This Surah consists of 85 verses, 1,199 sentences, 4,960 letters and 9 Ruku’s.
The Surah takes its name Al Mu'min from verse 28, implying thereby, that it is a Surah in which Al Mu'min (the Believer of Pharaoh's people) has been mentioned.
According to Ibn'Abbas and Jabir bin Zaid, this Surah was sent down consecutively after Surah Az Zumar, and its present position in the order of the Surahs in the Quran is the same as its chronological order.
There are clear indications in the subject matter of this Surah to the conditions in which it was revealed. The disbelievers of Makkah at that time were engaged in two kinds of the activities against the Holy Prophet. First, they were creating every kind of suspicion and misgiving in the minds of the pqople about the teaching of the Quran and the message of Islam and about the Holy Prophet himself by starting many disputes and discussions, raising irrelevant objections and bringing ever new accusations so that the Holy Prophet and the believers were sick of trying to answer them. Second, they were preparing the ground for putting an end to the Holy Prophet himself. They were devising one plot after the other, and on one occasion had even taken the practical steps to execute a plot. Bukhari has related a tradition on the authority of Hadrat Abdullah bin Amr bin 'As saying that one day when the Holy Prophet was offering his Prayer in the precincts of the Kabbah, suddenly 'Uqbah bin Abi Mu'ait, rushed forward and putting a piece of cloth round his neck started twisting it so as to strangle him to death. Hadrat Abu Bakr, who happened to go there in time, pushed him away. Hadrat Abdullah says that when Abu Bakr was struggling with the cruel man, he was saying words to the effect: "Would you kill a man only because he says: Allah is my Lord?" With a little variation this event has also been mentioned in Ibn Hisham, Nasa'i and Ibn Abi Hatim.
Both aspects of this have been clearly stated at the very outset, and then the whole following discourse is a most effective and instructive review of them.
As an answer to the conspiracies of murder, the story of the Believer of the people of Pharaoh has been acknowledge the prophethood of Muhammad (upon whom be Allah's peace), your power and authority will come to an end. That is why you are straining every nerve to frustrate and defeat him." In the same connection, the disbelievers have been warned again and again to the effect: "If you do not desist from wrangling against the Revelations of Allah, you will be doomed to the same fate as the nations of the past. Much worse torment awaits you in the Hereafter. Then you will repent, but it will be too late."
Please note that the Digest is based upon these outstanding translations and
they have been reproduced here for the benefit of serious readers of the Qur’aan;
the copyrights of these works are held by their respective authors/publishers
from whom they can be purchased by anyone interested in acquiring them and we
ardently hope that no offence will be taken by their inclusion.
Bismi Allahi alrrahmani alrraheemi
40 : 1
40 : 2
2. Tanzeelu alkitabi mina Allahi alAAazeezi alAAaleemi
This is a Scripture revealed by Allah, the Exalted, the Erudite.
40 : 3
3. Ghafiri alththanbi waqabili alttawbi shadeedi alAAiqabi thee alttawli la ilaha illa huwa ilayhi almaseeru
Who forgives our sins and accepts our repentance and is severe in punishment but is generous in reward! There is no God save Him, and to Him must all things return!
40 : 4
4. Ma yujadilu fee ayati Allahi illa allatheena kafaroo fala yaghrurka taqallubuhum fee albiladi
No one questions the revelations of Allah except those who disbelieve and hence let not their flourishing fortunes in the land mislead you.
40 : 5
5. Kaththabat qablahum qawmu noohin waal-ahzabu min baAAdihim wahammat kullu ommatin birasoolihim liya/khuthoohu wajadaloo bialbatili liyudhidoo bihi alhaqqa faakhathtuhum fakayfa kana AAiqabi
The people of Noah before them and the generations who followed thereafter denied their messengers; and every nation attempted to seize its messenger so that they may collude with mendacity in order to forswear the Truth! But I seized them, and how awesome was my seizure!
40 : 6
6. Wakathalika haqqat kalimatu rabbika AAala allatheena kafaroo annahum as-habu alnnari
Thus was the word of your Lord about those who disbelieve fulfilled that they will be the denizens of hell!
40 : 7
7. Allatheena yahmiloona alAAarsha waman hawlahu yusabbihoona bihamdi rabbihim wayu/minoona bihi wayastaghfiroona lillatheena amanoo rabbana wasiAAta kulla shay-in rahmatan waAAilman faighfir lillatheena taboo waittabaAAoo sabeelaka waqihim AAathaba aljaheemi
Those who bear the Throne and those who walk around it hymn the praises of their Lord and believe in Him and seek His forgiveness for those who believe (saying) : 'Our Lord! Your mercy and Your knowledge encompasses everything, so forgive those who repent and reach your path, and protect them from the doom of hell!
40 : 8
8. Rabbana waadkhilhum jannati AAadnin allatee waAAadtahum waman salaha min aba-ihim waazwajihim wathurriyyatihim innaka anta alAAazeezu alhakeemu
'Our Lord! Let them enter the Gardens of Eden which you have promised them, along with those of their forefathers and their wives and their descendants who have done good! Verily you are the Meritorious and the Sagacious!
40 : 9
9. Waqihimu alssayyi-ati waman taqi alssayyi-ati yawma-ithin faqad rahimtahu wathalika huwa alfawzu alAAatheemu
'Protect them against the repercussions of their misdeeds; and he whom You protect on that day against such repercussions, on him have You bestowed Your mercy! And that indeed is the ultimate triumph.' (R)
OTHER TRANSLATIONS BY MUHSIN, YUSUFALI, PICKTHAL AND SHAKIR:
[These letters are one of the miracles of the Qur'ân, and none but Allâh (Alone) knows their meanings].
2. The revelation of the Book (this Qur'ân) is from Allâh the All-Mighty, the All-Knower.
3. The Forgiver of sin, the Acceptor of repentance, the Severe in punishment, the Bestower (of favours), Lâ ilâha illa Huwa (none has the right to be worshipped but He), to Him is the final return.
4. None disputes in the Ayât (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.) of Allâh but those who disbelieve. So let not their ability of going about here and there through the land (for their purposes) deceive you [O Muhammad SAW, their ultimate end will be the Fire of Hell]!
5. The people of Nûh (Noah) and the confederates after them denied (their Messengers) before these, and every (disbelieving) nation plotted against their Messenger to seize him, and disputed by means of falsehood to refute therewith the truth. So I seized them (with punishment), and how (terrible) was My punishment!
6. Thus has the Word of your Lord been justified against those who disbelieved, that they will be the dwellers of the Fire.
7. Those (angels) who bear the Throne (of Allâh) and those around it glorify the praises of their Lord, and believe in Him, and ask forgiveness for those who believe (in the Oneness of Allâh) (saying): "Our Lord! You comprehend all things in mercy and knowledge, so forgive those who repent and follow Your Way, and save them from the torment of the blazing Fire!
8. "Our Lord! And make them enter the 'Adn (Eden) Paradise (everlasting Gardens) which you have promised them, and to the righteous among their fathers, their wives, and their offspring! Verily, You are the All-Mighty, the All-Wise.
9. "And save them from (the punishment, because of what they did of) the sins, and whomsoever You save from (the punishment, because of what they did of) the sins (i.e. excuse them) that Day, him verily, You have taken into mercy." And that is the supreme success.
YUSUFALI: Ha Mim
PICKTHAL: Ha. Mim.
SHAKIR: Ha Mim.
YUSUFALI: The revelation of this Book is from Allah, Exalted in Power, Full of Knowledge,-
PICKTHAL: The revelation of the Scripture is from Allah, the Mighty, the Knower,
SHAKIR: The revelation of the Book is from Allah, the Mighty, the Knowing,
YUSUFALI: Who forgiveth sin, accepteth repentance, is strict in punishment, and hath a long reach (in all things). there is no god but He: to Him is the final goal.
PICKTHAL: The Forgiver of sin, the Accepter of repentance, the Stern in punishment, the Bountiful. There is no Allah save Him. Unto Him is the journeying.
SHAKIR: The Forgiver of the faults and the Acceptor of repentance, Severe to punish, Lord of bounty; there is no god but He; to Him is the eventual coming.
YUSUFALI: None can dispute about the Signs of Allah but the Unbelievers. Let not, then, their strutting about through the land deceive thee!
PICKTHAL: None argue concerning the revelations of Allah save those who disbelieve, so let not their turn of fortune in the land deceive thee (O Muhammad).
SHAKIR: None dispute concerning the communications of Allah but those who disbelieve, therefore let not their going to and fro in the cities deceive you.
YUSUFALI: But (there were people) before them, who denied (the Signs),- the People of Noah, and the Confederates (of Evil) after them; and every People plotted against their prophet, to seize him, and disputed by means of vanities, therewith to condemn the Truth; but it was I that seized them! and how (terrible) was My Requital!
PICKTHAL: The folk of Noah and the factions after them denied (their messengers) before these, and every nation purposed to seize their messenger and argued falsely, (thinking) thereby to refute the Truth. Then I seized them, and how (awful) was My punishment.
SHAKIR: The people of Nuh and the parties after them rejected (prophets) before them, and every nation purposed against their messenger to destroy him, and they disputed by means of the falsehood that they might thereby render null the truth, therefore I destroyed them; how was then My retribution!
YUSUFALI: Thus was the Decree of thy Lord proved true against the Unbelievers; that truly they are Companions of the Fire!
PICKTHAL: Thus was the word of thy Lord concerning those who disbelieve fulfilled: That they are owners of the Fire.
SHAKIR: And thus did the word of your Lord prove true against those who disbelieved that they are the inmates of the fire.
YUSUFALI: Those who sustain the Throne (of Allah) and those around it Sing Glory and Praise to their Lord; believe in Him; and implore Forgiveness for those who believe: "Our Lord! Thy Reach is over all things, in Mercy and Knowledge. Forgive, then, those who turn in Repentance, and follow Thy Path; and preserve them from the Penalty of the Blazing Fire!
PICKTHAL: Those who bear the Throne, and all who are round about it, hymn the praises of their Lord and believe in Him and ask forgiveness for those who believe (saying): Our Lord! Thou comprehendest all things in mercy and knowledge, therefor forgive those who repent and follow Thy way. Ward off from them the punishment of hell.
SHAKIR: Those who bear the power and those around Him celebrate the praise of their Lord and believe in Him and ask protection for those who believe: Our Lord! Thou embracest all things in mercy and knowledge, therefore grant protection to those who turn (to Thee) and follow Thy way, and save them from the punishment of the hell:
YUSUFALI: "And grant, our Lord! that they enter the Gardens of Eternity, which Thou hast promised to them, and to the righteous among their fathers, their wives, and their posterity! For Thou art (He), the Exalted in Might, Full of Wisdom.
PICKTHAL: Our Lord! And make them enter the Gardens of Eden which thou hast promised them, with such of their fathers and their wives and their descendants as do right. Lo! Thou, only Thou, art the Mighty, the Wise.
SHAKIR: Our Lord! and make them enter the gardens of perpetuity which Thou hast promised to them and those who do good of their fathers and their wives and their offspring, surely Thou are the Mighty, the Wise.
YUSUFALI: "And preserve them from (all) ills; and any whom Thou dost preserve from ills that Day,- on them wilt Thou have bestowed Mercy indeed: and that will be truly (for them) the highest Achievement".
PICKTHAL: And ward off from them ill-deeds; and he from whom Thou wardest off ill-deeds that day, him verily hast Thou taken into mercy. That is the supreme triumph.
SHAKIR: And keep them from evil deeds, and whom Thou keepest from evil deeds this day, indeed Thou hast mercy on him, and that is the mighty achievement.
40 : 10
10. Inna allatheena kafaroo yunadawna lamaqtu Allahi akbaru min maqtikum anfusakum ith tudAAawna ila al-eemani fatakfuroona
On that Day those who disbelieve are openly informed : 'Allah's revulsion of you this Day is much more than your revulsion of one another, for when you were invited to embrace the Faith, you did decline!
40 : 11
11. Qaloo rabbana amattana ithnatayni waahyaytana ithnatayni faiAAtarafna bithunoobina fahal ila khuroojin min sabeelin
They say : 'Our Lord! Twice have you made us die and twice have you made us live! Now that we confess to our sins, is there some way in which we can emerge from this plight?'
40 : 12
12. Thalikum bi-annahu itha duAAiya Allahu wahdahu kafartum wa-in yushrak bihi tu/minoo faalhukmu lillahi alAAaliyyi alkabeeri
(It is said to them) : 'You are in this plight because whenever Allah's name was mentioned as the only God, you denied it; and when a partner was ascribed to Him, you accepted it! But in the end the Sceptre belongs to Allah alone, the Sublime, the Mighty!
40 : 13
13. Huwa allathee yureekum ayatihi wayunazzilu lakum mina alssama-i rizqan wama yatathakkaru illa man yuneebu
He it is who shows you the signs of His hegemony and sends down for you provision from the sky! Yet no one pays heed except he who turns to Him for forgiveness!.
40 : 14
14. FaodAAoo Allaha mukhliseena lahu alddeena walaw kariha alkafiroona
So (O believers) pray to Allah, making religion pure for Him alone regardless of how the disbelievers react towards you!
40 : 15
15. RafeeAAu alddarajati thoo alAAarshi yulqee alrrooha min amrihi AAala man yashao min AAibadihi liyunthira yawma alttalaqi
The Bestower of Status, the Lord of the Throne! He casts the Spirit of His command on whom He will of His bondsmen so that He may warn of the Day of Confrontation -
40 : 16
16. Yawma hum barizoona la yakhfa AAala Allahi minhum shay-on limani almulku alyawma lillahi alwahidi alqahhari
The Day when all will emerge into the open, nothing of them hidden from Allah! Whose is the Sovereignty on this Day? It is Allah's, the sole Supreme, the Almighty!
40 : 17
17. Alyawma tujza kullu nafsin bima kasabat la thulma alyawma inna Allaha sareeAAu alhisabi
This Day, every soul shall be requited for every one of its deeds; this Day, no one shall be wronged. Verily Allah is swift at settling the scores!
40 : 18
18. Waanthirhum yawma al-azifati ithi alquloobu lada alhanajiri kathimeena ma lilththalimeena min hameemin wala shafeeAAin yutaAAu
And warn them (O Mohammed) of the impending Day of doom when their hearts will leap into their throats from remorse and choke them, and when the invidious have neither friend nor any intermediary who shall be heard!
40 : 19
19. YaAAlamu kha-inata al-aAAyuni wama tukhfee alssudooru
He knows the covert look in the eye and the secret hoards of the hearts!
40 : 20
20. WaAllahu yaqdee bialhaqqi waallatheena yadAAoona min doonihi la yaqdoona bishay-in inna Allaha huwa alssameeAAu albaseeru
Allah judges with truth whereas those whom they worship in His place judge not at all! Verily it is Allah Who hears you and watches over you! (R)
OTHER TRANSLATIONS BY MUHSIN, YUSUFALI, PICKTHAL AND SHAKIR:
10. Those who disbelieve will be addressed (at the time of entering into the Fire): "Allâh's aversion was greater towards you (in the worldly life when you used to reject the Faith) than your aversion towards one another (now in the Fire of Hell, as you are now enemies to one another), when you were called to the Faith but you used to refuse."
11. They will say: "Our Lord! You have made us to die twice (i.e. we were dead in the loins of our fathers and dead after our deaths in this world), and You have given us life twice (i.e. life when we were born and life when we are Resurrected)! Now we confess our sins, then is there any way to get out (of the Fire)?"
12. (It will be said): "This is because, when Allâh Alone was invoked (in worship, etc.) you disbelieved, but when partners were joined to Him, you believed! So the judgement is only with Allâh, the Most High, the Most Great!"
13. It is He, Who shows you His Ayât (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.) and sends down (rain with which grows) provision for you from the sky. And none remembers but those who turn (to Allâh) in obedience and in repentance (by begging His Pardon and by worshipping and obeying Him Alone and none else).
14. So, call you (O Muhammad SAW and the believers) upon (or invoke) Allâh making (your) worship pure for Him (Alone) (by worshipping none but Him and by doing religious deeds sincerely for Allâh's sake only and not to show-off and not to set up rivals with Him in worship). However much the disbelievers (in the Oneness of Allâh) may hate (it).
15. (He is Allâh) Owner of High Ranks and Degrees, the Owner of the Throne. He sends the Inspiration by His Command to any of His slaves He wills, that he (the person who receives inspiration) may warn (men) of the Day of Mutual Meeting (i.e. The Day of Resurrection).
16. The Day when they will (all) come out, nothing of them will be hidden from Allâh. Whose is the kingdom this Day? (Allâh Himself will reply to His Question): It is Allâh's the One, the Irresistible!
17. This Day shall every person be recompensed for what he earned. No injustice (shall be done to anybody). Truly, Allâh is Swift in reckoning.
18. And warn them (O Muhammad SAW) of the Day that is drawing near (i.e. the Day of Resurrection), when the hearts will be choking the throats, and they can neither return them (hearts) to their chests nor can they throw them out. There will be no friend, nor an intercessor for the Zâlimûn (polytheists and wrong-doers, etc.), who could be given heed to.
19. Allâh knows the fraud of the eyes, and all that the breasts conceal.
20. And Allâh judges with truth, while those to whom they invoke besides Him, cannot judge anything. Certainly, Allâh! He is the All-Hearer, the All-Seer.
YUSUFALI: The Unbelievers will be addressed: "Greater was the aversion of Allah to you than (is) your aversion to yourselves, seeing that ye were called to the Faith and ye used to refuse."
PICKTHAL: Lo! (on that day) those who disbelieve are informed by proclamation: Verily Allah's abhorrence is more terrible than your abhorrence one of another, when ye were called unto the faith but did refuse.
SHAKIR: Surely those who disbelieve shall be cried out to: Certainly Allah's hatred (of you) when you were called upon to the faith and you rejected, is much greater than your hatred of yourselves.
YUSUFALI: They will say: "Our Lord! twice hast Thou made us without life, and twice hast Thou given us Life! Now have we recognised our sins: Is there any way out (of this)?"
PICKTHAL: They say: Our Lord! Twice hast Thou made us die, and twice hast Thou made us live. Now we confess our sins. Is there any way to go out?
SHAKIR: They shall say: Our Lord! twice didst Thou make us subject to death, and twice hast Thou given us life, so we do confess our faults; is there then a way to get out?
YUSUFALI: (The answer will be:) "This is because, when Allah was invoked as the Only (object of worship), ye did reject Faith, but when partners were joined to Him, ye believed! the Command is with Allah, Most High, Most Great!"
PICKTHAL: (It is said unto them): This is (your plight) because, when Allah only was invoked, ye disbelieved, but when some partner was ascribed to Him ye were believing. But the command belongeth only to Allah, the Sublime, the Majestic.
SHAKIR: That is because when Allah alone was called upon, you disbelieved, and when associates were given to Him, you believed; so judgment belongs to Allah, the High, the Great.
YUSUFALI: He it is Who showeth you his Signs, and sendeth down sustenance for you from the sky: but only those receive admonition who turn (to Allah).
PICKTHAL: He it is Who showeth you His portents, and sendeth down for you provision from the sky. None payeth heed save him who turneth (unto Him) repentant.
SHAKIR: He it is Who shows you His signs and sends down for you sustenance from heaven, and none minds but he who turns (to Him) again and again.
YUSUFALI: Call ye, then, upon Allah with sincere devotion to Him, even though the Unbelievers may detest it.
PICKTHAL: Therefor (O believers) pray unto Allah, making religion pure for Him (only), however much the disbelievers be averse -
SHAKIR: Therefore call upon Allah, being sincere to Him in obedience, though the unbelievers are averse:
YUSUFALI: Raised high above ranks (or degrees), (He is) the Lord of the Throne (of Authority): by His Command doth He send the Spirit (of inspiration) to any of His servants he pleases, that it may warn (men) of the Day of Mutual Meeting,-
PICKTHAL: The Exalter of Ranks, the Lord of the Throne. He causeth the Spirit of His command upon whom He will of His slaves, that He may warn of the Day of Meeting,
SHAKIR: Possessor of the highest rank, Lord of power: He makes the inspiration to light by His command upon whom He pleases of His servants, that he may warn (men) of the day of meeting.
YUSUFALI: The Day whereon they will (all) come forth: not a single thing concerning them is hidden from Allah. Whose will be the dominion that Day?" That of Allah, the One the Irresistible!
PICKTHAL: The day when they come forth, nothing of them being hidden from Allah. Whose is the Sovereignty this day? It is Allah's, the One, the Almighty.
SHAKIR: (Of) the day when they shall come forth, nothing concerning them remains hidden to Allah. To whom belongs the kingdom this day? To Allah, the One, the Subduer (of all).
YUSUFALI: That Day will every soul be requited for what it earned; no injustice will there be that Day, for Allah is Swift in taking account.
PICKTHAL: This day is each soul requited that which it hath earned; no wrong (is done) this day. Lo! Allah is swift at reckoning.
SHAKIR: This day every soul shall be rewarded for what it has earned; no injustice (shall be done) this day; surely Allah is quick in reckoning.
YUSUFALI: Warn them of the Day that is (ever) drawing near, when the hearts will (come) right up to the throats to choke (them); No intimate friend nor intercessor will the wrong-doers have, who could be listened to.
PICKTHAL: Warn them (O Muhammad) of the Day of the approaching (doom), when the hearts will be choking the throats, (when) there will be no friend for the wrong-doers, nor any intercessor who will be heard.
SHAKIR: And warn them of the day that draws near, when hearts shall rise up to the throats, grieving inwardly; the unjust shall not have any compassionate friend nor any intercessor who should be obeyed.
YUSUFALI: (Allah) knows of (the tricks) that deceive with the eyes, and all that the hearts (of men) conceal.
PICKTHAL: He knoweth the traitor of the eyes, and that which the bosoms hide.
SHAKIR: He knows the stealthy looks and that which the breasts conceal.
YUSUFALI: And Allah will judge with (justice and) Truth: but those whom (men) invoke besides Him, will not (be in a position) to judge at all. Verily it is Allah (alone) Who hears and sees (all things).
PICKTHAL: Allah judgeth with truth, while those to whom they cry instead of Him judge not at all. Lo! Allah, He is the Hearer, the Seer.
SHAKIR: And Allah judges with the truth; and those whom they call upon besides Him cannot judge aught; surely Allah is the Hearing, the Seeing.
40 : 21
21. Awa lam yaseeroo fee al-ardi fayanthuroo kayfa kana AAaqibatu allatheena kanoo min qablihim kanoo hum ashadda minhum quwwatan waatharan fee al-ardi faakhathahumu Allahu bithunoobihim wama kana lahum mina Allahi min waqin
Have they not travelled in the land and seen what befell those who were before them who disbelieved? Their strength, - and from the traces they have left behind in the land, - their status was much greater than theirs! Yet Allah seized them for their sins and there was none who could protect them from Allah!
40 : 22
22. Thalika bi-annahum kanat ta/teehim rusuluhum bialbayyinati fakafaroo faakhathahumu Allahu innahu qawiyyun shadeedu alAAiqabi
That was because, though their messengers brought to them many a vivid portent of Allah's Sovereignty, they disbelieved; and hence Allah seized them. Verily He is the Almighty and unrelenting in retribution!
40 : 23
23. Walaqad arsalna moosa bi-ayatina wasultanin mubeenin
And verily We sent Moses with Our revelations and indubitable authority -
40 : 24
24. Ila firAAawna wahamana waqaroona faqaloo sahirun kaththabun
To Pharaoh and Hamaan and Kora! But they said : 'A mendacious wizard!'
40 : 25
25. Falamma jaahum bialhaqqi min AAindina qaloo oqtuloo abnaa allatheena amanoo maAAahu waistahyoo nisaahum wama kaydu alkafireena illa fee dalalin
And when he brought them the Truth from Our presence, they said : 'Slay the sons of those who believe along with him and let their women live!' But the cabal of the disbelievers is no more than an exercise in folly!
40 : 26
26. Waqala firAAawnu tharoonee aqtul moosa walyadAAu rabbahu innee akhafu an yubaddila deenakum aw an yuthhira fee al-ardi alfasada
And Pharaoh said : 'Allow me to kill Moses and let him to cry to his Lord for help! Verily I fear that he will obfuscate your religion or that he will create unrest in the realm!'
40 : 27
27. Waqala moosa innee AAuthtu birabbee warabbikum min kulli mutakabbirin la yu/minu biyawmi alhisabi
Moses said : 'I seek refuge in my Lord and your Lord from every arrogant scorner who does not believe in the Day of Reckoning!' (R)
OTHER TRANSLATIONS BY MUHSIN, YUSUFALI, PICKTHAL AND SHAKIR:
21. Have they not travelled in the land and seen what was the end of those who were before them? They were superior to them in strength, and in the traces (which they left) in the land. But Allâh seized them with punishment for their sins. And none had they to protect them from Allâh.
22. That was because there came to them their Messengers with clear evidences, proofs and signs but they disbelieved (in them). So Allâh seized them with punishment. Verily, He is All-Strong, Severe in punishment.
23. And indeed We sent Mûsa (Moses) with Our Ayât (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.), and a manifest authority,
24. To Fir'aun (Pharaoh), Hâmân and Qârûn (Korah), but they called (him): "A sorcerer, a liar!"
25. Then, when he brought them the Truth from Us, they said: "Kill the sons of those who believe with him and let their women live", but the plots of disbelievers are nothing but errors!
26. Fir'aun (Pharaoh) said: "Leave me to kill Mûsa (Moses), and let him call his Lord (to stop me from killing him)! I fear that he may change your religion, or that he may cause mischief to appear in the land!"
27. Mûsa (Moses) said: "Verily, I seek refuge in my Lord and your Lord from every arrogant who believes not in the Day of Reckoning!"
YUSUFALI: Do they not travel through the earth and see what was the End of those before them? They were even superior to them in strength, and in the traces (they have left) in the land: but Allah did call them to account for their sins, and none had they to defend them against Allah.
PICKTHAL: Have they not travelled in the land to see the nature of the consequence for those who disbelieved before them? They were mightier than these in power and (in the) traces (which they left behind them) in the earth. Yet Allah seized them for their sins, and they had no protector from Allah.
SHAKIR: Have they not travelled in the earth and seen how was the end of those who were before them? Mightier than these were they in strength-- and in fortifications in the land, but Allah destroyed them for their sins; and there was not for them any defender against Allah.
YUSUFALI: That was because there came to them their messengers with Clear (Signs), but they rejected them: So Allah called them to account: for He is Full of Strength, Strict in Punishment.
PICKTHAL: That was because their messengers kept bringing them clear proofs (of Allah's Sovereignty) but they disbelieved; so Allah seized them. Lo! He is Strong, severe in punishment.
SHAKIR: That was because there came to them their messengers with clear arguments, but they rejected (them), therefore Allah destroyed them; surely He is Strong, Severe in retribution.
YUSUFALI: Of old We sent Moses, with Our Signs and an authority manifest,
PICKTHAL: And verily We sent Moses with Our revelations and a clear warrant
SHAKIR: And certainly We sent Musa with Our communications and clear authority,
YUSUFALI: To Pharaoh, Haman, and Qarun; but they called (him)" a sorcerer telling lies!"...
PICKTHAL: Unto Pharaoh and Haman and Korah, but they said: A lying sorcerer!
SHAKIR: To Firon and Haman and Qaroun, but they said: A lying magician.
YUSUFALI: Now, when he came to them in Truth, from Us, they said, "Slay the sons of those who believe with him, and keep alive their females," but the plots of Unbelievers (end) in nothing but errors (and delusions)!...
PICKTHAL: And when he brought them the Truth from Our presence, they said: Slay the sons of those who believe with him, and spare their women. But the plot of disbelievers is in naught but error.
SHAKIR: So when he brought to them the truth from Us, they said: Slay the sons of those who believe with him and keep their women alive; and the struggle of the unbelievers will only come to a state of perdition.
YUSUFALI: Said Pharaoh: "Leave me to slay Moses; and let him call on his Lord! What I fear is lest he should change your religion, or lest he should cause mischief to appear in the land!"
PICKTHAL: And Pharaoh said: Suffer me to kill Moses, and let him cry unto his Lord. Lo! I fear that he will alter your religion or that he will cause confusion in the land.
SHAKIR: And Firon said: Let me alone that I may slay Musa and let him call upon his Lord; surely I fear that he will change your religion or that he will make mischief to appear in the land.
YUSUFALI: Moses said: "I have indeed called upon my Lord and your Lord (for protection) from every arrogant one who believes not in the Day of Account!"
PICKTHAL: Moses said: Lo! I seek refuge in my Lord and your Lord from every scorner who believeth not in a Day of Reckoning.
SHAKIR: And Musa said: Surely I take refuge with my Lord and-- your Lord from every proud one who does not believe in the day of reckoning.
40 : 28
28. Waqala rajulun mu/minun min ali firAAawna yaktumu eemanahu ataqtuloona rajulan an yaqoola rabbiyya Allahu waqad jaakum bialbayyinati min rabbikum wa-in yaku kathiban faAAalayhi kathibuhu wa-in yaku sadiqan yusibkum baAAdu allathee yaAAidukum inna Allaha la yahdee man huwa musrifun kaththabun
And a believing man from Pharaoh's own family who had kept his faith a secret said : 'Will you kill a man because he says : 'My Lord is Allah' and has brought you clear proofs from your Lord? If he is lying, the burden of his lies will rest upon him! But if he is speaking the truth, then beware that some of that with which he is threatening you might befall you! Verily Allah guides not the profligate and the mendacious!
40 : 29
29. Ya qawmi lakumu almulku alyawma thahireena fee al-ardi faman yansuruna min ba/si Allahi in jaana qala firAAawnu ma oreekum illa ma ara wama ahdeekum illa sabeela alrrashadi
'O my people! No doubt this realm belongs to you today and you have in it upper hand. But who would protect us from the wrath of Allah if it landed on us?' Pharaoh said : 'I tell you only that which occurs to me and I recommend you only that which I think is your right recourse!'
40 : 30
30. Waqala allathee amana ya qawmi innee akhafu AAalaykum mithla yawmi al-ahzabi
But the believer said : 'O my people! Verily I fear for you the same plight as befell the other generations in the past!
40 : 31
31. Mithla da/bi qawmi noohin waAAadin wathamooda waallatheena min baAAdihim wama Allahu yureedu thulman lilAAibadi
'The plight that befell the folks of Noah and the tribes of Aad and Thamud and others who followed them. It pleases not Allah to unjustly hurt His bondsmen!
40 : 32
32. Waya qawmi innee akhafu AAalaykum yawma alttanadi
'O my people! Verily I fear for you of the Day when all are summoned -
40 : 33
33. Yawma tuwalloona mudbireena ma lakum mina Allahi min AAasimin waman yudlili Allahu fama lahu min hadin
'A Day when you will turn round and flee, there being no one to protect you against Allah. He whom Allah sends astray, no one can give him any guidance!
40 : 34
34. Walaqad jaakum yoosufu min qablu bialbayyinati fama ziltum fee shakkin mimma jaakum bihi hatta itha halaka qultum lan yabAAatha Allahu min baAAdihi rasoolan kathalika yudillu Allahu man huwa musrifun murtabun
'And verily in the past Joseph had brought to you vivid portents but you constantly doubted that which he brought to you until when he died you said : 'Verily there will not come to us any messengers from Allah!' Thus does Allah delude the reckless and the cynical!
40 : 35
35. Allatheena yujadiloona fee ayati Allahi bighayri sultanin atahum kabura maqtan AAinda Allahi waAAinda allatheena amanoo kathalika yatbaAAu Allahu AAala kulli qalbi mutakabbirin jabbarin
'Those who altercate over the revelations of Allah without any authority being sanctioned to them, their malevolence is immensely vexatious in the sight of Allah and in the sight of those who believe! Thus does Allah seal off the hearts of every vain-glorious tyrant!'
40 : 36
36. Waqala firAAawnu ya hamanu ibni lee sarhan laAAallee ablughu al-asbaba
And Pharaoh said : 'O Haman! Build me a tower so that I may reach the tracks -
40 : 37
37. Asbaba alssamawati faattaliAAa ila ilahi moosa wa-innee laathunnuhu kathiban wakathalika zuyyina lifirAAawna soo-o AAamalihi wasudda AAani alssabeeli wama kaydu firAAawna illa fee tababin
'The tracks that lead to heaven and may take a look at the God of Moses, although I am certain that he is a liar!' Thus was the evil deed of Pharaoh made to look like a seemly deed in his eyes and he was blown off course. The scheme of Pharaoh was destined to end in failure! (R)
OTHER TRANSLATIONS BY MUHSIN, YUSUFALI, PICKTHAL AND SHAKIR:
28. And a believing man of Fir'aun's (Pharaoh) family, who hid his faith said: "Would you kill a man because he says: My Lord is Allâh, and he has come to you with clear signs (proofs) from your Lord? And if he is a liar, upon him will be (the sin of) his lie; but if he is telling the truth, then some of that (calamity) wherewith he threatens you will befall on you." Verily, Allâh guides not one who is a Musrif (a polytheist, or a murderer who shed blood without a right, or those who commit great sins, oppressor, transgressor), a liar!
29. "O my people! Yours is the kingdom this day, you are uppermost in the land. But who will save us from the Torment of Allâh, should it befall us?" Fir'aun (Pharaoh) said: "I show you only that which I see (correct), and I guide you only to the path of right policy!"
30. And he who believed said: "O my people! Verily, I fear for you a fate like that day (of disaster) of the Confederates (of old)!
31. "Like the fate of the people of Nûh (Noah), and 'Ad, and Thamûd and those who came after them. And Allâh wills no injustice for (His) slaves.
32. "And, O my people! Verily! I fear for you the Day when there will be mutual calling (between the people of Hell and of Paradise)."
33. A Day when you will turn your backs and flee having no protector from Allâh, And whomsoever Allâh sends astray, for him there is no guide.
34. And indeed Yûsuf (Joseph) did come to you, in times gone by, with clear signs, but you ceased not to doubt in that which he did bring to you, till when he died you said: "No Messenger will Allâh send after him." Thus Allâh leaves astray him who is a Musrif (a polytheist, oppressor, a criminal, sinner who commit great sins) and a Murtâb (one who doubts Allâh's Warning and His Oneness).
35. Those who dispute about the Ayât (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.) of Allâh, without any authority that has come to them, it is greatly hateful and disgusting to Allâh and to those who believe. Thus does Allâh seal up the heart of every arrogant, tyrant. (So they cannot guide themselves to the Right Path).
36. And Fir'aun (Pharaoh) said: "O Hâmân! Build me a tower that I may arrive at the ways,
37. "The ways of the heavens, and I may look upon the Ilâh (God) of Mûsa (Moses) but verily, I think him to be a liar." Thus it was made fair-seeming, in Fir'aun's (Pharaoh) eyes, the evil of his deeds, and he was hindered from the (Right) Path, and the plot of Fir'aun (Pharaoh) led to nothing but loss and destruction (for him).
YUSUFALI: A believer, a man from among the people of Pharaoh, who had concealed his faith, said: "Will ye slay a man because he says, 'My Lord is Allah'?- when he has indeed come to you with Clear (Signs) from your Lord? and if he be a liar, on him is (the sin of) his lie: but, if he is telling the Truth, then will fall on you something of the (calamity) of which he warns you: Truly Allah guides not one who transgresses and lies!
PICKTHAL: And a believing man of Pharaoh's family, who hid his faith, said: Would ye kill a man because he saith: My Lord is Allah, and hath brought you clear proofs from your Lord? If he is lying, then his lie is upon him; and if he is truthful, then some of that wherewith he threateneth you will strike you. Lo! Allah guideth not one who is a prodigal, a liar.
SHAKIR: And a believing man of Firon's people who hid his faith said: What! will you slay a man because he says: My Lord is Allah, and indeed he has brought to you clear arguments from your Lord? And if he be a liar, on him will be his lie, and if he be truthful, there will befall you some of that which he threatens you (with); surely Allah does not guide him who is extravagant, a liar:
YUSUFALI: "O my People! Yours is the dominion this day: Ye have the upper hand in the land: but who will help us from the Punishment of Allah, should it befall us?" Pharaoh said: "I but point out to you that which I see (myself); Nor do I guide you but to the Path of Right!"
PICKTHAL: O my people! Yours is the kingdom to-day, ye being uppermost in the land. But who would save us from the wrath of Allah should it reach us? Pharaoh said: I do but show you what I think, and I do but guide you to wise policy.
SHAKIR: O my people! yours is the kingdom this day, being masters in the land, but who will help us against the punishment of Allah if it come to us? Firon said: I do not show you aught but that which I see (myself), and I do not make you follow any but the right way.
YUSUFALI: Then said the man who believed: "O my people! Truly I do fear for you something like the Day (of disaster) of the Confederates (in sin)!-
PICKTHAL: And he who believed said: O my people! Lo! I fear for you a fate like that of the factions (of old);
SHAKIR: And he who believed said: O my people! surely I fear for you the like of what befell the parties:
YUSUFALI: "Something like the fate of the People of Noah, the 'Ad, and the Thamud, and those who came after them: but Allah never wishes injustice to his Servants.
PICKTHAL: A plight like that of Noah's folk, and A'ad and Thamud, and those after them, and Allah willeth no injustice for (His) slaves.
SHAKIR: The like of what befell the people of Nuh and Ad and Samood and those after them, and Allah does not desire injustice for (His) servants;
YUSUFALI: "And O my people! I fear for you a Day when there will be Mutual calling (and wailing),-
PICKTHAL: And, O my people! Lo! I fear for you a Day of Summoning,
SHAKIR: And, O my people! I fear for you the day of calling out,
YUSUFALI: "A Day when ye shall turn your backs and flee: No defender shall ye have from Allah: Any whom Allah leaves to stray, there is none to guide...
PICKTHAL: A day when ye will turn to flee, having no preserver from Allah: and he whom Allah sendeth astray, for him there is no guide.
SHAKIR: The day on which you will turn back retreating; there shall be no savior for you from Allah, and whomsoever Allah causes to err, there is no guide for him:
YUSUFALI: "And to you there came Joseph in times gone by, with Clear Signs, but ye ceased not to doubt of the (Mission) for which he had come: At length, when he died, ye said: 'No messenger will Allah send after him.' thus doth Allah leave to stray such as transgress and live in doubt,-
PICKTHAL: And verily Joseph brought you of old clear proofs, yet ye ceased not to be in doubt concerning what he brought you till, when he died, ye said: Allah will not send any messenger after him. Thus Allah deceiveth him who is a prodigal, a doubter.
SHAKIR: And certainly Yusuf came to you before with clear arguments, but you ever remained in doubt as to what he brought; until when he died, you said: Allah will never raise a messenger after him. Thus does Allah cause him to err who is extravagant, a doubter
YUSUFALI: "(Such) as dispute about the Signs of Allah, without any authority that hath reached them, grievous and odious (is such conduct) in the sight of Allah and of the Believers. Thus doth Allah, seal up every heart - of arrogant and obstinate Transgressors."
PICKTHAL: Those who wrangle concerning the revelations of Allah without any warrant that hath come unto them, it is greatly hateful in the sight of Allah and in the sight of those who believe. Thus doth Allah print on every arrogant, disdainful heart.
SHAKIR: Those who dispute concerning the communications of Allah without any authority that He has given them; greatly hated is it by Allah and by-those who believe. Thus does Allah set a seal over the heart of every proud, haughty one.
YUSUFALI: Pharaoh said: "O Haman! Build me a lofty palace, that I may attain the ways and means-
PICKTHAL: And Pharaoh said: O Haman! Build for me a tower that haply I may reach the roads,
SHAKIR: And Firon said: O Haman! build for me a tower that I may attain the means of access,
YUSUFALI: "The ways and means of (reaching) the heavens, and that I may mount up to the god of Moses: But as far as I am concerned, I think (Moses) is a liar!" Thus was made alluring, in Pharaoh's eyes, the evil of his deeds, and he was hindered from the Path; and the plot of Pharaoh led to nothing but perdition (for him).
PICKTHAL: The roads of the heavens, and may look upon the god of Moses, though verily I think him a liar. Thus was the evil that he did made fairseeming unto Pharaoh, and he was debarred from the (right) way. The plot of Pharaoh ended but in ruin.
SHAKIR: The means of access to the heavens, then reach the god of Musa, and I surely think him to be a liar. And thus the evil of his deed was made fairseeming to Firon, and he was turned away from the way; and the struggle of Firon was not (to end) in aught but destruction.
40 : 38
38. Waqala allathee amana ya qawmi ittabiAAooni ahdikum sabeela alrrashadi
He who believed said : 'O my people! Follow in my footstep and let me show you the righteous path!
40 : 39
39. Ya qawmi innama hathihi alhayatu alddunya mataAAun wa-inna al-akhirata hiya daru alqarari
'O my people! Verily the life of this world is only a fleeting comfort whereas the abode of the Hereafter is indeed an everlasting abode!
40 : 40
40. Man AAamila sayyi-atan fala yujza illa mithlaha waman AAamila salihan min thakarin aw ontha wahuwa mu/minun faola-ika yadkhuloona aljannata yurzaqoona feeha bighayri hisabin
'Those who do wrong will be given back the equivalent of what they did while those who do right, man or woman, and are believers, will enter the Garden wherein their provision will be limitless!
40 : 41
41. Waya qawmi malee adAAookum ila alnnajati watadAAoonanee ila alnnari
'O my people! How strange that I should beckon you towards redemption whilst you beckon me towards the Fire!
40 : 42
42. TadAAoonanee li-akfura biAllahi waoshrika bihi ma laysa lee bihi AAilmun waana adAAookum ila alAAazeezi alghaffari
'And you beckon me towards disbelieving in Allah and assigning to Him partners about whom I have no knowledge, whereas I beckon you towards Him who is Meritorious and Merciful!
40 : 43
43. La jarama annama tadAAoonanee ilayhi laysa lahu daAAwatun fee alddunya wala fee al-akhirati waanna maraddana ila Allahi waanna almusrifeena hum as-habu alnnari
'Without doubt, you beckon me towards him who has no power, in this world or in the Hereafter! Our returning is to Allah and the destination of the transgressors is Hell!
40 : 44
44. Fasatathkuroona ma aqoolu lakum waofawwidu amree ila Allahi inna Allaha baseerun bialAAibadi
'Presently, you shall remember what I am saying to you! As for me, I put my trust in Allah, for verily Allah takes care of His bondsmen!
40 : 45
45. Fawaqahu Allahu sayyi-ati ma makaroo wahaqa bi-ali firAAawna soo-o alAAathabi
Allah warded off the evil which they plotted against him whereas an horrendous doom engulfed Pharaohs folk.
40 : 46
46. Alnnaru yuAAradoona AAalayha ghuduwwan waAAashiyyan wayawma taqoomu alssaAAatu adkhiloo ala firAAawna ashadda alAAathabi
The Fire! They are exposed to it mornings and evenings; and on the Day when the Hour culminates, it will be said : 'Inflict upon the folk of Pharaoh the most heinous of punishments!''
40 : 47
47. Wa-ith yatahajjoona fee alnnari fayaqoolu aldduAAafao lillatheena istakbaroo inna kunna lakum tabaAAan fahal antum mughnoona AAanna naseeban mina alnnari
As they wrangle with each other in the Fire, the weak among them say to those who were strong : 'We were subservient to you! So will you now alleviate at least a portion of this fire?'
40 : 48
48. Qala allatheena istakbaroo inna kullun feeha inna Allaha qad hakama bayna alAAibadi
Those who were strong will say : 'Verily We are in this together! Verily this is how Allah has adjudicated between His bondsmen!'
40 : 49
49. Waqala allatheena fee alnnari likhazanati jahannama odAAoo rabbakum yukhaffif AAanna yawman mina alAAathabi
And those in the flames say to the warders of hell : 'Pray to your Lord to mitigate at least a day's torment from us!'
40 : 50
50. Qaloo awa lam taku ta/teekum rusulukum bialbayyinati qaloo bala qaloo faodAAoo wama duAAao alkafireena illa fee dalalin
They will retort : 'Came not to you your messengers with vivid portents?' They will say : 'Yes, verily!' The warders will say : 'Then do your own praying, although the prayers of the disbelievers are futile!' (R)
OTHER TRANSLATIONS BY MUHSIN, YUSUFALI, PICKTHAL AND SHAKIR:
38. And the man who believed said: "O my people! Follow me, I will guide you to the way of right conduct [i.e. guide you to Allâh's religion of Islâmic Monotheism with which Mûsa (Moses) has been sent].
39. "O my people! Truly, this life of the world is nothing but a (quick passing) enjoyment, and verily, the Hereafter that is the home that will remain forever."
40. "Whosoever does an evil deed, will not be requited except the like thereof, and whosoever does a righteous deed, whether male or female and is a true believer (in the Oneness of Allâh), such will enter Paradise, where they will be provided therein (with all things in abundance) without limit.
41. "And O my people! How is it that I call you to salvation while you call me to the Fire!
42. "You invite me to disbelieve in Allâh (and in His Oneness), and to join partners in worship with Him; of which I have no knowledge, and I invite you to the All-Mighty, the Oft-Forgiving!
43. "No doubt you call me to (worship) one who cannot grant (me) my request (or respond to my invocation) in this world or in the Hereafter. And our return will be to Allâh, and Al-Musrifûn (i.e. polytheists and arrogants, those who commit great sins, the transgressors of Allâh's set limits)! They shall be the dwellers of the Fire!
44. "And you will remember what I am telling you, and my affair I leave it to Allâh. Verily, Allâh is the All-Seer of (His) slaves."
45. So Allâh saved him from the evils that they plotted (against him), while an evil torment encompassed Fir'aun's (Pharaoh) people.
46. The Fire; they are exposed to it, morning and afternoon, and on the Day when the Hour will be established (it will be said to the angels): "Cause Fir'aun's (Pharaoh) people to enter the severest torment!"
47. And, when they will dispute in the Fire, the weak will say to those who were arrogant; "Verily! We followed you, can you then take from us some portion of the Fire?"
48. Those who were arrogant will say: "We are all (together) in this (Fire)! Verily Allâh has judged between (His) slaves!"
49. And those in the Fire will say to the keepers (angels) of Hell: "Call upon your Lord to lighten for us the torment for a day!"
50. They will say: "Did there not come to you, your Messengers with (clear) evidences and signs? They will say: "Yes." They will reply: "Then call (as you like)! And the invocation of the disbelievers is nothing but in error!"
YUSUFALI: The man who believed said further: "O my people! Follow me: I will lead you to the Path of Right.
PICKTHAL: And he who believed said: O my people! Follow me. I will show you the way of right conduct.
SHAKIR: And he who believed said: O my people! follow me, I will guide you to the right course;
YUSUFALI: "O my people! This life of the present is nothing but (temporary) convenience: It is the Hereafter that is the Home that will last.
PICKTHAL: O my people! Lo! this life of the world is but a passing comfort, and lo! the Hereafter, that is the enduring home.
SHAKIR: O my people! this life of the world is only a (passing) enjoyment, and surely the hereafter is the abode to settle;
YUSUFALI: "He that works evil will not be requited but by the like thereof: and he that works a righteous deed - whether man or woman - and is a Believer- such will enter the Garden (of Bliss): Therein will they have abundance without measure.
PICKTHAL: Whoso doeth an ill-deed, he will be repaid the like thereof, while whoso doeth right, whether male or female, and is a believer, (all) such will enter the Garden, where they will be nourished without stint.
SHAKIR: Whoever does an evil, he shall not be recompensed (with aught) but the like of it, and whoever does good, whether male or female, and he is a believer, these shall enter the garden, in which they shall be given sustenance without measure.
YUSUFALI: "And O my people! How (strange) it is for me to call you to Salvation while ye call me to the Fire!
PICKTHAL: And, O my people! What aileth me that I call you unto deliverance when ye call me unto the Fire?
SHAKIR: And, O my people! how is it that I call you to salvation and you call me to the fire?
YUSUFALI: "Ye do call upon me to blaspheme against Allah, and to join with Him partners of whom I have no knowledge; and I call you to the Exalted in Power, Who forgives again and again!"
PICKTHAL: Ye call me to disbelieve in Allah and ascribe unto Him as partners that whereof I have no knowledge, while I call you unto the Mighty, the Forgiver.
SHAKIR: You call on me that I should disbelieve in Allah and associate with Him that of which I have no knowledge, and I call you to the Mighty, the most Forgiving;
YUSUFALI: "Without doubt ye do call me to one who is not fit to be called to, whether in this world, or in the Hereafter; our return will be to Allah; and the Transgressors will be Companions of the Fire!
PICKTHAL: Assuredly that whereunto ye call me hath no claim in the world or in the Hereafter, and our return will be unto Allah, and the prodigals will be owners of the Fire.
SHAKIR: No doubt that what you call me to has no title to be called to in this world, nor in the hereafter, and that our turning back is to Allah, and that the extravagant are the inmates of the fire;
YUSUFALI: "Soon will ye remember what I say to you (now), My (own) affair I commit to Allah: for Allah (ever) watches over His Servants."
PICKTHAL: And ye will remember what I say unto you. I confide my cause unto Allah. Lo! Allah is Seer of (His) slaves.
SHAKIR: So you shall remember what I say to you, and I entrust my affair to Allah, Surely Allah sees the servants.
YUSUFALI: Then Allah saved him from (every) ill that they plotted (against him), but the burnt of the Penalty encompassed on all sides the People of Pharaoh.
PICKTHAL: So Allah warded off from him the evils which they plotted, while a dreadful doom encompassed Pharaoh's folk,
SHAKIR: So Allah protected him from the evil (consequences) of what they planned, and the most evil punishment overtook Firon's people:
YUSUFALI: In front of the Fire will they be brought, morning and evening: And (the sentence will be) on the Day that Judgment will be established: "Cast ye the People of Pharaoh into the severest Penalty!"
PICKTHAL: The Fire; they are exposed to it morning and evening; and on the day when the Hour upriseth (it is said): Cause Pharaoh's folk to enter the most awful doom.
SHAKIR: The fire; they shall be brought before it (every) morning and evening and on the day when the hour shall come to pass: Make Firon's people enter the severest chastisement.
YUSUFALI: Behold, they will dispute with each other in the Fire! The weak ones (who followed) will say to those who had been arrogant, "We but followed you: Can ye then take (on yourselves) from us some share of the Fire?
PICKTHAL: And when they wrangle in the Fire, the weak say unto those who were proud: Lo! we were a following unto you; will ye therefor rid us of a portion of the Fire?
SHAKIR: And when they shall contend one with another in the fire, then the weak shall say to those who were proud: Surely we were your followers; will you then avert from us a portion of the fire?
YUSUFALI: Those who had been arrogant will say: "We are all in this (Fire)! Truly, Allah has judged between (his) Servants!"
PICKTHAL: Those who were proud say: Lo! we are all (together) herein. Lo! Allah hath judged between (His) slaves.
SHAKIR: Those who were proud shall say: Surely we are all in it: surely Allah has judged between the servants.
YUSUFALI: Those in the Fire will say to the Keepers of Hell: "Pray to your Lord to lighten us the Penalty for a day (at least)!"
PICKTHAL: And those in the Fire say unto the guards of hell: Entreat your Lord that He relieve us of a day of the torment.
SHAKIR: And those who are in the fire shall say to the keepers of hell: Call upon your Lord that He may lighten to us one day of the punishment.
YUSUFALI: They will say: "Did there not come to you your messengers with Clear Signs?" They will say, "Yes". They will reply, "Then pray (as ye like)! But the prayer of those without Faith is nothing but (futile wandering) in (mazes of) error!"
PICKTHAL: They say: Came not your messengers unto you with clear proofs? They say: Yea, verily. They say: Then do ye pray, although the prayer of disbelievers is in vain.
SHAKIR: They shall say: Did not your messengers come to you with clear arguments? They shall say: Yea. They shall say: Then call. And the call of the unbelievers is only in error.
40 : 51
51. Inna lanansuru rusulana waallatheena amanoo fee alhayati alddunya wayawma yaqoomu al-ashhadu
Verily We help Our messengers and the believers in this world as well as on the Day when the witnesses come forward!
40 : 52
52. Yawma la yanfaAAu alththalimeena maAAthiratuhum walahumu allaAAnatu walahum soo-o alddari
The Day when excuses of repudiators will not avail them! And on them are all the curses and for them is the evil abode!
40 : 53
53. Walaqad atayna moosa alhuda waawrathna banee isra-eela alkitaba
And verily We gave Moses the Guidance and We made the Children of Israel heirs to the Scripture -
40 : 54
54. Hudan wathikra li-olee al-albabi
A beacon and an admonition for men of wisdom!
40 : 55
55. Faisbir inna waAAda Allahi haqqun waistaghfir lithanbika wasabbih bihamdi rabbika bialAAashiyyi waal-ibkari
Then have patience (O Mohammed), for verily the promise of Allah will come true! And seek forgiveness for your sins and hymn the praise of your Lord at dusk and at dawn!
40 : 56
56. Inna allatheena yujadiloona fee ayati Allahi bighayri sultanin atahum in fee sudoorihim illa kibrun ma hum bibaligheehi faistaAAith biAllahi innahu huwa alssameeAAu albaseeru
Verily those who altercate over the revelations of Allah without having received a sanction towards it have nothing in their hearts other than vanity which they will never be able to satisfy. So seek you the protection of Allah, for He alone hears and knows everything!
40 : 57
57. Lakhalqu alssamawati waal-ardi akbaru min khalqi alnnasi walakinna akthara alnnasi la yaAAlamoona
Verily the Creation of the heavens and the earth is far more momentous than the Creation of mankind! But most of mankind know this not.
40 : 58
58. Wama yastawee al-aAAma waalbaseeru waallatheena amanoo waAAamiloo alssalihati wala almusee-o qaleelan ma tatathakkaroona
He who is blind and he who can see are not alike, nor are those who believe and do good deeds and those who perpetrate evil. How scantily do they introspect!
40 : 59
59. Inna alssaAAata laatiyatun la rayba feeha walakinna akthara alnnasi la yu/minoona
The Hour will surely culminate and there is no question of doubt about it, though most of mankind believe it not!
40 : 60
60. Waqala rabbukumu odAAoonee astajib lakum inna allatheena yastakbiroona AAan AAibadatee sayadkhuloona jahannama dakhireena
Your Lord has said : 'Pray to Me and I shall grant your prayers!' Verily those who are averse to My worship will enter hell in sheer disgrace! (R)
OTHER TRANSLATIONS BY MUHSIN, YUSUFALI, PICKTHAL AND SHAKIR:
51. Verily, We will indeed make victorious Our Messengers and those who believe (in the Oneness of Allâh Islâmic Monotheism) in this world's life and on the Day when the witnesses will stand forth, (i.e. Day of Resurrection),
52. The Day when their excuses will be of no profit to Zâlimûn (polytheists, wrong-doers and disbelievers in the Oneness of Allâh). Theirs will be the curse, and theirs will be the evil abode (i.e. painful torment in Hell-fire).
53. And, indeed We gave Mûsa (Moses) the guidance, and We caused the Children of Israel to inherit the Scripture [i.e. the Taurât (Torah)],
54. A guide and a reminder for men of understanding.
55. So be patient (O Muhammad SAW). Verily, the Promise of Allâh is true, and ask forgiveness for your fault, and glorify the praises of your Lord in the Ashi (i.e. the time period after the midnoon till sunset) and in the Ibkâr (i.e. the time period from early morning or sunrise till before midnoon) [it is said that, that means the five compulsory congregational Salât (prayers) or the 'Asr and Fajr prayers].
56. Verily, those who dispute about the Ayât (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.) of Allâh, without any authority having come to them, there is nothing else in their breasts except pride [to accept you (Muhammad SAW) as a Messenger of Allâh and to obey you]. They will never have it (i.e. Prophethood which Allâh has bestowed upon you). So seek refuge in Allâh (O Muhammad SAW from the arrogants). Verily, it is He Who is the All-Hearer, the All-Seer.
57. The creation of the heavens and the earth is indeed greater than the creation of mankind, yet most of mankind know not.
58. And not equal are the blind and those who see, nor are (equal) those who believe (in the Oneness of Allâh Islâmic Monotheism), and do righteous good deeds, and those who do evil. Little do you remember!
59. Verily, the Hour (Day of Judgement) is surely coming, therein is no doubt, yet most men believe not.
60. And your Lord said: "Invoke Me, [i.e. believe in My Oneness (Islâmic Monotheism)] (and ask Me for anything) I will respond to your (invocation). Verily! Those who scorn My worship [i.e. do not invoke Me, and do not believe in My Oneness, (Islâmic Monotheism)] they will surely enter Hell in humiliation!"
YUSUFALI: We will, without doubt, help our messengers and those who believe, (both) in this world's life and on the Day when the Witnesses will stand forth,-
PICKTHAL: Lo! We verily do help Our messengers, and those who believe, in the life of the world and on the day when the witnesses arise,
SHAKIR: Most surely We help Our messengers, and those who believe, in this world's life and on the day when the witnesses shall stand
YUSUFALI: The Day when no profit will it be to Wrong-doers to present their excuses, but they will (only) have the Curse and the Home of Misery.
PICKTHAL: The day when their excuse availeth not the evil-doers, and theirs is the curse, and theirs the ill abode.
SHAKIR: The day on which their excuse shall not benefit the unjust, and for them is curse and for them is the evil abode.
YUSUFALI: We did aforetime give Moses the (Book of) Guidance, and We gave the book in inheritance to the Children of Israel,-
PICKTHAL: And We verily gave Moses the guidance, and We caused the Children of Israel to inherit the Scripture,
SHAKIR: And certainly We gave Musa the guidance, and We made the children of Israel inherit the Book,
YUSUFALI: A Guide and a Message to men of Understanding.
PICKTHAL: A guide and a reminder for men of understanding.
SHAKIR: A guidance and a reminder to the men of understanding.
YUSUFALI: Patiently, then, persevere: for the Promise of Allah is true: and ask forgiveness for thy fault, and celebrate the Praises of thy Lord in the evening and in the morning.
PICKTHAL: Then have patience (O Muhammad). Lo! the promise of Allah is true. And ask forgiveness of thy sin, and hymn the praise of thy Lord at fall of night and in the early hours.
SHAKIR: Therefore be patient; surely the promise of Allah is true; and ask protection for your fault and sing the praise of your Lord in the evening and the morning.
YUSUFALI: Those who dispute about the signs of Allah without any authority bestowed on them,- there is nothing in their breasts but (the quest of) greatness, which they shall never attain to: seek refuge, then, in Allah: It is He Who hears and sees (all things).
PICKTHAL: Lo! those who wrangle concerning the revelations of Allah without a warrant having come unto them, there is naught else in their breasts save pride which they will never attain. So take thou refuge in Allah. Lo! He, only He, is the Hearer, the Seer.
SHAKIR: Surely (as for) those who dispute about the communications of Allah without any authority that has come to them, there is naught in their breasts but (a desire) to become great which they shall never attain to; Therefore seek refuge in Allah, surely He is the Hearing, the Seeing.
YUSUFALI: Assuredly the creation of the heavens and the earth is a greater (matter) than the creation of men: Yet most men understand not.
PICKTHAL: Assuredly the creation of the heavens and the earth is greater than the creation of mankind; but most of mankind know not.
SHAKIR: Certainly the creation of the heavens and the earth is greater than the creation of the men, but most people do not know
YUSUFALI: Not equal are the blind and those who (clearly) see: Nor are (equal) those who believe and work deeds of righteousness, and those who do evil. Little do ye learn by admonition!
PICKTHAL: And the blind man and the seer are not equal, neither are those who believe and do good works (equal with) the evil-doer. Little do ye reflect!
SHAKIR: And the blind and the seeing are not alike, nor those who believe and do good and the evil-doer; little is it that you are mindful.
YUSUFALI: The Hour will certainly come: Therein is no doubt: Yet most men believe not.
PICKTHAL: Lo! the Hour is surely coming, there is no doubt thereof; yet most of mankind believe not.
SHAKIR: Most surely the hour is coming, there is no doubt therein, but most people do not believe.
YUSUFALI: And your Lord says: "Call on Me; I will answer your (Prayer): but those who are too arrogant to serve Me will surely find themselves in Hell - in humiliation!"
PICKTHAL: And your Lord hath said: Pray unto Me and I will hear your prayer. Lo! those who scorn My service, they will enter hell, disgraced.
SHAKIR: And your Lord says: Call upon Me, I will answer you; surely those who are too proud for My service shall soon enter hell abased
40 : 61
61. Allahu allathee jaAAala lakumu allayla litaskunoo feehi waalnnahara mubsiran inna Allaha lathoo fadlin AAala alnnasi walakinna akthara alnnasi la yashkuroona
And Allah it is who has appointed for you the night so that you may rest therein and the day for you to be awake. Verily Allah has many a benefaction for mankind, yet most of mankind tender not their gratitude!
40 : 62
62. Thalikumu Allahu rabbukum khaliqu kulli shay-in la ilaha illa huwa faanna tu/fakoona
Such is Allah, your Lord, the Creator of all things! There is no God save Him. Why then are you turning away?
40 : 63
63. Kathalika yu/faku allatheena kanoo bi-ayati Allahi yajhadoona
Those who turn away are those who vituperate the revelations of Allah!
40 : 64
64. Allahu allathee jaAAala lakumu al-arda qararan waalssamaa binaan wasawwarakum faahsana suwarakum warazaqakum mina alttayyibati thalikumu Allahu rabbukum fatabaraka Allahu rabbu alAAalameena
Allah it is who made the earth a place of repose for you and made the sky an awning over it; He moulded your physique, designed your features, gave them ocular beauty and made available to you a salubrious provision! Such is Allah, your Lord! So blessed be Allah, Lord of the Worlds!
40 : 65
65. Huwa alhayyu la ilaha illa huwa faodAAoohu mukhliseena lahu alddeena alhamdu lillahi rabbi alAAalameena
He is the Living One! There is no other God except Him, so worship none but Him, making religion pure for Him only. Glory be to Allah, Lord of the Worlds!
40 : 66
66. Qul innee nuheetu an aAAbuda allatheena tadAAoona min dooni Allahi lamma jaaniya albayyinatu min rabbee waomirtu an oslima lirabbi alAAalameena
Say (O Mohammed) : 'I am forbidden to worship those whom you worship instead of Allah, now that clear signs have come to me from my Lord, and I am commanded to bow my head only before the Lord of the Worlds!'
40 : 67
67. Huwa allathee khalaqakum min turabin thumma min nutfatin thumma min AAalaqatin thumma yukhrijukum tiflan thumma litablughoo ashuddakum thumma litakoonoo shuyookhan waminkum man yutawaffa min qablu walitablughoo ajalan musamman walaAAallakum taAAqiloona
He it is who has created you from dust, then from a drop of seed, then from a clot of blood, then He brings you forth in the form of an infant, then determines whether or not you reach your prime so that you then pass into senility, though some among you die before that, and so that you sojourn for a set duration and so that perchance you may understand!
40 : 68
68. Huwa allathee yuhyee wayumeetu fa-itha qada amran fa-innama yaqoolu lahu kun fayakoonu
He it is who gives you life and then gives you death; and when He wishes a thing to occur, all He says to it is : 'Be' and it is! (R)
OTHER TRANSLATIONS BY MUHSIN, YUSUFALI, PICKTHAL AND SHAKIR:
61. Allâh, it is He Who has made the night for you that you may rest therein and the day for you to see. Truly, Allâh is full of Bounty to mankind, yet most of mankind give no thanks.
62. That is Allâh, your Lord, the Creator of all things, Lâ ilâha illa Huwa (none has the right to be worshipped but He), where then you are turning away (from Allâh, by worshipping others instead of Him)!
63. Thus were turned away those who used to deny the Ayât (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.) of Allâh.
64. Allâh, it is He Who has made for you the earth as a dwelling place and the sky as a canopy, and has given you shape and made your shapes good (looking) and has provided you with good things. That is Allâh, your Lord, then blessed be Allâh, the Lord of the 'Alamîn (mankind, jinns and all that exists).
65. He is the Ever Living, Lâ ilâha illa Huwa (none has the right to be worshipped but He), so invoke Him making your worship pure for Him Alone (by worshipping Him Alone, and none else, and by doing righteous deeds sincerely for Allâh's sake only, and not to show off, and not to set up rivals with Him in worship). All the praises and thanks be to Allâh, the Lord of the 'Alamîn (mankind, jinns and all that exists).
66. Say (O Muhammad SAW): "I have been forbidden to worship those whom you worship besides Allâh, since there have come to me evidences from my Lord, and I am commanded to submit (in Islâm) to the Lord of the 'Alamîn (mankind, jinns and all that exists).
67. He, it is Who has created you (Adam) from dust, then from a Nutfah [mixed semen drops of male and female discharge (i.e. Adam's offspring)] then from a clot (a piece of coagulated blood), then brings you forth as children, then (makes you grow) to reach the age of full strength, and afterwards to be old (men and women), though some among you die before, and that you reach an appointed term, in order that you may understand.
68. He it is Who gives life and causes death. And when He decides upon a thing He says to it only: "Be!" and it is.
YUSUFALI: It is Allah Who has made the Night for you, that ye may rest therein, and the days as that which helps (you) to see. Verily Allah is full of Grace and Bounty to men: yet most men give no thanks.
PICKTHAL: Allah it is Who hath appointed for you night that ye may rest therein, and day for seeing. Lo! Allah is a Lord of bounty for mankind, yet most of mankind give not thanks.
SHAKIR: Allah is He Who made for you the night that you may rest therein and the day to see; most surely Allah is Gracious to men, but most men do not give thanks.
YUSUFALI: Such is Allah, your Lord, the Creator of all things, there is no god but He: Then how ye are deluded away from the Truth!
PICKTHAL: Such is Allah, your Lord, the Creator of all things, There is no Allah save Him. How then are ye perverted?
SHAKIR: That is Allah, your Lord, the Creator of everything; there is no Allah but He; whence are you then turned away?
YUSUFALI: Thus are deluded those who are wont to reject the Signs of Allah.
PICKTHAL: Thus are they perverted who deny the revelations of Allah.
SHAKIR: Thus were turned away those who denied the communications of Allah.
YUSUFALI: It is Allah Who has made for you the earth as a resting place, and the sky as a canopy, and has given you shape- and made your shapes beautiful,- and has provided for you Sustenance, of things pure and good;- such is Allah your Lord. So Glory to Allah, the Lord of the Worlds!
PICKTHAL: Allah it is Who appointed for you the earth for a dwelling-place and the sky for a canopy, and fashioned you and perfected your shapes, and hath provided you with good things. Such is Allah, your Lord. Then blessed be Allah, the Lord of the Worlds!
SHAKIR: Allah is He Who made the earth a resting-place for you and the heaven a canopy, and He formed you, then made goodly your forms, and He provided you with goodly things; that is Allah, your Lord; blessed then is Allah, the Lord of the worlds.
YUSUFALI: He is the Living (One): There is no god but He: Call upon Him, giving Him sincere devotion. Praise be to Allah, Lord of the Worlds!
PICKTHAL: He is the Living One. There is no Allah save Him. So pray unto Him, making religion pure for Him (only). Praise be to Allah, the Lord of the Worlds!
SHAKIR: He is the Living, there is no god but He, therefore call on Him, being sincere to Him in obedience; (all) praise is due to Allah, the Lord of the worlds.
YUSUFALI: Say: "I have been forbidden to invoke those whom ye invoke besides Allah,- seeing that the Clear Signs have come to me from my Lord; and I have been commanded to bow (in Islam) to the Lord of the Worlds."
PICKTHAL: Say (O Muhammad): I am forbidden to worship those unto whom ye cry beside Allah since there have come unto me clear proofs from my Lord, and I am commanded to surrender to the Lord of the Worlds.
SHAKIR: Say: I am forbidden to serve those whom you call upon besides Allah when clear arguments have come to me from my Lord, and I am commanded that I should submit to the Lord of the worlds.
YUSUFALI: It is He Who has created you from dust then from a sperm-drop, then from a leech-like clot; then does he get you out (into the light) as a child: then lets you (grow and) reach your age of full strength; then lets you become old,- though of you there are some who die before;- and lets you reach a Term appointed; in order that ye may learn wisdom.
PICKTHAL: He it is Who created you from dust, then from a drop (of seed) then from a clot, then bringeth you forth as a child, then (ordaineth) that ye attain full strength and afterward that ye become old men - though some among you die before - and that ye reach an appointed term, that haply ye may understand.
SHAKIR: He it is Who created you from dust, then from a small lifegerm, then from a clot, then He brings you forth as a child, then that you may attain your maturity, then that you may be old-- and of you there are some who are caused to die before-- and that you may reach an appointed term, and that you may understand.
YUSUFALI: It is He Who gives Life and Death; and when He decides upon an affair, He says to it, "Be", and it is.
PICKTHAL: He it is Who quickeneth and giveth death. When He ordaineth a thing, He saith unto it only: Be! and it is.
SHAKIR: He it is Who gives life and brings death, so when He decrees an affair, He only says to it: Be, and it is.
40 : 69
69. Alam tara ila allatheena yujadiloona fee ayati Allahi anna yusrafoona
Seen you not those who squabble concerning the revelations of Allah, to what extent they are depriving themselves?
40 : 70
70. Allatheena kaththaboo bialkitabi wabima arsalna bihi rusulana fasawfa yaAAlamoona
Those who have refuted the Scripture and that with which We send Our messengers will come to know -
40 : 71
71. Ithi al-aghlalu fee aAAnaqihim waalssalasilu yushaboona
When they wear shackles around their necks and are dragged with chains -
40 : 72
72. Fee alhameemi thumma fee alnnari yusjaroona
Through boiling streams, and are then cast into the fierce flames!
40 : 73
73. Thumma qeela lahum ayna ma kuntum tushrikoona
Then it is said to them : 'Where have they gone, - those whom you used to treat as rivals -
40 : 74
74. Min dooni Allahi qaloo dalloo AAanna bal lam nakun nadAAoo min qablu shay-an kathalika yudillu Allahu alkafireena
In opposition to Allah? They say : 'They are now lost to us! Nay, we worshipped not anyone ever before!' Thus does Allah lead astray the disbelievers.
40 : 75
75. Thalikum bima kuntum tafrahoona fee al-ardi bighayri alhaqqi wabima kuntum tamrahoona
(And it is said to them) : 'This is in retaliation for being self conceited on the earth without any justification and for your malevolence.
40 : 76
76. Odkhuloo abwaba jahannama khalideena feeha fabi/sa mathwa almutakabbireena
Enter now the gates of hell to dwell in it forever! How wretched is the destination for the vainglorious!
40 : 77
77. Faisbir inna waAAda Allahi haqqun fa-imma nuriyannaka baAAda allathee naAAiduhum aw natawaffayannaka fa-ilayna yurjaAAoona
So be patient (O Mohammed) for verily the promise of Allah is true! And whether We let you witness a sample of that which We have guaranteed for them or cause you to die before that, they would still be brought back to Us!
40 : 78
78. Walaqad arsalna rusulan min qablika minhum man qasasna AAalayka waminhum man lam naqsus AAalayka wama kana lirasoolin an ya/tiya bi-ayatin illa bi-ithni Allahi fa-itha jaa amru Allahi qudiya bialhaqqi wakhasira hunalika almubtiloona
And verily We did send many a messenger before you; among them are some about whom We have told you and some about whom We have not told you. Yet never was it within the means of any messenger to bring a portent except by Allah's leave. And when the Commandment of Allah comes to pass, the issue would be adjudicated with truth and the mendacious would have to succumb. (R)
OTHER TRANSLATIONS BY MUHSIN, YUSUFALI, PICKTHAL AND SHAKIR:
69. See you not those who dispute about the Ayât (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.) of Allâh? How are they turning away (from the truth, i.e. Islâmic Monotheism to the falsehood of polytheism)?
70. Those who deny the Book (this Qur'ân), and that with which We sent Our Messengers (i.e. to worship none but Allâh Alone sincerely, and to reject all false deities and to confess resurrection after the death for recompense) they will come to know (when they will be cast into the Fire of Hell).
71. When iron collars will be rounded over their necks, and the chains, they shall be dragged along.
72. In the boiling water, then they will be burned in the Fire.
73. Then it will be said to them: "Where are (all) those whom you used to join in worship as partners
74. "Besides Allâh" They will say: "They have vanished from us: Nay, we did not invoke (worship) anything before." Thus Allâh leads astray the disbelievers.
75. That was because you had been exulting in the earth without any right (by worshipping others instead of Allâh and by committing crimes), and that you used to rejoice extremely (in your error).
76. Enter the gates of Hell to abide therein, and (indeed) what an evil abode of the arrogant!
77. So be patient (O Muhammad SAW), verily, the Promise of Allâh is true, and whether We show you (O Muhammad SAW in this world) some part of what We have promised them, or We cause you to die, then it is to Us they all shall be returned.
78. And, indeed We have sent Messengers before you (O Muhammad SAW); of some of them We have related to you their story and of some We have not related to you their story, and it was not given to any Messenger that he should bring a sign except by the Leave of Allâh. So, when comes the Commandment of Allâh, the matter will be decided with truth, and the followers of falsehood will then be lost.
YUSUFALI: Seest thou not those that dispute concerning the Signs of Allah? How are they turned away (from Reality)?-
PICKTHAL: Hast thou not seen those who wrangle concerning the revelations of Allah, how they are turned away? -
SHAKIR: Have you not seen those who dispute with respect to the communications of Allah: how are they turned away?
YUSUFALI: Those who reject the Book and the (revelations) with which We sent our messengers: but soon shall they know,-
PICKTHAL: Those who deny the Scripture and that wherewith We send Our messengers. But they will come to know,
SHAKIR: Those who reject the Book and that with which We have sent Our Messenger; but they shall soon come to know,
YUSUFALI: When the yokes (shall be) round their necks, and the chains; they shall be dragged along-
PICKTHAL: When carcans are about their necks and chains. They are dragged
SHAKIR: When the fetters and the chains shall be on their necks; they shall be dragged
YUSUFALI: In the boiling fetid fluid: then in the Fire shall they be burned;
PICKTHAL: Through boiling waters; then they are thrust into the Fire.
SHAKIR: Into boiling water, then in the fire shall they be burned;
YUSUFALI: Then shall it be said to them: "Where are the (deities) to which ye gave part-worship-
PICKTHAL: Then it is said unto them: Where are (all) that ye used to make partners (in the Sovereignty)
SHAKIR: Then shall it be said to them: Where is that which you used to set up
YUSUFALI: "In derogation of Allah?" They will reply: "They have left us in the lurch: Nay, we invoked not, of old, anything (that had real existence)." Thus does Allah leave the Unbelievers to stray.
PICKTHAL: Beside Allah? They say: They have failed us; but we used not to pray to anything before. Thus doth Allah send astray the disbelievers (in His guidance).
SHAKIR: Besides Allah? They shall say: They are gone away from us, nay, we used not to call upon anything before. Thus does Allah confound the unbelievers.
YUSUFALI: "That was because ye were wont to rejoice on the earth in things other than the Truth, and that ye were wont to be insolent.
PICKTHAL: (And it is said unto them): This is because ye exulted in the earth without right, and because ye were petulant.
SHAKIR: That is because you exulted in the land unjustly and because you behaved insolently.
YUSUFALI: "Enter ye the gates of Hell, to dwell therein: and evil is (this) abode of the arrogant!"
PICKTHAL: Enter ye the gates of hell, to dwell therein. Evil is the habitation of the scornful.
SHAKIR: Enter the gates of hell to abide therein, evil then is the abode of the proud.
YUSUFALI: So persevere in patience; for the Promise of Allah is true: and whether We show thee (in this life) some part of what We promise them,- or We take thy soul (to Our Mercy) (before that),-(in any case) it is to Us that they shall (all) return.
PICKTHAL: Then have patience (O Muhammad). Lo! the promise of Allah is true. And whether we let thee see a part of that which We promise them, or (whether) We cause thee to die, still unto Us they will be brought back.
SHAKIR: So be patient, surely the promise of Allah is true. So should We make you see part of what We threaten them with, or should We cause you to die, to Us shall they be returned.
YUSUFALI: We did aforetime send messengers before thee: of them there are some whose story We have related to thee, and some whose story We have not related to thee. It was not (possible) for any messenger to bring a sign except by the leave of Allah: but when the Command of Allah issued, the matter was decided in truth and justice, and there perished, there and then those who stood on Falsehoods.
PICKTHAL: Verily We sent messengers before thee, among them those of whom We have told thee, and some of whom We have not told thee; and it was not given to any messenger that he should bring a portent save by Allah's leave, but when Allah's commandment cometh (the cause) is judged aright, and the followers of vanity will then be lost.
SHAKIR: And certainly We sent messengers before you: there are some of them that We have mentioned to you and there are others whom We have not mentioned to you, and it was not meet for a messenger that he should bring a sign except with Allah's permission, but when the command of Allah came, judgment was given with truth, and those who treated (it) as a lie were lost.
40 : 79
79. Allahu allathee jaAAala lakumu al-anAAama litarkaboo minha waminha ta/kuloona
Allah it is Who has created for you cattle, so that you may ride on some and eat of some -
40 : 80
80. Walakum feeha manafiAAu walitablughoo AAalayha hajatan fee sudoorikum waAAalayha waAAala alfulki tuhmaloona
And may derive many other benefits from them and may pursue by their means the missions which your hearts cherish and travel on their backs on land as you travel on ships in water!
40 : 81
81. Wayureekum ayatihi faayya ayati Allahi tunkiroona
He shows you His multifarious tokens! So which then of the tokens of Allah do you purport to oppugn?
40 : 82
82. Afalam yaseeroo fee al-ardi fayanthuroo kayfa kana AAaqibatu allatheena min qablihim kanoo akthara minhum waashadda quwwatan waatharan fee al-ardi fama aghna AAanhum ma kanoo yaksiboona
Have they not travelled in land and seen for themselves what became of those before them? In numbers they were more prolific, and in strength mightier, - and from the traces which they have left behind, they were also richer than these! Yet whatever they achieved availed them not!
40 : 83
83. Falamma jaat-hum rusuluhum bialbayyinati farihoo bima AAindahum mina alAAilmi wahaqa bihim ma kanoo bihi yastahzi-oona
And even when their messengers brought to them vivid portents to the contrary, they prided in the trivial knowledge which they possessed! But that which they used to spurn led to their own ruination!
40 : 84
84. Falamma raaw ba/sana qaloo amanna biAllahi wahdahu wakafarna bima kunna bihi mushrikeena
Then, when they witnessed the scale of Our retribution, they said : 'We believe in Allah to the exclusion of all else and hereby abjure that which we used to associate with Him!
40 : 85
85. Falam yaku yanfaAAuhum eemanuhum lamma raaw ba/sana sunnata Allahi allatee qad khalat fee AAibadihi wakhasira hunalika alkafiroona
But their faith after they saw Our doom availed them not. Such is Allah's law which has taken course over all His bondsmen and the disbelievers are no exceptions to it! (R)
OTHER TRANSLATIONS BY MUHSIN, YUSUFALI, PICKTHAL AND SHAKIR:
79. Allâh, it is He Who has made cattle for you, that you may ride on some of them and of some you eat.
80. And you have (many other) benefits from them, and that you may reach by their means a desire that is in your breasts (i.e. carry your goods, loads, etc.), and on them and on ships you are carried.
81. And He shows you His Signs and Proofs (of His Oneness in all the above mentioned things). Which, then of the Signs and Proofs of Allâh do you deny?
82. Have they not travelled through the earth and seen what was the end of those before them? They were more numerous than them and mightier in strength, and in the traces (they have left behind them) in the land, yet all that they used to earn availed them not.
83. Then when their Messengers came to them with clear proofs, they were glad (and proud) with that which they had of the knowledge (of worldly things): And that at which they used to mock, surrounded them (i.e. the punishment).
84. So when they saw Our punishment, they said: "We believe in Allâh Alone and reject (all) that we used to associate with Him as (His) partners.
85. Then their Faith (in Islâmic Monotheism) could not avail them when they saw Our punishment. (Like) this has been the way of Allâh in dealing with His slaves. And there the disbelievers lost utterly (when Our Torment covered them).
YUSUFALI: It is Allah Who made cattle for you, that ye may use some for riding and some for food;
PICKTHAL: Allah it is Who hath appointed for you cattle, that ye may ride on some of them, and eat of some -
SHAKIR: Allah is He Who made the cattle for you that you may ride on some of them, and some of them you eat.
YUSUFALI: And there are (other) advantages in them for you (besides); that ye may through them attain to any need (there may be) in your hearts; and on them and on ships ye are carried.
PICKTHAL: (Many) benefits ye have from them - and that ye may satisfy by their means a need that is in your breasts, and may be borne upon them as upon the ship.
SHAKIR: And there are advantages for you in them, and that you may attain thereon a want which is in your breasts, and upon them and upon the ships you are borne.
YUSUFALI: And He shows you (always) His Signs: then which of the Signs of Allah will ye deny?
PICKTHAL: And He showeth you His tokens. Which, then, of the tokens of Allah do ye deny?
SHAKIR: And He shows you His signs: which then of Allah's signs will you deny?
YUSUFALI: Do they not travel through the earth and see what was the End of those before them? They were more numerous than these and superior in strength and in the traces (they have left) in the land: Yet all that they accomplished was of no profit to them.
PICKTHAL: Have they not travelled in the land to see the nature of the consequence for those before them? They were more numerous than these, and mightier in power and (in the) traces (which they left behind them) in the earth. But all that they used to earn availed them not.
SHAKIR: Have they not then journeyed in the land and seen how was the end of those before them? They were more (in numbers) than these and greater in strength and in fortifications in the land, but what they earned did not avail them.
YUSUFALI: For when their messengers came to them with Clear Signs, they exulted in such knowledge (and skill) as they had; but that very (Wrath) at which they were wont to scoff hemmed them in.
PICKTHAL: And when their messengers brought them clear proofs (of Allah's Sovereignty) they exulted in the knowledge they (themselves) possessed. And that which they were wont to mock befell them.
SHAKIR: Then when their messengers came to them with clear arguments, they exulted in what they had with them of knowledge, and there beset them that which they used to mock.
YUSUFALI: But when they saw Our Punishment, they said: "We believe in Allah,- the one Allah - and we reject the partners we used to join with Him."
PICKTHAL: Then, when they saw Our doom, they said: We believe in Allah only and reject (all) that we used to associate (with Him).
SHAKIR: But when they saw Our punishment, they said: We believe in Allah alone and we deny what we used to associate with Him.
YUSUFALI: But their professing the Faith when they (actually) saw Our Punishment was not going to profit them. (Such has been) Allah's Way of dealing with His Servants (from the most ancient times). And even thus did the Rejecters of Allah perish (utterly)!
PICKTHAL: But their faith could not avail them when they saw Our doom. This is Allah's law which hath ever taken course for His bondmen. And then the disbelievers will be ruined.
SHAKIR: But their belief was not going to profit them when they had seen Our punishment; (this is) Allah's law, which has indeed obtained in the matter of His servants, and there the unbelievers are lost.