; and you (O Muhammad SAW) are not a tyrant over them (to force them to Belief). But warn by the Qur'ân, him who fears My Threat.
YUSUFALI: One Day We will ask Hell, "Art thou filled to the full?" It will say, "Are there any more (to come)?"
PICKTHAL: On the day when We say unto hell: Art thou filled? and it saith: Can there be more to come?
SHAKIR: On the day that We will say to hell: Are you filled up? And it will say: Are there any more?
YUSUFALI: And the Garden will be brought nigh to the Righteous,- no more a thing distant.
PICKTHAL: And the Garden is brought nigh for those who kept from evil, no longer distant.
SHAKIR: And the garden shall be brought near to those who guard (against evil), not far off:
YUSUFALI: (A voice will say:) "This is what was promised for you,- for every one who turned (to Allah) in sincere repentance, who kept (His Law),
PICKTHAL: (And it is said): This is that which ye were promised. (It is) for every penitent and heedful one,
SHAKIR: This is what you were promised, (it is) for every one who turns frequently (to Allah), keeps (His limits);
YUSUFALI: "Who feared (Allah) Most Gracious Unseen, and brought a heart turned in devotion (to Him):
PICKTHAL: Who feareth the Beneficent in secret and cometh with a contrite heart.
SHAKIR: Who fears the Beneficent Allah in secret and comes with a penitent heart:
YUSUFALI: "Enter ye therein in Peace and Security; this is a Day of Eternal Life!"
PICKTHAL: Enter it in peace. This is the day of immortality.
SHAKIR: Enter it in peace, that is the day of abiding.
YUSUFALI: There will be for them therein all that they wish,- and more besides in Our Presence.
PICKTHAL: There they have all that they desire, and there is more with Us.
SHAKIR: They have therein what they wish and with Us is more yet.
YUSUFALI: But how many generations before them did We destroy (for their sins),- stronger in power than they? Then did they wander through the land: was there any place of escape (for them)?
PICKTHAL: And how many a generation We destroyed before them, who were mightier than these in prowess so that they overran the lands! Had they any place of refuge (when the judgment came)?
SHAKIR: And how many a generation did We destroy before them who were mightier in prowess than they, so they went about and about in the lands. Is there a place of refuge?
YUSUFALI: Verily in this is a Message for any that has a heart and understanding or who gives ear and earnestly witnesses (the truth).
PICKTHAL: Lo! therein verily is a reminder for him who hath a heart, or giveth ear with full intelligence.
SHAKIR: Most surely there is a reminder in this for him who has a heart or he gives ear and is a witness.
YUSUFALI: We created the heavens and the earth and all between them in Six Days, nor did any sense of weariness touch Us.
PICKTHAL: And verily We created the heavens and the earth, and all that is between them, in six Days, and naught of weariness touched Us.
SHAKIR: And certainly We created the heavens and the earth and what is between them in six periods and there touched Us not any fatigue.
YUSUFALI: Bear, then, with patience, all that they say, and celebrate the praises of thy Lord, before the rising of the sun and before (its) setting.
PICKTHAL: Therefor (O Muhammad) bear with what they say, and hymn the praise of thy Lord before the rising and before the setting of the sun;
SHAKIR: Therefore be patient of what they say, and sing the praise of your Lord before the rising of the sun and before the setting.
YUSUFALI: And during part of the night, (also,) celebrate His praises, and (so likewise) after the postures of adoration.
PICKTHAL: And in the night-time hymn His praise, and after the (prescribed) prostrations.
SHAKIR: And glorify Him in the night and after the prayers.
YUSUFALI: And listen for the Day when the Caller will call out from a place quiet near,-
PICKTHAL: And listen on the day when the crier crieth from a near place,
SHAKIR: And listen on the day when the crier shall cry from a near place
YUSUFALI: The Day when they will hear a (mighty) Blast in (very) truth: that will be the Day of Resurrection.
PICKTHAL: The day when they will hear the (Awful) Cry in truth. That is the day of coming forth (from the graves).
SHAKIR: The day when they shall hear the cry in truth; that is the day of coming forth.
YUSUFALI: Verily it is We Who give Life and Death; and to Us is the Final Goal-
PICKTHAL: Lo! We it is Who quicken and give death, and unto Us is the journeying.
SHAKIR: Surely We give life and cause to die, and to Us is the eventual coming;
YUSUFALI: The Day when the Earth will be rent asunder, from (men) hurrying out: that will be a gathering together,- quite easy for Us.
PICKTHAL: On the day when the earth splitteth asunder from them, hastening forth (they come). That is a gathering easy for Us (to make).
SHAKIR: The day on which the earth shall cleave asunder under them, they will make haste; that is a gathering together easy to Us.
YUSUFALI: We know best what they say; and thou art not one to overawe them by force. So admonish with the Qur'an such as fear My Warning!
PICKTHAL: We are Best Aware of what they say, and thou (O Muhammad) art in no wise a compeller over them. But warn by the Qur'an him who feareth My threat.
SHAKIR: We know best what they say, and you are not one to compel them; therefore remind him by means of the Quran who fears My threat.