This Surah consists of 37 verses, 488 sentences, 2.191 letters and 4 Ruku's.
It is derived from the sentence wa tartt kullu ummat- in jathiyat-un of verse 28, implying thereby that it is the Surah in which the word jathiyah has occurred.
The period of the revelation of this Surah also has not been mentioned in any authentic tradition, but its subject matter clearly shows that it was revealed consecutively after Surah Ad Dukhan. The close resemblance between the contents of the two Surahs makes them look like the twin Surahs.
It answers the doubts and objections of the disbelievers of Makkah about Tauhid and the Hereafter and warns them for their attitude that they had adopted against the message of the Quran.
The discourse begins with the arguments for Tauhid. In this connection, reference has been made to the countless Signs that are found in the world, from man's own body to the earth and heavens, and it is pointed out that everywhere around him man finds things which testify to tauhid which he refuses to acknowledge. If man sees carefully the variety of animals, the day and night, the rainfall and the vegetation thereby, the winds and his own creation, and ponders over them intelligently, without prejudice, he will find these Signs sufficiently convincing of the truth that this universe is not Godless, nor under the control of many gods, but it has been created by One God, and He alone is its Controller and Ruler. However, the case of the person who is determined not to acknowledge and wants to remain involved in doubts and suspicions is different. He cannot be blessed with the faith and conviction from anywhere in the world.
A little below, in the beginning of the second section, it has been reiterated that the things man is exploiting in the world, and the countless forces and agencies that are serving his interests in the universe, did not come into being just accidentally, nor have they been provided by the gods and goddesses, but it is One God alone, Who has supplied and subjected these to him from Himself. If only a person uses his mind properly and rightly, his own intellect will proclaim that God alone is man's real Benefactor and He alone deserves that man should pay obeisance to Him.
After this, the disbelievers of Makkah have been taken to task and reproved for their stubbornness, arrogance, mockery and insistence on disbelief with which they were resisting the invitation of the Quran; they have been warned that this Quran has brought the same blessing which had been granted to the children of Israel before, by virtue of which they became distinguished above all the people of the world. Then, when they failed to recognize the true worth of this blessing and disputed their religion and lost it, this blessing now has been sent to them. This is such a code of guidance which shows the clear highway of Religion to man. The people who would turn it down by their own folly, would only prepare for their own doom, and only such people would become worthy of God's succour and mercy who would adopt obedience to it and lead a life of piety and righteousness.
In this connection, the followers of the Holy Prophet have been instructed that they should forbear and pardon the absurd and foolish behaviour towards them of the people fearless of God, for if they showed patience God Himself would deal with their opponents and would reward them for their fortitude.
Then, there is a criticism of the erroneous ideas that the disbelievers hold about the Hereafter. They said that life was only this worldly life there was no life hereafter. Man dies in the course of time just as a watch stops functioning suddenly. The body is not survived by any soul, which might be seized and then breathed again into the human body some time in the future. In this regard, they challenged the Holy Prophet, saying: "If you lay a claim to this, then raise our dead forefathers back to life." In answer to this, Allah has given the following arguments
1. "You do not say this on the basis of any knowledge but are uttering this grave thing on the basis of conjecture. Do you really have the knowledge that there is no other life after death, and the souls are not seized but are annihilated?"
2. "Your claim rests mainly on this: that you have not seen any dead person rising back to life and returning to the world. Is this basis strong enough for a person to make a claim that the dead people will never rise to life?When you do not experience and observe a thing, does it mean that you have the knowledge that it does not exist at all?
3. It is utterly against reason and justice that the good and the bad, the obedient and the disobedient, the oppressor and the oppressed, should be made equal ultimately. Neither a good act should bear a good result nor an evil act an evil result; neither the grievances of the oppressed be redressed nor the oppressor be punished, but everyone should meet with the same fate ultimately. Whoever has formed this view about the universe of God, has formed a patently wrong view. The unjust and wicked people adopt this view because they do not want to face the evil results of their deeds, but this world of God is not a lawless kingdom; it is rather a system based on the Truth, in which there can be no question of the injustice of regarding the good and the bad as equal.
4. That the creed of the denial of the Hereafter is highly destructive of morals. This is adopted only by such people as are the slaves of their lusts, and for the reason that they should have full freedom to serve their lusts. Then, when they have adopted this creed, it goes on making them more and more perverse till at last their moral sense becomes dead and all avenues of guidance are closed against them.
After giving these arguments Allah says most emphatically: "Just as you did not become living of your own accord, but became living by Our power, so you do not die of your own accord, but die when We send death on you. And a time is certainly coming when you will all be gathered together. If you do not believe in this because of your ignorance and folly today, you may not; when the time arrives, you will see for yourself that you are present before your God and your whole book of conduct is ready accurately, which bears evidence against each of your misdeeds. Then you will come to know how dearly has your denial of the Hereafter and your mockery of it cost you."
IMPORTANT: Please note that the Digest is based upon these outstanding translations and they have been reproduced here for the benefit of serious readers of the Quraan; the copyrights of these works are held by their respective authors/publishers from whom they can be purchased by anyone interested in acquiring them and we ardently hope that no offence will be taken by their inclusion.
Bismi Allahi alrrahmani alrraheemi
45 : 1
45 : 2
2. Tanzeelu alkitabi mina Allahi alAAazeezi alhakeemi
The revelation of this Scripture is from Allah, the Meritorious, the Sagacious.
45 : 3
3. Inna fee alssamawati waal-ardi laayatin lilmu/mineena
Verily in the heavens and the earth there are portents for those who believe!
45 : 4
4. Wafee khalqikum wama yabuththu min dabbatin ayatun liqawmin yooqinoona
And in the creation of you and of all the multifarious beasts whom He has scattered upon the earth, there are further portents for those who are firm in faith.
45 : 5
5. Waikhtilafi allayli waalnnahari wama anzala Allahu mina alssama-i min rizqin faahya bihi al-arda baAAda mawtiha watasreefi alrriyahi ayatun liqawmin yaAAqiloona
And in the osmosis of days and nights, and in the provision that Allah sends down from the sky in order to revive the earth after her demise, and in the gyration of the winds, there are further portents for those who are sound in reasoning
45 : 6
6. Tilka ayatu Allahi natlooha AAalayka bialhaqqi fabi-ayyi hadeethin baAAda Allahi waayatihi yu/minoona
These are the portents of Allah which We recite to you (O Mohammed) with truth! Then, leaving aside Allah and His portents, what else is it that they believe in?
45 : 7
7. Waylun likulli affakin atheemin
Damnation upon the mendacious and the sinful -
45 : 8
8. YasmaAAu ayati Allahi tutla AAalayhi thumma yusirru mustakbiran kaan lam yasmaAAha fabashshirhu biAAathabin aleemin
Who hear the revelations of Allah when they are recited to them and yet persist with their conceit as though they had never heard them! Give him tidings of a dreadful punishment!
45 : 9
9. Wa-itha AAalima min ayatina shay-an ittakhathaha huzuwan ola-ika lahum AAathabun muheenun
And when he learns anything about Our revelations, he treats them as if they were a joke! For such of them awaits an opprobrious stricture!
45 : 10
10. Min wara-ihim jahannamu wala yughnee AAanhum ma kasaboo shay-an wala ma ittakhathoo min dooni Allahi awliyaa walahum AAathabun AAatheemun
Their ultimate resort is Hell! And that which they earned in this life will avail them none, nor those whom they worshipped in the place of Allah! Theirs is an astringent stricture!
45 : 11
11. Hatha hudan waallatheena kafaroo bi-ayati rabbihim lahum AAathabun min rijzin aleemin
This is their guidance! And for those who vituperate the revelations of their Lord, theirs is an opprobrious stricture of sheer ire! (R)
OTHER TRANSLATIONS BY MUHSIN, YUSUFALI, PICKTHAL AND SHAKIR:
[These letters are one of the miracles of the Qur'ān and none but Allāh (Alone) knows their meanings].
2. The revelation of the Book (this Qur'ān) is from Allāh, the All-Mighty, the All-Wise.
3. Verily, in the heavens and the earth are signs for the believers.
4. And in your creation, and what He scattered (through the earth) of moving (living) creatures are signs for people who have Faith with certainty.
5. And in the alternation of night and day, and the provision (rain) that Allāh sends down from the sky, and revives therewith the earth after its death, and in the turning about of the winds (i.e. sometimes towards the east or north, and sometimes towards the south or west etc., sometimes bringing glad tidings of rain etc., and sometimes bringing the torment), are signs for a people who understand.
6. These are the Ayāt (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, revelations, etc.) of Allāh, which We recite to you (O Muhammad SAW) with truth. Then in which speech after Allāh and His Ayāt will they believe?
7. Woe to every sinful liar,
8. Who hears the Verses of Allāh (being) recited to him, yet persists with pride as if he heard them not. So announce to him a painful torment!
9. And when he learns something of Our Verses (this Qur'ān), he makes them a jest. For such there will be a humiliating torment.
10. In front of them there is Hell, and that which they have earned will be of no profit to them, nor (will be of any profit to them) those whom they have taken as Auliyā' (protectors, helpers, etc.) besides Allāh. And theirs will be a great torment.
11. This (Qur'ān) is a guidance. And those who disbelieve in the Ayāt (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.) of their Lord, for them there is a painful torment of Rijz (a severe kind of punishment).
PICKTHAL: Ha. Mim.
SHAKIR: Ha Mim.
YUSUFALI: The revelation of the Book is from Allah the Exalted in Power, Full of Wisdom.
PICKTHAL: The revelation of the Scripture is from Allah, the Mighty, the Wise.
SHAKIR: The revelation of the Book is from Allah, the Mighty, the Wise.
YUSUFALI: Verily in the heavens and the earth, are Signs for those who believe.
PICKTHAL: Lo! in the heavens and the earth are portents for believers.
SHAKIR: Most surely in the heavens and the earth there are signs for the believers.
YUSUFALI: And in the creation of yourselves and the fact that animals are scattered (through the earth), are Signs for those of assured Faith.
PICKTHAL: And in your creation, and all the beasts that He scattereth in the earth, are portents for a folk whose faith is sure.
SHAKIR: And in your (own) creation and in what He spreads abroad of animals there are signs for a people that are sure;
YUSUFALI: And in the alternation of Night and Day, and the fact that Allah sends down Sustenance from the sky, and revives therewith the earth after its death, and in the change of the winds,- are Signs for those that are wise.
PICKTHAL: And the difference of night and day and the provision that Allah sendeth down from the sky and thereby quickeneth the earth after her death, and the ordering of the winds, are portents for a people who have sense.
SHAKIR: And (in) the variation of the night and the day, and (in) what Allah sends down of sustenance from the cloud, then gives life thereby to the earth after its death, and (in) the changing of the winds, there are signs for a people who understand.
YUSUFALI: Such are the Signs of Allah, which We rehearse to thee in Truth; then in what exposition will they believe after (rejecting) Allah and His Signs?
PICKTHAL: These are the portents of Allah which We recite unto thee (Muhammad) with truth. Then in what fact, after Allah and His portents, will they believe?
SHAKIR: These are the communications of Allah which We recite to you with truth; then in what announcement would they believe after Allah and His communications?
YUSUFALI: Woe to each sinful dealer in Falsehoods:
PICKTHAL: Woe unto each sinful liar,
SHAKIR: Woe to every sinful liar,
YUSUFALI: He hears the Signs of Allah rehearsed to him, yet is obstinate and lofty, as if he had not heard them: then announce to him a Penalty Grievous!
PICKTHAL: Who heareth the revelations of Allah recited unto him, and then continueth in pride as though he heard them not. Give him tidings of a painful doom.
SHAKIR: Who hears the communications of Allah recited to him, then persists proudly as though he had not heard them; so announce to him a painful punishment.
YUSUFALI: And when he learns something of Our Signs, he takes them in jest: for such there will be a humiliating Penalty.
PICKTHAL: And when he knoweth aught of Our revelations he maketh it a jest. For such there is a shameful doom.
SHAKIR: And when he comes to know of any of Our communications, he takes it for a jest; these it is that shall have abasing chastisement.
YUSUFALI: In front of them is Hell: and of no profit to them is anything they may have earned, nor any protectors they may have taken to themselves besides Allah: for them is a tremendous Penalty.
PICKTHAL: Beyond them there is hell, and that which they have earned will naught avail them, nor those whom they have chosen for protecting friends beside Allah. Theirs will be an awful doom.
SHAKIR: Before them is hell, and there shall not avail them aught of what they earned, nor those whom they took for guardians besides Allah, and they shall have a grievous punishment.
YUSUFALI: This is (true) Guidance and for those who reject the Signs of their Lord, is a grievous Penalty of abomination.
PICKTHAL: This is guidance. And those who disbelieve the revelations of their Lord, for them there is a painful doom of wrath.
SHAKIR: This is guidance; and (as for) those who disbelieve in the communications of their Lord, they shall have a painful punishment on account of uncleanness.
12. Allahu allathee sakhkhara lakumu albahra litajriya alfulku feehi bi-amrihi walitabtaghoo min fadlihi walaAAallakum tashkuroona
Allah it is Who has made the oceans of use to you so that the ships may sail on them by His command and so that you may seek of His benefactions and so that you may tender your gratitude to Him!
45 : 13
13. Wasakhkhara lakum ma fee alssamawati wama fee al-ardi jameeAAan minhu inna fee thalika laayatin liqawmin yatafakkaroona
And has made useful to you whatever is there in the heavens and whatever is there upon the earth - all from Him! There are portents in this for those who introspect!
* * *
Context of Revelation : The following verses were revealed when a close associate of the Prophet, known to be short of temper and swift in response, set out with his sword drawn to deal with a member of the community who had uttered unbecoming words about the Prophet and his adherents.
45 : 14
14. Qul lillatheena amanoo yaghfiroo lillatheena la yarjoona ayyama Allahi liyajziya qawman bima kanoo yaksiboona
Tell those who believe to forgive those who do not look forward to the Days of Allah! It is up to Him to requite people for what they earned.
45 : 15
15. Man AAamila salihan falinafsihi waman asaa faAAalayha thumma ila rabbikum turjaAAoona
Whoever does good, he does it for the good of his own soul and whoever does wrong, he does so to its detriment! Then you will ultimately be returned to your Lord!
* * *
45 : 16
16. Walaqad atayna banee isra-eela alkitaba waalhukma waalnnubuwwata warazaqnahum mina alttayyibati wafaddalnahum AAala alAAalameena
Before this, We gave the Children of Israel the Scripture and the Command and the Prophethood and made for them a clean provision and exalted them above others -
45 : 17
17. Waataynahum bayyinatin mina al-amri fama ikhtalafoo illa min baAAdi ma jaahumu alAAilmu baghyan baynahum inna rabbaka yaqdee baynahum yawma alqiyamati feema kanoo feehi yakhtalifoona
And gave them clear Commandments about their future recourse. It was only after knowledge had come to them that they broke into factions, through mutual rivalries. Your Lord will adjudicated between them on the Day of Resurrection on all matters over which they used to disagree.
45 : 18
18. Thumma jaAAalnaka AAala shareeAAatin mina al-amri faittabiAAha wala tattabiAA ahwaa allatheena la yaAAlamoona
And now have We set you (O Mohammed) on the same course, so adhere to it and follow not the whims of those who are devoid of knowledge.
45 : 19
19. Innahum lan yughnoo AAanka mina Allahi shay-an wa-inna alththalimeena baAAduhum awliyao baAAdin waAllahu waliyyu almuttaqeena
Verily they will avail you not against Allah! And verily these reprobates are friends of one another whereas Allah is the friend of all those who act righteously.
45 : 20
20. Hatha basa-iru lilnnasi wahudan warahmatun liqawmin yooqinoona
This Qur'aan is an eye-opener for all mankind and a guidance and a mercy for those who believe!
* * *
Context of Revelation : The following verse was revealed as a rebuff to the idolaters of Mecca who claimed that, even if the hypothesis of Resurrection and Judgement turned out to be true, they would still remain superior to the believers in the Hereafter as they have been in the life of this world.
45 : 21
21. Am hasiba allatheena ijtarahoo alssayyi-ati an najAAalahum kaallatheena amanoo waAAamiloo alssalihati sawaan mahyahum wamamatuhum saa ma yahkumoona
Do those who perpetrate evil suppose that We shall treat them the same as those who believe and perform righteous deeds so that they become their equals in life as well as in death? How unworthy a supposition! (R)
OTHER TRANSLATIONS BY MUHSIN, YUSUFALI, PICKTHAL AND SHAKIR:
12. Allāh it is He Who has subjected to you the sea, that ships may sail through it by His Command, and that you may seek of His Bounty, and that you may be thankful,
13. And has subjected to you all that is in the heavens and all that is in the earth; it is all as a favour and kindness from Him. Verily, in it are signs for a people who think deeply.
14. Say (O Muhammad SAW) to the believers to forgive those who (harm them and) hope not for the Days of Allāh (i.e. His Recompense), that He may recompense people according to what they have earned (i.e. to punish these disbelievers, who harm the believers).
15. Whosoever does a good deed, it is for his ownself, and whosoever does evil, it is against (his ownself). Then to your Lord you will be made to return.
16. And indeed We gave the Children of Israel the Scripture, and the understanding of the Scripture and its laws, and the Prophethood; and provided them with good things, and preferred them above the 'Alamīn (mankind and jinns) (of their time, during that period),
17. And gave them clear proofs in matters [by revealing to them the Taurāt (Torah)]. And they differed not until after the knowledge came to them, through envy among themselves. Verily, Your Lord will judge between them on the Day of Resurrection about that wherein they used to differ.
18. Then We have put you (O Muhammad SAW) on a plain way of (Our) commandment [like the one which We commanded Our Messengers before you (i.e. legal ways and laws of the Islāmic Monotheism)]. So follow you that (Islāmic Monotheism and its laws), and follow not the desires of those who know not. [Tafsir At-Tabarī Vol. 25, Page 146].
19. Verily, they can avail you nothing against Allāh (if He wants to punish you). Verily, the Zālimūn (polytheists, wrong-doers, etc.) are Auliyā' (protectors, helpers, etc.) to one another, but Allāh is the Walī (Helper, Protector, etc.) of the Muttaqūn (pious - see V.2:2).
20. This (Qur'ān) is a clear insight and evidence for mankind, and a guidance and a mercy for people who have Faith with certainty .
21. Or do those who earn evil deeds think that We shall hold them equal with those who believe (in the Oneness of Allāh Islāmic Monotheism) and do righteous good deeds, in their present life and after their death? Worst is the judgement that they make.
YUSUFALI: It is Allah Who has subjected the sea to you, that ships may sail through it by His command, that ye may seek of his Bounty, and that ye may be grateful.
PICKTHAL: Allah it is Who hath made the sea of service unto you that the ships may run thereon by His command, and that ye may seek of His bounty, and that haply ye may be thankful;
SHAKIR: Allah is He Who made subservient to you the sea that the ships may run therein by His command, and that you may seek of His grace, and that you may give thanks.
YUSUFALI: And He has subjected to you, as from Him, all that is in the heavens and on earth: Behold, in that are Signs indeed for those who reflect.
PICKTHAL: And hath made of service unto you whatsoever is in the heavens and whatsoever is in the earth; it is all from Him. Lo! herein verily are portents for a people who reflect.
SHAKIR: And He has made subservient to you whatsoever is in the heavens and whatsoever is in the earth, all, from Himself; most surely there are signs in this for a people who reflect.
YUSUFALI: Tell those who believe, to forgive those who do not look forward to the Days of Allah: It is for Him to recompense (for good or ill) each People according to what they have earned.
PICKTHAL: Tell those who believe to forgive those who hope not for the days of Allah; in order that He may requite folk what they used to earn.
SHAKIR: Say to those who believe (that) they forgive those who do not fear the days of Allah that He may reward a people for what they earn.
YUSUFALI: If any one does a righteous deed, it ensures to the benefit of his own soul; if he does evil, it works against (his own soul). In the end will ye (all) be brought back to your Lord.
PICKTHAL: Whoso doeth right, it is for his soul, and whoso doeth wrong, it is against it. And afterward unto your Lord ye will be brought back.
SHAKIR: Whoever does good, it is for his own soul, and whoever does evil, it is against himself; then you shall be brought back to your-- Lord.
YUSUFALI: We did aforetime grant to the Children of Israel the Book the Power of Command, and Prophethood; We gave them, for Sustenance, things good and pure; and We favoured them above the nations.
PICKTHAL: And verily we gave the Children of Israel the Scripture and the Command and the Prophethood, and provided them with good things and favoured them above (all) peoples;
SHAKIR: And certainly We gave the Book and the wisdom and the prophecy to the children of Israel, and We gave them of the goodly things, and We made them excel the nations.
YUSUFALI: And We granted them Clear Signs in affairs (of Religion): it was only after knowledge had been granted to them that they fell into schisms, through insolent envy among themselves. Verily thy Lord will judge between them on the Day of Judgment as to those matters in which they set up differences.
PICKTHAL: And gave them plain commandments. And they differed not until after the knowledge came unto them, through rivalry among themselves. Lo! thy Lord will judge between them on the Day of Resurrection concerning that wherein they used to differ.
SHAKIR: And We gave them clear arguments in the affair, but they did not differ until after knowledge had come to them out of envy among themselves; surely your -Lord will judge between them on the day of resurrection concerning that wherein they differed.
YUSUFALI: Then We put thee on the (right) Way of Religion: so follow thou that (Way), and follow not the desires of those who know not.
PICKTHAL: And now have We set thee (O Muhammad) on a clear road of (Our) commandment; so follow it, and follow not the whims of those who know not.
SHAKIR: Then We have made you follow a course in the affair, therefore follow it, and do not follow the low desires of those who do not know.
YUSUFALI: They will be of no use to thee in the sight of Allah: it is only Wrong-doers (that stand as) protectors, one to another: but Allah is the Protector of the Righteous.
PICKTHAL: Lo! they can avail thee naught against Allah. And lo! as for the wrong-doers, some of them are friends of others; and Allah is the Friend of those who ward off (evil).
SHAKIR: Surely they shall not avail you in the least against Allah; and surely the unjust are friends of each other, and Allah is the guardian of those who guard (against evil).
YUSUFALI: These are clear evidences to men and a Guidance and Mercy to those of assured Faith.
PICKTHAL: This is clear indication for mankind, and a guidance and a mercy for a folk whose faith is sure.
SHAKIR: These are clear proofs for men, and a guidance and a mercy for a people who are sure.
YUSUFALI: What! Do those who seek after evil ways think that We shall hold them equal with those who believe and do righteous deeds,- that equal will be their life and their death? Ill is the judgment that they make.
PICKTHAL: Or do those who commit ill-deeds suppose that We shall make them as those who believe and do good works, the same in life and death? Bad is their judgment!
SHAKIR: Nay! do those who have wrought evil deeds think that We will make them like those who believe and do good-- that their life and their death shall be equal? Evil it is that they judge.
45 : 22
22. Wakhalaqa Allahu alssamawati waal-arda bialhaqqi walitujza kullu nafsin bima kasabat wahum la yuthlamoona
And Allah has created the heavens and the earth with truth so that every soul is requited for every one of its deeds and no one is wronged!
45 : 23
23. Afaraayta mani ittakhatha ilahahu hawahu waadallahu Allahu AAala AAilmin wakhatama AAala samAAihi waqalbihi wajaAAala AAala basarihi ghishawatan faman yahdeehi min baAAdi Allahi afala tathakkaroona
Have you seen him who has turned his desire into his deity? Allah deliberately sends him astray and seals up his hearing and his heart and draws a blindfold over his eyes! Then who will guide him whom Allah has thus recanted? Will you not pay heed?
45 : 24
24. Waqaloo ma hiya illa hayatuna alddunya namootu wanahya wama yuhlikuna illa alddahru wama lahum bithalika min AAilmin in hum illa yathunnoona
They say : 'There is nothing real for us save the life of this world, - some die and some live! And nothing destroys us save passage of time!' They have no knowledge of their own about any of this, so they merely guess.
45 : 25
25. Wa-itha tutla AAalayhim ayatuna bayyinatin ma kana hujjatahum illa an qaloo i/too bi-aba-ina in kuntum sadiqeena
And whenever our crystalline revelations are recited to them, they resort to the only argument saying : 'Bring back our forefathers from the dead, if you are truthful!'
45 : 26
26. Quli Allahu yuhyeekum thumma yumeetukum thumma yajmaAAukum ila yawmi alqiyamati la rayba feehi walakinna akthara alnnasi la yaAAlamoona
Say to them (O Mohammed) : 'Allah gives you life and then He will cause you to die and then gathers you together on the Day of Resurrection about which there is no doubt!' But most of mankind know this not! (R)
OTHER TRANSLATIONS BY MUHSIN, YUSUFALI, PICKTHAL AND SHAKIR:
22. And Allāh has created the heavens and the earth with truth, in order that each person may be recompensed what he has earned, and they will not be wronged .
23. Have you seen him who takes his own lust (vain desires) as his ilāh (god), and Allāh knowing (him as such), left him astray, and sealed his hearing and his heart, and put a cover on his sight. Who then will guide him after Allāh? Will you not then remember?
24. And they say: "There is nothing but our life of this world, we die and we live and nothing destroys us except Ad-Dahr (the time). And they have no knowledge of it, they only conjecture.
25. And when Our Clear Verses are recited to them, their argument is no other than that they say: "Bring back our (dead) fathers, if you are truthful!"
26. Say (to them): "Allāh gives you life, then causes you to die, then He will assemble you on the Day of Resurrection about which there is no doubt. But most of mankind know not."
YUSUFALI: Allah created the heavens and the earth for just ends, and in order that each soul may find the recompense of what it has earned, and none of them be wronged.
PICKTHAL: And Allah hath created the heavens and the earth with truth, and that every soul may be repaid what it hath earned. And they will not be wronged.
SHAKIR: And Allah created the heavens and the earth with truth and that every soul may be rewarded for what it has earned and they shall not be wronged.
YUSUFALI: Then seest thou such a one as takes as his god his own vain desire? Allah has, knowing (him as such), left him astray, and sealed his hearing and his heart (and understanding), and put a cover on his sight. Who, then, will guide him after Allah (has withdrawn Guidance)? Will ye not then receive admonition?
PICKTHAL: Hast thou seen him who maketh his desire his god, and Allah sendeth him astray purposely, and sealeth up his hearing and his heart, and setteth on his sight a covering? Then who will lead him after Allah (hath condemned him)? Will ye not then heed?
SHAKIR: Have you then considered him who takes his low desire for his god, and Allah has made him err having knowledge and has set a seal upon his ear and his heart and put a covering upon his eye. Who can then guide him after Allah? Will you not then be mindful?
YUSUFALI: And they say: "What is there but our life in this world? We shall die and we live, and nothing but time can destroy us." But of that they have no knowledge: they merely conjecture:
PICKTHAL: And they say: There is naught but our life of the world; we die and we live, and naught destroyeth us save time; when they have no knowledge whatsoever of (all) that; they do but guess.
SHAKIR: And they say: There is nothing but our life in this world; we live and die and nothing destroys us but time, and they have no knowledge of that; they only conjecture.
YUSUFALI: And when Our Clear Signs are rehearsed to them their argument is nothing but this: They say, "Bring (back) our forefathers, if what ye say is true!"
PICKTHAL: And when Our clear revelations are recited unto them their only argument is that they say: Bring (back) our fathers. then, if ye are truthful.
SHAKIR: And when Our clear communications are recited to them, their argument is no other than that they say: Bring our fathers (back) if you are truthful.
YUSUFALI: Say: "It is Allah Who gives you life, then gives you death; then He will gather you together for the Day of Judgment about which there is no doubt": But most men do not understand.
PICKTHAL: Say (unto them, O Muhammad): Allah giveth life to you, then causeth you to die, then gathereth you unto the Day of Resurrection whereof there is no doubt. But most of mankind know not.
SHAKIR: Say: Allah gives you life, then He makes you die, then will He gather you to the day of resurrection wherein is no doubt, but most people do not know.
45 : 27
27. Walillahi mulku alssamawati waal-ardi wayawma taqoomu alssaAAatu yawma-ithin yakhsaru almubtiloona
To Allah belongs the kingdom of the heavens and of the earth, and on the Day when the Hour culminates, those who pursue falsehood will be the forfeited.
45 : 28
28. Watara kulla ommatin jathiyatan kullu ommatin tudAAa ila kitabiha alyawma tujzawna ma kuntum taAAmaloona
You will see each nation crouch upon their knees; and as each nation is summoned towards its record of performance, (it will be said to them) : 'This is the Day when you will be requited for all that you did!'
45 : 29
29. Hatha kitabuna yantiqu AAalaykum bialhaqqi inna kunna nastansikhu ma kuntum taAAmaloona
This is the Roster which reveals the truth about you, for We had been recording in it all that which you used to do!
45 : 30
30. Faamma allatheena amanoo waAAamiloo alssalihati fayudkhiluhum rabbuhum fee rahmatihi thalika huwa alfawzu almubeenu
As for those who believed and performed righteous deeds, their Lord will take them into the wings of His mercy, which by itself is a distinct triumph;
45 : 31
31. Waamma allatheena kafaroo afalam takun ayatee tutla AAalaykum faistakbartum wakuntum qawman mujrimeena
But as for those who disbelieved (it will be said to them) : 'Was it not the case that when Our revelations were recited to you, you spurned them and thereby became a guilty folk?'
45 : 32
32. Wa-itha qeela inna waAAda Allahi haqqun waalssaAAatu la rayba feeha qultum ma nadree ma alssaAAatu in nathunnu illa thannan wama nahnu bimustayqineena
And when it was said to you : 'Allah's promise will come true and there is no doubt about the culmination of the Hour!' you said : 'We know not what the Hour is! We think it is merely a hypothesis and are not at all convinced about it!'
45 : 33
33. Wabada lahum sayyi-atu ma AAamiloo wahaqa bihim ma kanoo bihi yastahzi-oona
The evil begotten by their evil deeds will make itself manifest to them and the castigation at which they used to scoff will engulf them!
45 : 34
34. Waqeela alyawma nansakum kama naseetum liqaa yawmikum hatha wama/wakumu alnnaru wama lakum min nasireena
And it will be said to them : 'On this Day We will ignore you in the same way as you used to ignore this tryst on this day. Your destination is the Fire and you have no one to look up to!
45 : 35
35. Thalikum bi-annakumu ittakhathtum ayati Allahi huzuwan wagharratkumu alhayatu alddunya faalyawma la yukhrajoona minha wala hum yustaAAtaboona
This is so because you slighted the revelations of Allah and allowed yourselves to be allured by the life of this world. Therefore this Day they will neither be discharged from hell nor will they be condoned!
45 : 36
36. Falillahi alhamdu rabbi alssamawati warabbi al-ardi rabbi alAAalameena
So praise be to Allah, Lord of the heavens and Lord of the earth and Lord of the Worlds!
45 : 37
37. Walahu alkibriyao fee alssamawati waal-ardi wahuwa alAAazeezu alhakeemu
He is the Greatest in the heavens and the earth and He is the Meritorious, the Sagacious! (R)
OTHER TRANSLATIONS BY MUHSIN, YUSUFALI, PICKTHAL AND SHAKIR:
27. And to Allāh belongs the kingdom of the heavens and the earth. And on the Day that the Hour will be established, on that Day the followers of falsehood (polytheists, disbelievers, worshippers of false deities, etc.) shall lose (everything).
28. And you will see each nation humbled to their knees (kneeling), each nation will be called to its Record (of deeds). This Day you shall be recompensed for what you used to do.
29. This Our Record speaks about you with truth. Verily, We were recording what you used to do (i.e. Our angels used to record your deeds).
30. Then, as for those who believed (in the Oneness of Allāh Islāmic Monotheism) and did righteous good deeds, their Lord will admit them to His Mercy. That will be the evident success.
31. But as for those who disbelieved (it will be said to them): "Were not Our Verses recited to you? But you were proud, and you were a people who were Mujrimūn (polytheists, disbelievers, sinners, criminals)."
32. And when it was said: "Verily! Allāh's Promise is the truth, and there is no doubt about the coming of the Hour," you said; "We know not what is the Hour, we do not think it but as a conjecture, and we have no firm convincing belief (therein)."
33. And the evil of what they did will appear to them, and they will be completely encircled by that which they used to mock at!
34. And it will be said: "This Day We will forget you as you forgot the Meeting of this Day of yours. And your abode is the Fire, and there is none to help you."
35. This, because you took the revelations of Allāh (this Qur'ān) in mockery, and the life of the world deceived you. So this Day, they shall not be taken out from there (Hell), nor shall they be Yustā'tabūn (i.e. they shall not return to the worldly life, so that they repent to Allāh, and beg His Pardon for their sins).
36. So all the praises and thanks are to Allāh, the Lord of the heavens and the Lord of the earth, and the Lord of the 'Alamīn (mankind, jinns and all that exists).
37. And His (Alone) is the Majesty in the heavens and the earth, and He is the All-Mighty, the All-Wise.
YUSUFALI: To Allah belongs the dominion of the heavens and the earth, and the Day that the Hour of Judgment is established,- that Day will the dealers in Falsehood perish!
PICKTHAL: And unto Allah belongeth the Sovereignty of the heavens and the earth; and on the day when the Hour riseth, on that day those who follow falsehood will be lost.
SHAKIR: And Allah's is the kingdom of the heavens and the earth; and on the day when the hour shall come to pass, on that day shall they perish who say false things.
YUSUFALI: And thou wilt see every sect bowing the knee: Every sect will be called to its Record: "This Day shall ye be recompensed for all that ye did!
PICKTHAL: And thou wilt see each nation crouching, each nation summoned to its record. (And it will be said unto them): This day ye are requited what ye used to do.
SHAKIR: And you shall see every nation kneeling down; every nation shall be called to its book: today you shall be rewarded for what you did.
YUSUFALI: "This Our Record speaks about you with truth: For We were wont to put on Record all that ye did."
PICKTHAL: This Our Book pronounceth against you with truth. Lo! We have caused (all) that ye did to be recorded.
SHAKIR: This is Our book that speaks against you with justice; surely We wrote what you did,
YUSUFALI: Then, as to those who believed and did righteous deeds, their Lord will admit them to His Mercy that will be the achievement for all to see.
PICKTHAL: Then, as for those who believed and did good works, their Lord will bring them in unto His mercy. That is the evident triumph.
SHAKIR: Then as to those who believed and did good, their Lord will make them enter into His mercy; that is the manifest achievement.
YUSUFALI: But as to those who rejected Allah, (to them will be said): "Were not Our Signs rehearsed to you? But ye were arrogant, and were a people given to sin!
PICKTHAL: And as for those who disbelieved (it will be said unto them): Were not Our revelations recited unto you? But ye were scornful and became a guilty folk.
SHAKIR: As to those who disbelieved: What! were not My communications recited to you? But you were proud and you were a guilty people.
YUSUFALI: "And when it was said that the promise of Allah was true, and that the Hour- there was no doubt about its (coming), ye used to say, 'We know not what is the hour: we only think it is an idea, and we have no firm assurance.'"
PICKTHAL: And when it was said: Lo! Allah's promise is the truth, and there is no doubt of the Hour's coming, ye said: We know not what the Hour is. We deem it naught but a conjecture, and we are by no means convinced.
SHAKIR: And when it was said, Surely the promise of Allah is true and as for the hour, there is no doubt about it, you said: We do not know what the hour is; we do not think (that it will come to pass) save a passing thought, and we are not at all sure.
YUSUFALI: Then will appear to them the evil (fruits) of what they did, and they will be completely encircled by that which they used to mock at!
PICKTHAL: And the evils of what they did will appear unto them, and that which they used to deride will befall them.
SHAKIR: And the evil (consequences) of what they did shall become manifest to them and that which they mocked shall encompass them.
YUSUFALI: It will also be said: "This Day We will forget you as ye forgot the meeting of this Day of yours! and your abode is the Fire, and no helpers have ye!
PICKTHAL: And it will be said: This day We forget you, even as ye forgot the meeting of this your day; and your habitation is the Fire, and there is none to help you.
SHAKIR: And it shall be said: Today We forsake you as you neglected the meeting of this day of yours and your abode is the fire, and there are not for you any helpers:
YUSUFALI: "This, because ye used to take the Signs of Allah in jest, and the life of the world deceived you:" (From) that Day, therefore, they shall not be taken out thence, nor shall they be received into Grace.
PICKTHAL: This, forasmuch as ye made the revelations of Allah a jest, and the life of the world beguiled you. Therefor this day they come not forth from thence, nor can they make amends.
SHAKIR: That is because you took the communications of Allah for a jest and the life of this world deceived you. So on that day they shall not be brought forth from it, nor shall they be granted goodwill.
YUSUFALI: Then Praise be to Allah, Lord of the heavens and Lord of the earth,- Lord and Cherisher of all the Worlds!
PICKTHAL: Then praise be to Allah, Lord of the heavens and Lord of the earth, the Lord of the Worlds.
SHAKIR: Therefore to Allah is due (all) praise, the Lord of the heavens and the Lord of the earth, the Lord of the worlds.
YUSUFALI: To Him be glory throughout the heavens and the earth: and He is Exalted in Power, Full of Wisdom!
PICKTHAL: And unto Him (alone) belongeth Majesty in the heavens and the earth, and He is the Mighty, the Wise.
SHAKIR: And to Him belongs greatness in the heavens and the earth, and He is the Mighty, the Wise.