This Surah consists of 30 verses, 380 sentences, 1,518 letters and 3 Ruku's.
It has been entitled As-Sajdah after the theme of Sajdah (prostration) as expressed in verse 15.
From the style of the Surah it appears that it was sent down during the middle Makkah period, more particularly in its initial stage, for one does not find in its background that severity of the persecution and tyranny which one finds in the Surahs sent down in the later stages.
The main theme of the Surah is to remove the doubts of the people concerning Tauhid, the Hereafter and thc Prophethood, and to invite them to all these three realities. The disbelievers of Makkah, when they talked of the Holy Prophet in private, said to one another, "This person is forging strange things, sometimes he gives news of what will happen after death. He says: when you have become dust, you will be called to render your accounts, and there will be Hell and Heaven. Sometimes he says: these gods and goddesses and saints are nonentities: One God alone is the Deity. And sometimes he says: the discourses which I recite are not my own but Allah's Word. All these are strange things which he presents." The answer to these doubts and misgivings forms the theme and subject matter of this Surah.
In this connection, the disbelievers have been told: "Most certainly it is Allah's Word, which has been sent down in order to arouse a people who are sunk in heedlessness, being deprived of the bounties and blessings of Prophethood. How can you call it a fabrication when its having been sent dawn from Allah is manifest and self-evident?"
Then, they have been asked, "Use your common sense and judge for yourselves which of the things presented by the Quran is strange and novel? Look at the administration of the heavens and the earth: consider your own creation and structure. Don't these things testify to the teaching which this Prophet is presenting before you in the Quran? Does the system of the universe point to Tauhid or to shirk? When you consider this whole system and your own creation, does your intellect testify that the One Who has given you your present existence, will not be able to create you once again?"
Then a scene of the Hereafter has been depicted, the fruits of belief and the evil consequences of disbelief have heen mentioned and the people exhorted to give up disbelief even before they meet their doom and accept the teaching of the Quran, which will be to their own advantage in the Hereafter. Then they have been told: It is Allah's supreme Mercy that He does not seize man immediately for his errors to punish him finally and decisively but warns him beforehand by afflicting him with small troubles and hardships and calamities and losses and strokes of misfortune so that he may wake up and take admonition.
Then it is said: "This is not the first and novel event of its kind that a Book has been sent down upon a man from God. Before this the Book had been sent upon Moses also, which you all know. There is nothing strange in this at which you should marvel. Be assured that this Book has come down from God, and note it well that the same will happen now as has already happened in the time of Moses. Leadership now will be bestowed only on those who will accept this Divine Book. Those who reject it shall be doomed to failure."
Then the disbelievers of Makkah have been admonished to the effect: "See the end of the doomed communities of the past by whose ruined habitations you pass during your trade journeys. Will you like to meet the same doom yourself? Do not be deluded by the apparent and superficial. Today you see that no one is listening to Muhammad (upon whom be Allah's peace) except a few young men and some slaves and poor men, and he is being made the target of curses and ugly remarks from every side. From this you have formed the wrong impression that his mission will fail. But this is only a deception of your eyes. Don't you see the phenomenon in your daily life that a land previously lying absolutely barren starts swelling with vegetation and plant life everywhere just by a single shower of the rain though before this no one could ever imagine that under the layers of its soil there lay hidden such treasures of greenery and herbage?"
In conclusion, the Holy Prophet has been addressed to the effect: "These people mock at what you say and ask as to when you will attain this decisive victory. Tell them: when the time comes for the final judgement regarding you and us, believing then will not profit you at all. If you have to believe, believe now. But if you intend to await the final judgement, then await it as you please."
IMPORTANT: Please note that the Digest is based upon these outstanding translations and they have been reproduced here for the benefit of serious readers of the Quraan; the copyrights of these works are held by their respective authors/publishers from whom they can be purchased by anyone interested in acquiring them and we ardently hope that no offence will be taken by their inclusion.
Bismi Allahi alrrahmani alrraheemi
32 : 1
32 : 2
2. Tanzeelu alkitabi la rayba feehi min rabbi alAAalameena
The revelation of this Scripture, beyond any question of doubt, is from the Lord of the Worlds!
32 : 3
3. Am yaqooloona iftarahu bal huwa alhaqqu min rabbika litunthira qawman ma atahum min natheerin min qablika laAAallahum yahtadoona
Or say they : 'He has invented it?' Nay! It is the Truth from your Lord so that you may warn the people to whom a warner had not been sent before you in the hope that they may find the right path!
32 : 4
4. Allahu allathee khalaqa alssamawati waal-arda wama baynahuma fee sittati ayyamin thumma istawa AAala alAAarshi ma lakum min doonihi min waliyyin wala shafeeAAin afala tatathakkaroona
Allah it is who created the heavens and the earth and all that exists between them in six days and then He ascended His throne. You have no stalwart nor intercessor other than Him! Will you not be admonished, regardless?
32 : 5
5. Yudabbiru al-amra mina alssama-i ila al-ardi thumma yaAAruju ilayhi fee yawmin kana miqdaruhu alfa sanatin mimma taAAuddoona
He controls from heaven every event that transpires on earth and then everything will ascend back to Him on the Day which will last a thousand years as per your calculation!
32 : 6
6. Thalika AAalimu alghaybi waalshshahadati alAAazeezu alrraheemu
Such is He who knows that which is concealed as well as that which is revealed, - the Meritorious and the Munificent!
32 : 7
7. Allathee ahsana kulla shay-in khalaqahu wabadaa khalqa al-insani min teenin
Whatever He created, He created it par excellence, and He began the creation of man out of clay!
32 : 8
8. Thumma jaAAala naslahu min sulalatin min ma-in maheenin
Then He created his seed from a drop of debased fluid!
32 : 9
9. Thumma sawwahu wanafakha feehi min roohihi wajaAAala lakumu alssamAAa waal-absara waal-af-idata qaleelan ma tashkuroona
Then He moulded him into a discernible shape and breathed into him of His spirit; and He bestowed on you ears and eyes and hearts! Yet you begrudge Him your gratitude!
32 : 10
10. Waqaloo a-itha dalalna fee al-ardi a-inna lafee khalqin jadeedin bal hum biliqa-i rabbihim kafiroona
And they say : 'When we have mingled into dust, how can we then be re-created?' Nay! In truth, they are challenging their meeting with their Lord!
32 : 11
11. Qul yatawaffakum malaku almawti allathee wukkila bikum thumma ila rabbikum turjaAAoona
Say to them : 'The Angel of Death who has been assigned to you will gather your soul and then to your Lord is your returning! (R)
OTHER TRANSLATIONS BY MUHSIN, YUSUFALI, PICKTHAL AND SHAKIR:
[These letters are one of the miracles of the Qur'ān, and none but Allāh (Alone) knows their meanings.]
2. The revelation of the Book (this Qur'ān) is from the Lord of the 'Alamīn (mankind, jinns and all that exists) in which there is not doubt!
3. Or say they: "He (Muhammad SAW) has fabricated it?" Nay, it is the truth from your Lord, that you may warn a people to whom no warner has come before you (O Muhammad SAW), in order that they may be guided.
4. Allāh it is He Who has created the heavens and the earth, and all that is between them in six Days. Then He Istawā (rose over) the Throne (in a manner that suits His Majesty). You (mankind) have none, besides Him, as a Walī (protector or helper etc.) or an intercessor. Will you not then remember (or be admonished)?
5. He arranges (every) affair from the heavens to the earth, then it (affair) will go up to Him, in one Day, the space whereof is a thousand years of your reckoning (i.e. reckoning of our present world's time).
6. That is He, the AllKnower of the unseen and the seen, the AllMighty, the Most Merciful.
7. Who made everything He has created good, and He began the creation of man from clay.
8. Then He made his offspring from semen of worthless water (male and female sexual discharge).
9. Then He fashioned him in due proportion, and breathed into him the soul (created by Allāh for that person), and He gave you hearing (ears), sight (eyes) and hearts. Little is the thanks you give!
10. And they say: "When we are (dead and become) lost in the earth, shall we indeed be recreated anew?" Nay, but they deny the Meeting with their Lord!
11. Say: "The angel of death, who is set over you, will take your souls, then you shall be brought to your Lord."
YUSUFALI: A. L. M.
PICKTHAL: Alif. Lam. Mim
SHAKIR: Alif Lam Mim.
YUSUFALI: (This is) the Revelation of the Book in which there is no doubt,- from the Lord of the Worlds.
PICKTHAL: The revelation of the Scripture whereof there is no doubt is from the Lord of the Worlds.
SHAKIR: The revelation of the Book, there is no doubt in it, is from the Lord of the worlds.
YUSUFALI: Or do they say, "He has forged it"? Nay, it is the Truth from thy Lord, that thou mayest admonish a people to whom no warner has come before thee: in order that they may receive guidance.
PICKTHAL: Or say they: He hath invented it? Nay, but it is the Truth from thy Lord, that thou mayst warn a folk to whom no warner came before thee, that haply they may walk aright.
SHAKIR: Or do they say: He has forged it? Nay! it is the truth from your Lord that you may warn a people to whom no warner has come before you, that they may follow the right direction.
YUSUFALI: It is Allah Who has created the heavens and the earth, and all between them, in six Days, and is firmly established on the Throne (of Authority): ye have none, besides Him, to protect or intercede (for you): will ye not then receive admonition?
PICKTHAL: Allah it is Who created the heavens and the earth, and that which is between them, in six Days. Then He mounted the Throne. Ye have not, beside Him, a protecting friend or mediator. Will ye not then remember?
SHAKIR: Allah is He Who created the heavens and the earth and what is between them in six periods, and He mounted the throne (of authority); you have not besides Him any guardian or any intercessor, will you not then mind?
YUSUFALI: He rules (all) affairs from the heavens to the earth: in the end will (all affairs) go up to Him, on a Day, the space whereof will be (as) a thousand years of your reckoning.
PICKTHAL: He directeth the ordinance from the heaven unto the earth; then it ascendeth unto Him in a Day, whereof the measure is a thousand years of that ye reckon.
SHAKIR: He regulates the affair from the heaven to the earth; then shall it ascend to Him in a day the measure of which is a thousand years of what you count.
YUSUFALI: Such is He, the Knower of all things, hidden and open, the Exalted (in power), the Merciful;-
PICKTHAL: Such is the Knower of the Invisible and the Visible, the Mighty, the Merciful,
SHAKIR: This is the Knower of the unseen and the seen, the Mighty the Merciful,
YUSUFALI: He Who has made everything which He has created most good: He began the creation of man with (nothing more than) clay,
PICKTHAL: Who made all things good which He created, and He began the creation of man from clay;
SHAKIR: Who made good everything that He has created, and He began the creation of man from dust.
YUSUFALI: And made his progeny from a quintessence of the nature of a fluid despised:
PICKTHAL: Then He made his seed from a draught of despised fluid;
SHAKIR: Then He made his progeny of an extract, of water held in light estimation.
YUSUFALI: But He fashioned him in due proportion, and breathed into him something of His spirit. And He gave you (the faculties of) hearing and sight and feeling (and understanding): little thanks do ye give!
PICKTHAL: Then He fashioned him and breathed into him of His Spirit; and appointed for you hearing and sight and hearts. Small thanks give ye!
SHAKIR: Then He made him complete and breathed into him of His spirit, and made for you the ears and the eyes and the hearts; little is it that you give thanks.
YUSUFALI: And they say: "What! when we lie, hidden and lost, in the earth, shall we indeed be in a Creation renewed? Nay, they deny the Meeting with their Lord.
PICKTHAL: And they say: When we are lost in the earth, how can we then be re-created? Nay but they are disbelievers in the meeting with their Lord.
SHAKIR: And they say: What! when we have become lost in the earth, shall we then certainly be in a new creation? Nay! they are disbelievers in the meeting of their Lord.
YUSUFALI: Say: "The Angel of Death, put in charge of you, will (duly) take your souls: then shall ye be brought back to your Lord."
PICKTHAL: Say: The angel of death, who hath charge concerning you, will gather you, and afterward unto your Lord ye will be returned.
SHAKIR: Say: The angel of death who is given charge of you shall cause you to die, then to your Lord you shall be brought back.
32 : 12
12. Walaw tara ithi almujrimoona nakisoo ruoosihim AAinda rabbihim rabbana absarna wasamiAAna faarjiAAna naAAmal salihan inna mooqinoona
If only you could see the sinful when they stand before their Lord with their heads bowed and say : 'Our Lord! We have now seen and have heard! Send us back into the world so that we may perform good deeds, now that we believe in their outcome!
32 : 13
13. Walaw shi-na laatayna kulla nafsin hudaha walakin haqqa alqawlu minnee laamlaanna jahannama mina aljinnati waalnnasi ajmaAAeena
If We had so willed, We could have guided every individual soul. But My word about sinners has already taken effect that I will fill hell with the Jinn and mankind combined!
32 : 14
14. Fathooqoo bima naseetum liqaa yawmikum hatha inna naseenakum wathooqoo AAathaba alkhuldi bima kuntum taAAmaloona
Now taste the outcome of overlooking this day of attendance - we too overlooked you for a while - but now taste the flavour of everlasting torment in return for your evil deeds!
32 : 15
15. Innama yu/minu bi-ayatina allatheena itha thukkiroo biha kharroo sujjadan wasabbahoo bihamdi rabbihim wahum la yastakbiroona
They alone believe in Our revelations who, whenever they are recited to them, fall prostrate and hymn the praise of their Lord, - and are not scornful!
32 : 16
16. Tatajafa junoobuhum AAani almadajiAAi yadAAoona rabbahum khawfan watamaAAan wamimma razaqnahum yunfiqoona
Who forego the comforts of their beds and cry to their Lord, in fear and in hope, and who spend in charity some out of the provision which We have made for them!
32 : 17
17. Fala taAAlamu nafsun ma okhfiya lahum min qurrati aAAyunin jazaan bima kanoo yaAAmaloona
No soul can envision the extent of bliss which We have kept in store for them as a reward for their noble deeds!
* * *
Context of Revelation : The following verse was revealed when an argument broke out between the Prophet's cousin Ali and a disbeliever who claimed to be a better man than him. Ali responded by saying that, whatever be his qualities, he was a disbeliever and therefore can never be a better man than a believer!
32 : 18
18. Afaman kana mu/minan kaman kana fasiqan la yastawoona
Is he who is a believer the same as he who is a disbeliever? They are not alike!
* * *
32 : 19
19. Amma allatheena amanoo waAAamiloo alssalihati falahum jannatu alma/wa nuzulan bima kanoo yaAAmaloona
And as for those who believe and perform righteous deeds, there are Gardens of repose for them to dwell in and sumptuous hospitality as reward for their seemly deeds.
32 : 20
20. Waamma allatheena fasaqoo fama/wahumu alnnaru kullama aradoo an yakhrujoo minha oAAeedoo feeha waqeela lahum thooqoo AAathaba alnnari allathee kuntum bihi tukaththiboona
But as for those who perpetrate evil, their destination is the Fire; whenever they attempt to emerge from it, they are driven back into it! And it will be said to them : 'Taste the torment of fire which you used to refute!'
32 : 21
21. Walanutheeqannahum mina alAAathabi al-adna doona alAAathabi al-akbari laAAallahum yarjiAAoona
Verily We make them taste the lesser punishment before giving them the taste of the greater punishment so that they refrain from perpetrating evil!
32 : 22
22. Waman athlamu mimman thukkira bi-ayati rabbihi thumma aAArada AAanha inna mina almujrimeena muntaqimoona
Who commits a greater sin than him who has been admonished through the revelations of his Lord and yet turns his face away. Verily We shall avenge the insidious! (R)
OTHER TRANSLATIONS BY MUHSIN, YUSUFALI, PICKTHAL AND SHAKIR:
12. And if you only could see when the Mujrimūn (criminals, disbelievers, polytheists, sinners, etc.) shall hang their heads before their Lord (saying): "Our Lord! We have now seen and heard, so send us back (to the world), we will do righteous good deeds. Verily! We now believe with certainty."
13. And if We had willed, surely! We would have given every person his guidance, but the Word from Me took effect (about evildoers), that I will fill Hell with jinn and mankind together.
14. Then taste you (the torment of the Fire) because of your forgetting the Meeting of this Day of yours, (and) surely! We too will forget you, so taste you the abiding torment for what you used to do.
15. Only those believe in Our Ayāt (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.), who, when they are reminded of them fall down prostrate, and glorify the Praises of their Lord, and they are not proud.
16. Their sides forsake their beds, to invoke their Lord in fear and hope, and they spend (charity in Allāh's Cause) out of what We have bestowed on them.
17. No person knows what is kept hidden for them of joy as a reward for what they used to do.
18. Is then he who is a believer like him who is Fāsiq (disbeliever and disobedient to Allāh)? Not equal are they.
19. As for those who believe (in the Oneness of Allāh Islāmic Monotheism) and do righteous good deeds, for them are Gardens (Paradise) as an entertainment, for what they used to do.
20. And as for those who are Fāsiqūn (disbelievers and disobedient to Allāh), their abode will be the Fire, every time they wish to get away therefrom, they will be put back thereto, and it will be said to them: "Taste you the torment of the Fire which you used to deny."
21. And verily, We will make them taste of the near torment (i.e. the torment in the life of this world, i.e. disasters, calamities, etc.) prior to the supreme torment (in the Hereafter), in order that they may (repent and) return (i.e. accept Islām).
22. And who does more wrong than he who is reminded of the Ayāt (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.) of his Lord, then he turns aside therefrom? Verily, We shall exact retribution from the Mujrimūn (criminals, disbelievers, polytheists, sinners, etc.).
YUSUFALI: If only thou couldst see when the guilty ones will bend low their heads before their Lord, (saying:) "Our Lord! We have seen and we have heard: Now then send us back (to the world): we will work righteousness: for we do indeed (now) believe."
PICKTHAL: Couldst thou but see when the guilty hang their heads before their Lord, (and say): Our Lord! We have now seen and heard, so send us back; we will do right, now we are sure.
SHAKIR: And could you but see when the guilty shall hang down their heads before their Lord: Our Lord! we have seen and we have heard, therefore send us back, we will do good; surely (now) we are certain.
YUSUFALI: If We had so willed, We could certainly have brought every soul its true guidance: but the Word from Me will come true, "I will fill Hell with Jinns and men all together."
PICKTHAL: And if We had so willed, We could have given every soul its guidance, but the word from Me concerning evildoers took effect: that I will fill hell with the jinn and mankind together.
SHAKIR: And if We had pleased We would certainly have given to every soul its guidance, but the word (which had gone forth) from Me was just: I will certainly fill hell with the jinn and men together.
YUSUFALI: "Taste ye then - for ye forgot the Meeting of this Day of yours, and We too will forget you - taste ye the Penalty of Eternity for your (evil) deeds!"
PICKTHAL: So taste (the evil of your deeds). Forasmuch as ye forgot the meeting of this your day, lo! We forget you. Taste the doom of immortality because of what ye used to do.
SHAKIR: So taste, because you neglected the meeting of this day of yours; surely We forsake you; and taste the abiding chastisement for what you did.
YUSUFALI: Only those believe in Our Signs, who, when they are recited to them, fall down in prostration, and celebrate the praises of their Lord, nor are they (ever) puffed up with pride.
PICKTHAL: Only those believe in Our revelations who, when they are reminded of them, fall down prostrate and hymn the praise of their Lord, and they are not scornful,
SHAKIR: Only they believe in Our communications who, when they are reminded of them, fall down in prostration and celebrate the praise of their Lord, and they are not proud.
YUSUFALI: Their limbs do forsake their beds of sleep, the while they call on their Lord, in Fear and Hope: and they spend (in charity) out of the sustenance which We have bestowed on them.
PICKTHAL: Who forsake their beds to cry unto their Lord in fear and hope, and spend of that We have bestowed on them.
SHAKIR: Their sides draw away from (their) beds, they call upon their Lord in fear and in hope, and they spend (benevolently) out of what We have given them.
YUSUFALI: Now no person knows what delights of the eye are kept hidden (in reserve) for them - as a reward for their (good) deeds.
PICKTHAL: No soul knoweth what is kept hid for them of joy, as a reward for what they used to do.
SHAKIR: So no soul knows what is hidden for them of that which will refresh the eyes; a reward for what they did.
YUSUFALI: Is then the man who believes no better than the man who is rebellious and wicked? Not equal are they.
PICKTHAL: Is he who is a believer like unto him who is an evil-liver? They are not alike.
SHAKIR: Is he then who is a believer like him who is a transgressor? They are not equal.
YUSUFALI: For those who believe and do righteous deeds are Gardens as hospitable homes, for their (good) deeds.
PICKTHAL: But as for those who believe and do good works, for them are the Gardens of Retreat - a welcome (in reward) for what they used to do.
SHAKIR: As for those who believe and do good, the gardens are their abiding-place; an entertainment for what they did.
YUSUFALI: As to those who are rebellious and wicked, their abode will be the Fire: every time they wish to get away therefrom, they will be forced thereinto, and it will be said to them: "Taste ye the Penalty of the Fire, the which ye were wont to reject as false."
PICKTHAL: And as for those who do evil, their retreat is the Fire. Whenever they desire to issue forth from thence, they are brought back thither. Unto them it is said: Taste the torment of the Fire which ye used to deny.
SHAKIR: And as for those who transgress, their abode is the fire; whenever they desire to go forth from it they shall be brought back into it, and it will be said to them: Taste the chastisement of the fire which you called a lie.
YUSUFALI: And indeed We will make them taste of the Penalty of this (life) prior to the supreme Penalty, in order that they may (repent and) return.
PICKTHAL: And verily We make them taste the lower punishment before the greater, that haply they may return.
SHAKIR: And most certainly We will make them taste of the nearer chastisement before the greater chastisement that haply they may turn.
YUSUFALI: And who does more wrong than one to whom are recited the Signs of his Lord, and who then turns away therefrom? Verily from those who transgress We shall exact (due) Retribution.
PICKTHAL: And who doth greater wrong than he who is reminded of the revelations of his Lord, then turneth from them. Lo! We shall requite the guilty.
SHAKIR: And who is more unjust than he who is reminded of the communications of his Lord, then he turns away from them? Surely We will give punishment to the guilty.
32 : 23
23. Walaqad atayna moosa alkitaba fala takun fee miryatin min liqa-ihi wajaAAalnahu hudan libanee isra-eela
And verily We gave Moses the Scripture so be you not in doubt about his receiving it. And We appointed it a guidance for the Children of Israel!
32 : 24
24. WajaAAalna minhum a-immatan yahdoona bi-amrina lamma sabaroo wakanoo bi-ayatina yooqinoona
And when they demonstrated perseverance and a firm belief in Our revelations, We raised some of them to the ranks of leadership and allowed them to guide others by means of Our commandments.
32 : 25
25. Inna rabbaka huwa yafsilu baynahum yawma alqiyamati feema kanoo feehi yakhtalifoona
Verily your Lord will judge between them on the Day of Resurrection concerning matters over which they used to differ.
32 : 26
26. Awa lam yahdi lahum kam ahlakna min qablihim mina alqurooni yamshoona fee masakinihim inna fee thalika laayatin afala yasmaAAoona
Have they not drawn any lessons from treading upon the ruins of bygone dwellings as to how many a community did We destroy before them? Verily there are portents in this for them to learn, so will they not hear?
32 : 27
27. Awa lam yaraw anna nasooqu almaa ila al-ardi aljuruzi fanukhriju bihi zarAAan ta-kulu minhu anAAamuhum waanfusuhum afala yubsiroona
See they not how We direct the rainfall to a land that has parched and grow from it fresh crops so that their cattle can eat and they themselves too? Do they then reflect not?
32 : 28
28. Wayaqooloona mata hatha alfathu in kuntum sadiqeena
And they say : 'When will this Victory of yours materialize, if you speak the truth?'
32 : 29
29. Qul yawma alfathi la yanfaAAu allatheena kafaroo eemanuhum wala hum yuntharoona
Say to them : 'On the day of that Victory, a change of convictions in the disbelievers would not avail them nor would they be reprieved!'
32 : 30
30. FaaAArid AAanhum waintathir innahum muntathiroona
And so turn away from them (O Mohammed) and await its arrival! Verily they too must await it! (R)
OTHER TRANSLATIONS BY MUHSIN, YUSUFALI, PICKTHAL AND SHAKIR:
23. And indeed We gave Mūsa (Moses) the Scripture [the Taurāt (Torah)]. So be not you in doubt of meeting him [i.e.when you met Mūsa (Moses) during the night of AlIsra' and AlMi'rāj over the heavens]. And We made it [the Taurāt (Torah)] a guide to the Children of Israel.
24. And We made from among them (Children of Israel), leaders, giving guidance under Our Command, when they were patient and used to believe with certainty in Our Ayāt (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.).
25. Verily, your Lord will judge between them on the Day of Resurrection, concerning that wherein they used to differ.
26. Is it not a guidance for them, how many generations We have destroyed before them in whose dwellings they do walk about? Verily, therein indeed are signs. Would they not then listen?
27. Have they not seen how We drive water (rain clouds) to the dry land without any vegetation, and therewith bring forth crops providing food for their cattle and themselves? Will they not then see?
28. They say: "When will this AlFath (Decision) be (between us and you, i.e. the Day of Resurrection), if you are telling the truth?"
29. Say: "On the Day of AlFath (Decision), no profit will it be to those who disbelieve if they (then) believe! Nor will they be granted a respite."
YUSUFALI: We did indeed aforetime give the Book to Moses: be not then in doubt of its reaching (thee): and We made it a guide to the Children of Israel.
PICKTHAL: We verily gave Moses the Scripture; so be not ye in doubt of his receiving it; and We appointed it a guidance for the Children of Israel.
SHAKIR: And certainly We gave the Book to Musa, so be not in doubt concerning the receiving of it, and We made it a guide for the children of Israel.
YUSUFALI: And We appointed, from among them, leaders, giving guidance under Our command, so long as they persevered with patience and continued to have faith in Our Signs.
PICKTHAL: And when they became steadfast and believed firmly in Our revelations, We appointed from among them leaders who guided by Our command.
SHAKIR: And We made of them Imams to guide by Our command when they were patient, and they were certain of Our communications.
YUSUFALI: Verily thy Lord will judge between them on the Day of Judgment, in the matters wherein they differ (among themselves)
PICKTHAL: Lo! thy Lord will judge between them on the Day of Resurrection concerning that wherein they used to differ.
SHAKIR: Surely your Lord will judge between them on the day of resurrection concerning that wherein they differ.
YUSUFALI: Does it not teach them a lesson, how many generations We destroyed before them, in whose dwellings they (now) go to and fro? Verily in that are Signs: Do they not then listen?
PICKTHAL: Is it not a guidance for them (to observe) how many generations We destroyed before them, amid whose dwelling places they do walk? Lo! therein verily are portents! Will they not then heed?
SHAKIR: Does it not point out to them the right way, how many of the generations, in whose abodes they go about, did We destroy before them? Most surely there are signs in this; will they not then hear?
YUSUFALI: And do they not see that We do drive rain to parched soil (bare of herbage), and produce therewith crops, providing food for their cattle and themselves? Have they not the vision?
PICKTHAL: Have they not seen how We lead the water to the barren land and therewith bring forth crops whereof their cattle eat, and they themselves? Will they not then see?
SHAKIR: Do they not see that We drive the water to a land having no herbage, then We bring forth thereby seed-produce of which their cattle and they themselves eat; will they not then see?
YUSUFALI: They say: "When will this decision be, if ye are telling the truth?"
PICKTHAL: And they say: When cometh this victory (of yours) if ye are truthful?
SHAKIR: And they say: When will this judgment take place, If you are truthful?
YUSUFALI: Say: "On the Day of Decision, no profit will it be to Unbelievers if they (then) believe! nor will they be granted a respite."
PICKTHAL: Say (unto them): On the day of the victory the faith of those who disbelieve (and who then will believe) will not avail them, neither will they be reprieved.
SHAKIR: Say: On the day of judgment the faith of those who (now) disbelieve will not profit them, nor will they be respited.
YUSUFALI: So turn away from them, and wait: they too are waiting.
PICKTHAL: So withdraw from them (O Muhammad), and await (the event). Lo! they (also) are awaiting (it).
SHAKIR: Therefore turn away from them and wait, surely they too are waiting.