This Surah consists of 54 verses, 833 sentences, 1,512 letters and 6 Ruku's
It takes its name from verse 15 in which the word Saba has occurred which implies that it is the Sura in which mention has been made of Saba (i. e. the Sabaeans).
The exact period of its revelation is not known from any reliable tradiiion. However the style shows that it is either the middle or the early Makkan period. If it is the middle period it was probably its initial stage when the persecution had not yet become tyrannical and the Islamic movement was being suppressed only by resort to derision and ridicule rumour mongering false allegations and casting of evil suggestions in the people's minds.
The Surah deals with those objections of the disbelievers, which they were raising against the Holy Prophet's message of Tauhid and the Hereafter, and about his Prophethood itself, mostly in the form of absurd allegations and taunts and mockery. These objections have been answered, sometimes by citing them and sometimes without citing them, and the discourse itself shows which objection is being answered at a particular place. The answers mostly take the form of instruction and admonition and argument, but at some places the disbelievers have been warned also of the evil consequences, of their stubborness. In this connection, the stories of the Sabaeans and the Prophets David and Solomon have been related to impress this lesson: "You have both these historical precedents before you. On the one hand, there were the Prophets David and Solomon, who had been blessed by Allah with great powers and such grandeur and glory as had been granted to hardly any people before them.
In spite of this, they were not proud and arrogant, but remained grateful servants of their Lord. They were never rebellious. On the other hand, there were the people of Saba, who, when blessed by Allah, became proud, and were consequently so thoroughly destroyed and dispersed as to be remembered only in myths and legends. With these precedents in view, you may see and judge for yourselves as to which kind of the life is better: that which is built on belief in Tauhid and the Hereafter and the attitude of gratefulness to Allah, or that which is based on disbelief and shirk and denial of the Hereafter and the worship of the world."
IMPORTANT: Please note that the Digest is based upon these outstanding translations and they have been reproduced here for the benefit of serious readers of the Quríaan; the copyrights of these works are held by their respective authors/publishers from whom they can be purchased by anyone interested in acquiring them and we ardently hope that no offence will be taken by their inclusion.
Bismi Allahi alrrahmani alrraheemi
34 : 1
1. Alhamdu lillahi allathee lahu ma fee alssamawati wama fee al-ardi walahu alhamdu fee al-akhirati wahuwa alhakeemu alkhabeeru
Glory be to Allah to whom belongs whatever is in the heavens and whatever is upon the earth. His is the Adoration in the Hereafter and He is the Judicious and He is the Apprised!
34 : 2
2. YaAAlamu ma yaliju fee al-ardi wama yakhruju minha wama yanzilu mina alssama-i wama yaAAruju feeha wahuwa alrraheemu alghafooru
He knows whatever sinks into the earth and whatever emerges from it and whatever pours down from the heavens and whatever soars into them! He is the Meritorious and the Munificent!
34 : 3
3. Waqala allatheena kafaroo la ta/teena alssaAAatu qul bala warabbee lata/tiyannakum AAalimi alghaybi la yaAAzubu AAanhu mithqalu tharratin fee alssamawati wala fee al-ardi wala asgharu min thalika wala akbaru illa fee kitabin mubeenin
And the disbelievers say : 'The Hour will never come for us!' Say : 'Nay! By my Lord, it will surely be upon you soon! He is best apprised of the Hidden - and nothing is hidden from Him, - not even an atom's worth, be it in the heavens or be it on the earth, be it smaller than that or be it bigger, all of which is entered in a clear record -
34 : 4
4. Liyajziya allatheena amanoo waAAamiloo alssalihati ola-ika lahum maghfiratun warizqun kareemun
So that He may reward those who believe and perform righteous deeds! These are the ones for whom is salvation and a seemly provision.
34 : 5
5. Waallatheena saAAaw fee ayatina muAAajizeena ola-ika lahum AAathabun min rijzin aleemin
But for those who defy Our ordinances in order to defeat their purpose, there is for them a most unsparing and acerbic punishment.
34 : 6
6. Wayara allatheena ootoo alAAilma allathee onzila ilayka min rabbika huwa alhaqqa wayahdee ila sirati alAAazeezi alhameedi
And those who have been blessed with knowledge are well aware that whatever has been revealed to you from your Lord is the Truth which leads to the path of the most Venerated and the most Glorified!
34 : 7
7. Waqala allatheena kafaroo hal nadullukum AAala rajulin yunabbi-okum itha muzziqtum kulla mumazzaqin innakum lafee khalqin jadeedin
The disbelievers say : 'Shall we show you a man who bears the tidings that, after you have disintegrated and crumbled into dust, you will still be recreated all over again?'
34 : 8
8. Aftara AAala Allahi kathiban am bihi jinnatun bali allatheena la yu/minoona bial-akhirati fee alAAathabi waalddalali albaAAeedi
ĎHas he invented a lie concerning Allah or is there a madness in him?' Nay, but those who disbelieve in the Hereafter are in torment and irrecoverably lost!
34 : 9
9. Afalam yaraw ila ma bayna aydeehim wama khalfahum mina alssama-i waal-ardi in nasha/ nakhsif bihimu al-arda aw nusqit AAalayhim kisafan mina alssama-i inna fee thalika laayatan likulli AAabdin muneebin
Have they not seen what is in front of them and what is behind them of the heavens and of the earth? If We will, We can cause the earth to swallow them or hurtle upon them a cataclysm from heaven! Verily herein is a portent for every slave who turns to Allah for forgiveness! (R)
(The verse contains an implicit exhortation to all mankind to look around them and see how inescapably they are surrounded from all sides by the insurmountable barriers of Allah; no matter how far and how fast they can go, - in speeding trains, on mighty ships, in supersonic jets, in space conquering rockets, - there is no place they can go away to in order to escape their Lord; if they live, they live by the dictates of destiny He has assigned to them; and when they die, they go wherever His Command takes them! If He caused the earth to open up its bowels and swallow them, they have no power to stop it from happening; if He caused the sky to break apart and hurtle upon their heads, they possess nothing which could protect them against it; when storms rage, they are hopelessly vulnerable to them; when Edna roars and begins to spill its lava, they are aware of no means by which they can put a lid on it; and if rivers overflow and bring their floods towards them, they have no ability to change their course; this has happened in the past; this is happening now and will happen in the future!)
OTHER TRANSLATIONS BY MUHSIN, YUSUFALI, PICKTHAL AND SHAKIR:
1. All the praises and thanks be to All‚h, to Whom belongs all that is in the heavens and all that is in the earth. His is all the praises and thanks in the Hereafter, and He is the All≠Wise, the All≠Aware.
2. He knows that which goes into the earth and that which comes forth from it, and that which descend from the heaven and that which ascends to it. And He is the Most Merciful, the Oft≠Forgiving.
3. Those who disbelieve say: "The Hour will not come to us." Say: "Yes, by my Lord, it will come to you." (All‚h, He is) the All≠Knower of the unseen, not even the weight of an atom (or a small ant) or less than that or greater, escapes from His Knowledge in the heavens or in the earth, but it is in a Clear Book (Al≠Lauh Al≠MahfŻz).
4. That He may recompense those who believe (in the Oneness of All‚h Isl‚mic Monotheism) and do righteous good deeds. Those, theirs is forgiveness and Rizqun KarÓm (generous provision, i.e. Paradise).
5. But those who strive against Our Ay‚t (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.) to frustrate them, those, for them will be a severe painful torment.
6. And those who have been given knowledge see that what is revealed to you (O Muhammad SAW) from your Lord is the truth, and guides to the Path of the Exalted in Might, Owner of all praise.
7. Those who disbelieve say: "Shall we direct you to a man (Muhammad SAW) who will tell you (that) when you have become fully disintegrated into dust with full dispersion, then, you will be created (again) anew?"
8. Has he (Muhammad SAW) invented a lie against All‚h, or is there a madness in him? Nay, but those who disbelieve in the Hereafter are (themselves) in a torment, and in far error.
9. See they not what is before them and what is behind them, of the heaven and the earth? If We will, We shall sink the earth with them, or cause a piece of the heaven to fall upon them. Verily, in this is a sign for every faithful believer that [believes in the Oneness of All‚h], and turns to All‚h (in all affairs with humility and in repentance).
YUSUFALI: Praise be to Allah, to Whom belong all things in the heavens and on earth: to Him be Praise in the Hereafter: and He is Full of Wisdom, acquainted with all things.
PICKTHAL: Praise be to Allah, unto Whom belongeth whatsoever is in the heavens and whatsoever is in the earth. His is the praise in the Hereafter, and He is the Wise, the Aware.
SHAKIR: (All) praise is due to Allah, Whose is what is in the heavens and what is in the earth, and to Him is due (all) praise in the hereafter; and He is the Wise, the Aware.
YUSUFALI: He knows all that goes into the earth, and all that comes out thereof; all that comes down from the sky and all that ascends thereto and He is the Most Merciful, the Oft-Forgiving.
PICKTHAL: He knoweth that which goeth into the earth and that which cometh forth from it, and that descendeth from the heaven and that which ascendeth into it. He is the Merciful, the Forgiving.
SHAKIR: He knows that which goes down into the earth and that which comes out of it, and that which comes down from the heaven and that which goes up to it; and He is the Merciful, the Forgiving.
YUSUFALI: The Unbelievers say, "Never to us will come the Hour": Say, "Nay! but most surely, by my Lord, it will come upon you;- by Him Who knows the unseen,- from Whom is not hidden the least little atom in the heavens or on earth: Nor is there anything less than that, or greater, but is in the Record Perspicuous:
PICKTHAL: Those who disbelieve say: The Hour will never come unto us. Say: Nay, by my Lord, but it is coming unto you surely. (He is) the Knower of the Unseen. Not an atom's weight, or less than that or greater, escapeth Him in the heavens or in the earth, but it is in a clear Record,
SHAKIR: And those who disbelieve say: The hour shall not come upon us. Say: Yea! by my Lord, the Knower of the unseen, it shall certainly come upon you; not the weight of an atom becomes absent from Him, in the heavens or in the earth, and neither less than that nor greater, but (all) is in a clear book
YUSUFALI: That He may reward those who believe and work deeds of righteousness: for such is Forgiveness and a Sustenance Most Generous."
PICKTHAL: That He may reward those who believe and do good works. For them is pardon and a rich provision.
SHAKIR: That He may reward those who believe and do good; these it is for whom is forgiveness and an honorable sustenance.
YUSUFALI: But those who strive against Our Signs, to frustrate them,- for such will be a Penalty,- a Punishment most humiliating.
PICKTHAL: But those who strive against Our revelations, challenging (Us), theirs will be a painful doom of wrath.
SHAKIR: And (as for) those who strive hard in opposing Our communications, these it is for whom is a painful chastisement of an evil kind.
YUSUFALI: And those to whom knowledge has come see that the (Revelation) sent down to thee from thy Lord - that is the Truth, and that it guides to the Path of the Exalted (in might), Worthy of all praise.
PICKTHAL: Those who have been given knowledge see that what is revealed unto thee from thy Lord is the truth and leadeth unto the path of the Mighty, the Owner of Praise.
SHAKIR: And those to whom the knowledge has been given see that which has been revealed to you from your Lord, that is the truth, and it guides into the path of the Mighty, the Praised.
YUSUFALI: The Unbelievers say (in ridicule): "Shall we point out to you a man that will tell you, when ye are all scattered to pieces in disintegration, that ye shall (then be raised) in a New Creation?
PICKTHAL: Those who disbelieve say: Shall we show you a man who will tell you (that) when ye have become dispersed in dust with most complete dispersal still, even then, ye will be created anew?
SHAKIR: And those who disbelieve say: Shall we point out to you a man who informs you that when you are scattered the utmost scattering you shall then be most surely (raised) in (to) a new creation?
YUSUFALI: "Has he invented a falsehood against Allah, or has a spirit (seized) him?"- Nay, it is those who believe not in the Hereafter, that are in (real) Penalty, and in farthest error.
PICKTHAL: Hath he invented a lie concerning Allah, or is there in him a madness? Nay, but those who disbelieve in the Hereafter are in torment and far error.
SHAKIR: He has forged a lie against Allah or there is madness in him. Nay! those who do not believe in the hereafter are in torment and in great error.
YUSUFALI: See they not what is before them and behind them, of the sky and the earth? If We wished, We could cause the earth to swallow them up, or cause a piece of the sky to fall upon them. Verily in this is a Sign for every devotee that turns to Allah (in repentance).
PICKTHAL: Have they not observed what is before them and what is behind them of the sky and the earth? If We will, We can make the earth swallow them, or cause obliteration from the sky to fall on them. Lo! herein surely is a portent for every slave who turneth (to Allah) repentant.
SHAKIR: Do they not then consider what is before them and what is behind them of the heaven and the earth? If We please We will make them disappear in the land or bring down upon them a portion from the heaven; most surely there is a sign in this for every servant turning (to Allah).
34 : 10
10. Walaqad atayna dawooda minna fadlan ya jibalu awwibee maAAahu waalttayra waalanna lahu alhadeeda
And verily We gave David of Our grace saying : 'O you hills and birds! Echo along with him his psalms of praise!' And We caused iron to become pliable in his hand -
34 : 11
11. Ani iAAmal sabighatin waqaddir fee alssardi waiAAmaloo salihan innee bima taAAmaloona baseerun
Saying : 'Make armour with it, keeping the distance between links approximately the same. And pursue only that which is righteous, for verily I am watching over you!'
34 : 12
12. Walisulaymana alrreeha ghuduwwuha shahrun warawahuha shahrun waasalna lahu AAayna alqitri wamina aljinni man yaAAmalu bayna yadayhi bi-ithni rabbihi waman yazigh minhum AAan amrina nuthiqhu min AAathabi alssaAAeeri
And for Solomon We made the wind subservient which covered a month's journey in the mornings and a month's journey in the evenings. And We caused a fount of molten copper to gush forth for him and We gave him certain of the Jinn who worked for him by the leave of their Lord. And such of them who dared digress from Our command, We made them taste the torment of fire!
34 : 13
13. YaAAmaloona lahu ma yashao min mahareeba watamatheela wajifanin kaaljawabi waqudoorin rasiyatin iAAmaloo ala dawooda shukran waqaleelun min AAibadiya alshshakooru
They built for him whatever he wished, - temples and statues and vessels as big as lagoons and cauldrons sunken into the ground! So give thanks, O house of David! But very few of My creatures give thanks!
34 : 14
14. Falamma qadayna AAalayhi almawta ma dallahum AAala mawtihi illa dabbatu al-ardi ta/kulu minsaatahu falamma kharra tabayyanati aljinnu an law kanoo yaAAlamoona alghayba ma labithoo fee alAAathabi almuheeni
We decreed death for him, no signs of his death were shown to anyone save the
termites of the earth who chewed up his staff. And when he fell, the jinn
realized that, had they really known the Unseen, they would not have carried on
with their loathsome toils for so long even after he had died!
said that Solomon often spent day after day leaning on his staff and cogitating
over Allah, with his eyes shut and his mind in communion with the Lord. When the
moment of his death approached him, he prayed to Allah not to let anyone know he
had passed away so that the Jinn who worked for him and bragged about their
power to look into the future and predict the unseen were proved wrong. Hence,
by the command of Allah, even after the angels gathered his soul, he continued
to stand upright, leaning on the staff as though engrossed in prayer, until the
termite gnawed away the wood and caused it to collapse. Only then did his body
also come tumbling down, proving it to the Jinn that, if they were truly aware
of the hidden as they claimed to be, they would have known about his
death and stopped labouring for him at once)
34 : 15
15. Laqad kana lisaba-in fee maskanihim ayatun jannatani AAan yameenin washimalin kuloo min rizqi rabbikum waoshkuroo lahu baldatun tayyibatun warabbun ghafoorun
there was a portent for the tribe of Saba in their habitat : two gardens, one
towards their right and one towards their left, and it was said to them : 'Eat
of the provision of your Lord and tender your thanks to Him for giving you a
copious land and a lenient Lord!'
(Saba was an ancient Arab tribe, named after their chief Sheba, which once flourished on the borders between Yemen and Arabia. They were blessed by Allah with two copious gardens which bore enough yield to keep them well off by the Grace of the Lord. Apart from the fertile gardens, watered by naturally formed dams and embankments, the air was so pure that pests such as mosquitoes, flies, ticks, bugs, snakes and scorpions did not survive in its vicinity.
It is said that 13 Prophets were sent to them to preach the message of Allah admonishing them to acknowledge His favour and give him thanks, but they vituperated all of them and refused to accept the hegemony of the Lord. Their arrogance and denial brought upon them Divine chastisement as a result of which both gardens were destroyed when unexpected and unprecedented floods breached the embankments and inundated them. Eventually the gardens were replaced by dense wilderness which yielded nothing except wild berries that were pungent in taste and poisonous in nature)
34 : 16
16. FaaAAradoo faarsalna AAalayhim sayla alAAarimi wabaddalnahum bijannatayhim jannatayni thawatay okulin khamtin waathlin washay-in min sidrin qaleelin
vituperated, so We sent on them the formidable deluge of ĎArimí and swapped
their two gardens with two other gardens that bore only pungent fruit - the
Tamarisk and a random Lote!
reference here is to the Maírib dam in Yemen, measured to be approximately two
miles in length and 120 feet in height, the traces of which still exist).
34 : 17
17. Thalika jazaynahum bima kafaroo wahal nujazee illa alkafoora
That was the punishment We meted out to them in retaliation for their ingratitude! Punish We none save the ungrateful!
34 : 18
18. WajaAAalna baynahum wabayna alqura allatee barakna feeha quran thahiratan waqaddarna feeha alssayra seeroo feeha layaliya waayyaman amineena
located, in between their township and the other townships which We had blessed,
many more towns within reasonable distance of each other saying : 'Travel
therein by night or by day in complete safety!'
had flourished many a township alongside the road to Yemen and Syria passing
through Sheba, enabling the travellers to travel in safety and comfort, by day
as well as by night, breaking their journey as often as it suited them, spending
money on food and in the market places. The beneficiaries from this passing
trade being mostly merchants with limited financial resources, the capitalists
did not like the idea of their potential earnings passing into the hands of the
competition, and endeavoured to make the stages longer so that they could
monopolize the trade and weed out the opposition)
34 : 19
19. Faqaloo rabbana baAAid bayna asfarina wathalamoo anfusahum fajaAAalnahum ahadeetha wamazzaqnahum kulla mumazzaqin inna fee thalika laayatin likulli sabbarin shakoorin
But they said : 'Our Lord! Make the stage between our journey longer!' Thus they wronged themselves so We turned them into an adage for the future generations and disseminated them abroad in an irreversible dissemination! Verily herein there are portents for the persevering and the thankful!
34 : 20
20. Walaqad saddaqa AAalayhim ibleesu thannahu faittabaAAoohu illa fareeqan mina almu/mineena
Satan found his expectation about them to be true, for they followed him, all
but a few of them who were true believers.
Satan challenged Allah that, if he was reprieved until the Day of Judgement, he
would lead many amongst the seed of Adam astray, he did not have swords or whips
in mind. Temptation was to be his most potent weapon which he relentlessly used
on the gullible and sent them up the primrose path, except those who refused to
capitulate to his rosy promises).
34 : 21
21. Wama kana lahu AAalayhim min sultanin illa linaAAlama man yu/minu bial-akhirati mimman huwa minha fee shakkin warabbuka AAala kulli shay-in hafeethun
And Satan had no control over them except that We test the man who believes in the Hereafter from him who believes not in it. And your Lord (O Mohammed) has the real control over all things! (R)
OTHER TRANSLATIONS BY MUHSIN, YUSUFALI, PICKTHAL AND SHAKIR:
10. And indeed We bestowed grace on David from Us (saying): "O you mountains. Glorify (All‚h) with him! And you birds (also)! And We made the iron soft for him."
11. Saying: "Make you perfect coats of mail, balancing well the rings of chain armour, and work you (men) righteousness. Truly, I am All≠Seer of what you do."
12. And to Solomon (We subjected) the wind, its morning (stride from sunrise till midnoon) was a month's (journey), and its afternoon (stride from the midday decline of the sun to sunset) was a month's (journey i.e. in one day he could travel two months' journey). And We caused a fount of (molten) brass to flow for him, and there were jinns that worked in front of him, by the Leave of his Lord, and whosoever of them turned aside from Our Command, We shall cause him to taste of the torment of the blazing Fire.
13. They worked for him what he desired, (making) high rooms, images, basins as large as reservoirs, and (cooking) cauldrons fixed (in their places). "Work you, O family of D‚wud (David), with thanks!" But few of My slaves are grateful.
14. Then when We decreed death for him [Sulaim‚n (Solomon)], nothing informed them (jinns) of his death except a little worm of the earth, which kept (slowly) gnawing away at his stick, so when he fell down, the jinns saw clearly that if they had known the unseen, they would not have stayed in the humiliating torment.
15. Indeed there was for Saba' (Sheba) a sign in their dwelling place, - two gardens on the right hand and on the left (and it was said to them) "Eat of the provision of your Lord, and be grateful to Him, a fair land and an Oft≠Forgiving Lord.
16. But they turned away (from the obedience of All‚h), so We sent against them Sail Al≠'Arim (flood released from the dam), and We converted their two gardens into gardens producing bitter bad fruit, and tamarisks, and some few lote≠trees.
17. Like this We requited them because they were ungrateful disbelievers. And never do We requit in such a way except those who are ungrateful, (disbelievers).
18. And We placed between them and the towns which We had blessed, towns easy to be seen, and We made the stages (of journey) between them easy (saying): "Travel in them safely both by night and day."
19. But they said: "Our Lord! Make the stages between our journey longer," and they wronged themselves, so We made them as tales (in the land), and We dispersed them all, totally. Verily, in this are indeed signs for every steadfast grateful (person).
20. And indeed IblÓs (Satan) did prove true his thought about them, and they followed him, all except a group of true believers (in the Oneness of All‚h).
21. And he (IblÓs ≠ Satan) had no authority over them, except that We might test him, who believes in the Hereafter from him who is in doubt about it. And your Lord is a Hafiz over everything. (All≠Knower of everything i.e. He keeps record of each and every person as regards deeds, and then He will reward them accordingly).
YUSUFALI: We bestowed Grace aforetime on David from ourselves: "O ye Mountains! Sing ye back the Praises of Allah with him! and ye birds (also)! And We made the iron soft for him;-
PICKTHAL: And assuredly We gave David grace from Us, (saying): O ye hills and birds, echo his psalms of praise! And We made the iron supple unto him,
SHAKIR: And certainly We gave to Dawood excellence from Us: O mountains! sing praises with him, and the birds; and We made the iron pliant to him,
YUSUFALI: (Commanding), "Make thou coast of mail, balancing well the rings of chain armour, and work ye righteousness; for be sure I see (clearly) all that ye do."
PICKTHAL: Saying: Make thou long coats of mail and measure the links (thereof). And do ye right. Lo! I am Seer of what ye do.
SHAKIR: Saying: Make ample (coats of mail), and assign a time to the making of coats of mail and do good; surely I am Seeing what you do.
YUSUFALI: And to Solomon (We made) the Wind (obedient): Its early morning (stride) was a month's (journey), and its evening (stride) was a month's (journey); and We made a Font of molten brass to flow for him; and there were Jinns that worked in front of him, by the leave of his Lord, and if any of them turned aside from our command, We made him taste of the Penalty of the Blazing Fire.
PICKTHAL: And unto Solomon (We gave) the wind, whereof the morning course was a month's journey and the evening course a month's journey, and We caused the fount of copper to gush forth for him, and (We gave him) certain of the jinn who worked before him by permission of his Lord. And such of them as deviated from Our command, them We caused to taste the punishment of flaming Fire.
SHAKIR: And (We made) the wind (subservient) to Sulaiman, which made a month's journey in the morning and a month's journey m the evening, and We made a fountain of molten copper to flow out for him, and of the jinn there were those who worked before him by the command of his Lord; and whoever turned aside from Our command from among them, We made him taste of the punishment of burning.
YUSUFALI: They worked for him as he desired, (making) arches, images, basons as large as reservoirs, and (cooking) cauldrons fixed (in their places): "Work ye, sons of David, with thanks! but few of My servants are grateful!"
PICKTHAL: They made for him what he willed: synagogues and statues, basins like wells and boilers built into the ground. Give thanks, O House of David! Few of My bondmen are thankful.
SHAKIR: They made for him what he pleased of fortresses and images, and bowls (large) as watering-troughs and cooking-pots that will not move from their place; give thanks, O family of Dawood! and very few of My servants are grateful.
YUSUFALI: Then, when We decreed (Solomon's) death, nothing showed them his death except a little worm of the earth, which kept (slowly) gnawing away at his staff: so when he fell down, the Jinns saw plainly that if they had known the unseen, they would not have tarried in the humiliating Penalty (of their Task).
PICKTHAL: And when We decreed death for him, nothing showed his death to them save a creeping creature of the earth which gnawed away his staff. And when he fell the jinn saw clearly how, if they had known the Unseen, they would not have continued in despised toil.
SHAKIR: But when We decreed death for him, naught showed them his death but a creature of the earth that ate away his staff; and when it fell down, the jinn came to know plainly that if they had known the unseen, they would not have tarried in abasing torment.
YUSUFALI: There was, for Saba, aforetime, a Sign in their home-land - two Gardens to the right and to the left. "Eat of the Sustenance (provided) by your Lord, and be grateful to Him: a territory fair and happy, and a Lord Oft-Forgiving!
PICKTHAL: There was indeed a sign for Sheba in their dwelling-place: Two gardens on the right hand and the left (as who should say): Eat of the provision of your Lord and render thanks to Him. A fair land and an indulgent Lord!
SHAKIR: Certainly there was a sign for Saba in their abode; two gardens on the right and the left; eat of the sustenance of your Lord and give thanks to Him: a good land and a Forgiving Lord!
YUSUFALI: But they turned away (from Allah), and We sent against them the Flood (released) from the dams, and We converted their two garden (rows) into "gardens" producing bitter fruit, and tamarisks, and some few (stunted) Lote-trees.
PICKTHAL: But they were froward, so We sent on them the flood of 'Iram, and in exchange for their two gardens gave them two gardens bearing bitter fruit, the tamarisk and here and there a lote-tree.
SHAKIR: But they turned aside, so We sent upon them a torrent of which the rush could not be withstood, and in place of their two gardens We gave to them two gardens yielding bitter fruit and (growing) tamarisk and a few lote-trees.
YUSUFALI: That was the Requital We gave them because they ungratefully rejected Faith: and never do We give (such) requital except to such as are ungrateful rejecters.
PICKTHAL: This We awarded them because of their ingratitude. Punish We ever any save the ingrates?
SHAKIR: This We requited them with because they disbelieved; and We do not punish any but the ungrateful.
YUSUFALI: Between them and the Cities on which We had poured our blessings, We had placed Cities in prominent positions, and between them We had appointed stages of journey in due proportion: "Travel therein, secure, by night and by day."
PICKTHAL: And We set, between them and the towns which We had blessed, towns easy to be seen, and We made the stage between them easy, (saying): Travel in them safely both by night and day.
SHAKIR: And We made between them and the towns which We had blessed (other) towns to be easily seen, and We apportioned the journey therein: Travel through them nights and days, secure.
YUSUFALI: But they said: "Our Lord! Place longer distances between our journey-stages": but they wronged themselves (therein). At length We made them as a tale (that is told), and We dispersed them all in scattered fragments. Verily in this are Signs for every (soul that is) patiently constant and grateful.
PICKTHAL: But they said: Our Lord! Make the stage between our journeys longer. And they wronged themselves, therefore We made them bywords (in the land) and scattered them abroad, a total scattering. Lo! herein verily are portents for each steadfast, grateful (heart).
SHAKIR: And they said: O our Lord! make spaces to be longer between our journeys; and they were unjust to themselves so We made them stories and scattered them with an utter scattering; most surely there are signs in this for every patient, grateful one
YUSUFALI: And on them did Satan prove true his idea, and they followed him, all but a party that believed.
PICKTHAL: And Satan indeed found his calculation true concerning them, for they follow him, all save a group of true believers.
SHAKIR: And certainly the Shaitan found true his conjecture concerning them, so they follow him, except a party of the believers.
YUSUFALI: But he had no authority over them,- except that We might test the man who believes in the Hereafter from him who is in doubt concerning it: and thy Lord doth watch over all things.
PICKTHAL: And he had no warrant whatsoever against them, save that We would know him who believeth in the Hereafter from him who is in doubt thereof; and thy Lord (O Muhammad) taketh note of all things.
SHAKIR: And he has no authority over them, but that We may distinguish him who believes in the hereafter from him who is in doubt concerning it; and your Lord is the Preserver of all things
34 : 22
22. Quli odAAoo allatheena zaAAamtum min dooni Allahi la yamlikoona mithqala tharratin fee alssamawati wala fee al-ardi wama lahum feehima min shirkin wama lahu minhum min thaheerin
Say (O Mohammed) : 'Call upon those whom you consider to be the same as Allah! There is not an atom's worth in the heavens and on the earth which belongs to them, nor have they a share in either of these, nor has He chosen a cohort among them!'
34 : 23
23. Wala tanfaAAu alshshafaAAatu AAindahu illa liman athina lahu hatta itha fuzziAAa AAan quloobihim qaloo matha qala rabbukum qaloo alhaqqa wahuwa alAAaliyyu alkabeeru
No intercession avails with Him except for those to whom He has given leave! Yet, as soon as fear is gone from their hearts, one says to the other : 'What was it that your Lord said?' and the other says : 'The Truth!' And He alone is the most Exalted and Mighty!
34 : 24
24. Qul man yarzuqukum mina alssamawati waal-ardi quli Allahu wa-inna aw iyyakum laAAala hudan aw fee dalalin mubeenin
Say : 'Who gives you provision from the sky and the earth?' Say : 'Allah! Clearly one of us - we or you - are either rightly guided or in blatant error!'
34 : 25
25. Qul la tus-aloona AAamma ajramna wala nus-alu AAamma taAAmaloona
Say to them : 'You will not be questioned about our wrongdoing nor will we be questioned about your wrongdoing!'
34 : 26
26. Qul yajmaAAu baynana rabbuna thumma yaftahu baynana bialhaqqi wahuwa alfattahu alAAaleemu
Say to them : 'Our Lord will assemble us together and then He will judge between us with truth, for He is the greatest of Arbitrators and the most Erudite!'
34 : 27
27. Qul arooniya allatheena alhaqtum bihi shurakaa kalla bal huwa Allahu alAAazeezu alhakeemu
Say to then : 'Show me the partners whom you associate with Allah! Nay, you dare not, for He is Allah, the Meritorious and the Sagacious!
34 : 28
28. Wama arsalnaka illa kaffatan lilnnasi basheeran wanatheeran walakinna akthara alnnasi la yaAAlamoona
We have not sent you (O Mohammed) other than as a bearer of good tidings and a warner for all mankind, though most of mankind know it not!
34 : 29
29. Wayaqooloona mata hatha alwaAAdu in kuntum sadiqeena
And they say : 'When will this promise come to pass, if you are truthful?'
34 : 30
30. Qul lakum meeAAadu yawmin la tasta/khiroona AAanhu saAAatan wala tastaqdimoona
Say : 'For you is the promise of a Day which you would neither be able to delay nor hasten by one single flash!' (R)
OTHER TRANSLATIONS BY MUHSIN, YUSUFALI, PICKTHAL AND SHAKIR:
22. Say: (O Muhammad SAW to those polytheists, pagans, etc.) "Call upon those whom you assert (to be associate gods) besides All‚h, they possess not even the weight of an atom (or a small ant), either in the heavens or on the earth, nor have they any share in either, nor there is for Him any supporter from among them.
23. Intercession with Him profits not, except for him whom He permits. Until when fear is banished from their (angels') hearts, they (angels) say: "What is it that your Lord has said?" They say: "The truth. And He is the Most High, the Most Great."
24. Say (O Muhammad SAW to these polytheists, pagans, etc.) "Who gives you provision from the heavens and the earth?" Say: "All‚h, And verily, (either) we or you are rightly guided or in a plain error."
25. Say (O Muhammad SAW to these polytheists, pagans, etc.) "You will not be asked about our sins, nor shall we be asked of what you do."
26. Say: "Our Lord will assemble us all together (on the Day of Resurrection), then He will judge between us with truth. And He is the (Most Trustworthy) All≠Knowing Judge."
27. Say (O Muhammad SAW to these polytheists and pagans): "Show me those whom you have joined to Him as partners. Nay (there are not at all any partners with Him)! But He is All‚h (Alone), the All≠Mighty, the All≠Wise."
28. And We have not sent you (O Muhammad SAW) except as a giver of glad tidings and a warner to all mankind, but most of men know not.
29. And they say: "When is this promise (i.e. the Day of Resurrection will be fulfilled) if you are truthful?"
30. Say (O Muhammad SAW): "The appointment to you is for a Day, which you cannot put back for an hour (or a moment) nor put forward."
YUSUFALI: Say: "Call upon other (gods) whom ye fancy, besides Allah: They have no power,- not the weight of an atom,- in the heavens or on earth: No (sort of) share have they therein, nor is any of them a helper to Allah.
PICKTHAL: Say (O Muhammad): Call upon those whom ye set up beside Allah! They possess not an atom's weight either in the heavens or in the earth, nor have they any share in either, nor hath He an auxiliary among them.
SHAKIR: Say: Call upon those whom you assert besides Allah; they do not control the weight of an atom in the heavens or in the earth nor have they any partnership in either, nor has He among them any one to back (Him) up.
YUSUFALI: "No intercession can avail in His Presence, except for those for whom He has granted permission. So far (is this the case) that, when terror is removed from their hearts (at the Day of Judgment, then) will they say, 'what is it that your Lord commanded?' they will say, 'That which is true and just; and He is the Most High Most Great'."
PICKTHAL: No intercession availeth with Him save for him whom He permitteth. Yet, when fear is banished from their hearts, they say: What was it that your Lord said? They say: The Truth. And He is the Sublime, the Great.
SHAKIR: And intercession will not avail aught with Him save of him whom He permits. Until when fear shall be removed from their hearts, They shall say: What is it that your Lord said? They shall say: The truth. And He is the Most High, the Great.
YUSUFALI: Say: "Who gives you sustenance, from the heavens and the earth?" Say: "It is Allah; and certain it is that either we or ye are on right guidance or in manifest error!"
PICKTHAL: Say: Who giveth you provision from the sky and the earth? Say: Allah, Lo! we or you assuredly are rightly guided or in error manifest.
SHAKIR: Say: Who gives you the sustenance from the heavens and the earth? Say: Allah. And most surely we or you are on a right way or in manifest error
YUSUFALI: Say: "Ye shall not be questioned as to our sins, nor shall we be questioned as to what ye do."
PICKTHAL: Say: Ye will not be asked of what we committed, nor shall we be asked of what ye do.
SHAKIR: Say: You will not be questioned as to what we are guilty of, nor shall we be questioned as to what you do.
YUSUFALI: Say: "Our Lord will gather us together and will in the end decide the matter between us (and you) in truth and justice: and He is the one to decide, the One Who knows all."
PICKTHAL: Say: Our Lord will bring us all together, then He will judge between us with truth. He is the All-knowing Judge.
SHAKIR: Say: Our Lord will gather us together, then will He judge between us with the truth; and He is the greatest Judge, the All-knowing.
YUSUFALI: Say: "Show me those whom ye have joined with Him as partners: by no means (can ye). Nay, He is Allah, the Exalted in Power, the Wise."
PICKTHAL: Say: Show me those whom ye have joined unto Him as partners. Nay (ye dare not)! For He is Allah, the Mighty, the Wise.
SHAKIR: Say: Show me those whom you have joined with Him as associates; by no means (can you do it). Nay! He is Allah, the Mighty, the Wise.
YUSUFALI: We have not sent thee but as a universal (Messenger) to men, giving them glad tidings, and warning them (against sin), but most men understand not.
PICKTHAL: And We have not sent thee (O Muhammad) save as a bringer of good tidings and a warner unto all mankind; but most of mankind know not.
SHAKIR: And We have not sent you but to all the men as a bearer of good news and as a warner, but most men do not know.
YUSUFALI: They say: "When will this promise (come to pass) if ye are telling the truth?"
PICKTHAL: And they say: When is this promise (to be fulfilled) if ye are truthful?
SHAKIR: And they say: When will this promise be (fulfilled) if you are truthful?
YUSUFALI: Say: "The appointment to you is for a Day, which ye cannot put back for an hour nor put forward."
PICKTHAL: Say (O Muhammad): Yours is the promise of a Day which ye cannot postpone nor hasten by an hour.
SHAKIR: Say: You have the appointment of a day from which you cannot hold back any while, nor can you bring it on.
34 : 31
31. Waqala allatheena kafaroo lan nu/mina bihatha alqur-ani wala biallathee bayna yadayhi walaw tara ithi alththalimoona mawqoofoona AAinda rabbihim yarjiAAu baAAduhum ila baAAdin alqawla yaqoolu allatheena istudAAifoo lillatheena istakbaroo lawla antum lakunna mu/mineena
And the disbelievers say : 'We will not believe in this Qur'aan nor in the Scriptures which preceded it!' If only you could see the sinners when they are lined up before their Lord how they shift the blame on one another; how those who were exploited on earth say to those who exploited them : 'Had it not been for you, we would have been believers!'
34 : 32
32. Qala allatheena istakbaroo lillatheena istudAAifoo anahnu sadadnakum AAani alhuda baAAda ith jaakum bal kuntum mujrimeena
And those who exploited say to those whom they exploited : 'Did we impel you away from guidance after it had come to you? Nay! You erred by your own choice!
34 : 33
33. Waqala allatheena istudAAifoo lillatheena istakbaroo bal makru allayli waalnnahari ith ta/muroonana an nakfura biAllahi wanajAAala lahu andadan waasarroo alnnadamata lamma raawoo alAAathaba wajaAAalna al-aghlala fee aAAnaqi allatheena kafaroo hal yujzawna illa ma kanoo yaAAmaloona
But those who were exploited say to those who exploited them : 'Nay, but you put pressure on us day and night and commanded us that we vituperated Allah and assigned equals to Him.' And now both are filled with remorse at the sight of doom; and We shall put shackles around the necks of those who vituperated! What other requital do they expect to get except for what they used to do?
* * *
Context of Revelation : The following verse was revealed when a wealthy merchant wrote to a fellow merchant about the Prophet and the religion he preached, saying that his message was making an impact only upon the under-privileged whilst the well-off continued to reject him. But after speaking with the Prophet and listening to his message, his friend embraced Islam at once, in spite of being rich.
34 : 34
34. Wama arsalna fee qaryatin min natheerin illa qala mutrafooha inna bima orsiltum bihi kafiroona
We never sent to any township a warner, without its affluent denizens saying to them : 'Verily we reject that which you bring to us!'
* * *
34 : 35
35. Waqaloo nahnu aktharu amwalan waawladan wama nahnu bimuAAaththabeena
And they said : 'In wealth and children we excel you so it stands to reason that we are not of those that have been punished!'
34 : 36
36. Qul inna rabbee yabsutu alrrizqa liman yashao wayaqdiru walakinna akthara alnnasi la yaAAlamoona
Say (Mohammed) : 'Verily my Lord increases the provision for those whom He will and decreases it for those whom He will!' But most of mankind know this not! (R)
OTHER TRANSLATIONS BY MUHSIN, YUSUFALI, PICKTHAL AND SHAKIR:
31. And those who disbelieve say: "We believe not in this Qur'‚n nor in that which was before it," but if you could see when the Z‚limŻn (polytheists and wrong≠doers, etc.) will be made to stand before their Lord, how they will cast the (blaming) word one to another! Those who were deemed weak will say to those who were arrogant: "Had it not been for you, we should certainly have been believers!"
32. And those who were arrogant will say to those who were deemed weak: "Did we keep you back from guidance after it had come to you? Nay, but you were MujrimŻn (polytheists, sinners, criminals, disobedient to All‚h, etc.).
33. Those who were deemed weak will say to those who were arrogant: "Nay, but it was your plotting by night and day, when you ordered us to disbelieve in All‚h and set up rivals to Him!" And each of them (parties) will conceal their own regrets (for disobeying All‚h during this worldly life), when they behold the torment. And We shall put iron collars round the necks of those who disbelieved. Are they requited aught except what they used to do?
34. And We did not send a warner to a township, but those who were given the worldly wealth and luxuries among them said: "We believe not in the (Message) with which you have been sent."
35. And they say: "We are more in wealth and in children, and we are not going to be punished."
36. Say (O Muhammad SAW): "Verily, my Lord enlarges and restricts the provision to whom He pleases, but most men know not."
YUSUFALI: The Unbelievers say: "We shall neither believe in this scripture nor in (any) that (came) before it." Couldst thou but see when the wrong-doers will be made to stand before their Lord, throwing back the word (of blame) on one another! Those who had been despised will say to the arrogant ones: "Had it not been for you, we should certainly have been believers!"
PICKTHAL: And those who disbelieve say: We believe not in this Qur'an nor in that which was before it; but oh, if thou couldst see, when the wrong-doers are brought up before their Lord, how they cast the blame one to another; how those who were despised (in the earth) say unto those who were proud: But for you, we should have been believers.
SHAKIR: And those who disbelieve say: By no means will we believe in this Quran, nor in that which is before it; and could you see when the unjust shall be made to stand before their Lord, bandying words one with another! Those who were reckoned weak shall say to those who were proud: Had it not been for you we would certainly have been believers.
YUSUFALI: The arrogant ones will say to those who had been despised: "Was it we who kept you back from Guidance after it reached you? Nay, rather, it was ye who transgressed.
PICKTHAL: Those who were proud say unto those who were despised: Did we drive you away from the guidance after it had come unto you? Nay, but ye were guilty.
SHAKIR: Those who were proud shall say to those who were deemed weak: Did we turn you away from the guidance after it had come to you? Nay, you (yourselves) were guilty
YUSUFALI: Those who had been despised will say to the arrogant ones: "Nay! it was a plot (of yours) by day and by night: Behold! Ye (constantly) ordered us to be ungrateful to Allah and to attribute equals to Him!" They will declare (their) repentance when they see the Penalty: We shall put yokes on the necks of the Unbelievers: It would only be a requital for their (ill) Deeds.
PICKTHAL: Those who were despised say unto those who were proud: Nay but (it was your) scheming night and day, when ye commanded us to disbelieve in Allah and set up rivals unto Him. And they are filled with remorse when they behold the doom; and We place carcans on the necks of those who disbelieved. Are they requited aught save what they used to do?
SHAKIR: And those who were deemed weak shall say to those who were proud. Nay, (it was) planning by night and day when you told us to disbelieve in Allah and to set up likes with Him. And they shall conceal regret when they shall see the punishment; and We will put shackles on the necks of those who disbelieved; they shall not be requited but what they did.
YUSUFALI: Never did We send a warner to a population, but the wealthy ones among them said: "We believe not in the (Message) with which ye have been sent."
PICKTHAL: And We sent not unto any township a warner, but its pampered ones declared: Lo! we are disbelievers in that wherewith ye have been sent.
SHAKIR: And We never sent a warner to a town but those who led lives in ease in it said: We are surely disbelievers in what you are sent with.
YUSUFALI: They said: "We have more in wealth and in sons, and we cannot be punished."
PICKTHAL: And they say: We are more (than you) in wealth and children. We are not the punished!
SHAKIR: And they say: We have more wealth and children, and we shall not be punished.
YUSUFALI: Say: "Verily my Lord enlarges and restricts the Provision to whom He pleases, but most men understand not."
PICKTHAL: Say (O Muhammad): Lo! my Lord enlargeth the provision for whom He will and narroweth it (for whom He will). But most of mankind know not.
SHAKIR: Say: Surely my Lord amplifies the means of subsistence for whom He pleases and straitens (for whom He pleases), but most men do not know.
34 : 37
37. Wama amwalukum wala awladukum biallatee tuqarribukum AAindana zulfa illa man amana waAAamila salihan faola-ika lahum jazao alddiAAfi bima AAamiloo wahum fee alghurufati aminoona
It is not your wealth nor your children that will gain you Our propinquity, but only he who believes and performs righteous deeds draws nearest to Us! And for them there is twice the reward in return for their seemly performance and they will abide in the sublime mansions of Paradise with peace and in security!
34 : 38
38. Waallatheena yasAAawna fee ayatina muAAajizeena ola-ika fee alAAathabi muhdaroona
As for them who are intent upon defeating the object of Our revelations, they will be dragged towards their doom!
34 : 39
39. Qul inna rabbee yabsutu alrrizqa liman yashao min AAibadihi wayaqdiru lahu wama anfaqtum min shay-in fahuwa yukhlifuhu wahuwa khayru alrraziqeena
Say : 'My Lord increases the provision for whom He will of His creatures and He decreases it for him; and whatever you spend towards a worthy cause, He will give you back much more in return, for He is the Best of Providers!'
34 : 40
40. Wayawma yahshuruhum jameeAAan thumma yaqoolu lilmala-ikati ahaola-i iyyakum kanoo yaAAbudoona
On the Day when He will gather them all, He will ask the angels : 'Was it you whom they worshipped?'
34 : 41
41. Qaloo subhanaka anta waliyyuna min doonihim bal kanoo yaAAbudoona aljinna aktharuhum bihim mu/minoona
They will say : 'May You be glorified! You are our guardian and not they. Nay, they used to worship the Jinn; most amongst them were believers in them.'
34 : 42
42. Faalyawma la yamliku baAAdukum libaAAdin nafAAan wala darran wanaqoolu lillatheena thalamoo thooqoo AAathaba alnnari allatee kuntum biha tukaththiboona
On that Day you shall exercise no control over what is good or what is bad for one another. And We shall say to the sinful : 'Taste now the doom of the Fire which you once refuted!'
34 : 43
43. Wa-itha tutla AAalayhim ayatuna bayyinatin qaloo ma hatha illa rajulun yureedu an yasuddakum AAamma kana yaAAbudu abaokum waqaloo ma hatha illa ifkun muftaran waqala allatheena kafaroo lilhaqqi lamma jaahum in hatha illa sihrun mubeenun
And if Our revelations are recited to them with clarity, they say : 'He is nothing but an ordinary mortal bent upon turning you away from the gods of your ancestors!' And they said : 'This is nothing but lie concocted!' And those who disbelieve have always said about the truth when it came to them : 'This is no more than sheer incantation!'
34 : 44
44. Wama ataynahum min kutubin yadrusoonaha wama arsalna ilayhim qablaka min natheerin
And We have given them no Scripture to read nor have We sent any warner to them before you!
34 : 45
45. Wakaththaba allatheena min qablihim wama balaghoo miAAshara ma ataynahum fakaththaboo rusulee fakayfa kana nakeeri
Those before them also repudiated their messengers, - and these do not possess even one tenth of what We had given them in the past, - yet they denied My messengers! So how intense was my abhorrence of them! (R)
OTHER TRANSLATIONS BY MUHSIN, YUSUFALI, PICKTHAL AND SHAKIR:
37. And it is not your wealth, nor your children that bring you nearer to Us (i.e. pleases All‚h), but only he (will please Us) who believes (in the Isl‚mic Monotheism), and does righteous deeds; as for such, there will be twofold reward for what they did, and they will reside in the high dwellings (Paradise) in peace and security.
38. And those who strive against Our Ay‚t (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.), to frustrate them, will be brought to the torment.
39. Say: "Truly, my Lord enlarges the provision for whom He wills of His slaves, and (also) restricts (it) for him, and whatsoever you spend of anything (in All‚h's Cause), He will replace it. And He is the Best of providers."
40. And (remember) the Day when He will gather them all together, and then will say to the angels: "Was it you that these people used to worship?"
41. They (angels) will say: "Glorified be You! You are our WalÓ (Lord) instead of them. Nay, but they used to worship the jinns; most of them were believers in them."
42. So Today (i.e. the Day of Resurrection), none of you can profit or harm one another. And We shall say to those who did wrong [i.e. worshipped others (like angels, jinns, prophets, saints, righteous persons, etc.) along with All‚h]: "Taste the torment of the Fire which you used to belie.
43. And when Our Clear Verses are recited to them, they say: "This (Muhammad SAW) is naught but a man who wishes to hinder you from that which your fathers used to worship." And they say: "This is nothing but an invented lie." And those who disbelieve say of the truth when it has come to them (i.e. Prophet Muhammad SAW when All‚h sent him as a Messenger with proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, etc.): "This is nothing but evident magic!"
44. And We had not given them Scriptures which they could study, nor sent to them before you (O Muhammad SAW) any warner (Messenger).
45. And those before them belied; these have not received one tenth (1/10th) of what We had granted to those (of old), yet they belied My Messengers, then how (terrible) was My denial (punishment)!
YUSUFALI: It is not your wealth nor your sons, that will bring you nearer to Us in degree: but only those who believe and work righteousness - these are the ones for whom there is a multiplied Reward for their deeds, while secure they (reside) in the dwellings on high!
PICKTHAL: And it is not your wealth nor your children that will bring you near unto Us, but he who believeth and doeth good (he draweth near). As for such, theirs will be twofold reward for what they did and they will dwell secure in lofty halls.
SHAKIR: And not your wealth nor your children, are the things which bring you near Us in station, but whoever believes and does good, these it is for whom is a double reward for what they do, and they shall be secure in the highest places.
YUSUFALI: Those who strive against Our Signs, to frustrate them, will be given over into Punishment.
PICKTHAL: And as for those who strive against Our revelations, challenging, they will be brought to the doom.
SHAKIR: And (as for) those who strive in opposing Our communications, they shall be caused to be brought to the chastisement.
YUSUFALI: Say: "Verily my Lord enlarges and restricts the Sustenance to such of his servants as He pleases: and nothing do ye spend in the least (in His cause) but He replaces it: for He is the Best of those who grant Sustenance.
PICKTHAL: Say: Lo! my Lord enlargeth the provision for whom He will of His bondmen, and narroweth (it) for him. And whatsoever ye spend (for good) He replaceth it. And He is the Best of Providers.
SHAKIR: Say: Surely my Lord amplifies the means of subsistence for whom He pleases of His servants and straitens (them) for whom (He pleases), and whatever thing you spend, He exceeds it in reward, and He is the best of Sustainers.
YUSUFALI: One Day He will gather them all together, and say to the angels, "Was it you that these men used to worship?"
PICKTHAL: And on the day when He will gather them all together, He will say unto the angels: Did these worship you?
SHAKIR: And on the day when He will gather them all together, then will He say to the angels: Did these worship you?
YUSUFALI: They will say, "Glory to Thee! our (tie) is with Thee - as Protector - not with them. Nay, but they worshipped the Jinns: most of them believed in them."
PICKTHAL: They will say: Be Thou Glorified. Thou (alone) art our Guardian, not them! Nay, but they worshipped the jinn; most of them were believers in them.
SHAKIR: They shall say: Glory be to Thee! Thou art our Guardian, not they; nay! they worshipped the jinn; most of them were believers in them.
YUSUFALI: So on that Day no power shall they have over each other, for profit or harm: and We shall say to the wrong-doers, "Taste ye the Penalty of the Fire,- the which ye were wont to deny!"
PICKTHAL: That day ye will possess no use nor hurt one for another. And We shall say unto those who did wrong: Taste the doom of the Fire which ye used to deny.
SHAKIR: So on that day one of you shall not control profit or harm for another, and We will say to those who were unjust: Taste the chastisement of the fire which you called a lie.
YUSUFALI: When Our Clear Signs are rehearsed to them, they say, "This is only a man who wishes to hinder you from the (worship) which your fathers practised." And they say, "This is only a falsehood invented!" and the Unbelievers say of the Truth when it comes to them, "This is nothing but evident magic!"
PICKTHAL: And if Our revelations are recited unto them in plain terms, they say: This is naught else than a man who would turn you away from what your fathers used to worship; and they say: This is naught else than an invented lie. Those who disbelieve say of the truth when it reacheth them: This is naught else than mere magic.
SHAKIR: And when Our clear communications are recited to them, they say: This is naught but a man who desires to turn you away from that which your fathers worshipped. And they say: This is naught but a lie that is forged. And those who disbelieve say of the truth when it comes to them: This is only clear enchantment.
YUSUFALI: But We had not given them Books which they could study, nor sent messengers to them before thee as Warners.
PICKTHAL: And We have given them no scriptures which they study, nor sent We unto them, before thee, any warner.
SHAKIR: And We have not given them any books which they read, nor did We send to them before you a warner.
YUSUFALI: And their predecessors rejected (the Truth); these have not received a tenth of what We had granted to those: yet when they rejected My messengers, how (terrible) was My rejection (of them)!
PICKTHAL: Those before them denied, and these have not attained a tithe of that which We bestowed on them (of old); yet they denied My messengers. How intense then was My abhorrence (of them)!
SHAKIR: And those before them rejected (the truth), and these have not yet attained a tenth of what We gave them, but they gave the lie to My messengers, then how was the manifestation of My disapproval?
34 : 46
46. Qul innama aAAithukum biwahidatin an taqoomoo lillahi mathna wafurada thumma tatafakkaroo ma bisahibikum min jinnatin in huwa illa natheerun lakum bayna yaday AAathabin shadeedin
Say to them (O Mohammed) : 'I admonish you to do one thing : Concentrate upon Allah, two at a time or each on his own and then reflect!' There is no madness in your mentor; he is nothing but a warner to you of an impending apocalypse!'
34 : 47
47. Qul ma saaltukum min ajrin fahuwa lakum in ajriya illa AAala Allahi wahuwa AAala kulli shay-in shaheedun
Say : 'Whatever reward I asked of you towards this, it is yours to keep, for my reward is the concern of Allah alone and He is a witness over all things!'
48. Qul inna rabbee yaqthifu bialhaqqi AAallamu alghuyoobi
Say : 'Verily my Lord propels the Truth! He has knowledge of the hidden!'
34 : 49
49. Qul jaa alhaqqu wama yubdi-o albatilu wama yuAAeedu
Say : 'Truth has arrived so mendacity will hide its face and will never reappear!
34 : 50
50. Qul in dalaltu fa-innama adillu AAala nafsee wa-ini ihtadaytu fabima yoohee ilayya rabbee innahu sameeAAun qareebun
Say : 'If I err, I do so to my own detriment; and if I am guided aright, it is because of that which my Lord has inspirited in me. Verily He hears and is within easy reach!
34 : 51
51. Walaw tara ith faziAAoo fala fawta waokhithoo min makanin qareebin
If only you could see them when they are trapped without an exit and are captured from close quarters -
34 : 52
52. Waqaloo amanna bihi waanna lahumu alttanawushu min makanin baAAeedin
And say : 'We believe in it!' But how can they grasp faith after having drifted so far away -
34 : 53
53. Waqad kafaroo bihi min qablu wayaqthifoona bialghaybi min makanin baAAeedin
When they had already disbelieved in it before? They desire for what they have not even seen from such a distance!
34 : 54
54. Waheela baynahum wabayna ma yashtahoona kama fuAAila bi-ashyaAAihim min qablu innahum kanoo fee shakkin mureebin
Now there stands a gulf between them and that which they desire, as it had in the case of the likes of them in days bygone! Verily they were plunged in inextricable doubt! (R)
OTHER TRANSLATIONS BY MUHSIN, YUSUFALI, PICKTHAL AND SHAKIR:
46. Say (to them O Muhammad SAW): "I exhort you on one (thing) only: that you stand up for All‚h's sake in pairs and singly, and reflect (within yourselves the life history of the Prophet SAW): there is no madness in your companion (Muhammad SAW), he is only a warner to you in face of a severe torment."
47. Say (O Muhammad SAW): "Whatever wage I might have asked of you is yours. My wage is from All‚h only. and He is Witness over all things."
48. Say (O Muhammad SAW): "Verily! My Lord sends down Inspiration and makes apparent the truth (i.e. this Revelation that had come to me), the All≠Knower of the Ghaib (unseen).
49. Say (O Muhammad SAW): "The truth (the Qur'‚n and All‚h's Inspiration) has come, and Al≠B‚til [falsehood - IblÓs (Satan)] can neither create anything nor resurrect (anything)."
50. Say: "If (even) I go astray, I shall stray only to my own loss. But if I remain guided, it is because of the Inspiration of my Lord to me. Truly, He is All≠Hearer, Ever Near (to all things)."
51. And if you could but see, when they will be terrified with no escape (for them), and they will be seized from a near place.
52. And they will say (in the Hereafter): "We do believe (now);" but how could they receive (Faith and the acceptance of their repentance by All‚h) from a place so far off (i.e. to return to the worldly life again).
53. Indeed they did disbelieve (in the Oneness of All‚h, Isl‚m, the Qur'‚n and Muhammad SAW) before (in this world), and they (used to) conjecture about the unseen [i.e. the Hereafter, Hell, Paradise, Resurrection and the Promise of All‚h, etc. (by saying) all that is untrue], from a far place.
54. And a barrier will be set between them and that which they desire [i.e. At-Taubah (turning to All‚h in repentance) and the accepting of Faith etc.], as was done in the past with the people of their kind. Verily, they have been in grave doubt.
YUSUFALI: Say: "I do admonish you on one point: that ye do stand up before Allah,- (It may be) in pairs, or (it may be) singly,- and reflect (within yourselves): your Companion is not possessed: he is no less than a warner to you, in face of a terrible Penalty."
PICKTHAL: Say (unto them, O Muhammad): I exhort you unto one thing only: that ye awake, for Allah's sake, by twos and singly, and then reflect: There is no madness in your comrade. He is naught else than a warner unto you in face of a terrific doom.
SHAKIR: Say: I exhort you only to one thing, that rise up for Allah's sake in twos and singly, then ponder: there is no madness in your fellow-citizen; he is only a warner to you before a severe chastisement.
YUSUFALI: Say: "No reward do I ask of you: it is (all) in your interest: my reward is only due from Allah: And He is witness to all things."
PICKTHAL: Say: Whatever reward I might have asked of you is yours. My reward is the affair of Allah only. He is Witness over all things.
SHAKIR: Say: Whatever reward I have asked of you, that is only for yourselves; my reward is only with Allah, and He is a witness of all things.
YUSUFALI: Say: "Verily my Lord doth cast the (mantle of) Truth (over His servants),- He that has full knowledge of (all) that is hidden."
PICKTHAL: Say: Lo! my Lord hurleth the truth. (He is) the Knower of Things Hidden.
SHAKIR: Say: Surely my Lord utters the truth, the great Knower of the unseen.
YUSUFALI: Say: "The Truth has arrived, and Falsehood neither creates anything new, nor restores anything."
PICKTHAL: Say: The Truth hath come, and falsehood showeth not its face and will not return.
SHAKIR: Say: The truth has come, and the falsehood shall vanish and shall not come back.
YUSUFALI: Say: "If I am astray, I only stray to the loss of my own soul: but if I receive guidance, it is because of the inspiration of my Lord to me: it is He Who hears all things, and is (ever) near."
PICKTHAL: Say: If I err, I err only to my own loss, and if I am rightly guided it is because of that which my Lord hath revealed unto me. Lo! He is Hearer, Nigh.
SHAKIR: Say: If I err, I err only against my own soul, and if I follow a right direction, it ?s because of what my Lord reveals to me; surely He is Hearing, Nigh.
YUSUFALI: If thou couldst but see when they will quake with terror; but then there will be no escape (for them), and they will be seized from a position (quite) near.
PICKTHAL: Couldst thou but see when they are terrified with no escape, and are seized from near at hand,
SHAKIR: And could you see when they shall become terrified, but (then) there shall be no escape and they shall be seized upon from a near place
YUSUFALI: And they will say, "We do believe (now) in the (Truth)"; but how could they receive (Faith) from a position (so far off,-
PICKTHAL: And say: We (now) believe therein. But how can they reach (faith) from afar off,
SHAKIR: And they shall say: We believe in it. And how shall the attaining (of faith) be possible to them from a distant place?
YUSUFALI: Seeing that they did reject Faith (entirely) before, and that they (continually) cast (slanders) on the unseen from a position far off?
PICKTHAL: When they disbelieved in it of yore. They aim at the unseen from afar off.
SHAKIR: And they disbelieved in it before, and they utter conjectures with regard to the unseen from a distant place.
YUSUFALI: And between them and their desires, is placed a barrier, as was done in the past with their partisans: for they were indeed in suspicious (disquieting) doubt.
PICKTHAL: And a gulf is set between them and that which they desire, as was done for people of their kind of old. Lo! they were in hopeless doubt.
SHAKIR: And a barrier shall be placed between them and that which they desire, as was done with the likes of them before: surely they are in a disquieting doubt.