This Surah consists of 89 verses, 3,400 letters and 7 Ruku's.
It is derived from the word zukhruf-an which occurs in verse 33 of this Surah.
It could not be known from any authentic tradition, but a study of its subject matter shows that this Surah also was sent down in the same period in which the Surahs Al Mumin, As Sajdah and Ash Shura, were sent down. It appears that the revelation of this series of the Surahs began when the disbelievers of Makkah were planning to put an end to the Holy Prophet's life. Day and night they were holding consultations in their assemblies as how to eliminate him, and even an attack on his life also had been made as has been clearly referred to in vv. 79-80.
In this Surah a forceful and severe criticism has been made of the Quraish and the common Arabs creeds and superstitions of ignorance in which they persisted, and their stubbornness has been exposed in a firm and effective way, so that every member of the society, who was reasonable in some degree, should be made to consider the evils in which the community was involved and its tyrannical treatment of the person who was trying to redeem it.
The discourse starts in a way as if to say: "You, by means of your mischiefs, want that the revelation of this Book should be stopped, but Allah has never withheld the appointment of His Prophets and the revelation of His Books because of the mischief of the people, but has destroyed the wicked people, who obstructed the way of His guidance. The same He will do again. A little further in vv. 41-43 and 79-80 the same thing has been reiterated. Though the people who were plotting against his life are meant, the Holy Prophet has been addressed to the effect: "whether you remain alive or not, We will certainly punish the wicked," and the people themselves have been plainly warned to the effect: "If you have decided to take an action against Our Prophet, We too will take a decisive action."
Then, it has been told what is the reality of the religion that the people are following so devotedly and what are the arguments on whose strength they are resisting Muhammad (upon whom be Allah's peace and Blessings).
They themselves admit that the Creator of the earth and heavens and of themselves and their deities is only Allah. They also know and admit that the blessings they are benefiting from, have been bestowed by Allah; yet they insist on making others associates of Allah in His Godhead. They regard the servants as the children of Allah, and that too daughters, whom they regard as disgraceful for themselves.
They believe that the angels are goddesses; they have carved their images as females; they adorn them with female dresses and ornaments, and call them daughters of Allah: they worship them and invoke them for the fulfilment of their needs. How did they know that the angels were female?
When they are rebuked for these superstitions, they present the pretence of destiny and say: "Had Allah disapproved of these our practices, we could not have worshipped these images, whereas the means of finding out whether Allah had approved of something or not, are His Books and not those things which are happening in the world according to His Will. For under His Will not only idol worship but crimes like theft and adultery, robbery, murder, etc. also are being committed. Can this argument be used to justify as right and proper this commission of every crime and evil in the world?
When it is asked:Have you any other authority, apart from this wrong argument, for the polytheism of yours? They reply, "The same has been the practice since the time of our forefathers." In other words, this in their opinion is a strong enough argument for a creed's being right and true, whereas the Prophet Ibrahim, descent from whom is the only basis of their pride and distinction, had rejected the religion of his elders and left his home, and he had discarded every such blind imitation of his forefathers, which did not have the support of any rational argument. Then, if these people had to follow their elders only, for this also they selected their most ignorant elders and abandoned their most illustrious elders like the Prophets Abraham and Ishmael (on whom be peace).
When they are asked: "Has ever a Prophet or a Book sent down by God also given this teaching that others beside Allah too are worthy of worship? they present this practice of the Christians as an argument that they took Jesus son of Mary as son of God and worshipped him; whereas the question was not whether the community of a Prophet had committed shirk or not, but whether a Prophet had himself taught shirk. Jesus son of Mary had never said that he was son of God and that the people should worship him. His own was the same teaching which every other Prophet had given: "My Lord as well as your Lord is Allah: so worship Him alone."
They were disinclined to believe in the Prophethood of the Holy Prophet because he was neither a rich man nor a person of high worldly position and rank. They said "Had Allah willed to appoint a prophet among us, He would have appointed one of the great men of our two cities (Makkah and Taif). On that very basis, Pharaoh also had looked down upon the Prophet Moses and said: "If Allah, the King of the heavens, had to send a messenger to me, the king of the earth, He would have sent him with bracelets of gold and a company of angels in attendance. Wherefrom has this mendicant appeared? I am superior to him, for the kingdom of Egypt belongs to me, and the canals of the River Nile are flowing under my control. What is the status of this man as against me? He has neither wealth nor authority."
Thus, after criticising each practice of ignorance of the disbelievers and rejecting it with rational arguments, it has been pointed out: "Neither has God any offspring, nor are there separate gods of the earth and heavens, nor is there any intercessor who may be able to protect from His punishment those who adopt deviation knowingly. Allah is far above this that He should have children. He alone is the God of the whole Universe: all others are His servants and not associates in His attributes and powers, and only such men can intercede with Him, who are themselves followers of the Truth and they also can intercede only for those who may have adopted obedience of the Truth in the world."
IMPORTANT: Please note that the Digest is based upon these outstanding translations and they have been reproduced here for the benefit of serious readers of the Quraan; the copyrights of these works are held by their respective authors/publishers from whom they can be purchased by anyone interested in acquiring them and we ardently hope that no offence will be taken by their inclusion.
Bismi Allahi alrrahmani alrraheemi
43 : 1
43 : 2
2. Waalkitabi almubeeni
By the Scripture that makes plain.
43 : 3
3. Inna jaAAalnahu qur-anan AAarabiyyan laAAallakum taAAqiloona
We have revealed this Qur'aan in the Arabic language so that you may understand it.
43 : 4
4. Wa-innahu fee ommi alkitabi ladayna laAAaliyyun hakeemun
Verily in the Mother-of-Books which We possess, it is the most transcendent and the most consummate!
5. Afanadribu AAankumu alththikra safhan an kuntum qawman musrifeena
Shall We suspend sending the Reminder to you because you are transgressors?
43 : 6
6. Wakam arsalna min nabiyyin fee al-awwaleena
How many a prophet have We sent towards the past generations!
43 : 7
7. Wama ya/teehim min nabiyyin illa kanoo bihi yastahzi-oona
And there never came to them a Prophet but they used to mock at him!
43 : 8
8. Faahlakna ashadda minhum batshan wamada mathalu al-awwaleena
So We destroyed them, though they were superior to these in might! And the example of past generations is already before them!
43 : 9
9. Wala-in saaltahum man khalaqa alssamawati waal-arda layaqoolunna khalaqahunna alAAazeezu alAAaleemu
And if you asked them (O Mohammed) : 'Who created the heavens and the earth?' They will surely say : 'The Supreme, the Erudite has created them!
43 : 10
10. Allathee jaAAala lakumu al-arda mahdan wajaAAala lakum feeha subulan laAAallakum tahtadoona
(He) Who made the earth a place of repose for you and made on it tracks so that you may find your way around;
43 : 11
11. Waallathee nazzala mina alssama-i maan biqadarin faansharna bihi baldatan maytan kathalika tukhrajoona
And Who sends down water from the sky in appropriate quantities with which We revive the dead earth in the same way as you too would be brought out from the earth dead!
43 : 12
12. Waallathee khalaqa al-azwaja kullaha wajaAAala lakum mina alfulki waal-anAAami ma tarkaboona
He who created all as pairs and who provided for you ships and beasts of burden to ride -
43 : 13
13. Litastawoo AAala thuhoorihi thumma tathkuroo niAAmata rabbikum itha istawaytum AAalayhi wataqooloo subhana allathee sakhkhara lana hatha wama kunna lahu muqrineena
So that you may climb on their backs and remember your Lord's favour after you have firmly positioned yourselves on them and say : 'Glorified be He who has brought these under our control whereas we were not capable of controlling them by ourselves!
43 : 14
14. Wa-inna ila rabbina lamunqaliboona
'And verily to our Lord it is that we all must return!'
43 : 15
15. WajaAAaloo lahu min AAibadihi juz-an inna al-insana lakafoorun mubeenun
Yet they allocate to Him a portion of His bondsmen! Verily man is a thankless being! (R)
OTHER TRANSLATIONS BY MUHSIN, YUSUFALI, PICKTHAL AND SHAKIR:
[These letters are one of the miracles of the Qur'ān, and none but Allāh (Alone) knows their meanings].
2. By the manifest Book (that makes things clear, i.e. this Qur'ān).
3. We verily, have made it a Qur'ān in Arabic, that you may be able to understand (its meanings and its admonitions).
4. And Verily, it (this Qur'ān) is in the Mother of the Book (i.e. Al-Lauh Al-Mahfūz), before Us, indeed Exalted, full of Wisdom.
5. Shall We then (warn you not and) take away the Reminder (this Qur'ān) from you, because you are a people Musrifūn.
6. And how many a Prophet have We sent amongst the men of old.
7. And never came there a Prophet to them but they used to mock at him.
8. Then We destroyed men stronger (in power) than these, and the example of the ancients has passed away (before them).
9. And indeed if you ask them, "Who has created the heavens and the earth?" They will surely say: "The All-Mighty, the All-Knower created them."
10. Who has made for you the earth like a bed, and has made for you roads therein, in order that you may find your way,
11. And Who sends down water (rain) from the sky in due measure. Then We revive a dead land therewith, and even so you will be brought forth (from the dead),
12. And Who has created all the pairs and has appointed for you ships and cattle on which you ride,
13. In order that you may mount firmly on their backs, and then may remember the Favour of your Lord when you mount thereon, and say: "Glory to Him who has subjected this to us, and we could never have it (by our efforts)."
14. And verily, to Our Lord we indeed are to return!
15. Yet they assign to some of His slaves a share with Him (by pretending that He has children, and considering them as equals or co-partners in worship with Him). Verily, man is indeed a manifest ingrate!
PICKTHAL: Ha. Mim.
SHAKIR: Ha Mim.
YUSUFALI: By the Book that makes things clear,-
PICKTHAL: By the Scripture which maketh plain,
SHAKIR: I swear by the Book that makes things clear:
YUSUFALI: We have made it a Qur'an in Arabic, that ye may be able to understand (and learn wisdom).
PICKTHAL: Lo! We have appointed it a Lecture, in Arabic that haply ye may understand.
SHAKIR: Surely We have made it an Arabic Quran that you may understand.
YUSUFALI: And verily, it is in the Mother of the Book, in Our Presence, high (in dignity), full of wisdom.
PICKTHAL: And Lo! in the Source of Decrees, which We possess, it is indeed sublime, decisive.
SHAKIR: And surely it is in the original of the Book with Us, truly elevated, full of wisdom.
YUSUFALI: Shall We then take away the Message from you and repel (you), for that ye are a people transgressing beyond bounds?
PICKTHAL: Shall We utterly ignore you because ye are a wanton folk?
SHAKIR: What! shall We then turn away the reminder from you altogether because you are an extravagant people?
YUSUFALI: But how many were the prophets We sent amongst the peoples of old?
PICKTHAL: How many a prophet did We send among the men of old!
SHAKIR: And how many a prophet have We sent among the ancients.
YUSUFALI: And never came there a prophet to them but they mocked him.
PICKTHAL: And never came there unto them a prophet but they used to mock him.
SHAKIR: And there came not to them a prophet but they mocked at him.
YUSUFALI: So We destroyed (them)- stronger in power than these;- and (thus) has passed on the Parable of the peoples of old.
PICKTHAL: Then We destroyed men mightier than these in prowess; and the example of the men of old hath gone (before them).
SHAKIR: Then We destroyed those who were stronger than these in prowess, and the case of the ancients has gone before,
YUSUFALI: If thou wert to question them, 'Who created the heavens and the earth?' They would be sure to reply, 'they were created by (Him), the Exalted in Power, Full of Knowledge';-
PICKTHAL: And if thou (Muhammad) ask them: Who created the heavens and the earth, they will surely answer: The Mighty, the Knower created them;
SHAKIR: And if you should ask them, Who created the heavens and the earth? they would most certainly say: The Mighty, the Knowing One, has created them;
YUSUFALI: (Yea, the same that) has made for you the earth (like a carpet) spread out, and has made for you roads (and channels) therein, in order that ye may find guidance (on the way);
PICKTHAL: Who made the earth a resting-place for you, and placed roads for you therein, that haply ye may find your way;
SHAKIR: He Who made the earth a resting-place for you, and made in it ways for you that you may go aright;
YUSUFALI: That sends down (from time to time) rain from the sky in due measure;- and We raise to life therewith a land that is dead; even so will ye be raised (from the dead);-
PICKTHAL: And Who sendeth down water from the sky in (due) measure, and We revive a dead land therewith. Even so will ye be brought forth;
SHAKIR: And He Who sends down water from the cloud according to a measure, then We raise to life thereby a dead country, even thus shall you be brought forth;
YUSUFALI: That has created pairs in all things, and has made for you ships and cattle on which ye ride,
PICKTHAL: He Who created all the pairs, and appointed for you ships and cattle whereupon ye ride.
SHAKIR: And He Who created pairs of all things, and made for you of the ships and the cattle what you ride on,
YUSUFALI: In order that ye may sit firm and square on their backs, and when so seated, ye may celebrate the (kind) favour of your Lord, and say, "Glory to Him Who has subjected these to our (use), for we could never have accomplished this (by ourselves),
PICKTHAL: That ye may mount upon their backs, and may remember your Lord's favour when ye mount thereon, and may say: Glorified be He Who hath subdued these unto us, and we were not capable (of subduing them);
SHAKIR: That you may firmly sit on their backs, then remember the favor of your Lord when you are firmly seated thereon, and say: Glory be to Him Who made this subservient to us and we were not able to do it
YUSUFALI: "And to our Lord, surely, must we turn back!"
PICKTHAL: And lo! unto our Lord we surely are returning.
SHAKIR: And surely to our Lord we must return.
YUSUFALI: Yet they attribute to some of His servants a share with Him (in his godhead)! truly is man a blasphemous ingrate avowed!
PICKTHAL: And they allot to Him a portion of His bondmen! Lo! man is verily a mere ingrate.
SHAKIR: And they assign to Him a part of His servants; man, to be sure, is clearly ungrateful.
43 : 16
16. Ami ittakhatha mimma yakhluqu banatin waasfakum bialbaneena
What! Has He chosen for Himself daughters from His Creation while honouring you with sons?
43 : 17
17. Wa-itha bushshira ahaduhum bima daraba lilrrahmani mathalan thalla wajhuhu muswaddan wahuwa katheemun
If one of them is given the happy tidings of the birth of that which he has allocated to the Beneficent, his face remains dark for the rest of the day and he smothers himself with hidden distress!
43 : 18
18. Awaman yunashshao fee alhilyati wahuwa fee alkhisami ghayru mubeenin
Allocate they to Allah those who flourish in embellishment but falter in debate?
43 : 19
19. WajaAAaloo almala-ikata allatheena hum AAibadu alrrahmani inathan ashahidoo khalqahum satuktabu shahadatuhum wayus-aloona
And regard the angels, who are also slaves of the Beneficent, to be females! Did they witness their creation? Their testimony will be recorded and they are bound to be questioned!
43 : 20
20. Waqaloo law shaa alrrahmanu ma AAabadnahum ma lahum bithalika min AAilmin in hum illa yakhrusoona
And they say : 'Had the Beneficent willed, we would never have worshipped them!' They have no certain knowledge about them; they but speculate!
43 : 21
21. Am ataynahum kitaban min qablihi fahum bihi mustamsikoona
Or have We given them a different Scripture prior to the Qur'aan so that they are adhering to it?
43 : 22
22. Bal qaloo inna wajadna abaana AAala ommatin wa-inna AAala atharihim muhtadoona
Nay! They only say : 'We found our forefathers practising a certain religion and we are keeping within the lines they left behind!'
43 : 23
23. Wakathalika ma arsalna min qablika fee qaryatin min natheerin illa qala mutrafooha inna wajadna abaana AAala ommatin wa-inna AAala atharihim muqtadoona
In any event, whenever We sent a warner to a township before you (O Mohammed), its carefree residents said to them : 'Verily we found our forefathers to be practising a certain religion and we are keeping within the lines they left behind!'
43 : 24
24. Qala awa law ji/tukum bi-ahda mimma wajadtum AAalayhi abaakum qaloo inna bima orsiltum bihi kafiroona
When the warner said : 'What! Even if that which I have brought to you provides better guidance than that which your forefathers followed?' their answer was : 'That which you have brought to us, we do not believe in it!'
43 : 25
25. Faintaqamna minhum faonthur kayfa kana AAaqibatu almukaththibeena
So We chastised them! Behold, then, what became of those who repudiated! (R)
OTHER TRANSLATIONS BY MUHSIN, YUSUFALI, PICKTHAL AND SHAKIR:
16. Or has He taken daughters out of what He has created, and He has selected for you sons?
17. And if one of them is informed of the news of (the birth of) that which he set forth as a parable to the Most Beneficent (Allāh) (i.e. of a girl), his face becomes dark, gloomy, and he is filled with grief!
18. (Do they then like for Allāh) a creature who is brought up in adornments (wearing silk and gold ornaments, i.e. women), and in dispute cannot make herself clear?
19. And they make the angels who themselves are slaves to the Most Beneficent (Allāh) females. Did they witness their creation? Their evidence will be recorded, and they will be questioned!
20. And they said: "If it had been the Will of the Most Beneficent (Allāh), we should not have worshipped them (false deities)." They have no knowledge whatsoever of that. They do nothing but lie!
21. Or have We given them any Book before this (the Qur'ān), to which they are holding fast?
22. Nay! They say: "We found our fathers following a certain way and religion, and we guide ourselves by their footsteps."
23. And similarly, We sent not a warner before you (O Muhammad SAW) to any town (people) but the luxurious ones among them said: "We found our fathers following a certain way and religion, and we will indeed follow their footsteps."
24. (The warner) said: "Even if I bring you better guidance than that which you found your fathers following?" They said: "Verily, We disbelieve in that with which you have been sent."
25. So We took revenge of them, then see what was the end of those who denied (Islāmic Monotheism).
YUSUFALI: What! has He taken daughters out of what He himself creates, and granted to you sons for choice?
PICKTHAL: Or chooseth He daughters of all that He hath created, and honoureth He you with sons?
SHAKIR: What! has He taken daughters to Himself of what He Himself creates and chosen you to have sons?
YUSUFALI: When news is brought to one of them of (the birth of) what he sets up as a likeness to (Allah) Most Gracious, his face darkens, and he is filled with inward grief!
PICKTHAL: And if one of them hath tidings of that which he likeneth to the Beneficent One, his countenance becometh black and he is full of inward rage.
SHAKIR: And when one of them is given news of that of which he sets up as a likeness for the Beneficent Allah, his face becomes black and he is full of rage.
YUSUFALI: Is then one brought up among trinkets, and unable to give a clear account in a dispute (to be associated with Allah)?
PICKTHAL: (Liken they then to Allah) that which is bred up in outward show, and in dispute cannot make itself plain?
SHAKIR: What! that which is made in ornaments and which in contention is unable to make plain speech!
YUSUFALI: And they make into females angels who themselves serve Allah. Did they witness their creation? Their evidence will be recorded, and they will be called to account!
PICKTHAL: And they make the angels, who are the slaves of the Beneficent, females. Did they witness their creation? Their testimony will be recorded and they will be questioned.
SHAKIR: And they make the angels-- them who are the servants of the Beneficent Allah-- female (divinities). What! did they witness their creation? Their evidence shall be written down and they shall be questioned.
YUSUFALI: ("Ah!") they say, "If it had been the will of (Allah) Most Gracious, we should not have worshipped such (deities)!" Of that they have no knowledge! they do nothing but lie!
PICKTHAL: And they say: If the Beneficent One had (so) willed, we should not have worshipped them. They have no knowledge whatsoever of that. They do but guess.
SHAKIR: And they say: If the Beneficent Allah had pleased, we should never have worshipped them. They have no knowledge of this; they only lie.
YUSUFALI: What! have We given them a Book before this, to which they are holding fast?
PICKTHAL: Or have We given them any scripture before (this Qur'an) so that they are holding fast thereto?
SHAKIR: Or have We given them a book before it so that they hold fast to it?
YUSUFALI: Nay! they say: "We found our fathers following a certain religion, and we do guide ourselves by their footsteps."
PICKTHAL: Nay, for they say only: Lo! we found our fathers following a religion, and we are guided by their footprints.
SHAKIR: Nay! they say: We found our fathers on a course, and surely we are guided by their footsteps.
YUSUFALI: Just in the same way, whenever We sent a Warner before thee to any people, the wealthy ones among them said: "We found our fathers following a certain religion, and we will certainly follow in their footsteps."
PICKTHAL: And even so We sent not a warner before thee (Muhammad) into any township but its luxurious ones said: Lo! we found our fathers following a religion, and we are following their footprints.
SHAKIR: And thus, We did not send before you any warner in a town, but those who led easy lives in it said: Surely we found our fathers on a course, and surely we are followers of their footsteps.
YUSUFALI: He said: "What! Even if I brought you better guidance than that which ye found your fathers following?" They said: "For us, we deny that ye (prophets) are sent (on a mission at all)."
PICKTHAL: (And the warner) said: What! Even though I bring you better guidance than that ye found your fathers following? They answered: Lo! in what ye bring we are disbelievers.
SHAKIR: (The warner) said: What! even if I bring to you a better guide than that on which you found your fathers? They said: Surely we are unbelievers in that with which you are sent.
YUSUFALI: So We exacted retribution from them: now see what was the end of those who rejected (Truth)!
PICKTHAL: So We requited them. Then see the nature of the consequence for the rejecters!
SHAKIR: So We inflicted retribution on them, then see how was the end of the rejecters.
43 : 26
26. Wa-ith qala ibraheemu li-abeehi waqawmihi innanee baraon mimma taAAbudoona
And when Abraham said to his father and his folk : 'Verily I do not care for those whom you worship -
43 : 27
27. Illa allathee fataranee fa-innahu sayahdeeni
'Except Him Who created me, for verily He will provide me with guidance!'
43 : 28
28. WajaAAalaha kalimatan baqiyatan fee AAaqibihi laAAallahum yarjiAAoona
And he made that asseveration compulsory upon his posterity so that they reverted not to idol worship!
43 : 29
29. Bal mattaAAtu haola-i waabaahum hatta jaahumu alhaqqu warasoolun mubeenun
Yet, I suffered them and their forefathers enjoy the comforts of this life until there came to them the Truth and a messenger bearing a clear message!
43 : 30
30. Walamma jaahumu alhaqqu qaloo hatha sihrun wa-inna bihi kafiroona
But now that the Truth has come to them, they say : 'This is mere sorcery so we refute it!'
43 : 31
31. Waqaloo lawla nuzzila hatha alqur-anu AAala rajulin mina alqaryatayni AAatheemun
And they say : 'If only this Qur'aan was revealed to a credible personality who hails from these twin towns!'
43 : 32
32. Ahum yaqsimoona rahmata rabbika nahnu qasamna baynahum maAAeeshatahum fee alhayati alddunya warafaAAna baAAdahum fawqa baAAdin darajatin liyattakhitha baAAduhum baAAdan sukhriyyan warahmatu rabbika khayrun mimma yajmaAAoona
As if it is they who distribute the mercy of their Lord! We have already distributed between them their means of livelihood in the life of this world and have elevated the status of some above the others so that they may exchange their wealth in return for labour, although the mercy of your Lord is better than any of their hoards!
43 : 33
33. Walawla an yakoona alnnasu ommatan wahidatan lajaAAalna liman yakfuru bialrrahmani libuyootihim suqufan min fiddatin wamaAAarija AAalayha yathharoona
And were it not for the possibility that mankind would have become one group, We might well have given to those who disbelieved in the Beneficent roofs of silver for their houses and stairs of silver to climb -
43 : 34
34. Walibuyootihim abwaban wasururan AAalayha yattaki-oona
And doors of silver for their dwellings and couches of silver to recline on -
43 : 35
35. Wazukhrufan wa-in kullu thalika lamma mataAAu alhayati alddunya waal-akhiratu AAinda rabbika lilmuttaqeena
And ornaments of gold! Yet all these would have been accoutrements for the life of this world whereas the Hereafter with your Lord is set aside for those who proscribe evil! (R)
OTHER TRANSLATIONS BY MUHSIN, YUSUFALI, PICKTHAL AND SHAKIR:
26. And (remember) when Ibrahīm (Abraham) said to his father and his people: "Verily, I am innocent of what you worship,
27. "Except Him (i.e. I worship none but Allāh Alone) Who did create me, and verily, He will guide me."
28. And he made it [i.e. Lā ilāha ill-Allāh (none has the right to be worshipped but Allāh Alone)] a Word lasting among his offspring (True Monotheism), that they may turn back (i.e. to repent to Allāh or receive admonition).
29. Nay, but I gave (the good things of this life) to these (polytheists) and their fathers to enjoy, till there came to them the truth (the Qur'ān), and a Messenger (Muhammad SAW) making things clear.
30. And when the truth (this Qur'ān) came to them, they (the disbelievers in this Qur'ān) said: "This is magic, and we disbelieve therein."
31. And they say: "Why is not this Qur'ān sent down to some great man of the two towns (Makkah and Tā'if)?"
32. Is it they who would portion out the Mercy of your Lord? It is We Who portion out between them their livelihood in this world, and We raised some of them above others in ranks, so that some may employ others in their work. But the Mercy (Paradise) of your Lord (O Muhammad SAW) is better than the (wealth of this world) which they amass.
33. And were it not that all mankind would have become of one community (all disbelievers, desiring worldly life only), We would have provided for those who disbelieve in the Most Beneficent (Allāh), silver roofs for their houses, and elevators (and stair-ways, etc. of silver) whereby they ascend,
34. And for their houses, doors (of silver), and thrones (of silver) on which they could recline,
35. And adornments of gold. Yet all this (i.e. the roofs, doors, stairs, elevators, thrones etc. of their houses) would have been nothing but an enjoyment of this world. And the Hereafter with your Lord is only for the Muttaqūn.
YUSUFALI: Behold! Abraham said to his father and his people: "I do indeed clear myself of what ye worship:
PICKTHAL: And when Abraham said unto his father and his folk: Lo! I am innocent of what ye worship
SHAKIR: And when Ibrahim said to his father and his people: Surely I am clear of what you worship,
YUSUFALI: "(I worship) only Him Who made me, and He will certainly guide me."
PICKTHAL: Save Him Who did create me, for He will surely guide me.
SHAKIR: Save Him Who created me, for surely He will guide me.
YUSUFALI: And he left it as a Word to endure among those who came after him, that they may turn back (to Allah).
PICKTHAL: And he made it a word enduring among his seed, that haply they might return.
SHAKIR: And he made it a word to continue in his posterity that they may return.
YUSUFALI: Yea, I have given the good things of this life to these (men) and their fathers, until the Truth has come to them, and a messenger making things clear.
PICKTHAL: Nay, but I let these and their fathers enjoy life (only) till there should come unto them the Truth and a messenger making plain.
SHAKIR: Nay! I gave them and their fathers to enjoy until there came to them the truth and a Messenger making manifest (the truth).
YUSUFALI: But when the Truth came to them, they said: "This is sorcery, and we do reject it."
PICKTHAL: And now that the Truth hath come unto them they say: This is mere magic, and lo! we are disbelievers therein.
SHAKIR: And when there came to them the truth they said: This is magic, and surely we are disbelievers in it.
YUSUFALI: Also, they say: "Why is not this Qur'an sent down to some leading man in either of the two (chief) cities?"
PICKTHAL: And they say: If only this Qur'an had been revealed to some great man of the two towns?
SHAKIR: And they say: Why was not this Quran revealed to a man of importance in the two towns?
YUSUFALI: Is it they who would portion out the Mercy of thy Lord? It is We Who portion out between them their livelihood in the life of this world: and We raise some of them above others in ranks, so that some may command work from others. But the Mercy of thy Lord is better than the (wealth) which they amass.
PICKTHAL: Is it they who apportion thy Lord's mercy? We have apportioned among them their livelihood in the life of the world, and raised some of them above others in rank that some of them may take labour from others; and the mercy of thy Lord is better than (the wealth) that they amass.
SHAKIR: Will they distribute the mercy of your Lord? We distribute among them their livelihood in the life of this world, and We j have exalted some of them above others in degrees, that some of them may take others in subjection; and the mercy of your Lord is better than what they amass.
YUSUFALI: And were it not that (all) men might become of one (evil) way of life, We would provide, for everyone that blasphemes against (Allah) Most Gracious, silver roofs for their houses and (silver) stair-ways on which to go up,
PICKTHAL: And were it not that mankind would have become one community, We might well have appointed, for those who disbelieve in the Beneficent, roofs of silver for their houses and stairs (of silver) whereby to mount,
SHAKIR: And were it not that all people had been a single nation, We would certainly have assigned to those who disbelieve in the Beneficent Allah (to make) of silver the roofs of their houses and the stairs by which they ascend.
YUSUFALI: And (silver) doors to their houses, and thrones (of silver) on which they could recline,
PICKTHAL: And for their houses doors (of silver) and couches of silver whereon to recline,
SHAKIR: And the doors of their houses and the couches on which they recline,
YUSUFALI: And also adornments of gold. But all this were nothing but conveniences of the present life: The Hereafter, in the sight of thy Lord is for the Righteous.
PICKTHAL: And ornaments of gold. Yet all that would have been but a provision of the life of the world. And the Hereafter with your Lord would have been for those who keep from evil.
SHAKIR: And (other) embellishments of gold; and all this is naught but provision of this world's life, and the hereafter is with your Lord only for those who guard (against evil).
43 : 36
36. Waman yaAAshu AAan thikri alrrahmani nuqayyid lahu shaytanan fahuwa lahu qareenun
And he who becomes oblivious to the recollection of the Beneficent, We assign to him a devil as a constant companion.
43 : 37
37. Wa-innahum layasuddoonahum AAani alssabeeli wayahsaboona annahum muhtadoona
And certainly the devils do deflect them from the path of Allah, even if they delude themselves that they are on the right course -
43 : 38
38. Hatta itha jaana qala ya layta baynee wabaynaka buAAda almashriqayni fabi/sa alqareenu
Until they stand before Us, when they say to their companion : 'How I wish there was a distance of two antipodes between me and you!' How unworthy a companion (you turned out to be)!
43 : 39
39. Walan yanfaAAakumu alyawma ith thalamtum annakum fee alAAathabi mushtarikoona
But contrition will avail you not this day, for you did commit sin and are therefore together in castigation!
43 : 40
40. Afaanta tusmiAAu alssumma aw tahdee alAAumya waman kana fee dalalin mubeenin
Can you (O Mohammed) make the deaf hear or can you show the way to the blind and to those who are lost in blatant error?
43 : 41
41. Fa-imma nathhabanna bika fa-inna minhum muntaqimoona
So even if We take you away in death, We shall nonetheless take vengeance upon them.
43 : 42
42. Aw nuriyannaka allathee waAAadnahum fa-inna AAalayhim muqtadiroona
And if (We do not take you away), We shall show you the fulfilment of the promise of punishment We have made to them, for verily Our power over them is absolute!
43 : 43
43. Faistamsik biallathee oohiya ilayka innaka AAala siratin mustaqeemin
So resolutely adhere to that which has been inspired in you, for verily you are on the straight path!
43 : 44
44. Wa-innahu lathikrun laka waliqawmika wasawfa tus-aloona
And verily this Qur'aan is a Reminder for you as well as your people and you will surely be questioned about it!
43 : 45
45. Wais-al man arsalna min qablika min rusulina ajaAAalna min dooni alrrahmani alihatan yuAAbadoona
And ask the other messengers whom We sent before you : Did We ever permit the worship of a God other than the Beneficent? (R)
OTHER TRANSLATIONS BY MUHSIN, YUSUFALI, PICKTHAL AND SHAKIR:
36. And whosoever turns away (blinds himself) from the remembrance of the Most Beneficent (Allāh) (i.e. this Qur'ān and worship of Allāh), We appoint for him Shaitān (Satan devil) to be a Qarīn (an intimate companion) to him.
37. And verily, they (Satans / devils) hinder them from the Path (of Allāh), but they think that they are guided aright!
38. Till, when (such a one) comes to Us, he says [to his Qarīn (Satan / devil companion)] "Would that between me and you were the distance of the two easts (or the east and west)" a worst (type of) companion (indeed)!
39. It will profit you not this Day (O you who turn away from Allāh's remembrance and His worship, etc.) as you did wrong, (and) that you will be sharers (you and your Qarīn) in the punishment.
40. Can you (O Muhammad SAW) make the deaf to hear, or can you guide the blind or him who is in manifest error?
41. And even if We take you (O Muhammad SAW) away, We shall indeed take vengeance on them.
42. Or (if) We show you that wherewith We threaten them, then verily, We have perfect command over them.
43. So hold you (O Muhammad SAW) fast to that which is inspired in you. Verily, you are on a Straight Path.
44. And verily, this (the Qur'ān) is indeed a Reminder for you (O Muhammad SAW) and your people (Quraish people, or your followers), and you will be questioned (about it).
45. And ask (O Muhammad SAW) those of Our Messengers whom We sent before you: "Did We ever appoint āliha (gods) to be worshipped besides the Most Beneficent (Allāh)?"
YUSUFALI: If anyone withdraws himself from remembrance of (Allah) Most Gracious, We appoint for him an evil one, to be an intimate companion to him.
PICKTHAL: And he whose sight is dim to the remembrance of the Beneficent, We assign unto him a devil who becometh his comrade;
SHAKIR: And whoever turns himself away from the remembrance of the Beneficent Allah, We appoint for him a Shaitan, so he becomes his associate.
YUSUFALI: Such (evil ones) really hinder them from the Path, but they think that they are being guided aright!
PICKTHAL: And lo! they surely turn them from the way of Allah, and yet they deem that they are rightly guided;
SHAKIR: And most surely they turn them away from the path, and they think that they are guided aright:
YUSUFALI: At length, when (such a one) comes to Us, he says (to his evil companion): "Would that between me and thee were the distance of East and West!" Ah! evil is the companion (indeed)!
PICKTHAL: Till, when he cometh unto Us, he saith (unto his comrade): Ah, would that between me and thee there were the distance of the two horizons - an evil comrade!
SHAKIR: Until when he comes to Us, he says: O would that between me and you there were the distance of the East and the West; so evil is the associate!
YUSUFALI: When ye have done wrong, it will avail you nothing, that Day, that ye shall be partners in Punishment!
PICKTHAL: And it profiteth you not this day, because ye did wrong, that ye will be sharers in the doom.
SHAKIR: And since you were unjust, it will not profit you this day that you are sharers in the chastisement.
YUSUFALI: Canst thou then make the deaf to hear, or give direction to the blind or to such as (wander) in manifest error?
PICKTHAL: Canst thou (Muhammad) make the deaf to hear, or canst thou guide the blind or him who is in error manifest?
SHAKIR: What! can you then make the deaf to hear or guide the blind and him who is in clear error?
YUSUFALI: Even if We take thee away, We shall be sure to exact retribution from them,
PICKTHAL: And if We take thee away, We surely shall take vengeance on them,
SHAKIR: But if We should take you away, still We shall inflict retribution on them;
YUSUFALI: Or We shall show thee that (accomplished) which We have promised them: for verily We shall prevail over them.
PICKTHAL: Or (if) We show thee that wherewith We threaten them; for lo! We have complete command of them.
SHAKIR: Rather We will certainly show you that which We have promised them; for surely We are the possessors of full power over them.
YUSUFALI: So hold thou fast to the Revelation sent down to thee; verily thou art on a Straight Way.
PICKTHAL: So hold thou fast to that which is inspired in thee. Lo! thou art on a right path.
SHAKIR: Therefore hold fast to that which has been revealed to you; surely you are on the right path.
YUSUFALI: The (Qur'an) is indeed the message, for thee and for thy people; and soon shall ye (all) be brought to account.
PICKTHAL: And lo! it is in truth a Reminder for thee and for thy folk; and ye will be questioned.
SHAKIR: And most surely it is a reminder for you and your people, and you shall soon be questioned.
YUSUFALI: And question thou our messengers whom We sent before thee; did We appoint any deities other than (Allah) Most Gracious, to be worshipped?
PICKTHAL: And ask those of Our messengers whom We sent before thee: Did We ever appoint gods to be worshipped beside the Beneficent?
SHAKIR: And ask those of Our messengers whom We sent before you: Did We ever appoint gods to be worshipped besides the Beneficent Allah?
43 : 46
46. Walaqad arsalna moosa bi-ayatina ila firAAawna wamala-ihi faqala innee rasoolu rabbi alAAalameena
And verily We sent Moses along with Our portents to Pharaoh and his warlords and he said to them : 'I am a messenger from Him who is the Lord of the Worlds!'
43 : 47
47. Falamma jaahum bi-ayatina itha hum minha yadhakoona
But when he showed them Our portents, they burst into laughter -
43 : 48
48. Wama nureehim min ayatin illa hiya akbaru min okhtiha waakhathnahum bialAAathabi laAAallahum yarjiAAoona
Every portent which We showed them excelled the one that was shown to them before! Hence We plunged them in torment in case they reformed themselves.
43 : 49
49. Waqaloo ya ayyuha alsahiru odAAu lana rabbaka bima AAahida AAindaka innana lamuhtadoona
And they said : 'O magician! Pray to your Lord for us by the covenant which He has made with you! Verily we will then follow His guidance.
43 : 50
50. Falamma kashafna AAanhumu alAAathaba itha hum yankuthoona
But as soon as We relaxed the bane, they broke their pledge at once.
43 : 51
51. Wanada firAAawnu fee qawmihi qala ya qawmi alaysa lee mulku misra wahathihi al-anharu tajree min tahtee afala tubsiroona
And Pharaoh made his proclamation ring across his nation saying : 'O my people! Is not Egypt my realm and the rivers that flow in it flow underneath me? See you not -
43 : 52
52. Am ana khayrun min hatha allathee huwa maheenun wala yakadu yubeenu
'That I am better than this contemptible person, - an imbecile who can barely make himself understood?
43 : 53
53. Falawla olqiya AAalayhi aswiratun min thahabin aw jaa maAAahu almala-ikatu muqtarineena
'Why then armlets of gold have not been set upon him nor any angels sent to stand by his side?'
43 : 54
54. Faistakhaffa qawmahu faataAAoohu innahum kanoo qawman fasiqeena
And he prevailed upon his people to spurn Moses. Verily they were a rebellious lot!
43 : 55
55. Falamma asafoona intaqamna minhum faaghraqnahum ajmaAAeena
So when they did that which provoked Our wrath, We retaliated by drowning each and everyone of them!
43 : 56
56. FajaAAalnahum salafan wamathalan lil-akhireena
And We made them a lore from past generations and a lesson for future generations! (R)
OTHER TRANSLATIONS BY MUHSIN, YUSUFALI, PICKTHAL AND SHAKIR:
46. And indeed We did send Mūsa (Moses) with Our Ayāt (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.) to Fir'aun (Pharaoh) and his chiefs (inviting them to Allāh's Religion of Islām) He said: "Verily, I am a Messenger of the Lord of the 'Alamīn (mankind, jinns and all that exists)."
47. But when he came to them with Our Ayāt (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.) behold! They laughed at them.
48. And not an Ayāh (sign, etc.) We showed them but it was greater than its fellow, and We seized them with torment, in order that they might turn [from their polytheism to Allāh's Religion (Islāmic Monotheism)].
49. And they said [to Mūsa (Moses)]: "O you sorcerer! Invoke your Lord for us according to what He has covenanted with you. Verily, We shall guide ourselves (aright)."
50. But when We removed the torment from them, behold! They broke their covenant (that they will believe if We remove the torment for them).
51. And Fir'aun (Pharaoh) proclaimed among his people, saying: "O my people! Is not mine the dominion of Egypt, and these rivers flowing underneath me. See you not then?
52. "Am I not better than this one [Mūsa (Moses)], who is Mahīn [has no honour nor any respect, and is weak and despicable] and can scarcely express himself clearly?
53. "Why then are not golden bracelets bestowed on him, or angels sent along with him?"
54. Thus he [Fir'aun (Pharaoh)] befooled and misled his people, and they obeyed him. Verily, they were ever a people who were Fāsiqūn (rebellious, disobedient to Allāh).
55. So when they angered Us, We punished them, and drowned them all.
56. And We made them a precedent (as a lesson for those coming after them), and an example to later generations.
YUSUFALI: We did send Moses aforetime, with Our Signs, to Pharaoh and his Chiefs: He said, "I am a messenger of the Lord of the Worlds."
PICKTHAL: And verily We sent Moses with Our revelations unto Pharaoh and his chiefs, and he said: I am a messenger of the Lord of the Worlds.
SHAKIR: And certainly We sent Musa with Our communications to Firon and his chiefs, so he said: Surely I am the messenger of the Lord of the worlds.
YUSUFALI: But when he came to them with Our Signs, behold they ridiculed them.
PICKTHAL: But when he brought them Our tokens, behold! they laughed at them.
SHAKIR: But when he came to them with Our signs, lo! they laughed at them.
YUSUFALI: We showed them Sign after Sign, each greater than its fellow, and We seized them with Punishment, in order that they might turn (to Us).
PICKTHAL: And every token that We showed them was greater than its sister (token), and We grasped them with the torment, that haply they might turn again.
SHAKIR: And We did not show them a sign but it was greater than its like, and We overtook them with chastisement that they may turn.
YUSUFALI: And they said, "O thou sorcerer! Invoke thy Lord for us according to His covenant with thee; for we shall truly accept guidance."
PICKTHAL: And they said: O wizard! Entreat thy Lord for us by the pact that He hath made with thee. Lo! we verily will walk aright.
SHAKIR: And they said: O magician! call on your Lord for our sake, as He has made the covenant with you; we shall surely be the followers of the right way.
YUSUFALI: But when We removed the Penalty from them, behold, they broke their word.
PICKTHAL: But when We eased them of the torment, behold! they broke their word.
SHAKIR: But when We removed from them the chastisement, lo! they broke the pledge.
YUSUFALI: And Pharaoh proclaimed among his people, saying: "O my people! Does not the dominion of Egypt belong to me, (witness) these streams flowing underneath my (palace)? What! see ye not then?
PICKTHAL: And Pharaoh caused a proclamation to be made among his people saying: O my people! Is not mine the sovereignty of Egypt and these rivers flowing under me? Can ye not then discern?
SHAKIR: And Firon proclaimed amongst his people: O my people! is not the kingdom of Egypt mine? And these rivers flow beneath me; do you not then see?
YUSUFALI: "Am I not better than this (Moses), who is a contemptible wretch and can scarcely express himself clearly?
PICKTHAL: I am surely better than this fellow, who is despicable and can hardly make (his meaning) plain!
SHAKIR: Nay! I am better than this fellow, who is contemptible, and who can hardly speak distinctly:
YUSUFALI: "Then why are not gold bracelets bestowed on him, or (why) come (not) with him angels accompanying him in procession?"
PICKTHAL: Why, then, have armlets of gold not been set upon him, or angels sent along with him?
SHAKIR: But why have not bracelets of gold been put upon him, or why have there not come with him angels as companions?
YUSUFALI: Thus did he make fools of his people, and they obeyed him: truly were they a people rebellious (against Allah).
PICKTHAL: Thus he persuaded his people to make light (of Moses), and they obeyed him. Lo! they were a wanton folk.
SHAKIR: So he incited his people to levity and they obeyed him: surely they were a transgressing people.
YUSUFALI: When at length they provoked Us, We exacted retribution from them, and We drowned them all.
PICKTHAL: So, when they angered Us, We punished them and drowned them every one.
SHAKIR: Then when they displeased Us, We inflicted a retribution on them, so We drowned them all together,
YUSUFALI: And We made them (a people) of the Past and an Example to later ages.
PICKTHAL: And We made them a thing past, and an example for those after (them).
SHAKIR: And We made them a precedent and example to the later generations.
Context of Revelation : The following verses were revealed when the Prophet angered the idolaters by openly declaring that they and the false deities they worshipped were destined to become fuel for the fire of hell! But they argued that, if Jesus who was worshipped by the Christians, and the angels who were worshipped by the pagan Arabs also became fuel for the fire of hell, they would not mind the same thing happening to their idols.
43 : 57
57. Walamma duriba ibnu maryama mathalan itha qawmuka minhu yasiddoona
And whenever the son of Mary is quoted by way of an example, behold how people joke about him -
43 : 58
58. Waqaloo aalihatuna khayrun am huwa ma daraboohu laka illa jadalan bal hum qawmun khasimoona
And say : 'Do our deities make better gods or does he (Jesus)?' And they do not refer to him as god save in superfluous argument! Nay, but they are a pugnacious folk!
43 : 59
59. In huwa illa AAabdun anAAamna AAalayhi wajaAAalnahu mathalan libanee isra-eela
He was no more than any of our other bondsmen upon whom We bestowed Our favour and made him an example for the Children of Israel!
* * *
43 : 60
60. Walaw nashao lajaAAalna minkum mala-ikatan fee al-ardi yakhlufoona
And had We willed, We could have set upon the earth angels as Our regents instead of you!
43 : 61
61. Wa-innahu laAAilmun lilssaAAati fala tamtarunna biha waittabiAAooni hatha siratun mustaqeemun
And verily (Jesus will be a sign for the coming of) the Hour! So doubt it not but obey Me, for this indeed is the path of guidance.
43 : 62
62. Wala yasuddannakumu alshshaytanu innahu lakum AAaduwwun mubeenun
And let not Satan dissuade you, for verily he is your committed enemy!
43 : 63
63. Walamma jaa AAeesa bialbayyinati qala qad ji/tukum bialhikmati wali-obayyina lakum baAAda allathee takhtalifoona feehi faittaqoo Allaha waateeAAooni
When Jesus came with clear portents, he said : 'I have come to you with wisdom and to clarify some of that over which you differ. So fear Allah and follow me!'
43 : 64
64. Inna Allaha huwa rabbee warabbukum faoAAbudoohu hatha siratun mustaqeemun
'Verily Allah is my Lord and He is your Lord so worship none but Him, for this is the right path!'
43 : 65
65. Faikhtalafa al-ahzabu min baynihim fawaylun lillatheena thalamoo min AAathabi yawmin aleemin
Then they split up into opposing factions! So condemned are they to the castigation of an awesome Day!
43 : 66
66. Hal yanthuroona illa alssaAAata an ta/tiyahum baghtatan wahum la yashAAuroona
Await they what but the Hour which will land upon them all of a sudden when they least expect it!
43 : 67
67. Al-akhillao yawma-ithin baAAduhum libaAAdin AAaduwwun illa almuttaqeena
The best of friends will become the worst of enemies on that Day except those who rendered their duty to Allah! (R)
OTHER TRANSLATIONS BY MUHSIN, YUSUFALI, PICKTHAL AND SHAKIR:
57. And when the son of Maryam (Mary) is quoted as an example [i.e. 'Iesa (Jesus) is worshipped like their idols), behold! Your people cry aloud (laugh out at the example).
58. And say: "Are our āliha (gods) better or is he ['Iesa (Jesus)]?" They quoted not the above example except for argument. Nay! But they are a quarrelsome people. [(See VV. 21:97-101) - The Qur'ān.]
59. He ['Iesa (Jesus)] was not more than a slave. We granted Our Favour to him, and We made him an example to the Children of Israel (i.e. his creation without a father).
60. And if it were Our Will, We would have [destroyed you (mankind) all, and] made angels to replace you on the earth. [Tafsir At-Tabarī, Vol:25, Page 89].
61. And he ['Iesa (Jesus), son of Maryam (Mary)] shall be a known sign for (the coming of) the Hour (Day of Resurrection) [i.e. 'Iesa's (Jesus) descent on the earth] . Therefore have no doubt concerning it (i.e. the Day of Resurrection). And follow Me (Allāh) (i.e. be obedient to Allāh and do what He orders you to do, O mankind)! This is the Straight Path (of Islāmic Monotheism, leading to Allāh and to His Paradise).
62. And let not Shaitān (Satan) hinder you (from the right religion, i.e. Islāmic Monotheism), Verily, he (Satan) to you is a plain enemy.
63. And when 'Iesa (Jesus) came with (Our) clear Proofs, he said: "I have come to you with Al-Hikmah (Prophethood), and in order to make clear to you some of the (points) in which you differ, therefore fear Allāh and obey me,
64. "Verily, Allāh! He is my Lord (God) and your Lord (God). So worship Him (Alone). This is the (only) Straight Path (i.e. Allāh's religion of true Islāmic Monotheism)."
65. But the sects from among themselves differed. So woe to those who do wrong (by ascribing things to 'Iesa (Jesus) that are not true) from the torment of a painful Day (i.e. the Day of Resurrection)!
66. Do they only wait for the Hour that it shall come upon them suddenly, while they perceive not?
67. Friends on that Day will be foes one to another except Al-Muttaqūn (pious - see V.2:2).
YUSUFALI: When (Jesus) the son of Mary is held up as an example, behold, thy people raise a clamour thereat (in ridicule)!
PICKTHAL: And when the son of Mary is quoted as an example, behold! the folk laugh out,
SHAKIR: And when a description of the son of Marium is given, lo! your people raise a clamor thereat.
YUSUFALI: And they say, "Are our gods best, or he?" This they set forth to thee, only by way of disputation: yea, they are a contentious people.
PICKTHAL: And say: Are our gods better, or is he? They raise not the objection save for argument. Nay! but they are a contentious folk.
SHAKIR: And they say: Are our gods better, or is he? They do not set it forth to you save by way of disputation; nay, they are a contentious people.
YUSUFALI: He was no more than a servant: We granted Our favour to him, and We made him an example to the Children of Israel.
PICKTHAL: He is nothing but a slave on whom We bestowed favour, and We made him a pattern for the Children of Israel.
SHAKIR: He was naught but a servant on whom We bestowed favor, and We made him an example for the children of Israel.
YUSUFALI: And if it were Our Will, We could make angels from amongst you, succeeding each other on the earth.
PICKTHAL: And had We willed We could have set among you angels to be viceroys in the earth.
SHAKIR: And if We please, We could make among you angels to be successors in the land.
YUSUFALI: And (Jesus) shall be a Sign (for the coming of) the Hour (of Judgment): therefore have no doubt about the (Hour), but follow ye Me: this is a Straight Way.
PICKTHAL: And lo! verily there is knowledge of the Hour. So doubt ye not concerning it, but follow Me. This is the right path.
SHAKIR: And most surely it is a knowledge of the hour, therefore have no doubt about it and follow me: this is the right path.
YUSUFALI: Let not the Evil One hinder you: for he is to you an enemy avowed.
PICKTHAL: And let not Satan turn you aside. Lo! he is an open enemy for you.
SHAKIR: And let not the Shaitan prevent you; surely he is your j open enemy.
YUSUFALI: When Jesus came with Clear Signs, he said: "Now have I come to you with Wisdom, and in order to make clear to you some of the (points) on which ye dispute: therefore fear Allah and obey me.
PICKTHAL: When Jesus came with clear proofs (of Allah's Sovereignty), he said: I have come unto you with wisdom, and to make plain some of that concerning which ye differ. So keep your duty to Allah, and obey me.
SHAKIR: And when Isa came with clear arguments he said: I have come to you indeed with wisdom, and that I may make clear to you part of what you differ in; so be careful of (your duty to) Allah and obey me:
YUSUFALI: "For Allah, He is my Lord and your Lord: so worship ye Him: this is a Straight Way."
PICKTHAL: Lo! Allah, He is my Lord and your Lord. So worship Him. This is a right path.
SHAKIR: Surely Allah is my Lord and your Lord, therefore serve Him; this is the right path:
YUSUFALI: But sects from among themselves fell into disagreement: then woe to the wrong-doers, from the Penalty of a Grievous Day!
PICKTHAL: But the factions among them differed. Then woe unto those who do wrong from the doom of a painful day.
SHAKIR: But parties from among them differed, so woe to those who were unjust because of the chastisement of a painful day.
YUSUFALI: Do they only wait for the Hour - that it should come on them all of a sudden, while they perceive not?
PICKTHAL: Await they aught save the Hour, that it shall come upon them suddenly, when they know not?
SHAKIR: Do they wait for aught but the hour, that it should come ! upon them all of a sudden while they do not perceive?
YUSUFALI: Friends on that day will be foes, one to another,- except the Righteous.
PICKTHAL: Friends on that day will be foes one to another, save those who kept their duty (to Allah).
SHAKIR: The friends shall on that day be enemies one to another, except those who guard (against evil).
43 : 68
68. Ya AAibadi la khawfun AAalaykumu alyawma wala antum tahzanoona
'O my Worshippers! On this Day you have no cause for fear nor for grief -
43 : 69
69. Allatheena amanoo bi-ayatina wakanoo muslimeena
You who believed Our revelations and surrendered to Allah!
43 : 70
70. Odkhuloo aljannata antum waazwajukum tuhbaroona
Enter the Garden, you and your spouses, to be entertained!
43 : 71
71. Yutafu AAalayhim bisihafin min thahabin waakwabin wafeeha ma tashtaheehi al-anfusu watalaththu al-aAAyunu waantum feeha khalidoona
Therein are brought round for them trays and chalices of gold, and therein is everything that their souls desire and their eyes cherish, and therein they are immortal!
43 : 72
72. Watilka aljannatu allatee oorithtumooha bima kuntum taAAmaloona
And this is the Garden which you inherit because of your own noble deeds!
43 : 73
73. Lakum feeha fakihatun katheeratun minha ta/kuloona
Therein for you are fruits in abundance so that you eat of them!
43 : 74
74. Inna almujrimeena fee AAathabi jahannama khalidoona
Verily the sinners are also immortal, but in the torment of hell!
43 : 75
75. La yufattaru AAanhum wahum feehi mublisoona
And it will not relax its hold upon them and they will dwell in it with no hope of retrieval!
43 : 76
76. Wama thalamnahum walakin kanoo humu alththalimeena
We wronged them not but they wronged themselves!
43 : 77
77. Wanadaw ya maliku liyaqdi AAalayna rabbuka qala innakum makithoona
And they plead : 'O Guard! Beseech your Lord to put an end to us!' But he replies : 'Here it is that you shall abide forever and forever!'
43 : 78
78. Laqad ji/nakum bialhaqqi walakinna aktharakum lilhaqqi karihoona
Verily We did bring the Truth to you, but most of you detested the Truth!
43 : 79
79. Am abramoo amran fa-inna mubrimoona
What! Have they set upon a course of action (to harm the Prophet)? Verily We too are setting on Our course of action!
43 : 80
80. Am yahsaboona anna la nasmaAAu sirrahum wanajwahum bala warusuluna ladayhim yaktuboona
Or do they think We cannot hear their muffled whispers and covert conspiracies? Nay! Our messengers are with them and recording everything!
* * *
Context of Revelation : The following verse was revealed in response to imputations made by the opponents of Islam that the angels whom they worshipped as their gods were, in fact, daughters of Allah!
43 : 81
81. Qul in kana lilrrahmani waladun faana awwalu alAAabideena
Say to them (O Mohammed) : 'If the Beneficent has fathered anyone, then I shall be the first to worship him!'
43 : 82
82. Subhana rabbi alssamawati waal-ardi rabbi alAAarshi AAamma yasifoona
Glorified be the Lord of the heavens and the earth, the Lord of the Throne, and may He transcend above the blasphemy with which they smear Him!
* * *
43 : 83
83. Fatharhum yakhoodoo wayalAAaboo hatta yulaqoo yawmahumu allathee yooAAadoona
So leave them to get on with their insensate gibberish and trivial pastimes until they come across the Day which has been promised to them!
43 : 84
84. Wahuwa allathee fee alssama-i ilahun wafee al-ardi ilahun wahuwa alhakeemu alAAaleemu
He alone is God of those who dwell in the heavens and God of those who dwell upon the earth and He is Sagacious and Erudite!
43 : 85
85. Watabaraka allathee lahu mulku alssamawati waal-ardi wama baynahuma waAAindahu AAilmu alssaAAati wa-ilayhi turjaAAoona
And blessed is He to Whom belongs the kingdom of the heavens and of the earth and all that which lies in between them and with Whom is the knowledge of the Hour and to Whom you will return!
43 : 86
86. Wala yamliku allatheena yadAAoona min doonihi alshshafaAAata illa man shahida bialhaqqi wahum yaAAlamoona
And those whom they worship in His place have no power of intercession except him who bears witness to the Truth and possesses the right knowledge!
43 : 87
87. Wala-in saaltahum man khalaqahum layaqoolunna Allahu faanna yu/fakoona
And if you were to ask them who created them, they will surely say : 'Allah!' Why then are they turning their backs?'
43 : 88
88. Waqeelihi ya rabbi inna haola-i qawmun la yu/minoona
(Allah has knowledge) of the (Prophet's) cry : 'O my Lord! Verily these are the folk who do not believe!'
43 : 89
89. Faisfah AAanhum waqul salamun fasawfa yaAAlamoona
So disregard them (O Mohammed) and say : 'Peace!' They will come to know! (R)
OTHER TRANSLATIONS BY MUHSIN, YUSUFALI, PICKTHAL AND SHAKIR:
68. (It will be said to the true believers of Islāmic Monotheism): My worshippers! No fear shall be on you this Day, nor shall you grieve,
69. (You) who believed in Our Ayāt (proofs, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.) and were Muslims (i.e. who submit totally to Allāh's Will, and believe in the Oneness of Allāh - Islāmic Monotheism).
70. Enter Paradise, you and your wives, in happiness.
71. Trays of gold and cups will be passed round them, (there will be) therein all that the one's inner-selves could desire, all that the eyes could delight in, and you will abide therein forever.
72. This is the Paradise which you have been made to inherit because of your deeds which you used to do (in the life of the world).
73. Therein for you will be fruits in plenty, of which you will eat (as you desire).
74. Verily, the Mujrimūn (criminals, sinners, disbelievers, etc.) will be in the torment of Hell to abide therein forever.
75. (The torment) will not be lightened for them, and they will be plunged into destruction with deep regrets, sorrows and in despair therein.
76. We wronged them not, but they were the Zālimūn (polytheists, wrong-doers, etc.).
77. And they will cry: "O Malik (Keeper of Hell)! Let your Lord make an end of us." He will say: "Verily you shall abide forever."
78. Indeed We have brought the truth (Muhammad SAW with the Qur'ān), to you, but most of you have a hatred for the truth.
79. Or have they plotted some plan? Then We too are planning.
80. Or do they think that We hear not their secrets and their private counsel? (Yes We do) and Our Messengers (appointed angels in charge of mankind) are by them, to record.
81. Say (O Muhammad SAW): "If the Most Beneficent (Allāh) had a son (or children as you pretend), then I am the first of Allāh's worshippers [who deny and refute this claim of yours (and the first to believe in Allāh Alone and testify that He has no children)]." [Tafsir At-Tabarī].
82. Glorified be the Lord of the heavens and the earth, the Lord of the Throne! Exalted be He from all that they ascribe (to Him).
83. So leave them (alone) to speak nonsense and play until they meet the Day of theirs, which they have been promised.
84. It is He (Allāh) Who is the only Ilāh (God to be worshipped) in the heaven and the only Ilāh (God to be worshipped) on the earth. And He is the All-Wise, the All-Knower.
85. And blessed be He to Whom belongs the kingdom of the heavens and the earth, and all that is between them, and with Whom is the knowledge of the Hour, and to Whom you (all) will be returned.
86. And those whom they invoke instead of Him have no power of intercession; except those who bear witness to the truth (i.e. believed in the Oneness of Allāh, and obeyed His Orders), and they know (the facts about the Oneness of Allāh) .
87. And if you ask them who created them, they will surely say: "Allāh". How then are they turned away (from the worship of Allāh, Who created them)?
88. (Allāh has knowledge) of (Prophet Muhammad's) saying: "O my Lord! Verily, these are a people who believe not!"
89. So turn away from them (O Muhammad SAW), and say: Salām (peace)! But they will come to know.
YUSUFALI: My devotees! no fear shall be on you that Day, nor shall ye grieve,-
PICKTHAL: O My slaves! For you there is no fear this day, nor is it ye who grieve;
SHAKIR: O My servants! there is no fear for you this day, nor shall you grieve.
YUSUFALI: (Being) those who have believed in Our Signs and bowed (their wills to Ours) in Islam.
PICKTHAL: (Ye) who believed Our revelations and were self-surrendered,
SHAKIR: Those who believed in Our communications and were submissive:
YUSUFALI: Enter ye the Garden, ye and your wives, in (beauty and) rejoicing.
PICKTHAL: Enter the Garden, ye and your wives, to be made glad.
SHAKIR: Enter the garden, you and your wives; you shall be made happy.
YUSUFALI: To them will be passed round, dishes and goblets of gold: there will be there all that the souls could desire, all that their ayes could delight in: and ye shall abide therein (for eye).
PICKTHAL: Therein are brought round for them trays of gold and goblets, and therein is all that souls desire and eyes find sweet. And ye are immortal therein.
SHAKIR: There shall be sent round to them golden bowls and drinking-cups and therein shall be what their souls yearn after and (wherein) the eyes shall delight, and you shall abide therein.
YUSUFALI: Such will be the Garden of which ye are made heirs for your (good) deeds (in life).
PICKTHAL: This is the Garden which ye are made to inherit because of what ye used to do.
SHAKIR: And this is the garden which you are given as an inheritance on account of what you did.
YUSUFALI: Ye shall have therein abundance of fruit, from which ye shall have satisfaction.
PICKTHAL: Therein for you is fruit in plenty whence to eat.
SHAKIR: For you therein are many fruits of which you shall eat.
YUSUFALI: The sinners will be in the Punishment of Hell, to dwell therein (for aye):
PICKTHAL: Lo! the guilty are immortal in hell's torment.
SHAKIR: Surely the guilty shall abide in the chastisement of hell.
YUSUFALI: Nowise will the (Punishment) be lightened for them, and in despair will they be there overwhelmed.
PICKTHAL: It is not relaxed for them, and they despair therein.
SHAKIR: It shall not be abated from them and they shall therein be despairing.
YUSUFALI: Nowise shall We be unjust to them: but it is they who have been unjust themselves.
PICKTHAL: We wronged them not, but they it was who did the wrong.
SHAKIR: And We are not unjust to them, but they themselves were unjust.
YUSUFALI: They will cry: "O Malik! would that thy Lord put an end to us!" He will say, "Nay, but ye shall abide!"
PICKTHAL: And they cry: O master! Let thy Lord make an end of us. He saith: Lo! here ye must remain.
SHAKIR: And they shall call out: O Malik! let your Lord make an end of us. He shall say: Surely you shall tarry.
YUSUFALI: Verily We have brought the Truth to you: but most of you have a hatred for Truth.
PICKTHAL: We verily brought the Truth unto you, but ye were, most of you, averse to the Truth.
SHAKIR: Certainly We have brought you the truth, but most of you are averse to the truth.
YUSUFALI: What! have they settled some plan (among themselves)? But it is We Who settle things.
PICKTHAL: Or do they determine any thing (against the Prophet)? Lo! We (also) are determining.
SHAKIR: Or have they settled an affair? Then surely We are the settlers.
YUSUFALI: Or do they think that We hear not their secrets and their private counsels? Indeed (We do), and Our messengers are by them, to record.
PICKTHAL: Or deem they that We cannot hear their secret thoughts and private confidences? Nay, but Our envoys, present with them, do record.
SHAKIR: Or do they think that We do not hear what they conceal and their secret discourses? Aye! and Our messengers with them write down.
YUSUFALI: Say: "If (Allah) Most Gracious had a son, I would be the first to worship."
PICKTHAL: Say (O Muhammad): If the Beneficent One hath a son, then, I shall be first among the worshippers. (But there is no son).
SHAKIR: Say: If the Beneficent Allah has a son, I am the foremost of those who serve.
YUSUFALI: Glory to the Lord of the heavens and the earth, the Lord of the Throne (of Authority)! (He is free) from the things they attribute (to him)!
PICKTHAL: Glorified be the Lord of the heavens and the earth, the Lord of the Throne, from that which they ascribe (unto Him)!
SHAKIR: Glory to the Lord of the heavens and the earth, the Lord of power, from what they describe.
YUSUFALI: So leave them to babble and play (with vanities) until they meet that Day of theirs, which they have been promised.
PICKTHAL: So let them flounder (in their talk) and play until they meet the Day which they are promised.
SHAKIR: So leave them plunging into false discourses and sporting until they meet their day which they are threatened with.
YUSUFALI: It is He Who is Allah in heaven and Allah on earth; and He is full of Wisdom and Knowledge.
PICKTHAL: And He it is Who in the heaven is Allah, and in the earth Allah. He is the Wise, the Knower.
SHAKIR: And He it is Who is Allah in the heavens and Allah in the earth; and He is the Wise, the Knowing.
YUSUFALI: And blessed is He to Whom belongs the dominion of the heavens and the earth, and all between them: with Him is the Knowledge of the Hour (of Judgment): and to Him shall ye be brought back.
PICKTHAL: And blessed be He unto Whom belongeth the Sovereignty of the heavens and the earth and all that is between them, and with Whom is knowledge of the Hour, and unto Whom ye will be returned.
SHAKIR: And blessed is He Whose is the kingdom of the heavens and the earth and what is between them, and with Him is the knowledge of the hour, and to Him shall you be brought back.
YUSUFALI: And those whom they invoke besides Allah have no power of intercession;- only he who bears witness to the Truth, and they know (him).
PICKTHAL: And those unto whom they cry instead of Him possess no power of intercession, saving him who beareth witness unto the Truth knowingly.
SHAKIR: And those whom they call upon besides Him have no authority for intercession, but he who bears witness of the truth and they know (him).
YUSUFALI: If thou ask them, who created them, they will certainly say, Allah: How then are they deluded away (from the Truth)?
PICKTHAL: And if thou ask them who created them, they will surely say: Allah. How then are they turned away?
SHAKIR: And if you should ask them who created them, they would certainly say: Allah. Whence are they then turned back?
YUSUFALI: (Allah has knowledge) of the (Prophet's) cry, "O my Lord! Truly these are people who will not believe!"
PICKTHAL: And he saith: O my Lord! Lo! these are a folk who believe not.
SHAKIR: Consider his cry: O my Lord! surely they are a people who do not believe.
YUSUFALI: But turn away from them, and say "Peace!" But soon shall they know!
PICKTHAL: Then bear with them (O Muhammad) and say: Peace. But they will come to know.
SHAKIR: So turn away from them and say, Peace, for they shall soon come to know.