This Surah consists of 34 verses, 548 sentences, 2,110 letters and 4 Ruku's.
It has been named Luqman after Luqman the Sage whose admonitions to his son have been related in vv. 12-19 of this Sura.
A perusal of the subject matter shows that it was sent down in the period when persecution to suppress and thwart the invitation to Islam had begun and every sort of machination had started being employed for the purpose. This is borne out by vv. 14,15, in which the young converts to Islam have been told that although the rights of the parents are the uppermost after God, they should not listen to them if they prevented them from accepting Islam, or compelled them to revert to the creed of shirk and polytheism. The same thing has been said in Surah Al-Ankabut, which indicates that both these Surahs were sent down in the same period. A study of the style and subject matter of the two Surahs on the whole, however, shows that Surah Luqman was sent down earlier, for one does not see any sign of the antagonism in its background though, contrary to this, while studying Surah Al-Ankabut one can clearly feel that the Muslims were being severely persecuted during the period of its revelation.
In this Surah the people have been made to under- stand the meaninglessness and absurdity of shirk and the truth and reasonableness of Tauhid, and they have been invited to give up blind imitation of their forefathers, consider with a cool mind the teachings which the Prophet Muhammad (upon whom be Allah's peace and blessings) is presenting from the Lord of the worlds, and see with open eyes the manifest Signs found in the universe around them and in their own selves, which bear evidence to its truth.
In this connection, it has also been pointed out that this is not a new teaching which might have been presented in the world, or in the land of Arabia, for the first time, and with which the people might be unfamiliar. The learned and wise people of the past ages said and taught the same thing which Muhammad (upon whom be Allah's peace) is teaching today. It is as if to say, "O people: In your own country there has lived a wise man, named Luqman, whose wisdom has been well known among you, whose proverbs and wise sayings are cited in your daily conversation and who is often quoted by your poets and orators. Now you should see for yourselves what creed and what morals he used to teach."
IMPORTANT: Please note that the Digest is based upon these outstanding translations and they have been reproduced here for the benefit of serious readers of the Qur’aan; the copyrights of these works are held by their respective authors/publishers from whom they can be purchased by anyone interested in acquiring them and we ardently hope that no offence will be taken by their inclusion.
Bismi Allahi alrrahmani alrraheemi
31 : 1
31 : 2
2. Tilka ayatu alkitabi alhakeemi
These are the revelations of the Scripture of wisdom -
31 : 3
3. Hudan warahmatan lilmuhsineena
A guidance and a mercy for those who are righteous, -
31 : 4
4. Allatheena yuqeemoona alssalata wayu/toona alzzakata wahum bial-akhirati hum yooqinoona
Those who establish worship and give to the deserving their due and solemnly believe in the Hereafter!
31 : 5
5. Ola-ika AAala hudan min rabbihim waola-ika humu almuflihoona
They are governed by the guidance of their Lord and they alone shall attain salvation!
31 : 6
6. Wamina alnnasi man yashtaree lahwa alhadeethi liyudilla AAan sabeeli Allahi bighayri AAilmin wayattakhithaha huzuwan ola-ika lahum AAathabun muheenun
And of mankind is he who invests in works of fiction so that he may deflect men from the path of Allah without himself having any knowledge of it and turns faith into a mockery! For such of them awaits an acerbic castigation!
31 : 7
7. Wa-itha tutla AAalayhi ayatuna walla mustakbiran kaan lam yasmaAAha kaanna fee othunayhi waqran fabashshirhu biAAathabin aleemin
Our revelations are recited to him, he turns away with spite, as though he heard
them not and as though his ears were plugged. So give him tidings of a painful
reference here is to an Arab merchant who used to purchase whatever folklores he
came across in course of his travels and narrate them to his friends in Mecca,
derisively pointing out that if the Prophet could beguile them with fables
from the past, so could he, and kept many a gullible Arab from paying
attention to the Qur'aan)
31 : 8
8. Inna allatheena amanoo waAAamiloo alssalihati lahum jannatu alnnaAAeemi
Verily for those who believe and perform righteous deeds are Gardens of delight -
31 : 9
9. Khalideena feeha waAAda Allahi haqqan wahuwa alAAazeezu alhakeemu
Wherein they shall dwell forever! Allah's promise will surely come to pass and He is the Meritorious and the Sagacious!
31 : 10
10. Khalaqa alssamawati bighayri AAamadin tarawnaha waalqa fee al-ardi rawasiya an tameeda bikum wabaththa feeha min kulli dabbatin waanzalna mina alssama-i maan faanbatna feeha min kulli zawjin kareemin
He has created the heavens without any columns for support as are visible to the eye and has placed firm hills upon the earth so that it does not quake under your feet and has populated it with a myriad variety of beasts! And We send down water from the sky and We cause the finest of plants to sprout from the earth in pairs!
31 : 11
11. Hatha khalqu Allahi faaroonee matha khalaqa allatheena min doonihi bali alththalimoona fee dalalin mubeenin
All this is the Creation of Allah! Now show Me that which those whom you worship in His place have created! Nay, but the insidious are plunged in blatant error! (R)
OTHER TRANSLATIONS BY MUHSIN, YUSUFALI, PICKTHAL AND SHAKIR:
[These letters are one of the miracles of the Qur'ân, and none but Allâh (Alone) knows their meanings.]
2. These are Verses of the Wise Book (the Qur'ân).
3. A guide and a mercy for the Muhsinűn (gooddoers)
4. Those who perform AsSalât (Iqamatas- Salât) and give Zakât and they have faith in the Hereafter with certainty.
5. Such are on guidance from their Lord, and such are the successful.
6. And of mankind is he who purchases idle talks (i.e.music, singing, etc.) to mislead (men) from the Path of Allâh without knowledge, and takes it (the Path of Allâh, the Verses of the Qur'ân) by way of mockery. For such there will be a humiliating torment (in the Hell-fire).
7. And when Our Verses (of the Qur'ân) are recited to such a one, he turns away in pride, as if he heard them not, as if there were deafness in his ear. So announce to him a painful torment.
8. Verily, those who believe (in Islâmic Monotheism) and do righteous good deeds, for them are Gardens of delight (Paradise).
9. To abide therein. It is a Promise of Allâh in truth. And He is the AllMighty, the AllWise.
10. He has created the heavens without any pillars, that you see and has set on the earth firm mountains, lest it should shake with you. And He has scattered therein moving (living) creatures of all kinds. And We send down water (rain) from the sky, and We cause (plants) of every goodly kind to grow therein.
11. This is the creation of Allâh. So show Me that which those (whom you worship), besides Him have created. Nay, the Zâliműn (polytheists, wrongdoers and those who do not believe in the Oneness of Allâh) are in plain error.
YUSUFALI: A. L. M.
PICKTHAL: Alif. Lam. Mim.
SHAKIR: Alif Lam Mim.
YUSUFALI: These are Verses of the Wise Book,-
PICKTHAL: These are revelations of the wise Scripture,
SHAKIR: These are verses of the Book of Wisdom
YUSUFALI: A Guide and a Mercy to the Doers of Good,-
PICKTHAL: A guidance and a mercy for the good,
SHAKIR: A guidance and a mercy for the doers of goodness,
YUSUFALI: Those who establish regular Prayer, and give regular Charity, and have (in their hearts) the assurance of the Hereafter.
PICKTHAL: Those who establish worship and pay the poor-due and have sure faith in the Hereafter.
SHAKIR: Those who keep up prayer and pay the poor-rate and they are certain of the hereafter.
YUSUFALI: These are on (true) guidance from their Lord: and these are the ones who will prosper.
PICKTHAL: Such have guidance from their Lord. Such are the successful.
SHAKIR: These are on a guidance from their Lord, and these are they who are successful:
YUSUFALI: But there are, among men, those who purchase idle tales, without knowledge (or meaning), to mislead (men) from the Path of Allah and throw ridicule (on the Path): for such there will be a Humiliating Penalty.
PICKTHAL: And of mankind is he who payeth for mere pastime of discourse, that he may mislead from Allah's way without knowledge, and maketh it the butt of mockery. For such there is a shameful doom.
SHAKIR: And of men is he who takes instead frivolous discourse to lead astray from Allah's path without knowledge, and to take it for a mockery; these shall have an abasing chastisement.
YUSUFALI: When Our Signs are rehearsed to such a one, he turns away in arrogance, as if he heard them not, as if there were deafness in both his ears: announce to him a grievous Penalty.
PICKTHAL: And when Our revelations are recited unto him he turneth away in pride as if he heard them not, as if there were a deafness in his ears. So give him tidings of a painful doom.
SHAKIR: And when Our communications are recited to him, he turns back proudly, as if he had not heard them, as though in his ears were a heaviness, therefore announce to him a painful chastisement.
YUSUFALI: For those who believe and work righteous deeds, there will be Gardens of Bliss,-
PICKTHAL: Lo! those who believe and do good works, for them are the gardens of delight,
SHAKIR: (As for) those who believe and do good, they shall surely have gardens of bliss,
YUSUFALI: To dwell therein. The promise of Allah is true: and He is Exalted in Power, Wise.
PICKTHAL: Wherein they will abide. It is a promise of Allah in truth. He is the Mighty, the Wise.
SHAKIR: Abiding in them; the promise of Allah; (a) true (promise), and He is the Mighty, the Wise.
YUSUFALI: He created the heavens without any pillars that ye can see; He set on the earth mountains standing firm, lest it should shake with you; and He scattered through it beasts of all kinds. We send down rain from the sky, and produce on the earth every kind of noble creature, in pairs.
PICKTHAL: He hath created the heavens without supports that ye can see, and hath cast into the earth firm hills, so that it quake not with you; and He hath dispersed therein all kinds of beasts. And We send down water from the sky and We cause (plants) of every goodly kind to grow therein.
SHAKIR: He created the heavens without pillars as you see them, and put mountains upon the earth lest it might convulse with you, and He spread in it animals of every kind; and We sent down water from the cloud, then caused to grow therein (vegetation) of every noble kind.
YUSUFALI: Such is the Creation of Allah: now show Me what is there that others besides Him have created: nay, but the Transgressors are in manifest error.
PICKTHAL: This is the Creation of Allah. Now show me that which those (ye worship) beside Him have created. Nay, but the wrong-doers are in error manifest!
SHAKIR: This is Allah's creation, but show Me what those besides Him have created. Nay, the unjust are in manifest error
31 : 12
12. Walaqad atayna luqmana alhikmata ani oshkur lillahi waman yashkur fa-innama yashkuru linafsihi waman kafara fa-inna Allaha ghaniyyun hameedun
And verily We gave Luqmaan profound wisdom saying : 'Be grateful to Allah! Whoever is grateful, he is grateful for the good of his own soul; and whoever is ungrateful, then verily Allah, the most glorified, does not depend upon it!
31 : 13
13. Wa-ith qala luqmanu liibnihi wahuwa yaAAithuhu ya bunayya la tushrik biAllahi inna alshshirka lathulmun AAatheemun
And (remember) when Luqmaan said to his son while counselling him : 'O my son! Do not assign partners to Allah, for assigning partners to Him is indeed a grave sin!
31 : 14
14. Wawassayna al-insana biwalidayhi hamalat-hu ommuhu wahnan AAala wahnin wafisaluhu fee AAamayni ani oshkur lee waliwalidayka ilayya almaseeru
And We have admonished man with regards to his parents - his mother bears him in her womb despite weakness upon weakness and his weaning is after two years - that he should acknowledge his gratitude to Me and to his parents. And your returning is to Me!
(According to one commentary, he who offers Salaat five times a day acknowledges
his gratitude to Allah, and he who prays for the good of his parents five times
a day after each Salaat, acknowledges his gratitude to his parents)
31 : 15
15. Wa-in jahadaka AAala an tushrika bee ma laysa laka bihi AAilmun fala tutiAAhuma wasahibhuma fee alddunya maAAroofan waittabiAA sabeela man anaba ilayya thumma ilayya marjiAAukum faonabbi-okum bima kuntum taAAmaloona
But if either of them attempt to persuade you to ascribe as partner to Me that about which you have no knowledge, then do not succumb to their persuasion. Be nice to them in their lifetime, but follow in the footsteps of him who turns to Me for guidance, for it is to Me that you will finally be returned and I will tell you all that you used to do!
(However, a line has to be drawn if the parents instruct him to assign partners
to Allah, because obedience towards the Commandments of Allah must take
precedence over all things).
31 : 16
16. Ya bunayya innaha in taku mithqala habbatin min khardalin fatakun fee sakhratin aw fee alssamawati aw fee al-ardi ya/ti biha Allahu inna Allaha lateefun khabeerun
'O my son! Evil - even if it be the weight of a mustard seed, whether it is embedded in a solid rock or is elsewhere in the heavens or upon earth - Allah will bring it out into the open, for Allah is Perspicacious and Cognizant!
31 : 17
17. Ya bunayya aqimi alssalata wa/mur bialmaAAroofi wainha AAani almunkari waisbir AAala ma asabaka inna thalika min AAazmi al-omoori
'O my son! Establish worship and enjoin kindness and forbid iniquity and persevere whatever may befall you, for verily these are at the core of dedication!
31 : 18
18. Wala tusaAAAAir khaddaka lilnnasi wala tamshi fee al-ardi marahan inna Allaha la yuhibbu kulla mukhtalin fakhoorin
'And turn not your face away scornfully from people, nor walk in the land with arrogance, for verily Allah extenuates not the supercilious and the disdainful.
31 : 19
19. Waiqsid fee mashyika waoghdud min sawtika inna ankara al-aswati lasawtu alhameeri
'And keep your gait moderate and the volume of your voice low, for verily the most grating of voices is the voice of the donkey! (R)
OTHER TRANSLATIONS BY MUHSIN, YUSUFALI, PICKTHAL AND SHAKIR:
12. And indeed We bestowed upon Luqmân AlHikmah (wisdom and religious understanding, etc.) saying: "Give thanks to Allâh," and whoever gives thanks, he gives thanks for (the good of) his ownself. And whoever is unthankful, then verily, Allâh is AllRich (Free of all wants), Worthy of all praise.
13. And (remember) when Luqmân said to his son when he was advising him: "O my son! Join not in worship others with Allâh. Verily! Joining others in worship with Allâh is a great Zűlm (wrong) indeed.
14. And We have enjoined on man (to be dutiful and good) to his parents. His mother bore him in weakness and hardship upon weakness and hardship, and his weaning is in two years give thanks to Me and to your parents, unto Me is the final destination.
15. But if they (both) strive with you to make you join in worship with Me others that of which you have no knowledge, then obey them not, but behave with them in the world kindly, and follow the path of him who turns to Me in repentance and in obedience. Then to Me will be your return, and I shall tell you what you used to do.
16. "O my son! If it be (anything) equal to the weight of a grain of mustard seed, and though it be in a rock, or in the heavens or in the earth, Allâh will bring it forth. Verily, Allâh is Subtle (in bringing out that grain), WellAware (of its place).
17. "O my son! AqimisSalât (perform AsSalât), enjoin (people) for AlMa'rűf (Islâmic Monotheism and all that is good), and forbid (people) from AlMunkar (i.e. disbelief in the Oneness of Allâh, polytheism of all kinds and all that is evil and bad), and bear with patience whatever befall you. Verily! These are some of the important commandments ordered by Allâh with no exemption.
18. "And turn not your face away from men with pride, nor walk in insolence through the earth. Verily, Allâh likes not each arrogant boaster.
19. "And be moderate (or show no insolence) in your walking, and lower your voice. Verily, the harshest of all voices is the voice (braying) of the ass."
YUSUFALI: we bestowed (in the past) Wisdom on Luqman: "Show (thy) gratitude to Allah." Any who is (so) grateful does so to the profit of his own soul: but if any is ungrateful, verily Allah is free of all wants, Worthy of all praise.
PICKTHAL: And verily We gave Luqman wisdom, saying: Give thanks unto Allah; and whosoever giveth thanks, he giveth thanks for (the good of) his soul. And whosoever refuseth - Lo! Allah is Absolute, Owner of Praise.
SHAKIR: And certainly We gave wisdom to Luqman, saying: Be grateful to Allah. And whoever is grateful, he is on!y grateful for his own soul; and whoever is ungrateful, then surely Allah is Self-sufficient, Praised.
YUSUFALI: Behold, Luqman said to his son by way of instruction: "O my son! join not in worship (others) with Allah: for false worship is indeed the highest wrong-doing."
PICKTHAL: And (remember) when Luqman said unto his son, when he was exhorting him: O my dear son! Ascribe no partners unto Allah. Lo! to ascribe partners (unto Him) is a tremendous wrong -
SHAKIR: And when Luqman said to his son while he admonished him: O my son! do not associate aught with Allah; most surely polytheism is a grievous iniquity--
YUSUFALI: And We have enjoined on man (to be good) to his parents: in travail upon travail did his mother bear him, and in years twain was his weaning: (hear the command), "Show gratitude to Me and to thy parents: to Me is (thy final) Goal.
PICKTHAL: And We have enjoined upon man concerning his partners - His mother beareth him in weakness upon weakness, and his weaning is in two years - Give thanks unto Me and unto thy parents. Unto Me is the journeying.
SHAKIR: And We have enjoined man in respect of his parents-- his mother bears him with faintings upon faintings and his weaning takes two years-- saying: Be grateful to Me and to both your parents; to Me is the eventual coming.
YUSUFALI: "But if they strive to make thee join in worship with Me things of which thou hast no knowledge, obey them not; yet bear them company in this life with justice (and consideration), and follow the way of those who turn to me (in love): in the end the return of you all is to Me, and I will tell you the truth (and meaning) of all that ye did."
PICKTHAL: But if they strive with thee to make thee ascribe unto Me as partner that of which thou hast no knowledge, then obey them not. Consort with them in the world kindly, and follow the path of him who repenteth unto Me. Then unto Me will be your return, and I shall tell you what ye used to do -
SHAKIR: And if they contend with you that you should associate with Me what you have no knowledge of, do not obey them, and keep company with them in this world kindly, and follow the way of him who turns to Me, then to Me is your return, then will I inform you of what you did--
YUSUFALI: "O my son!" (said Luqman), "If there be (but) the weight of a mustard-seed and it were (hidden) in a rock, or (anywhere) in the heavens or on earth, Allah will bring it forth: for Allah understands the finest mysteries, (and) is well-acquainted (with them).
PICKTHAL: O my dear son! Lo! though it be but the weight of a grain of mustard-seed, and though it be in a rock, or in the heavens, or in the earth, Allah will bring it forth. Lo! Allah is Subtile, Aware.
SHAKIR: O my son! surely if it is the very weight of the grain of a mustard-seed, even though it is in (the heart of) rock, or (high above) in the heaven or (deep down) in the earth, Allah will bring it (to light); surely Allah is Knower of subtleties, Aware;
YUSUFALI: "O my son! establish regular prayer, enjoin what is just, and forbid what is wrong: and bear with patient constancy whatever betide thee; for this is firmness (of purpose) in (the conduct of) affairs.
PICKTHAL: O my dear son! Establish worship and enjoin kindness and forbid iniquity, and persevere whatever may befall thee. Lo! that is of the steadfast heart of things.
SHAKIR: O my son! keep up prayer and enjoin the good and forbid the evil, and bear patiently that which befalls you; surely these acts require courage;
YUSUFALI: "And swell not thy cheek (for pride) at men, nor walk in insolence through the earth; for Allah loveth not any arrogant boaster.
PICKTHAL: Turn not thy cheek in scorn toward folk, nor walk with pertness in the land. Lo! Allah loveth not each braggart boaster.
SHAKIR: And do not turn your face away from people in contempt, nor go about in the land exulting overmuch; surely Allah does not love any self-conceited boaster;
YUSUFALI: "And be moderate in thy pace, and lower thy voice; for the harshest of sounds without doubt is the braying of the ass."
PICKTHAL: Be modest in thy bearing and subdue thy voice. Lo! the harshest of all voices is the voice of the ass.
SHAKIR: And pursue the right course in your going about and lower your voice; surely the most hateful of voices is braying of the asses.
31 : 20
20. Alam taraw anna Allaha sakhkhara lakum ma fee alssamawati wama fee al-ardi waasbagha AAalaykum niAAamahu thahiratan wabatinatan wamina alnnasi man yujadilu fee Allahi bighayri AAilmin wala hudan wala kitabin muneerin
Do you not see how Allah has made useful to you whatever is in the heavens and upon the earth and has given you His benefactions in the fullest measure, some apparent and others inherent? Yet of mankind is he who argues over Allah without having any knowledge nor any guidance nor a clear Scripture throwing light on it!
31 : 21
21. Wa-itha qeela lahumu ittabiAAoo ma anzala Allahu qaloo bal nattabiAAu ma wajadna AAalayhi abaana awa law kana alshshaytanu yadAAoohum ila AAathabi alssaAAeeri
When it is said to them : 'Follow that which has been revealed by Allah!' they say : 'Nay, we will follow that which we found our forefathers to be following!' What! Even if the devil is beckoning them towards the doom of fire?
31 : 22
22. Waman yuslim wajhahu ila Allahi wahuwa muhsinun faqadi istamsaka bialAAurwati alwuthqa wa-ila Allahi AAaqibatu al-omoori
So whoever subjugates himself to the will of Allah and is a performer of seemly deeds, verily he is tethered by a firm knot! To Allah belongs the sequel of all things.
31 : 23
23. Waman kafara fala yahzunka kufruhu ilayna marjiAAuhum fanunabbi-ohum bima AAamiloo inna Allaha AAaleemun bithati alssudoori
And as for him who remains a disbeliever, distress yourself not (O Mohammed) over his agnosticism! All must return to Us in the end and We shall tell them what they used to do. Verily Allah is well appraised of whatever is concealed inside the human heart!
31 : 24
24. NumattiAAuhum qaleelan thumma nadtarruhum ila AAathabin ghaleethin
We give them some transient comforts, then We shall drag them towards their arduous castigation!
31 : 25
25. Wala-in saaltahum man khalaqa alssamawati waal-arda layaqoolunna Allahu quli alhamdu lillahi bal aktharuhum la yaAAlamoona
If you were to ask them : 'Who created the heavens and the earth?' they would say : 'Allah!' Say to them : 'Praise be to Allah!' though most of them accept this not!
26. Lillahi ma fee alssamawati waal-ardi inna Allaha huwa alghaniyyu alhameedu
To Allah belongs whatsoever is in the heavens and upon earth! Verily Allah is Profound and Meritorious!
31 : 27
27. Walaw annama fee al-ardi min shajaratin aqlamun waalbahru yamudduhu min baAAdihi sabAAatu abhurin ma nafidat kalimatu Allahi inna Allaha AAazeezun hakeemun
And if all the trees upon the earth were pens and the seas, together with seven such seas, became ink for them, even then the message of Allah will not end! Verily Allah is Exalted and Wise!
31 : 28
28. Ma khalqukum wala baAAthukum illa kanafsin wahidatin inna Allaha sameeAAun baseerun
Your creation and then your raising from the dead is equal to the creation and the raising from the dead of one single soul! Verily Allah hears and sees everything.
31 : 29
29. Alam tara anna Allaha yooliju allayla fee alnnahari wayooliju alnnahara fee allayli wasakhkhara alshshamsa waalqamara kullun yajree ila ajalin musamman waanna Allaha bima taAAmaloona khabeerun
Seen you not how Allah causes the night to blend into the day and the day to blend into the night and has made the sun and the moon of use by assigning to each specific duration in orbit; and that Allah is fully aware of all your deeds?
31 : 30
30. Thalika bi-anna Allaha huwa alhaqqu waanna ma yadAAoona min doonihi albatilu waanna Allaha huwa alAAaliyyu alkabeeru
This is so because Allah alone is the Truth whereas those whom you invoke instead of Him are False; and because Allah is the Apex and Allah is the Utmost! (R)
OTHER TRANSLATIONS BY MUHSIN, YUSUFALI, PICKTHAL AND SHAKIR:
20. See you not (O men) that Allâh has subjected for you whatsoever is in the heavens and whatsoever is in the earth, and has completed and perfected His Graces upon you, (both) apparent (i.e Islâmic Monotheism, and the lawful pleasures of this world, including health, good looks, etc.) and hidden [i.e. One's Faith in Allâh (of Islâmic Monotheism) knowledge, wisdom, guidance for doing righteous deeds, and also the pleasures and delights of the Hereafter in Paradise, etc.]? Yet of mankind is he who disputes about Allâh without knowledge or guidance or a Book giving light!
21. And when it is said to them: "Follow that which Allâh has sent down", they say: "Nay, we shall follow that which we found our fathers (following)." (Would they do so) even if Shaitân (Satan) invites them to the torment of the Fire.
22. And whosoever submits his face (himself) to Allâh [i.e.(follows Allâh's Religion of Islâmic Monotheism), worships Allâh (Alone) with sincere Faith in the (1) Oneness of His Lordship,(2) Oneness of His worship, and (3) Oneness of His Names and Qualities], while he is a Muhsin (gooddoer i.e. performs good deeds totally for Allâh's sake without any show-off or to gain praise or fame etc. and does them in accordance with the Sunnah of Allâh's Messenger Muhammad SAW), then he has grasped the most trustworthy handhold [Lâ ilâha ill-Allâh (none has the right to be worshipped but Allâh)]. And to Allâh return all matters for decision.
23. And whoever disbelieved, let not his disbelief grieve you (O Muhammad SAW),. to Us is their return, and We shall inform them what they have done. Verily, Allâh is the AllKnower of what is in the breasts (of men).
24. We let them enjoy for a little while, then in the end We shall oblige them to (enter) a great torment.
25. And if you (O Muhammad SAW) ask them: "Who has created the heavens and the earth," they will certainly say: "Allâh." Say: "All the praises and thanks be to Allâh!" But most of them know not.
26. To Allâh belongs whatsoever is in the heavens and the earth. Verily, Allâh, He is AlGhanî (Rich, Free of all wants), Worthy of all praise.
27. And if all the trees on the earth were pens and the sea (were ink wherewith to write), with seven seas behind it to add to its (supply), yet the Words of Allâh would not be exhausted. Verily, Allâh is AllMighty, AllWise.
28. The creation of you all and the resurrection of you all are only as (the creation and resurrection of) a single person. Verily, Allâh is AllHearer, AllSeer.
29. See you not (O Muhammad SAW) that Allâh merges the night into the day (i.e. the decrease in the hours of the night are added in the hours of the day), and merges the day into the night (i.e. the decrease in the hours of day are added in the hours of night), and has subjected the sun and the moon, each running its course for a term appointed; and that Allâh is AllAware of what you do.
30. That is because Allâh, He is the Truth, and that which they invoke besides Him is AlBâtil (falsehood, Satan and all other false deities), and that Allâh, He is the Most High, the Most Great.
YUSUFALI: Do ye not see that Allah has subjected to your (use) all things in the heavens and on earth, and has made his bounties flow to you in exceeding measure, (both) seen and unseen? Yet there are among men those who dispute about Allah, without knowledge and without guidance, and without a Book to enlighten them!
PICKTHAL: See ye not how Allah hath made serviceable unto you whatsoever is in the skies and whatsoever is in the earth and hath loaded you with His favours both without and within? Yet of mankind is he who disputeth concerning Allah, without knowledge or guidance or a scripture giving light.
SHAKIR: Do you not see that Allah has made what is in the heavens and what is in the earth subservient to you, and made complete to you His favors outwardly and inwardly? And among men is he who disputes in respect of Allah though having no knowledge nor guidance, nor a book giving light.
YUSUFALI: When they are told to follow the (Revelation) that Allah has sent down, they say: "Nay, we shall follow the ways that we found our fathers (following). "What! even if it is Satan beckoning them to the Penalty of the (Blazing) Fire?
PICKTHAL: And if it be said unto them: Follow that which Allah hath revealed, they say: Nay, but we follow that wherein we found our fathers. What! Even though the devil were inviting them unto the doom of flame?
SHAKIR: And when it is said to them: Follow what Allah has revealed, they say: Nay, we follow that on which we found our fathers. What! though the Shaitan calls them to the chastisement of the burning fire!
YUSUFALI: Whoever submits his whole self to Allah, and is a doer of good, has grasped indeed the most trustworthy hand-hold: and with Allah rests the End and Decision of (all) affairs.
PICKTHAL: Whosoever surrendereth his purpose to Allah while doing good, he verily hath grasped the firm hand-hold. Unto Allah belongeth the sequel of all things.
SHAKIR: And whoever submits himself wholly to Allah and he is the doer of good (to others), he indeed has taken hold of the firmest thing upon which one can lay hold; and Allah's is the end of affairs.
YUSUFALI: But if any reject Faith, let not his rejection grieve thee: to Us is their return, and We shall tell them the truth of their deeds: for Allah knows well all that is in (men's) hearts.
PICKTHAL: And whosoever disbelieveth, let not his disbelief afflict thee (O Muhammad). Unto Us is their return, and We shall tell them what they did. Lo! Allah is Aware of what is in the breasts (of men).
SHAKIR: And whoever disbelieves, let not his disbelief grieve you; to Us is their return, then will We inform them of what they did surely Allah is the Knower of what is in the breasts.
YUSUFALI: We grant them their pleasure for a little while: in the end shall We drive them to a chastisement unrelenting.
PICKTHAL: We give them comfort for a little, and then We drive them to a heavy doom.
SHAKIR: We give them to enjoy a little, then will We drive them to a severe chastisement.
YUSUFALI: If thou ask them, who it is that created the heavens and the earth. They will certainly say, "Allah". Say: "Praise be to Allah!" But most of them understand not.
PICKTHAL: If thou shouldst ask them: Who created the heavens and the earth? they would answer: Allah. Say: Praise be to Allah! But most of them know not.
SHAKIR: And if you ask them who created the heavens and the earth, they will certainly say: Allah. Say: (All) praise is due to Allah; nay! most of them do not know.
YUSUFALI: To Allah belong all things in heaven and earth: verily Allah is He (that is) free of all wants, worthy of all praise.
PICKTHAL: Unto Allah belongeth whatsoever is in the heavens and the earth. Lo! Allah, He is the Absolute, the Owner of Praise.
SHAKIR: What is in the heavens and the earth is Allah's; surely Allah is the Self-sufficient, the Praised.
YUSUFALI: And if all the trees on earth were pens and the ocean (were ink), with seven oceans behind it to add to its (supply), yet would not the words of Allah be exhausted (in the writing): for Allah is Exalted in Power, full of Wisdom.
PICKTHAL: And if all the trees in the earth were pens, and the sea, with seven more seas to help it, (were ink), the words of Allah could not be exhausted. Lo! Allah is Mighty, Wise.
SHAKIR: And were every tree that is in the earth (made into) pens and the sea (to supply it with ink), with seven more seas to increase it, the words of Allah would not come to an end; surely Allah is Mighty, Wise.
YUSUFALI: And your creation or your resurrection is in no wise but as an individual soul: for Allah is He Who hears and sees (all things).
PICKTHAL: Your creation and your raising (from the dead) are only as (the creation and the raising of) a single soul. Lo! Allah is Hearer, Knower.
SHAKIR: Neither your creation nor your raising is anything but as a single soul; surely Allah is Hearing, Seeing.
YUSUFALI: Seest thou not that Allah merges Night into Day and he merges Day into Night; that He has subjected the sun, and the moon (to his Law), each running its course for a term appointed; and that Allah is well-acquainted with all that ye do?
PICKTHAL: Hast thou not seen how Allah causeth the night to pass into the day and causeth the day to pass into the night, and hath subdued the sun and the moon (to do their work), each running unto an appointed term; and that Allah is Informed of what ye do?
SHAKIR: Do you not see that Allah makes the night to enter into the day, and He makes the day to enter into the night, and He has made the sun and the moon subservient (to you); each pursues its course till an appointed time; and that Allah is Aware of what you do?
YUSUFALI: That is because Allah is the (only) Reality, and because whatever else they invoke besides Him is Falsehood; and because Allah,- He is the Most High, Most Great.
PICKTHAL: That (is so) because Allah, He is the True, and that which they invoke beside Him is the False, and because Allah, He is the Sublime, the Great.
SHAKIR: This is because Allah is the Truth, and that which they call upon besides Him is the falsehood, and that Allah is the High, the Great.
31 : 31
31. Alam tara anna alfulka tajree fee albahri biniAAmati Allahi liyuriyakum min ayatihi inna fee thalika laayatin likulli sabbarin shakoorin
Have you not observed how the ships sail on the ocean by Allah's grace so that He may show of His signs? Verily therein are portents for those who have patience and gratitude!
* * *
Context of Revelation
: The following verse was revealed when some of the disbelievers fled from Mecca
after it fell to the Muslims and got aboard a ship. However, as soon as their
vessel fell foul of storms, they vowed that they would embrace Islam if they
were delivered from the peril - a vow which but a handful of them kept!
31 : 32
32. Wa-itha ghashiyahum mawjun kaalththulali daAAawoo Allaha mukhliseena lahu alddeena falamma najjahum ila albarri faminhum muqtasidun wama yajhadu bi-ayatina illa kullu khattarin kafoorin
When a tide rises above them like a shroud, they look to Allah for help, feigning their faith in Him alone. But when He brings them safely to shore, only some stand by their resolve. None refutes Our signs save those who are disloyal and ungrateful
* * *
31 : 33
33. Ya ayyuha alnnasu ittaqoo rabbakum waikhshaw yawman la yajzee walidun AAan waladihi wala mawloodun huwa jazin AAan walidihi shay-an inna waAAda Allahi haqqun fala taghurrannakumu alhayatu alddunya wala yaghurrannakum biAllahi algharooru
O mankind! Render your duty to your Lord and fear the Day when no parent shall succour his son in any way nor a son avail his parent! Allah's promise will come to pass so let not the life of this world beguile you nor the Deceiver deceive you in matters pertaining to Allah!
* * *
Context of Revelation : The following verse was revealed when the Prophet was asked by the disbelievers to predict the Hour, or to tell them when would the rains fall, or what was in the wombs of their wives - whether a boy or a girl, or when and where they were destined to die or what was going to happen the next day!
31 : 34
34. Inna Allaha AAindahu AAilmu alssaAAati wayunazzilu alghaytha wayaAAlamu ma fee al-arhami wama tadree nafsun matha taksibu ghadan wama tadree nafsun bi-ayyi ardin tamootu inna Allaha AAaleemun khabeerun
Verily Allah keeps with Him the knowledge of the Hour; and He sends down the rain; and only He is aware of that which is in the wombs of mothers; and no soul knows what it is going to earn tomorrow nor where it is going to die! Verily Allah knows and it is for Him to inform! (R)
OTHER TRANSLATIONS BY MUHSIN, YUSUFALI, PICKTHAL AND SHAKIR:
31. See you not that the ships sail through the sea by Allâh's Grace? that He may show you of His Signs? Verily, in this are signs for every patient, grateful (person).
32. And when a wave covers them like shades (i.e. like clouds or the mountains of seawater), they invoke Allâh, making their invocations for Him only. But when He brings them safe to land, there are among them those that stop in the middle, between (Belief and disbelief). But none denies Our Signs except every perfidious ungrateful.
33. O mankind! Be afraid of your Lord (by keeping your duty to Him and avoiding all evil), and fear a Day when no father can avail aught for his son, nor a son avail aught for his father. Verily, the Promise of Allâh is true, let not then this (worldly) present life deceive you, nor let the chief deceiver (Satan) deceive you about Allâh.
34. Verily, Allâh! With Him (Alone) is the knowledge of the Hour, He sends down the rain, and knows that which is in the wombs. No person knows what he will earn tomorrow, and no person knows in what land he will die. Verily, Allâh is AllKnower, AllAware (of things).
YUSUFALI: Seest thou not that the ships sail through the ocean by the Grace of Allah?- that He may show you of His Signs? Verily in this are Signs for all who constantly persevere and give thanks.
PICKTHAL: Hast thou not seen how the ships glide on the sea by Allah's grace, that He may show you of His wonders? Lo! therein indeed are portents for every steadfast, grateful (heart).
SHAKIR: Do you not see that the ships run on in the sea by Allah's favor that He may show you of His signs? Most surely there are signs in this for every patient endurer, grateful one.
YUSUFALI: When a wave covers them like the canopy (of clouds), they call to Allah, offering Him sincere devotion. But when He has delivered them safely to land, there are among them those that halt between (right and wrong). But none reject Our Signs except only a perfidious ungrateful (wretch)!
PICKTHAL: And if a wave enshroudeth them like awnings, they cry unto Allah, making their faith pure for Him only. But when He bringeth them safe to land, some of them compromise. None denieth Our signs save every traitor ingrate.
SHAKIR: And when a wave like mountains covers them they call upon Allah, being sincere to Him in obedience, but when He brings them safe to the land, some of them follow the middle course; and none denies Our signs but every perfidious, ungrateful one.
YUSUFALI: O mankind! do your duty to your Lord, and fear (the coming of) a Day when no father can avail aught for his son, nor a son avail aught for his father. Verily, the promise of Allah is true: let not then this present life deceive you, nor let the chief Deceiver deceive you about Allah.
PICKTHAL: O mankind! Keep your duty to your Lord and fear a Day when the parent will not be able to avail the child in aught, nor the child to avail the parent. Lo! Allah's promise is the very truth. Let not the life of the world beguile you, nor let the deceiver beguile you, in regard to Allah.
SHAKIR: O people! guard against (the punishment of) your Lord and dread the day when a father shall not make any satisfaction for his son, nor shall the child be the maker of any satisfaction for his father; surely the promise of Allah is true, therefore let not this world's life deceive you, nor let the archdeceiver deceive you in respect of Allah.
YUSUFALI: Verily the knowledge of the Hour is with Allah (alone). It is He Who sends down rain, and He Who knows what is in the wombs. Nor does any one know what it is that he will earn on the morrow: Nor does any one know in what land he is to die. Verily with Allah is full knowledge and He is acquainted (with all things).
PICKTHAL: Lo! Allah! With Him is knowledge of the Hour. He sendeth down the rain, and knoweth that which is in the wombs. No soul knoweth what it will earn to-morrow, and no soul knoweth in what land it will die. Lo! Allah is Knower, Aware.
SHAKIR: Surely Allah is He with Whom is the knowledge of the hour, and He sends down the rain and He knows what is in the wombs; and no one knows what he shall earn on the morrow; and no one knows in what land he shall die; surely Allah is Knowing, Aware.