This Surah consists of 53 verses, 860 sentences, 5,588 letters and 5 Ruku's.
It is derived frog the sentence, wa amru-hum shura baina hum, of verse 38, implying thereby that it is a Surah in which the word shura has occurred.
Although it could not be known from any authentic traditions, yet one feels after a study of its subject matter that this Surah might have been sent down consecutively after Ha-Mim As Sajdah, for it seems to be, in a way, a supplement to it. This will become clear to every person who first studies Surah Ha-Mim As Sajdah carefully and then goes through this Surah. He will see that in that Surah the Quraish chiefs had been taken to tack for their deaf and blind opposition so that anyone in Makkah and in its out-skirts, who had any sense of morality and nobility left in him, should know how unreasonably the chiefs of the people were opposing Muhammad (upon whom be Allah's peace), and as against them, how serious he was in everything he said, how rational was his standpoint and how noble his character and conduct. Immediately after that warning this Surah was sent down, which did full justice to teaching and instruction, and made the truth of the Holy Prophet's message plain in such an impressive way that anyone who had any element of the love of the truth in him and who had not been blinded by the errors of ignorance, could not help being influenced by it.
The discourse begins in a way as if to say: "Why are you expressing surprise and amazement at what Our Prophet is presenting before you? What he says is not new or strange, nor anything novel, which might have been presented for the first time in history: that Revelation should come down to a man from God and he should be given instructions for the guidance of mankind. Allah has been sending similar Revelations with similar instructions to the former Prophets before this. It is not surprising that the Owner of the Universe should be acknowledged as Deity and Ruler, but what is strange is that one should accept another as divine and deity in spite of being His subject and slave. You are being angry with him who is presentiug Tauhid before you, where as the shirk that you are practising with regard to the Master of the Universe is such a grave crime as may cause the heavens to break asunder. The angels are amazed at this boldness of yours and fear that the wrath of Allah might descend on you any moment."
After this the people have been told that a person's being appointed to Prophethood and his presenting himself as a Prophet does not mean that he has been made master of the people's destinies and he has come to the world with that very claim. Allah has kept the destinies in His own hand. The Prophet has come only to arouse the heedless and guide the strayed ones to the Right Path. To call to account those who do not listen to him and to punish or not to punish them is Allah's own responsibility, and not part of the Prophet's work. Therefore, they should take it out of their head that the Prophet has come with a claim similar to those that are made by their so called religious guides and saints to the effect that he who would not listen to them, or would behave insolently towards them, would be burnt to death: In this very connection, the people have also been told that the Prophet has not come to condemn them but he is their well wisher; he is warning them that the way they are following will only lead to their own destruction.
Then, an answer has been given to the question: Why didn't Allah make all human beings righteous by birth, and why did He allow the difference of viewpoint owing to which the people start following each and every way of thought and action? The answer given is this: Owing to this very fact has it become possible for man to attain to the special mercy of Allah, which is not meant for other dumb creatures, but is only meant for those endowed with power and authority, who should take Allah as Patron and Guardian not instinctively but consciously by willing choice. Allah supports the man who adopts this way and guides and helps him to do good and right and admits him into His special mercy. On the contrary, the man who misuses his option and makes his patron those who are not, in fact, the guardians, and cannot be, are deprived of divine mercy. In this connection, it has also been made clear that only Allah is the Patron of man and of all other creatures. Others are neither the patron nor have the power to do full justice to patronage. Man's success depends only on this that he should make no mistake in choosing a patron for himself by the use of his free choice, and should take only Him his Guide Who, in reality, is the real Patron.
After this, it has been explained what the Din being presented by the Holy Prophet Muhammad (upon whom be Allah's peace) really is :
Its primary basis that as Allah Almighty is the Creator, Master and real Patron of the Universe and Man, He alone is Man's Ruler, He alone has the right to give Man Faith (Din) and Law (system of belief and practice) and judge the disputes of man and tell what is Truth and what is falsehood. No other being has any right whatever to be man's lawgiver. In other words, like the natural sovereignty, the sovereignty with regard to lawmaking also is vested only in Allah. No man or creature, apart from Allah, can be the bearer of this sovereignty. And if a person does not recognize and accept this Divine rule of Allah, it is merely futile for him to recognize the natural sovereignty of Allah.
On this very basis has Allah ordained a Din (True Religion) for Man from the very beginning. It was one and the same Religion that was vouchsafed in every age to all the Prophets. No Prophet ever founded any separate religion of his own. The same one Religion has been enjoined by Allah for all Mankind since the beginning of creation, and all the Prophets have been following it and inviting others to follow it.
This Religion and Creed was not sent so that man may rest content only with believing in it, but it was sent with the purpose and intention that it alone should be introduced, established and enforced in the world, and no man made religion be made to prevail in Allah's earth apart from His Religion. The Prophets had not been appointed only to preach this Religion but to establish it particularly in the world.
This same was the original Religion of mankind, but after the death of the Prophets, selfish people created new creeds by creating schisms for vested interests due to self-conceit, vanity and ostentation. All the different religions and creeds found in the world today have resulted from corruption of the original Divine Truth.
Now, the Holy Prophet Muhammad (upon whom be Allah's peace,) has been sent so that he may present before the people the same and original Religion in place of the various practices and artificial creeds and man made religions, and may try to establish the same. On this, if instead of being grateful, you feel angry and come out to fight him, it is your folly; the Prophet will not abandon his mission only because of your foolishness. He has been enjoined to adhere to his faith at all costs and to carry out the mission to which he has been appointed. Therefore, the people should not cherish any false hope that in order to please them he would cater to the same whims and superstitions of ignorance which has corrupted Allah's Religion before.
You do not understand how great an impudence it is against Allah to adopt a man made religion and law instead of the Religion and Law enjoined by Allah. You think it is an ordinary thing and there is nothing wrong with it. But in the sight of Allah it is the worst kind of shirk and a grave crime whose punishment will be imposed on all those who enforced their own religion on Allah's earth and those who adopted and followed their religion.
Thus, after presenting a clear and visible concept of Religion it is said: "The best possible method that could be employed for your instruction and for bringing you to the Right Path has already been employed. On the one hand, Allah has sent down His Book, which is teaching you the truth in a most impressive way in your own language; and on the other, the lives of the Holy Prophet Muhammad (upon whom be Allah's peace) aud his Companions are present before you by which you can see for yourselves what kind of men are prepared by the guidance given in this Book. Even then if you do not accept this guidance, nothing else in the world can bring you to the Right Path. The only alternative, therefore, is that you should be allowed to persist in the same error in which you have remained involved for centuries, and made to meet with the same doom which has been destined by Allah for such wrongdoers."
While stating these truths, brief arguments have been given, here and there, for Tauhid and the Hereafter, the world worshippers have been warned of the evil consequences and their punishment in the life hereafter, and the disbelievers have been criticised for the moral weaknesses, which were the real cause of their deviation from the truth. The Surah has been concluded with two important themes.
First, that the Holy Prophet was wholly unaware of this concept of the "Book" or the True Faith during the first forty years of his life and then his sudden appearance before the people with those two things, is a manifest proof of his being a Prophet.
Secondly, his presenting his own teaching as the teaching of God does not mean that he claims to have spoken to God, face to face, but God has conveyed to him this Guidance, as in the case of all other Prophets, in three ways: He speaks to His Prophets either through Revelation, or from behind a veil, or He sends an angel with the message. This thing was clarified so that the opponents did not have an opportunity of accusing the Holy Prophet of claiming to have spoken to God, face to face, and the lovers of the truth should know by what methods Allah gave instruction to the man whom He had appointed to the mission of Prophethood.
IMPORTANT: Please note that the Digest is based upon these outstanding translations and they have been reproduced here for the benefit of serious readers of the Quraan; the copyrights of these works are held by their respective authors/publishers from whom they can be purchased by anyone interested in acquiring them and we ardently hope that no offence will be taken by their inclusion.
Bismi Allahi alrrahmani alrraheemi
42 : 1
42 : 2
42 : 3
3. Kathalika yoohee ilayka wa-ila allatheena min qablika Allahu alAAazeezu alhakeemu
Thus Allah inspires you (O Mohammed) as He inspired the others before you! Allah is the Meritorious and the Sagacious.
42 : 4
4. Lahu ma fee alssamawati wama fee al-ardi wahuwa alAAaliyyu alAAatheemu
To Him belongs all that is in heavens and all that is on earth and He is the Supreme and the Magnificent!
42 : 5
5. Takadu alssamawatu yatafattarna min fawqihinna waalmala-ikatu yusabbihoona bihamdi rabbihim wayastaghfiroona liman fee al-ardi ala inna Allaha huwa alghafooru alrraheemu
The heavens come close to being torn apart whilst the angels glorify their Lord and seek forgiveness for the dwellers of the earth. Verily Allah, He is Magnanimous and Merciful!
42 : 6
6. Waallatheena ittakhathoo min doonihi awliyaa Allahu hafeethun AAalayhim wama anta AAalayhim biwakeelin
And as for those who have chosen other guardians besides Him, Allah does watch over them and you are in no way answerable for what they do!
42 : 7
7. Wakathalika awhayna ilayka qur-anan AAarabiyyan litunthira omma alqura waman hawlaha watunthira yawma aljamAAi la rayba feehi fareequn fee aljannati wafareequn fee alssaAAeeri
Thus We inspired in you a Tractate in Arabic so that you may warn the residents of the mother-of-cities and those around it; and warn them of a Day of assembling concerning which there is no doubt, that a group of them will be in the Garden and a group of them in the Fire!
42 : 8
8. Walaw shaa Allahu lajaAAalahum ommatan wahidatan walakin yudkhilu man yashao fee rahmatihi waalththalimoona ma lahum min waliyyin wala naseerin
Had Allah so willed, He would have made them all belong to one religion, but He brings into the folds of His mercy only those whom He will! And the sinners have neither any friends nor any cohorts!
42 : 9
9. Ami ittakhathoo min doonihi awliyaa faAllahu huwa alwaliyyu wahuwa yuhyee almawta wahuwa AAala kulli shay-in qadeerun
Or have they chosen other guardians besides Him? But Allah alone is the Guardian for all! He gives life to the dead and He is Omnipotent over all things! (R)
OTHER TRANSLATIONS BY MUHSIN, YUSUFALI, PICKTHAL AND SHAKIR:
[These letters are one of the miracles of the Qur'ān, and none but Allāh (Alone) knows their meanings].
3. Likewise Allāh, the All-Mighty, the All-Wise inspires you (O Muhammad SAW) as (He inspired) those before you.
4. To Him belongs all that is in the heavens and all that is in the earth, and He is the Most High, the Most Great.
5. Nearly the heavens might rent asunder from above them (by His Majesty), and the angels glorify the praises of their Lord, and ask for forgiveness for those on the earth, verily, Allāh is the Oft-Forgiving, the Most Merciful.
6. And as for those who take as Auliyā' (guardians, supporters, helpers, protectors, etc.) others besides Him [i.e. they take false deities other than Allāh (as) protectors, and they worship them] Allāh is Hafīz (Protector) over them (i.e. takes care of their deeds and will recompense them), and you (O Muhammad SAW) are not a Wakīl (guardian or a disposer of their affairs) over them (to protect their deeds, etc.).
7. And thus We have inspired unto you (O Muhammad SAW) a Qur'ān (in Arabic) that you may warn the Mother of the Towns (Makkah) and all around it. And warn of the Day of Assembling, of which there is no doubt, when a party will be in Paradise (those who believed in Allāh and followed what Allāh's Messenger SAW brought them) and a party in the blazing Fire (Hell) (those who disbelieved in Allāh and followed not what Allāh's Messenger SAW brought them)
8. And if Allāh had willed, He could have made them one nation, but He admits whom He wills to His Mercy. And the Zālimūn (polytheists and wrong-doers, etc.) will have neither a Walī (protector) nor a helper.
9. Or have they taken (for worship) Auliyā' (guardians, supporters, helpers, protectors, etc.) besides Him? But Allāh, He Alone is the Walī (Protector, etc.). And it is He Who gives life to the dead, and He is Able to do all things.
PICKTHAL: Ha. Mim.
SHAKIR: Ha Mim.
YUSUFALI: 'Ain. Sin. Qaf.
PICKTHAL: A'in. Sin. Qaf.
SHAKIR: Ain Sin Qaf.
YUSUFALI: Thus doth (He) send inspiration to thee as (He did) to those before thee,- Allah, Exalted in Power, Full of Wisdom.
PICKTHAL: Thus Allah the Mighty, the Knower inspireth thee (Muhammad) as (He inspired) those before thee.
SHAKIR: Thus does Allah, the Mighty, the Wise, reveal to you, and (thus He revealed) to those before you.
YUSUFALI: To Him belongs all that is in the heavens and on earth: and He is Most High, Most Great.
PICKTHAL: Unto Him belongeth all that is in the heavens and all that is in the earth, and He is the Sublime, the Tremendous.
SHAKIR: His is what is in the heavens and what is in the earth, and He is the High, the Great.
YUSUFALI: The heavens are almost rent asunder from above them (by Him Glory): and the angels celebrate the Praises of their Lord, and pray for forgiveness for (all) beings on earth: Behold! Verily Allah is He, the Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.
PICKTHAL: Almost might the heavens above be rent asunder while the angels hymn the praise of their Lord and ask forgiveness for those on the earth. Lo! Allah, He is the Forgiver, the Merciful.
SHAKIR: The heavens may almost rend asunder from above them and the angels sing the praise of their Lord and ask forgiveness for those on earth; now surely Allah is the Forgiving, the Merciful.
YUSUFALI: And those who take as protectors others besides Him,- Allah doth watch over them; and thou art not the disposer of their affairs.
PICKTHAL: And as for those who choose protecting friends beside Him, Allah is Warden over them, and thou art in no wise a guardian over them.
SHAKIR: And (as for) those who take guardians besides Him, Allah watches over them, and you have not charge over them.
YUSUFALI: Thus have We sent by inspiration to thee an Arabic Qur'an: that thou mayest warn the Mother of Cities and all around her,- and warn (them) of the Day of Assembly, of which there is no doubt: (when) some will be in the Garden, and some in the Blazing Fire.
PICKTHAL: And thus We have inspired in thee a Lecture in Arabic, that thou mayst warn the mother-town and those around it, and mayst warn of a day of assembling whereof there is no doubt. A host will be in the Garden, and a host of them in the Flame.
SHAKIR: And thus have We revealed to you an Arabic Quran, that you may warn the mother city and those around it, and that you may give warning of the day of gathering together wherein is no doubt; a party shall be in the garden and (another) party in the burning fire.
YUSUFALI: If Allah had so willed, He could have made them a single people; but He admits whom He will to His Mercy; and the Wrong-doers will have no protector nor helper.
PICKTHAL: Had Allah willed, He could have made them one community, but Allah bringeth whom He will into His mercy. And the wrong-doers have no friend nor helper.
SHAKIR: And if Allah had pleased He would surely have made them a single community, but He makes whom He pleases enter into His mercy, and the unjust it is that shall have no guardian or helper.
YUSUFALI: What! Have they taken (for worship) protectors besides Him? But it is Allah,- He is the Protector, and it is He Who gives life to the dead: It is He Who has power over all things,
PICKTHAL: Or have they chosen protecting friends besides Him? But Allah, He (alone) is the Protecting Friend. He quickeneth the dead, and He is Able to do all things.
SHAKIR: Or have they taken guardians besides Him? But Allah is the Guardian, and He gives life to the dead, and He has power over all things.
42 : 10
10. Wama ikhtalaftum feehi min shay-in fahukmuhu ila Allahi thalikumu Allahu rabbee AAalayhi tawakkaltu wa-ilayhi oneebu
And in matters over which there is a conflict between you, its adjudication rests solely with Allah! Such is my Lord in whom I put my trust and to whom I turn, -
42 : 11
11. Fatiru alssamawati waal-ardi jaAAala lakum min anfusikum azwajan wamina al-anAAami azwajan yathraokum feehi laysa kamithlihi shay-on wahuwa alssameeAAu albaseeru
Creator of the heavens and the earth! He has made for you pairs from within your own species, and there are pairs among cattle too, for the proliferation of your genes. There is none similar to Him in the universe and He hears everything and He sees everything!
42 : 12
12. Lahu maqaleedu alssamawati waal-ardi yabsutu alrrizqa liman yashao wayaqdiru innahu bikulli shay-in AAaleemun
To Him belong the keys of the heavens and of the earth! He increases the provision for whom He will and decreases it for whom He will. He is profound in knowledge!
42 : 13
13. SharaAAa lakum mina alddeeni ma wassa bihi noohan waallathee awhayna ilayka wama wassayna bihi ibraheema wamoosa waAAeesa an aqeemoo alddeena wala tatafarraqoo feehi kabura AAala almushrikeena ma tadAAoohum ilayhi Allahu yajtabee ilayhi man yashao wayahdee ilayhi man yuneebu
And He has ordained for you the same religion which He commended to Noah; and that which We inspire in you (O Mohammed) and that which We commended to Abraham and Moses and Jesus, saying : 'Secure your religion and do not weaken it with divisions! Repugnant to the idolaters is that towards which you beckon them! Allah chooses for Himself whom He will and guides towards Himself those who turn to Him for lenity!
42 : 14
14. Wama tafarraqoo illa min baAAdi ma jaahumu alAAilmu baghyan baynahum walawla kalimatun sabaqat min rabbika ila ajalin musamman laqudiya baynahum wa-inna allatheena oorithoo alkitaba min baAAdihim lafee shakkin minhu mureebin
They were not divided until after knowledge came to them, all by reason of mutual feuds. Were it not for one word that had already gone forth from your Lord to defer the issue for an appointed term, it would indeed have been resolved Aa long time ago. Those who subsequently inherited the Scripture are plunged in irretrievable doubts about it.
42 : 15
15. Falithalika faodAAu waistaqim kama omirta wala tattabiAA ahwaahum waqul amantu bima anzala Allahu min kitabin waomirtu li-aAAdila baynakum Allahu rabbuna warabbukum lana aAAmaluna walakum aAAmalukum la hujjata baynana wabaynakumu Allahu yajmaAAu baynana wa-ilayhi almaseeru
To this end, summon them (O Mohammed) and be resolute as you are commanded to be! And pursue not their desires but say : 'I believe in whatever Scripture Allah has sent down to me! I am commanded to justly arbitrate between you and to remind you that Allah is our Lord as well as your Lord! Our deeds are our responsibility and your deeds are your responsibility and let there be no conflicts between us and you. Allah will gather us all together, for to Him is our returning!
42 : 16
16. Waallatheena yuhajjoona fee Allahi min baAAdi ma istujeeba lahu hujjatuhum dahidatun AAinda rabbihim waAAalayhim ghadabun walahum AAathabun shadeedun
And those who argue about Allah after He has been acknowledged, their argument has no basis with their Lord! Upon them is His ire and for them awaits an acerbic castigation!
* * *
Context of Revelation : The following verses were revealed when the Prophet referred to the Day of Judgement and the disbelievers kept asking him to tell them when it was going to come about.
42 : 17
17. Allahu allathee anzala alkitaba bialhaqqi waalmeezani wama yudreeka laAAalla alssaAAata qareebun
Allah it is who has revealed this Scripture with Truth and incorporated in it the Scales (with which to weigh conduct) What can you tell them about the Hour but that perhaps it is nearer than you think!
42 : 18
18. YastaAAjilu biha allatheena la yu/minoona biha waallatheena amanoo mushfiqoona minha wayaAAlamoona annaha alhaqqu ala inna allatheena yumaroona fee alssaAAati lafee dalalin baAAeedin
And those who do not believe in the Hour hasten it on while those who believe are afraid of it and are convinced of its culmination! But verily those who do not believe in the Hour are lost the farthest in error!
* * *
41 : 19
19. Allahu lateefun biAAibadihi yarzuqu man yashao wahuwa alqawiyyu alAAazeezu
Allah is generous towards His bondsmen and provides for whomsoever He will. And He is the Mighty, the Meritorious! (R)
OTHER TRANSLATIONS BY MUHSIN, YUSUFALI, PICKTHAL AND SHAKIR:
10. And in whatsoever you differ, the decision thereof is with Allāh (He is the ruling Judge). (And say O Muhammad SAW to these polytheists:) Such is Allāh, my Lord in Whom I put my trust, and to Him I turn in all of my affairs and in repentance.
11. The Creator of the heavens and the earth. He has made for you mates from yourselves, and for the cattle (also) mates. By this means He creates you (in the wombs). There is nothing like unto Him, and He is the All-Hearer, the All-Seer.
12. To Him belong the keys of the heavens and the earth, He enlarges provision for whom He wills, and straitens (it for whom He wills). Verily! He is the All-Knower of everything.
13. He (Allāh) has ordained for you the same religion (Islām) which He ordained for Nūh (Noah), and that which We have inspired in you (O Muhammad SAW), and that which We ordained for Ibrahīm (Abraham), Mūsa (Mosesż) and 'Iesa (Jesus) saying you should establish religion (i.e. to do what it orders you to do practically), and make no divisions in it (religion) (i.e. various sects in religion). Intolerable for the Mushrikūn , is that to which you (O Muhammad SAW) call them. Allāh chooses for Himself whom He wills, and guides unto Himself who turns to Him in repentance and in obedience.
14. And they divided not till after knowledge had come to them, through selfish transgression between themselves. And had it not been for a Word that went forth before from your Lord for an appointed term, the matter would have been settled between them. And verily, those who were made to inherit the Scripture [i.e. the Taurāh (Torah) and the Injeel (Gospel)] after them (i.e. Jews and Christians) are in grave doubt concerning it (i.e. Allāh's true religion Islām or the Qur'ān).
15. So unto this (religion of Islām, alone and this Qur'ān) then invite (people) (O Muhammad SAW), and Istaqim [(i.e. stand firm and straight on Islāmic Monotheism by performing all that is ordained by Allāh (good deeds, etc.), and by abstaining from all that is forbidden by Allāh (sins and evil deeds, etc.)], as you are commanded, and follow not their desires but say: "I believe in whatsoever Allāh has sent down of the Book [all the holy Books, this Qur'ān and the Books of the old from the Taurāt (Torah), or the Injeel (Gospel) or the Pages of Ibrāhim (Abraham)] and I am commanded to do justice among you, Allāh is our Lord and your Lord. For us our deeds and for you your deeds. There is no dispute between us and you. Allāh will assemble us (all), and to Him is the final return.
16. And those who dispute concerning Allāh (His Religion of Islāmic Monotheism, with which Muhammad SAW has been sent), after it has been accepted (by the people), of no use is their dispute before their Lord, and on them is wrath, and for them will be a severe torment .
17. It is Allāh Who has sent down the Book (the Qur'ān) in truth, and the Balance (i.e. to act justly). And what can make you know that perhaps the Hour is close at hand?
18. Those who believe not therein seek to hasten it, while those who believe are fearful of it, and know that it is the very truth. Verily, those who dispute concerning the Hour are certainly in error far away.
19. Allāh is very Gracious and Kind to His slaves. He gives provisions to whom He wills. And He is the All-Strong, the All-Mighty.
YUSUFALI: Whatever it be wherein ye differ, the decision thereof is with Allah: such is Allah my Lord: In Him I trust, and to Him I turn.
PICKTHAL: And in whatsoever ye differ, the verdict therein belongeth to Allah. Such is my Lord, in Whom I put my trust, and unto Whom I turn.
SHAKIR: And in whatever thing you disagree, the judgment thereof is (in) Allah's (hand); that is Allah, my Lord, on Him do I rely and to Him do I turn time after time.
YUSUFALI: (He is) the Creator of the heavens and the earth: He has made for you pairs from among yourselves, and pairs among cattle: by this means does He multiply you: there is nothing whatever like unto Him, and He is the One that hears and sees (all things).
PICKTHAL: The Creator of the heavens and the earth. He hath made for you pairs of yourselves, and of the cattle also pairs, whereby He multiplieth you. Naught is as His likeness; and He is the Hearer, the Seer.
SHAKIR: The Originator of the heavens and the earth; He made mates for you from among yourselves, and mates of the cattle too, multiplying you thereby; nothing like a likeness of Him; and He is the Hearing, the Seeing.
YUSUFALI: To Him belong the keys of the heavens and the earth: He enlarges and restricts. The Sustenance to whom He will: for He knows full well all things.
PICKTHAL: His are the keys of the heavens and the earth. He enlargeth providence for whom He will and straiteneth (it for whom He will). Lo! He is Knower of all things.
SHAKIR: His are the treasures of the heavens and the earth; He makes ample and straitens the means of subsistence for whom He pleases; surely He is Cognizant of all things.
YUSUFALI: The same religion has He established for you as that which He enjoined on Noah - the which We have sent by inspiration to thee - and that which We enjoined on Abraham, Moses, and Jesus: Namely, that ye should remain steadfast in religion, and make no divisions therein: to those who worship other things than Allah, hard is the (way) to which thou callest them. Allah chooses to Himself those whom He pleases, and guides to Himself those who turn (to Him).
PICKTHAL: He hath ordained for you that religion which He commended unto Noah, and that which We inspire in thee (Muhammad), and that which We commended unto Abraham and Moses and Jesus, saying: Establish the religion, and be not divided therein. Dreadful for the idolaters is that unto which thou callest them. Allah chooseth for Himself whom He will, and guideth unto Himself him who turneth (toward Him).
SHAKIR: He has made plain to you of the religion what He enjoined upon Nuh and that which We have revealed to you and that which We enjoined upon Ibrahim and Musa and Isa that keep to obedience and be not divided therein; hard to the unbelievers is that which you call them to; Allah chooses for Himself whom He pleases, and guides to Himself him who turns (to Him), frequently.
YUSUFALI: And they became divided only after Knowledge reached them,- through selfish envy as between themselves. Had it not been for a Word that went forth before from thy Lord, (tending) to a Term appointed, the matter would have been settled between them: But truly those who have inherited the Book after them are in suspicious (disquieting) doubt concerning it.
PICKTHAL: And they were not divided until after the knowledge came unto them, through rivalry among themselves; and had it not been for a Word that had already gone forth from thy Lord for an appointed term, it surely had been judged between them. And those who were made to inherit the Scripture after them are verily in hopeless doubt concerning it.
SHAKIR: And they did not become divided until after knowledge had come to them out of envy among themselves; and had not a word gone forth from your Lord till an appointed term, certainly judgment would have been given between them; and those who were made to inherit the Book after them are most surely in disquieting doubt concerning it.
YUSUFALI: Now then, for that (reason), call (them to the Faith), and stand steadfast as thou art commanded, nor follow thou their vain desires; but say: "I believe in the Book which Allah has sent down; and I am commanded to judge justly between you. Allah is our Lord and your Lord: for us (is the responsibility for) our deeds, and for you for your deeds. There is no contention between us and you. Allah will bring us together, and to Him is (our) Final Goal.
PICKTHAL: Unto this, then, summon (O Muhammad). And be thou upright as thou art commanded, and follow not their lusts, but say: I believe in whatever scripture Allah hath sent down, and I am commanded to be just among you. Allah is our Lord and your Lord. Unto us our works and unto you your works; no argument between us and you. Allah will bring us together, and unto Him is the journeying.
SHAKIR: To this then go on inviting, and go on steadfastly on the right way as you are commanded, and do not follow their low desires, and say: I believe in what Allah has revealed of the Book, and I am commanded to do justice between you: Allah is our Lord and your Lord; we shall have our deeds and you shall have your deeds; no plea need there be (now) between us and you: Allah will gather us together, and to Him is the return.
YUSUFALI: But those who dispute concerning Allah after He has been accepted,- futile is their dispute in the Sight of their Lord: on them will be a Penalty terrible.
PICKTHAL: And those who argue concerning Allah after He hath been acknowledged, their argument hath no weight with their Lord, and wrath is upon them and theirs will be an awful doom.
SHAKIR: And (as for) those who dispute about Allah after that obedience has been rendered to Him, their plea is null with their Lord, and upon them is wrath, and for them is severe punishment.
YUSUFALI: It is Allah Who has sent down the Book in Truth, and the Balance (by which to weigh conduct). And what will make thee realise that perhaps the Hour is close at hand?
PICKTHAL: Allah it is Who hath revealed the Scripture with truth, and the Balance. How canst thou know? It may be that the Hour is nigh.
SHAKIR: Allah it is Who revealed the Book with truth, and the balance, and what shall make you know that haply the hour be nigh?
YUSUFALI: Only those wish to hasten it who believe not in it: those who believe hold it in awe, and know that it is the Truth. Behold, verily those that dispute concerning the Hour are far astray.
PICKTHAL: Those who believe not therein seek to hasten it, while those who believe are fearful of it and know that it is the Truth. Are not they who dispute, in doubt concerning the Hour, far astray?
SHAKIR: Those who do not believe in it would hasten it on, and those who believe are in fear from it, and they know that it is the truth. Now most surely those who dispute obstinately concerning the hour are in a great error.
YUSUFALI: Gracious is Allah to His servants: He gives Sustenance to whom He pleases: and He has power and can carry out His Will.
PICKTHAL: Allah is gracious unto His slaves. He provideth for whom He will. And He is the Strong, the Mighty.
SHAKIR: Allah is Benignant to His servants; He gives sustenance to whom He pleases, and He is the Strong, the Mighty.
41 : 20
20. Man kana yureedu hartha al-akhirati nazid lahu fee harthihi waman kana yureedu hartha alddunya nu/tihi minha wama lahu fee al-akhirati min naseebin
Whoever desires to reap a rich harvest in the Hereafter, We will make his harvest richer; and whoever sows to reap his harvest in the life of this world, We give him a small yield here, but he shall have no share in the Hereafter!
41 : 21
21. Am lahum shurakao sharaAAoo lahum mina alddeeni ma lam ya/than bihi Allahu walawla kalimatu alfasli laqudiya baynahum wa-inna alththalimeena lahum AAathabun aleemun
What! Have they any partners of Allah who have made lawful for them in religion that which Allah has not allowed? And if a time for judgement had not been fixed already, they would surely have been judged here and now! Verily for the sinful there awaits a grievous castigation!
41 : 22
22. Tara alththalimeena mushfiqeena mimma kasaboo wahuwa waqiAAun bihim waallatheena amanoo waAAamiloo alssalihati fee rawdati aljannati lahum ma yashaoona AAinda rabbihim thalika huwa alfadlu alkabeeru
You see the sinners apprehensive of that which they have earned, - and its outcome will surely befall them - while those who believe and perform seemly deeds will be in the floral glades of the Garden, and whatever they wish will be there for them with their Lord! This in itself is a great accomplishment!
* * *
Context of Revelation : The following verse was revealed when, shortly after the Prophet's emigration to Madina, a group of dedicated believers who admired him realized that whilst his outgoings were many, his income was meagre, and pooled together some donations and offered them to him as a gesture goodwill. But this revelation obliged him to turn it down, however grateful he was for their efforts.
42 : 23
23. Thalika allathee yubashshiru Allahu AAibadahu allatheena amanoo waAAamiloo alssalihati qul la as-alukum AAalayhi ajran illa almawaddata fee alqurba waman yaqtarif hasanatan nazid lahu feeha husnan inna Allaha ghafoorun shakoorun
These are glad tidings which Allah gives to His bondsmen who believe and perform righteous deeds. Say (O Mohammed to all mankind) : 'I seek not of you a financial gain towards this, except mutual affection between kinsfolk!' Whoever performs a righteous deed, We shall increase its good for him! Verily Allah is Magnanimous and Munificent!
* * *
42 : 24
24. Am yaqooloona iftara AAala Allahi kathiban fa-in yasha-i Allahu yakhtim AAala qalbika wayamhu Allahu albatila wayuhiqqu alhaqqa bikalimatihi innahu AAaleemun bithati alssudoori
Or do they say : 'He has concocted a lie about Allah?' If Allah willed, He could have sealed your heart against them! Allah will eradicate falsehood and assert the Truth over it by His word! Verily He is informed of what is hidden inside the human heart!
42 : 25
25. Wahuwa allathee yaqbalu alttawbata AAan AAibadihi wayaAAfoo AAani alssayyi-ati wayaAAlamu ma tafAAaloona
And He its who accepts repentance from His bondsmen and absolves them of their sins and is aware of what you do -
42 : 26
26. Wayastajeebu allatheena amanoo waAAamiloo alssalihati wayazeeduhum min fadlihi waalkafiroona lahum AAathabun shadeedun
And responds to those who believe and perform righteous deeds, and increases for them His benefactions. But for the disbelievers, there is only a severe punishment in store!
42 : 27
27. Walaw basata Allahu alrrizqa liAAibadihi labaghaw fee al-ardi walakin yunazzilu biqadarin ma yashao innahu biAAibadihi khabeerun baseerun
If Allah were to enlarge the provision of all His bondsmen, it would have resulted in strife upon the earth. But He sends it down in an approximate measure as He deems fit! Verily He is at all times cognizant of His creatures and watches over them.
42 : 28
28. Wahuwa allathee yunazzilu alghaytha min baAAdi ma qanatoo wayanshuru rahmatahu wahuwa alwaliyyu alhameedu
And He it is who sends down the rain even after they have abandoned their hope and diffuses His mercy on all! He is the true Guardian, the most Praiseworthy!
42 : 29
29. Wamin ayatihi khalqu alssamawati waal-ardi wama baththa feehima min dabbatin wahuwa AAala jamAAihim itha yashao qadeerun
Of His portents is the creation of the heavens and the earth and the beasts that roam upon it. And He is able to gather them at will! (R)
OTHER TRANSLATIONS BY MUHSIN, YUSUFALI, PICKTHAL AND SHAKIR:
20. Whosoever desires (with his deeds) the reward of the Hereafter, We give him increase in his reward, and whosoever desires the reward of this world (with his deeds), We give him thereof (what is written for him), and he has no portion in the Hereafter.
21. Or have they partners with Allāh (false gods), who have instituted for them a religion which Allāh has not allowed. And had it not been for a decisive Word (gone forth already), the matter would have been judged between them. And verily, for the Zālimūn (polytheists and wrong-doers), there is a painful torment.
22. You will see (on the Day of Resurrection), the Zālimūn (polytheists and wrong-doers, etc.) fearful of that which they have earned, and it (Allāh's Torment) will surely befall them, while those who believe (in the Oneness of Allāh Islāmic Monotheism) and do righteous deeds (will be) in the flowering meadows of the Gardens (Paradise), having what they wish from their Lord. That is the supreme Grace, (Paradise).
23. That is (the Paradise) whereof Allāh gives glad tidings to His slaves who believe (in the Oneness of Allāh Islāmic Monotheism) and do righteous good deeds. Say (O Muhammad SAW): "No reward do I ask of you for this except to be kind to me for my kinship with you." And whoever earns a good righteous deed, We shall give him an increase of good in respect thereof. Verily, Allāh is Oft-Forgiving, Most Ready to appreciate (the deeds of those who are obedient to Him).
24. Or say they: "He has invented a lie against Allāh?" If Allāh willed, He could have sealed your heart (so that you forget all that you know of the Qur'an). And Allāh wipes out falsehood, and establishes the truth (Islām) by His Word (this Qur'an). Verily, He knows well what (the secrets) are in the breasts (of mankind).
25. And He it is Who accepts repentance from His slaves, and forgives sins, and He knows what you do.
26. And He answers (the invocation of) those who believe (in the Oneness of Allāh Islāmic Monotheism) and do righteous good deeds, and gives them increase of His Bounty. And as for the disbelievers, theirs will be a severe torment.
27. And if Allāh were to enlarge the provision for His slaves, they would surely rebel in the earth, but He sends down by measure as He wills. Verily! He is in respect of His slaves, the Well-Aware, the All-Seer (of things that benefit them).
28. And He it is Who sends down the rain after they have despaired, and spreads abroad His Mercy. And He is the Walī (Helper, Supporter, Protector, etc.), Worthy of all Praise.
29. And among His Ayāt (proofs, evidences, lessons, signs, etc.) is the creation of the heavens and the earth, and whatever moving (living) creatures He has dispersed in them both. And He is All-Potent over their assembling (i.e. resurrecting them on the Day of Resurrection after their death, and dispersion of their bodies) whenever He will.
YUSUFALI: To any that desires the tilth of the Hereafter, We give increase in his tilth, and to any that desires the tilth of this world, We grant somewhat thereof, but he has no share or lot in the Hereafter.
PICKTHAL: Whoso desireth the harvest of the Hereafter, We give him increase in its harvest. And whoso desireth the harvest of the world, We give him thereof, and he hath no portion in the Hereafter.
SHAKIR: Whoever desires the gain of the hereafter, We will give him more of that gain; and whoever desires the gain of this world, We give him of it, and in the hereafter he has no portion.
YUSUFALI: What! have they partners (in godhead), who have established for them some religion without the permission of Allah? Had it not been for the Decree of Judgment, the matter would have been decided between them (at once). But verily the Wrong-doers will have a grievous Penalty.
PICKTHAL: Or have they partners (of Allah) who have made lawful for them in religion that which Allah allowed not? And but for a decisive word (gone forth already), it would have been judged between them. Lo! for wrong-doers is a painful doom.
SHAKIR: Or have they associates who have prescribed for them any religion that Allah does not sanction? And were it not for the word of judgment, decision would have certainly been given between them; and surely the unjust shall have a painful punishment.
YUSUFALI: Thou wilt see the Wrong-doers in fear on account of what they have earned, and (the burden of) that must (necessarily) fall on them. But those who believe and work righteous deeds will be in the luxuriant meads of the Gardens: they shall have, before their Lord, all that they wish for. That will indeed be the magnificent Bounty (of Allah).
PICKTHAL: Thou seest the wrong-doers fearful of that which they have earned, and it will surely befall them, while those who believe and do good works (will be) in flowering meadows of the Gardens, having what they wish from their Lord. This is the great preferment.
SHAKIR: You will see the unjust fearing on account of what they have earned, and it must befall them; and those who believe and do good shall be in the meadows of the gardens; they shall have what they please with their Lord: that is the great grace.
YUSUFALI: That is (the Bounty) whereof Allah gives Glad Tidings to His Servants who believe and do righteous deeds. Say: "No reward do I ask of you for this except the love of those near of kin." And if any one earns any good, We shall give him an increase of good in respect thereof: for Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Ready to appreciate (service).
PICKTHAL: This it is which Allah announceth unto His bondmen who believe and do good works. Say (O Muhammad, unto mankind): I ask of you no fee therefor, save lovingkindness among kinsfolk. And whoso scoreth a good deed We add unto its good for him. Lo! Allah is Forgiving, Responsive.
SHAKIR: That is of which Allah gives the good news to His servants, (to) those who believe and do good deeds. Say: I do not ask of you any reward for it but love for my near relatives; and whoever earns good, We give him more of good therein; surely Allah is Forgiving, Grateful.
YUSUFALI: What! Do they say, "He has forged a falsehood against Allah"? But if Allah willed, He could seal up thy heart. And Allah blots out Vanity, and proves the Truth by His Words. For He knows well the secrets of all hearts.
PICKTHAL: Or say they: He hath invented a lie concerning Allah? If Allah willed, He could have sealed thy heart (against them). And Allah will wipe out the lie and will vindicate the truth by His words. Lo! He is Aware of what is hidden in the breasts (of men).
SHAKIR: Or do they say: He has forged a lie against Allah? But if Allah pleased, He would seal your heart; and Allah will blot out the falsehood and confirm the truth with His words; surely He is Cognizant of what is in the breasts.
YUSUFALI: He is the One that accepts repentance from His Servants and forgives sins: and He knows all that ye do.
PICKTHAL: And He it is Who accepteth repentance from His bondmen, and pardoneth the evil deeds, and knoweth what ye do,
SHAKIR: And He it is Who accepts repentance from His servants and pardons the evil deeds and He knows what you do;
YUSUFALI: And He listens to those who believe and do deeds of righteousness, and gives them increase of His Bounty: but for the Unbelievers their is a terrible Penalty.
PICKTHAL: And accepteth those who do good works, and giveth increase unto them of His bounty. And as for disbelievers, theirs will be an awful doom.
SHAKIR: And He answers those who believe and do good deeds, and gives them more out of His grace; and (as for) the unbelievers, they shall have a severe punishment.
YUSUFALI: If Allah were to enlarge the provision for His Servants, they would indeed transgress beyond all bounds through the earth; but he sends (it) down in due measure as He pleases. For He is with His Servants Well-acquainted, Watchful.
PICKTHAL: And if Allah were to enlarge the provision for His slaves they would surely rebel in the earth, but He sendeth down by measure as He willeth. Lo! He is Informed, a Seer of His bondmen.
SHAKIR: And if Allah should amplify the provision for His servants they would certainly revolt in the earth; but He sends it down according to a measure as He pleases; surely He is Aware of, Seeing, His servants.
YUSUFALI: He is the One that sends down rain (even) after (men) have given up all hope, and scatters His Mercy (far and wide). And He is the Protector, Worthy of all Praise.
PICKTHAL: And He it is Who sendeth down the saving rain after they have despaired, and spreadeth out His mercy. He is the Protecting Friend, the Praiseworthy.
SHAKIR: And He it is Who sends down the rain after they have despaired, and He unfolds His mercy; and He is the Guardian, the Praised One.
YUSUFALI: And among His Signs is the creation of the heavens and the earth, and the living creatures that He has scattered through them: and He has power to gather them together when He wills.
PICKTHAL: And of His portents is the creation of the heaven and the earth, and of whatever beasts He hath dispersed therein. And He is Able to gather them when He will.
SHAKIR: And one of His signs is the creation of the heavens and the earth and what He has spread forth in both of them of living beings; and when He pleases He is all-powerful to gather them together.
42 : 30
30. Wama asabakum min museebatin fabima kasabat aydeekum wayaAAfoo AAan katheerin
And should a misfortune befall you, it is entirely on account of that which your own hands have earned, though much of what you do, He does exculpate!
42 : 31
31. Wama antum bimuAAjizeena fee al-ardi wama lakum min dooni Allahi min waliyyin wala naseerin
You are never beyond His reach upon the earth, for you have no friend nor a cohort beside Allah!
42 : 32
32. Wamin ayatihi aljawari fee albahri kaal-aAAlami
And of His portents are the ships that sail upon the oceans like mountains afloat!
42 : 33
33. In yasha/ yuskini alrreeha fayathlalna rawakida AAala thahrihi inna fee thalika laayatin likulli sabbarin shakoorin
If He will, He can bring the wind to halt, thereby rendering them motionless on the surface of the water! Verily there indeed are signs in all this for every patient and grateful soul -
42 : 34
34. Aw yoobiqhunna bima kasaboo wayaAAfu AAan katheerin
Or scuttle them for the sins of those aboard, - though He forgives much of what they have done -
42 : 35
35. WayaAAlama allatheena yujadiloona fee ayatina ma lahum min maheesin
And make those who altercate over Our revelations realize that there is no place for them to run!
* * *
Context of Revelation : The following verse was revealed when a devout disciple and a close associate of the Prophet (Abu Bakr), whose daughter he later on married, gave away his entire estate in charity, thus incurring the envy of the others within the community.
42 : 36
36. Fama ooteetum min shay-in famataAAu alhayati alddunya wama AAinda Allahi khayrun waabqa lillatheena amanoo waAAala rabbihim yatawakkaloona
All that which you have been given is but a transient comfort intended for the life of this world, while that which Allah has in store is better and more enduring: (it is) for those who believe and put their trust in their Lord!
42 : 37
37. Waallatheena yajtaniboona kaba-ira al-ithmi waalfawahisha wa-itha ma ghadiboo hum yaghfiroona
And for those who avoid committing worst sins and abominations and, whenever their anger is provoked, exercise lenity -
42 : 38
38. Waallatheena istajaboo lirabbihim waaqamoo alssalata waamruhum shoora baynahum wamimma razaqnahum yunfiqoona
And for those who respond to the command of their Lord and establish worship and resolve their affairs by means of mutual counsel and spend in Our way some of what We have given them -
42 : 39
39. Waallatheena itha asabahumu albaghyu hum yantasiroona
And for those who, when harm is done to them, defend themselves!
* * *
42 : 40
40. Wajazao sayyi-atin sayyi-atun mithluha faman AAafa waaslaha faajruhu AAala Allahi innahu la yuhibbu alththalimeena
The requital for an evil deed is a similar evil deed although for him that forgives and makes amends, his reward is a matter for Allah. He cherishes not the peremptory!
42 : 41
41. Walamani intasara baAAda thulmihi faola-ika ma AAalayhim min sabeelin
Those who retaliate in return for harm done, there is no way of apportioning blame on them.
42 : 42
42. Innama alssabeelu AAala allatheena yathlimoona alnnasa wayabghoona fee al-ardi bighayri alhaqqi ola-ika lahum AAathabun aleemun
The way of blame is only upon those who are peremptory towards others and rebel in the land without justification. For such, there is a harsh punishment in store!
42 : 43
43. Walaman sabara waghafara inna thalika lamin AAazmi al-omoori
But verily whoever forbears and exculpates, theirs are deeds of valour! (R)
OTHER TRANSLATIONS BY MUHSIN, YUSUFALI, PICKTHAL AND SHAKIR:
30. And whatever of misfortune befalls you, it is because of what your hands have earned. And He pardons much. (See the Qur'ān Verse 35:45).
31. And you cannot escape from Allāh (i.e. His Punishment) in the earth, and besides Allāh you have neither any Walī (guardian or a protector) nor any helper.
32. And among His Signs are the ships, in the sea, like mountains.
33. If He wills, He causes the wind to cease, then they would become motionless on the back (of the sea). Verily, in this are signs for everyone patient and grateful.
34. Or He may destroy them (by drowning) because of that which their (people) have earned. And He pardons much.
35. And those who dispute (polytheists, etc. with Our Messenger Muhammad SAW) as regards Our Ayāt (proofs, signs, verses, etc. of Islāmic Monotheism) may know that there is no place of refuge for them (from Allāh's punishment).
36. So whatever you have been given is but a passing enjoyment for this worldly life, but that which is with Allāh (Paradise) is better and more lasting for those who believe (in the Oneness of Allāh Islāmic Monotheism) and put their trust in their Lord (concerning all of their affairs).
37. And those who avoid the greater sins, and Al-Fawāhish (illegal sexual intercourse, etc.), and when they are angry, they forgive
38. And those who answer the Call of their Lord [i.e. to believe that He is the only One Lord (Allāh), and to worship none but Him Alone], and perform As-Salāt (Iqāmat-as-Salāt), and who (conduct) their affairs by mutual consultation, and who spend of what We have bestowed on them;
39. And those who, when an oppressive wrong is done to them, they take revenge.
40. The recompense for an evil is an evil like thereof, but whoever forgives and makes reconciliation, his reward is due from Allāh. Verily, He likes not the Zālimūn (oppressors, polytheists, and wrong-doers, etc.).
41. And indeed whosoever takes revenge after he has suffered wrong, for such there is no way (of blame) against them.
42. The way (of blame) is only against those who oppress men and wrongly rebel in the earth, for such there will be a painful torment.
43. And verily, whosoever shows patience and forgives that would truly be from the things recommended by Allāh.
YUSUFALI: Whatever misfortune happens to you, is because on the things your hands have wrought, and for many (of them) He grants forgiveness.
PICKTHAL: Whatever of misfortune striketh you, it is what your right hands have earned. And He forgiveth much.
SHAKIR: And whatever affliction befalls you, it is on account of what your hands have wrought, and (yet) He pardons most (of your faults).
YUSUFALI: Nor can ye frustrate (aught), (fleeing) through the earth; nor have ye, besides Allah, any one to protect or to help.
PICKTHAL: Ye cannot escape in the earth, for beside Allah ye have no protecting friend nor any helper.
SHAKIR: And you cannot escape in the earth, and you shall not have a guardian or a helper besides Allah.
YUSUFALI: And among His Signs are the ships, smooth-running through the ocean, (tall) as mountains.
PICKTHAL: And of His portents are the ships, like banners on the sea;
SHAKIR: And among His signs are the ships in the sea like mountains.
YUSUFALI: If it be His Will He can still the Wind: then would they become motionless on the back of the (ocean). Verily in this are Signs for everyone who patiently perseveres and is grateful.
PICKTHAL: If He will He calmeth the wind so that they keep still upon its surface - Lo! herein verily are signs for every steadfast grateful (heart). -
SHAKIR: If He pleases, He causes the wind to become still so that they lie motionless on its back; most surely there are signs in this for every patient, grateful one,
YUSUFALI: Or He can cause them to perish because of the (evil) which (the men) have earned; but much doth He forgive.
PICKTHAL: Or He causeth them to perish on account of that which they have earned - And He forgiveth much -
SHAKIR: Or He may make them founder for what they have earned, and (even then) pardon most;
YUSUFALI: But let those know, who dispute about Our Signs, that there is for them no way of escape.
PICKTHAL: And that those who argue concerning Our revelations may know they have no refuge.
SHAKIR: And (that) those who dispute about Our communications may know; there is no place of refuge for them.
YUSUFALI: Whatever ye are given (here) is (but) a convenience of this life: but that which is with Allah is better and more lasting: (it is) for those who believe and put their trust in their Lord:
PICKTHAL: Now whatever ye have been given is but a passing comfort for the life of the world, and that which Allah hath is better and more lasting for those who believe and put their trust in their Lord,
SHAKIR: So whatever thing you are given, that is only a provision of this world's life, and what is with Allah is better and more lasting for those who believe and rely on their Lord.
YUSUFALI: Those who avoid the greater crimes and shameful deeds, and, when they are angry even then forgive;
PICKTHAL: And those who shun the worst of sins and indecencies and, when they are wroth, forgive,
SHAKIR: And those who. shun the great sins and indecencies, and whenever they are angry they forgive.
YUSUFALI: Those who hearken to their Lord, and establish regular Prayer; who (conduct) their affairs by mutual Consultation; who spend out of what We bestow on them for Sustenance;
PICKTHAL: And those who answer the call of their Lord and establish worship, and whose affairs are a matter of counsel, and who spend of what We have bestowed on them,
SHAKIR: And those who respond to their Lord and keep up prayer, and their rule is to take counsel among themselves, and who spend out of what We have given them.
YUSUFALI: And those who, when an oppressive wrong is inflicted on them, (are not cowed but) help and defend themselves.
PICKTHAL: And those who, when great wrong is done to them, defend themselves,
SHAKIR: And those who, when great wrong afflicts them, defend themselves.
YUSUFALI: The recompense for an injury is an injury equal thereto (in degree): but if a person forgives and makes reconciliation, his reward is due from Allah: for (Allah) loveth not those who do wrong.
PICKTHAL: The guerdon of an ill-deed is an ill the like thereof. But whosoever pardoneth and amendeth, his wage is the affair of Allah. Lo! He loveth not wrong-doers.
SHAKIR: And the recompense of evil is punishment like it, but whoever forgives and amends, he shall have his reward from Allah; surely He does not love the unjust.
YUSUFALI: But indeed if any do help and defend themselves after a wrong (done) to them, against such there is no cause of blame.
PICKTHAL: And whoso defendeth himself after he hath suffered wrong - for such, there is no way (of blame) against them.
SHAKIR: And whoever defends himself after his being oppressed, these it is against whom there is no way (to blame).
YUSUFALI: The blame is only against those who oppress men and wrong-doing and insolently transgress beyond bounds through the land, defying right and justice: for such there will be a penalty grievous.
PICKTHAL: The way (of blame) is only against those who oppress mankind, and wrongfully rebel in the earth. For such there is a painful doom.
SHAKIR: The way (to blame) is only against those who oppress men and revolt in the earth unjustly; these shall have a painful punishment.
YUSUFALI: But indeed if any show patience and forgive, that would truly be an exercise of courageous will and resolution in the conduct of affairs.
PICKTHAL: And verily whoso is patient and forgiveth - lo! that, verily, is (of) the steadfast heart of things.
SHAKIR: And whoever is patient and forgiving, these most surely are actions due to courage.
42 : 44
44. Waman yudlili Allahu fama lahu min waliyyin min baAAdihi watara alththalimeena lamma raawoo alAAathaba yaqooloona hal ila maraddin min sabeelin
He whom Allah sends astray has no stalwarts against Him! And you (O Mohammed) will see these insidious folk, when they catch sight of castigation, how they say : 'Is there a way out of this mess?'
42 : 45
45. Watarahum yuAAradoona AAalayha khashiAAeena mina alththulli yanthuroona min tarfin khafiyyin waqala allatheena amanoo inna alkhasireena allatheena khasiroo anfusahum waahleehim yawma alqiyamati ala inna alththalimeena fee AAathabin muqeemin
And you will see how, when they confront the fire, humbled and disgraced, they look at it askance, while the believers say : 'Verily the biggest losers are those who lose their souls and their blood bonds on the Day of Resurrection! Verily the torment for the insidious is everlasting!
42 : 46
46. Wama kana lahum min awliyaa yansuroonahum min dooni Allahi waman yudlili Allahu fama lahu min sabeelin
And they will have no friends to help them against Allah! Those whom Allah sends astray, there is no way out for them!
42 : 47
47. Istajeeboo lirabbikum min qabli an ya/tiya yawmun la maradda lahu mina Allahi ma lakum min malja-in yawma-ithin wama lakum min nakeerin
Surrender to the command of your Lord before the arrival of the Day which will not be deferred by Allah! There will be no refuge for you on that Day, nor will you be able to refuse to capitulate!
42 : 48
48. Fa-in aAAradoo fama arsalnaka AAalayhim hafeethan in AAalayka illa albalaghu wa-inna itha athaqna al-insana minna rahmatan fariha biha wa-in tusibhum sayyi-atun bima qaddamat aydeehim fa-inna al-insana kafoorun
But if they remain adamant, We have not sent you as a guardian over them. Your task is nothing except the deliverance of Our message! And verily when We give man a taste of mercy from Us, he is delighted with it; but should a misfortune befall him because of that which his own hands had sent ahead of him, then he reveals how ungrateful he could be!
42 : 49
49. Lillahi mulku alssamawati waal-ardi yakhluqu ma yashao yahabu liman yashao inathan wayahabu liman yashao alththukoora
To Allah belongs the sovereignty of the heavens and the earth! He creates what He will, and He blesses whom He will with daughters and He blesses whom He will with sons -
42 : 50
50. Aw yuzawwijuhum thukranan wa-inathan wayajAAalu man yashao AAaqeeman innahu AAaleemun qadeerun
Or He mingles them, - sons and daughters - or makes barren whom He will! Verily He is the Erudite and the Omnipotent!
42 : 51
51. Wama kana libasharin an yukallimahu Allahu illa wahyan aw min wara-i hijabin aw yursila rasoolan fayoohiya bi-ithnihi ma yashao innahu AAaliyyun hakeemun
And it is not the status of any mortal that Allah should speak to him except either by means of Revelations, or sequestered by His aura, or by sending an angel to reveal what He will by His leave! Verily Allah is Meritorious and Sagacious!
42 : 52
52. Wakathalika awhayna ilayka roohan min amrina ma kunta tadree ma alkitabu wala al-eemanu walakin jaAAalnahu nooran nahdee bihi man nashao min AAibadina wa-innaka latahdee ila siratin mustaqeemin
Thus have We inspired in you (O Mohammed) a Spirit of Our command! You knew neither what the Scripture was nor the connotation of Faith. But We have made it a torch with which We guide whom We will of Our bondsmen. And verily you do indeed guide them on to the righteous path -
42 : 53
53. Sirati Allahi allathee lahu ma fee alssamawati wama fee al-ardi ala ila Allahi taseeru al-omooru
The path of Allah to whom belongs whatever is there in the heavens and whatever is there upon the earth! And every deed leads to Allah! (R)
OTHER TRANSLATIONS BY MUHSIN, YUSUFALI, PICKTHAL AND SHAKIR:
44. And whomsoever Allāh sends astray, for him there is no Walī (protector) after Him. And you will see the Zālimūn (polytheists, wrong-doers, oppressors, etc.) when they behold the torment, they will say: "Is there any way of return (to the world)?"
45. And you will see them brought forward to it (Hell) made humble by disgrace , (and) looking with stealthy glance. And those who believe will say: "Verily, the losers are they who lose themselves and their families on the Day of Resurrection. Verily, the Zālimūn [i.e. Al-Kāfirūn (disbelievers in Allāh, in His Oneness and in His Messenger SAW , polytheists, wrong-doers, etc.)] will be in a lasting torment.
46. And they will have no Auliyā' (protectors) to help them other than Allāh. And he whom Allāh sends astray, for him there is no way.
47. Answer the Call of your Lord (i.e. accept the Islāmic Monotheism, O mankind, and jinns) before there comes from Allāh a Day which cannot be averted. You will have no refuge on that Day nor there will be for you any denying (of your crimes as they are all recorded in the Book of your deeds).
48. But if they turn away (O Muhammad SAW from the Islāmic Monotheism, which you have brought to them). We have not sent you (O Muhammad SAW) as a Hafīz (protector) over them (i.e. to take care of their deeds and to recompense them). Your duty is to convey (the Message). And verily, when We cause man to taste of Mercy from Us, he rejoices thereat, but when some ill befalls them because of the deeds which their hands have sent forth, then verily, man (becomes) ingrate!
49. To Allāh belongs the kingdom of the heavens and the earth. He creates what He wills. He bestows female (offspring) upon whom He wills, and bestows male (offspring) upon whom He wills.
50. Or He bestows both males and females, and He renders barren whom He wills. Verily, He is the All-Knower and is Able to do all things.
51. . It is not given to any human being that Allāh should speak to him unless (it be) by Inspiration, or from behind a veil, or (that) He sends a Messenger to reveal what He wills by His Leave. Verily, He is Most High, Most Wise .
52. And thus We have sent to you (O Muhammad SAW) Ruhan (an Inspiration, and a Mercy) of Our Command. You knew not what is the Book, nor what is Faith? But We have made it (this Qur'ān) a light wherewith We guide whosoever of Our slaves We will. And verily, you (O Muhammad SAW) are indeed guiding (mankind) to the Straight Path (i.e. Allāh's religion of Islāmic Monotheism).
53. The Path of Allāh, to Whom belongs all that is in the heavens and all that is in the earth. Verily, all the matters at the end go to Allāh (for decision).
YUSUFALI: For any whom Allah leaves astray, there is no protector thereafter. And thou wilt see the Wrong-doers, when in sight of the Penalty, Say: "Is there any way (to effect) a return?"
PICKTHAL: He whom Allah sendeth astray, for him there is no protecting friend after Him. And thou (Muhammad) wilt see the evil-doers when they see the doom, (how) they say: Is there any way of return?
SHAKIR: And whomsoever Allah makes err, he has no guardian after Him; and you shall see the unjust, when they see the punishment, saying: Is there any way to return?
YUSUFALI: And thou wilt see them brought forward to the (Penalty), in a humble frame of mind because of (their) disgrace, (and) looking with a stealthy glance. And the Believers will say: "Those are indeed in loss, who have given to perdition their own selves and those belonging to them on the Day of Judgment. Behold! Truly the Wrong-doers are in a lasting Penalty!"
PICKTHAL: And thou wilt see them exposed to (the Fire), made humble by disgrace, and looking with veiled eyes. And those who believe will say: Lo! the (eternal) losers are they who lose themselves and their housefolk on the Day of Resurrection. Lo! are not the wrong-doers in perpetual torment?
SHAKIR: And you shall see them brought before it humbling themselves because of the abasements, looking with a faint glance. And those who believe shall say: Surely the losers are they who have lost themselves and their followers on the resurrection day. Now surely the iniquitous shall remain in lasting chastisement.
YUSUFALI: And no protectors have they to help them, other than Allah. And for any whom Allah leaves to stray, there is no way (to the Goal).
PICKTHAL: And they will have no protecting friends to help them instead of Allah. He whom Allah sendeth astray, for him there is no road.
SHAKIR: And they shall have no friends to help them besides Allah; and-- whomsoever Allah makes err, he shall have no way.
YUSUFALI: Hearken ye to your Lord, before there come a Day which there will be no putting back, because of (the Ordainment of) Allah! that Day there will be for you no place of refuge nor will there be for you any room for denial (of your sins)!
PICKTHAL: Answer the call of your Lord before there cometh unto you from Allah a Day which there is no averting. Ye have no refuge on that Day, nor have a ye any (power of) refusal.
SHAKIR: Hearken to your Lord before there comes the day from Allah for which there shall be no averting; you shall have no refuge on that day, nor shall it be yours to make a denial.
YUSUFALI: If then they run away, We have not sent thee as a guard over them. Thy duty is but to convey (the Message). And truly, when We give man a taste of a Mercy from Ourselves, he doth exult thereat, but when some ill happens to him, on account of the deeds which his hands have sent forth, truly then is man ungrateful!
PICKTHAL: But if they are averse, We have not sent thee as a warder over them. Thine is only to convey (the message). And lo! when We cause man to taste of mercy from Us he exulteth therefor. And if some evil striketh them because of that which their own hands have sent before, then lo! man is an ingrate.
SHAKIR: But if they turn aside, We have not sent you as a watcher over them; on you is only to deliver (the message); and surely when We make man taste mercy from Us, he rejoices thereat; and if an evil afflicts them on account of what their hands have already done, then-surely man is ungrateful.
YUSUFALI: To Allah belongs the dominion of the heavens and the earth. He creates what He wills (and plans). He bestows (children) male or female according to His Will (and Plan),
PICKTHAL: Unto Allah belongeth the Sovereignty of the heavens and the earth. He createth what He will. He bestoweth female (offspring) upon whom He will, and bestoweth male (offspring) upon whom He will;
SHAKIR: Allah's is the kingdom of the heavens and the earth; He creates what He pleases; He grants to whom He pleases daughters and grants to whom He pleases sons.
YUSUFALI: Or He bestows both males and females, and He leaves barren whom He will: for He is full of Knowledge and Power.
PICKTHAL: Or He mingleth them, males and females, and He maketh barren whom He will. Lo! He is Knower, Powerful.
SHAKIR: Or He makes them of both sorts, male and female; and He makes whom He pleases barren; surely He is the Knowing, the Powerful.
YUSUFALI: It is not fitting for a man that Allah should speak to him except by inspiration, or from behind a veil, or by the sending of a messenger to reveal, with Allah's permission, what Allah wills: for He is Most High, Most Wise.
PICKTHAL: And it was not (vouchsafed) to any mortal that Allah should speak to him unless (it be) by revelation or from behind a veil, or (that) He sendeth a messenger to reveal what He will by His leave. Lo! He is Exalted, Wise.
SHAKIR: And it is not for any mortal that Allah should speak to them, they could not bear to hear and they did not see.
YUSUFALI: And thus have We, by Our Command, sent inspiration to thee: thou knewest not (before) what was Revelation, and what was Faith; but We have made the (Qur'an) a Light, wherewith We guide such of Our servants as We will; and verily thou dost guide (men) to the Straight Way,-
PICKTHAL: And thus have We inspired in thee (Muhammad) a Spirit of Our command. Thou knewest not what the Scripture was, nor what the Faith. But We have made it a light whereby We guide whom We will of Our bondmen. And lo! thou verily dost guide unto a right path,
SHAKIR: And thus did We reveal to you an inspired book by Our command. You did not know what the Book was, nor (what) the faith (was), but We made it a light, guiding thereby whom We please of Our servants; and most surely you show the way to the right path:
YUSUFALI: The Way of Allah, to Whom belongs whatever is in the heavens and whatever is on earth. Behold (how) all affairs tend towards Allah!
PICKTHAL: The path of Allah, unto Whom belongeth whatsoever is in the heavens and whatsoever is in the earth. Do not all things reach Allah at last?
SHAKIR: The path of Allah, Whose is whatsoever is in the heavens and whatsoever is in the earth; now surely to Allah do all affairs eventually come.