This Surah consists of 69 verses, 980 sentences, 4,165 letters and 7 Ruku's
It takes its name from verse 41 in which the word Ankabut (Spider) has occurred.
Verses 56 to 60 clearly show that this Surah was sent down a little before the migration to Habash, and this is supported by the internal evidence of the subject matter as well. Some commentators have opined that since it mentions the hypocrites, and hypocrisy appeared in Madinah, the first ten verses of this Surah were revealed at Madinah and the rest of it at Makkah; whereas the people whose hypocrisy has been mentioned here are those who had adopted a hypocritical way of life because they were afraid of the oppression and extreme physical torture to which the Muslims were being subjected by the disbelievers. Evidently, this kind of hypocrisy could be there only at Makkah and not at Madinah. Similarly, some other commentators, seeing that in this Surah the Muslims have been exhorted to migrate, have regarded it as the last Surah to be revealed at Makkah, whereas the Muslims had migrated to Habash even before their migration to Madinah. These opinions are not based on any tradition but on the internal evidence of the subject matter, and this internal evidence, when considered against the subject matter of the Surah as a whole, points to the conditions prevailing in the time of the migration to Habash and not to the last stage at Makkah.
A perusal of the Surah shows that the period of its revelation was the period of extreme persecution of the Muslims at Makkah. The disbelievers were opposing and fighting Islam tooth and nail and the new converts were being subjected to the severest oppression. Such were the conditions when Allah sent down this Surah to strengthen and encourage the sincere Muslims as well as to put to shame those who were showing weakness of the faith. Besides, the disbelievers of Makkah have been threatened and warned not to invite for themselves the fate that the antagonists of the Truth have been experiencing in every age.
In this connection, the questions that some young men were facing in those days, have also been answered. For instance, their parents were urging them to abandon Muhammad (may Allah's peace be upon him), and return to their ancestral religion, for they argued: "The Qur'an in which you have put your faith, regards the rights of the parents as the uppermost; therefore, listen to what we say; otherwise you will be working against the dictates of your own Faith." This has been answered in verse 8.
Similarly, the people of some clans said to the new converts to Islam, "Leave the question of punishments, etc., to us. Listen to us and abandon this man. If God seizes you in the Hereafter, we will come forward and say, 'Lord, these people are innocent: we had forced them to give up the Faith; therefore, seize us'." This has been dealt with, in vv. 12-13.
The stories mentioned in this Surah also impress the same point mostly, as if to say, "Look at the Prophets of the past: they were made to suffer great hardships and were treated cruelly for long periods. Then, at last they were helped by Allah. Therefore, take heart: Allah's succour will certainly come. But a period of trial and tribulation has to be undergone." Besides teaching this lesson to the Muslims, the disbelievers also have been warned, as if to say, "If you are not being immediately seized by Allah, you should not form the wrong impression that you will never be seized. The signs of the doomed nations of the past are before you. Just see how they met their doom and how Allah succoured the Prophets."
Then the Muslims have been instructed to thc effect: "If you feel that the persecution has become unbearable for you, you should give up your homes, instead of giving up your Faith: Allah's earth is vast: seek a new place where you can worship Allah with the full peace of mind."
Besides aIl this, the disbelievers also have been urged to understand Islam. The realities of Tauhid and the Hereafter have been impressed with rational arguments, shirk have been refuted, and drawing their attention towards the signs in the universe, they have been told that all these Signs confirm the teachings that the Prophet is presenting before them.
IMPORTANT: Please note that the Digest is based upon these outstanding translations and they have been reproduced here for the benefit of serious readers of the Qur’aan; the copyrights of these works are held by their respective authors/publishers from whom they can be purchased by anyone interested in acquiring them and we ardently hope that no offence will be taken by their inclusion.
Bismi Allahi alrrahmani alrraheemi
29 : 1
* * *
Context of Revelation : The following verses were revealed regarding the Meccans who did embrace Islam but did not give up their homes and possessions like the others had done in order to emigrate to Madina along with their fellow believers.
29 : 2
2. Ahasiba alnnasu an yutrakoo an yaqooloo amanna wahum la yuftanoona
Are men under the impression that they would be spared because they said : 'We do believe!' without their being put to the test with ordeals?
29 : 3
3. Walaqad fatanna allatheena min qablihim falayaAAlamanna Allahu allatheena sadaqoo walayaAAlamanna alkathibeena
We tested others before you. Thus Allah knows those who are genuine from those who pretend!
29 : 4
4. Am hasiba allatheena yaAAmaloona alssayyi-ati an yasbiqoona saa ma yahkumoona
Or do those who commit evil deeds imagine that they could outwit Us? Evil is that which they imagine!
* * *
29 : 5
5. Man kana yarjoo liqaa Allahi fa-inna ajala Allahi laatin wahuwa alssameeAAu alAAaleemu
Whoever harbours the hope of meeting Allah, let him know that Allah's reckoning is imminent and that He hears everything and He knows everything!
29 : 6
6. Waman jahada fa-innama yujahidu linafsihi inna Allaha laghaniyyun AAani alAAalameena
Whoever strives in the way of Allah, he does so for his own good while Allah Himself does not depend on the affiliations of mankind.
29 : 7
7. Waallatheena amanoo waAAamiloo alssalihati lanukaffiranna AAanhum sayyi-atihim walanajziyannahum ahsana allathee kanoo yaAAmaloona
And as for those who believe and perform righteous deeds, verily We will remit from them their evil deeds and requite them with a reward commensurate with the best of what they did.
* * *
Context of Revelation : The following verse was revealed with reference to a very close associate of the Prophet who was amongst the foremost adherents of Islam. When his mother learnt that he had become a Muslim, she threatened to starve herself to death unless he renounced his new religion; but in spite of the high esteem in which he held her, he refused to concede to her demand. This Revelation confirms that he was right in making that decision.
29 : 8
8. Wawassayna al-insana biwalidayhi husnan wa-in jahadaka litushrika bee ma laysa laka bihi AAilmun fala tutiAAhuma ilayya marjiAAukum faonabbi-okum bima kuntum taAAmaloona
We did enjoin on man kindness to his parents; but if they attempt to persuade
you to ascribe to Me a partner about whom you have no knowledge, then surrender
not to their persuasion, for it is to Me that you will be brought back when I
shall tell you what you used to do.
(This verse contains an important admonishment for all the believers that, even though Allah has enjoined on them tacit obedience towards their parents, they are not under any obligation to obey them if what they asked them to do goes against the preaching of the Qur'aan).
* * *
29 : 9
9. Waallatheena amanoo waAAamiloo alssalihati lanudkhilannahum fee alssaliheena
And as for those who believe and perform righteous deeds, We shall include them amongst the righteous!
29 : 10
10. Wamina alnnasi man yaqoolu amanna biAllahi fa-itha oothiya fee Allahi jaAAala fitnata alnnasi kaAAathabi Allahi wala-in jaa nasrun min rabbika layaqoolunna inna kunna maAAakum awa laysa Allahu bi-aAAlama bima fee sudoori alAAalameena
are they who say : 'We believe in Allah!' But if they are made to suffer in
Allah's way, they equate the persecution of mankind with punishment from Allah;
and then if victory comes to you from your Lord, they say : 'Verily we have
always been with you!' Does not Allah know quite well whatever is concealed in
the bosoms of men?
verse is aimed at the hypocrites who were seldom prepared to undergo any form of
hardship resulting from matters of faith. If they were persecuted for having
embraced the new religion, they argued that Allah was punishing them for
believing in Him even though it was promised to them that believing in Him would
avert the punishment. But if anything good befell the believers, they were
foremost to claim their share in it saying that they had always been on their
29 : 11
11. WalayaAAlamanna Allahu allatheena amanoo walayaAAlamanna almunafiqeena
And verily Allah knows those that believe and verily He knows who are hypocrites!
29 : 12
12. Waqala allatheena kafaroo lillatheena amanoo ittabiAAoo sabeelana walnahmil khatayakum wama hum bihamileena min khatayahum min shay-in innahum lakathiboona
The disbelievers say to those who believe : 'Follow our religion and we shall bear the burden of your sins! They cannot bear even a fraction of your burdens. Verily they are but liars!
29 : 13
13. Walayahmilunna athqalahum waathqalan maAAa athqalihim walayus-alunna yawma alqiyamati AAamma kanoo yaftaroona
verily they will bear their own burden and the burden of others too besides
their own. And on the Day of Resurrection they would be questioned about the
calumnies they used to stir. (R)
(The concept of vicarious atonement, discussed in previous Surahs, is once again under the spotlight here in response to the lure offered by the idol worshipping tribe of Quraish to their fellow tribesmen who had embraced Islam and severed their ties with them that, if they renounced Islam and reverted to their old religion, they would share any divine punishment it would attract. It has been time and again highlighted in the Qur'aan that no laden soul shall share the burden of another laden soul ).
OTHER TRANSLATIONS BY MUHSIN, YUSUFALI, PICKTHAL AND SHAKIR:
[These letters are one of the miracles of the Qur'ân, and none but Allâh (Alone) knows their meanings.]
2. Do people think that they will be left alone because they say: "We believe," and will not be tested.
3. And We indeed tested those who were before them. And Allâh will certainly make (it) known (the truth of) those who are true, and will certainly make (it) known (the falsehood of) those who are liars, (although Allâh knows all that before putting them to test).
4. Or those who do evil deeds think that they can outstrip Us (i.e. escape Our Punishment)? Evil is that which they judge!
5. Whoever hopes for the Meeting with Allâh, then Allâh's Term is surely coming. and He is the All-Hearer, the All-Knower.
6. And whosoever strives, he strives only for himself. Verily, Allâh is free of all wants from the 'Alamîn (mankind, jinns, and all that exists).
7. Those who believe [in the Oneness of Allâh (Monotheism) and in Messenger Muhammad SAW , and do not apostate because of the harm they receive from the polytheists], and do righteous good deeds, surely, We shall remit from them their evil deeds and shall reward them according to the best of that which they used to do.
8. And We have enjoined on man to be good and dutiful to his parents, but if they strive to make you join with Me (in worship) anything (as a partner) of which you have no knowledge, then obey them not. Unto Me is your return, and I shall tell you what you used to do.
9. And for those who believe (in the Oneness of Allâh and other items of Faith) and do righteous good deeds, surely, We shall make them enter in (the enterance of) the righteous (i.e. in Paradise).
10. Of mankind are some who say: "We believe in Allâh," but if they are made to suffer for the sake of Allâh, they consider the trial of mankind as Allâh's punishment, and if victory comes from your Lord, (the hypocrites) will say: "Verily! We were with you (helping you)." Is not Allâh Best Aware of what is in the breast of the 'Alamîn (mankind and jinns).
11. Verily, Allâh knows those who believe, and verily, He knows the hypocrites [i.e. Allâh will test the people with good and hard days to discriminate the good from the wicked (although Allâh knows all that before putting them to test)].
12. And those who disbelieve say to those who believe: "Follow our way and we will verily bear your sins," never will they bear anything of their sins. Surely, they are liars.
13. And verily, they shall bear their own loads, and other loads besides their own, and verily, they shall be questioned on the Day of Resurrection about that which they used to fabricate.
PICKTHAL: Alif. Lam. Mim.
SHAKIR: Alif Lam Mim.
YUSUFALI: Do men think that they will be left alone on saying, "We believe", and that they will not be tested?
PICKTHAL: Do men imagine that they will be left (at ease) because they say, We believe, and will not be tested with affliction?
SHAKIR: Do men think that they will be left alone on saying, We believe, and not be tried?
YUSUFALI: We did test those before them, and Allah will certainly know those who are true from those who are false.
PICKTHAL: Lo! We tested those who were before you. Thus Allah knoweth those who are sincere, and knoweth those who feign.
SHAKIR: And certainly We tried those before them, so Allah will certainly know those who are true and He will certainly know the liars.
YUSUFALI: Do those who practise evil think that they will get the better of Us? Evil is their judgment!
PICKTHAL: Or do those who do ill-deeds imagine that they can outstrip Us? Evil (for them) is that which they decide.
SHAKIR: Or do they who work evil think that they will escape Us? Evil is it that they judge!
YUSUFALI: For those whose hopes are in the meeting with Allah (in the Hereafter, let them strive); for the term (appointed) by Allah is surely coming and He hears and knows (all things).
PICKTHAL: Whoso looketh forward to the meeting with Allah (let him know that) Allah's reckoning is surely nigh, and He is the Hearer, the Knower.
SHAKIR: Whoever hopes to meet Allah, the term appointed by Allah will then most surely come; and He is the Hearing, the Knowing.
YUSUFALI: And if any strive (with might and main), they do so for their own souls: for Allah is free of all needs from all creation.
PICKTHAL: And whosoever striveth, striveth only for himself, for lo! Allah is altogether Independent of (His) creatures.
SHAKIR: And whoever strives hard, he strives only for his own soul; most surely Allah is Self-sufficient, above (need of) the worlds.
YUSUFALI: Those who believe and work righteous deeds,- from them shall We blot out all evil (that may be) in them, and We shall reward them according to the best of their deeds.
PICKTHAL: And as for those who believe and do good works, We shall remit from them their evil deeds and shall repay them the best that they did.
SHAKIR: And (as for) those who believe and do good, We will most certainly do away with their evil deeds and We will most certainly reward them the best of what they did.
YUSUFALI: We have enjoined on man kindness to parents: but if they (either of them) strive (to force) thee to join with Me (in worship) anything of which thou hast no knowledge, obey them not. Ye have (all) to return to me, and I will tell you (the truth) of all that ye did.
PICKTHAL: We have enjoined on man kindness to parents; but if they strive to make thee join with Me that of which thou hast no knowledge, then obey them not. Unto Me is your return and I shall tell you what ye used to do.
SHAKIR: And We have enjoined on man goodness to his parents, and if they contend with you that you should associate (others) with Me, of which you have no knowledge, do not obey them, to Me is your return, so I will inform you of what you did.
YUSUFALI: And those who believe and work righteous deeds,- them shall We admit to the company of the Righteous.
PICKTHAL: And as for those who believe and do good works, We verily shall make them enter in among the righteous.
SHAKIR: And (as for) those who believe and do good, We will most surely cause them to enter among the good.
YUSUFALI: Then there are among men such as say, "We believe in Allah"; but when they suffer affliction in (the cause of) Allah, they treat men's oppression as if it were the Wrath of Allah! And if help comes (to thee) from thy Lord, they are sure to say, "We have (always) been with you!" Does not Allah know best all that is in the hearts of all creation?
PICKTHAL: Of mankind is he who saith: We believe in Allah, but, if he be made to suffer for the sake of Allah, he mistaketh the persecution of mankind for Allah's punishment; and then, if victory cometh from thy Lord, will say: Lo! we were with you (all the while). Is not Allah Best Aware of what is in the bosoms of (His) creatures?
SHAKIR: And among men is he who says: We believe in Allah; but when he is persecuted in (the way of) Allah he thinks the persecution of men to be as the chastisement of Allah; and if there come assistance from your Lord, they would most certainly say: Surely we were with you. What! is not Allah the best knower of what is in the breasts of mankind.
YUSUFALI: And Allah most certainly knows those who believe, and as certainly those who are Hypocrites.
PICKTHAL: Verily Allah knoweth those who believe, and verily He knoweth the hypocrites.
SHAKIR: And most certainly Allah will know those who believe and most certainly He will know the hypocrites.
YUSUFALI: And the Unbelievers say to those who believe: "Follow our path, and we will bear (the consequences) of your faults." Never in the least will they bear their faults: in fact they are liars!
PICKTHAL: Those who disbelieve say unto those who believe: Follow our way (of religion) and we verily will bear your sins (for you). They cannot bear aught of their sins. Lo! they verily are liars.
SHAKIR: And those who disbelieve say to those who believe: Follow our path and we will bear your wrongs. And never shall they be the bearers of any of their wrongs; most surely they are liars.
YUSUFALI: They will bear their own burdens, and (other) burdens along with their own, and on the Day of Judgments they will be called to account for their falsehoods.
PICKTHAL: But they verily will bear their own loads and other loads beside their own, and they verily will be questioned on the Day of Resurrection concerning that which they invented.
SHAKIR: And most certainly they shall carry their own burdens, and other burdens with their own burdens, and most certainly they shall be questioned on the resurrection day as to what they forged.
29 : 14
14. Walaqad arsalna noohan ila qawmihi falabitha feehim alfa sanatin illa khamseena AAaman faakhathahumu alttoofanu wahum thalimoona
We did send Noah to his people (as our messenger) and he lived among them
for a period of one thousand years minus fifty. But the deluge submerged them,
for they were an evil folk.
of solace for the careworn Prophet and his beleaguered adherents that, not only
was Noah persecuted by his folks, his struggle to reform his people had lasted
over nine hundred and fifty years!)
29 : 15
15. Faanjaynahu waas-haba alssafeenati wajaAAalnaha ayatan lilAAalameena
And We delivered him and those who were with him on board his Ark and turned it into an example for all the future generations.
29 : 16
16. Wa-ibraheema ith qala liqawmihi oAAbudoo Allaha waittaqoohu thalikum khayrun lakum in kuntum taAAlamoona
And Abraham! (Remember?) when he said to his people : 'Serve Allah and discharge your duty to Him! It is better thing for you to do if you but knew!
29 : 17
17. Innama taAAbudoona min dooni Allahi awthanan watakhluqoona ifkan inna allatheena taAAbudoona min dooni Allahi la yamlikoona lakum rizqan faibtaghoo AAinda Allahi alrrizqa waoAAbudoohu waoshkuroo lahu ilayhi turjaAAoona
'You worship these idols in the place of Allah and invent all sorts of lies about them. Verily those whom you worship instead of Allah have no power to provide for you, so seek your provision from Allah alone by obeying Him and giving Him thanks. To Him shall you be returned in the end!
29 : 18
18. Wa-in tukaththiboo faqad kaththaba omamun min qablikum wama AAala alrrasooli illa albalaghu almubeenu
'But if you vituperate, then beware that others before you have also vituperated! It is not for the messenger to do anything other than delivering the message!
29 : 19
19. Awa lam yaraw kayfa yubdi-o Allahu alkhalqa thumma yuAAeeduhu inna thalika AAala Allahi yaseerun
See they not how Allah produces Creation and then reproduces it anew? Verily for Allah it is an easy thing to do!
29 : 20
20. Qul seeroo fee al-ardi faonthuroo kayfa badaa alkhalqa thumma Allahu yunshi-o alnnash-ata al-akhirata inna Allaha AAala kulli shay-in qadeerun
Say (O Mohammed) : 'Traverse the earth and see for yourselves how He originated Creation and then Allah brings forth a new crop of generations. Verily He is able to do all things!'
29 : 21
21. YuAAaththibu man yashao wayarhamu man yashao wa-ilayhi tuqlaboona
He punishes whom He will and is merciful towards whom He will and it is to Him that you must return!
29 : 22
22. Wama antum bimuAAjizeena fee al-ardi wala fee alssama-i wama lakum min dooni Allahi min waliyyin wala naseerin
And you can never escape Him upon this earth nor in the sky and you have neither a cohort nor a stalwart other than Him! (R)
OTHER TRANSLATIONS BY MUHSIN, YUSUFALI, PICKTHAL AND SHAKIR:
14. And indeed We sent Nűh (Noah) to his people, and he stayed among them a thousand years less fifty years [inviting them to believe in the Oneness of Allâh (Monotheism), and discard the false gods and other deities], and the Deluge overtook them while they were Zâliműn (wrong-doers, polytheists, disbelievers, etc.).
15. Then We saved him and those with him in the ship, and made it (the ship) as an Ayâh (a lesson, a warning, etc.) for the 'Alamîn (mankind, jinns and all that exists).
16. And (remember) Ibrâhim (Abraham) when he said to his people: "Worship Allâh (Alone), and fear Him, that is better for you if you did but know.
17. "You worship besides Allâh only idols, and you only invent falsehood. Verily, those whom you worship besides Allâh have no power to give you provision, so seek your provision from Allâh (Alone), and worship Him (Alone), and be grateful to Him. To Him (Alone) you will be brought back.
18. "And if you deny, then nations before you have denied (their Messengers). And the duty of the Messenger is only to convey (the Message) plainly."
19. See they not how Allâh originates creation, then repeats it. Verily, that is easy for Allâh.
20. Say: "Travel in the land and see how (Allâh) originated creation, and then Allâh will bring forth (resurrect) the creation of the Hereafter (i.e. resurrection after death). Verily, Allâh is Able to do all things."
21. He punishes whom He will, and shows mercy to whom He will, and to Him you will be returned.
22. And you cannot escape in the earth or in the heaven. And besides Allâh you have neither any Walî (Protector or Guardian) nor any Helper.
YUSUFALI: We (once) sent Noah to his people, and he tarried among them a thousand years less fifty: but the Deluge overwhelmed them while they (persisted in) sin.
PICKTHAL: And verily we sent Noah (as Our messenger) unto his folk, and he continued with them for a thousand years save fifty years; and the flood engulfed them, for they were wrong-doers.
SHAKIR: And certainly We sent Nuh to his people, so he remained among them a thousand years save fifty years. And the deluge overtook them, while they were unjust.
YUSUFALI: But We saved him and the companions of the Ark, and We made the (Ark) a Sign for all peoples!
PICKTHAL: And We rescued him and those with him in the ship, and made of it a portent for the peoples.
SHAKIR: So We delivered him and the inmates of the ark, and made it a sign to the nations.
YUSUFALI: And (We also saved) Abraham: behold, he said to his people, "Serve Allah and fear Him: that will be best for you- If ye understand!
PICKTHAL: And Abraham! (Remember) when he said unto his folk: Serve Allah, and keep your duty unto Him; that is better for you if ye did but know.
SHAKIR: And (We sent) Ibrahim, when he said to his people: Serve Allah and be careful of (your duty to) Him; this is best for you, if you did but know:
YUSUFALI: "For ye do worship idols besides Allah, and ye invent falsehood. The things that ye worship besides Allah have no power to give you sustenance: then seek ye sustenance from Allah, serve Him, and be grateful to Him: to Him will be your return.
PICKTHAL: Ye serve instead of Allah only idols, and ye only invent a lie. Lo! those whom ye serve instead of Allah own no provision for you. So seek your provision from Allah, and serve Him, and give thanks unto Him, (for) unto Him ye will be brought back.
SHAKIR: You only worship idols besides Allah and you create a lie surely they whom you serve besides Allah do not control for you any sustenance, therefore seek the sustenance from Allah and serve Him and be grateful to Him; to Him you shall be brought back.
YUSUFALI: "And if ye reject (the Message), so did generations before you: and the duty of the messenger is only to preach publicly (and clearly)."
PICKTHAL: But if ye deny, then nations have denied before you. The messenger is only to convey (the message) plainly.
SHAKIR: And if you reject (the truth), nations before you did indeed reject (the truth); and nothing is incumbent on the messenger but a plain delivering (of the message).
YUSUFALI: See they not how Allah originates creation, then repeats it: truly that is easy for Allah.
PICKTHAL: See they not how Allah produceth creation, then reproduceth it? Lo! for Allah that is easy.
SHAKIR: What! do they not consider how Allah originates the creation, then reproduces it? Surely that is easy to Allah.
YUSUFALI: Say: "Travel through the earth and see how Allah did originate creation; so will Allah produce a later creation: for Allah has power over all things.
PICKTHAL: Say (O Muhammad): Travel in the land and see how He originated creation, then Allah bringeth forth the later growth. Lo! Allah is Able to do all things.
SHAKIR: Say: Travel in the earth and see how He makes the first creation, then Allah creates the latter creation; surely Allah has power over all things.
YUSUFALI: "He punishes whom He pleases, and He grants Mercy to whom He pleases, and towards Him are ye turned.
PICKTHAL: He punisheth whom He will and showeth mercy unto whom He will, and unto Him ye will be turned.
SHAKIR: He punishes whom He pleases and has mercy on whom He pleases, and to Him you shall be turned back.
YUSUFALI: "Not on earth nor in heaven will ye be able (fleeing) to frustrate (his Plan), nor have ye, besides Allah, any protector or helper."
PICKTHAL: Ye cannot escape (from Him) in the earth or in the sky, and beside Allah there is for you no friend or helper.
SHAKIR: And you shall not escape in the earth nor in the heaven, and you have neither a protector nor a helper besides Allah.
29 : 23
23. Waallatheena kafaroo bi-ayati Allahi waliqa-ihi ola-ika ya-isoo min rahmatee waola-ika lahum AAathabun aleemun
Those who refute the revelations of Allah and their meeting with Him, they
cannot expect to receive any lenity from Me and for them is set aside a grievous
that in verses 20 to 24 the narrative briefly moves away from the past to dwell
on the present and then reverts once again to Abraham).
29 : 24
24. Fama kana jawaba qawmihi illa an qaloo oqtuloohu aw harriqoohu faanjahu Allahu mina alnnari inna fee thalika laayatin liqawmin yu/minoona
The folk (of Abraham) had no other solution to offer than saying : 'Slay him!' or 'Burn him!' But Allah rescued him from the blaze! Verily there are portents in this for those who believe.
29 : 25
25. Waqala innama ittakhathtum min dooni Allahi awthanan mawaddata baynikum fee alhayati alddunya thumma yawma alqiyamati yakfuru baAAdukum bibaAAdin wayalAAanu baAAdukum baAAdan wama-wakumu alnnaru wama lakum min nasireena
He said : 'You have preferred idols instead of Allah. The affiliation between you and them can last only for as long as the life of this world will! Thereafter, on the Day of Resurrection you will deny each other and curse each other! And your final abode will be the Fire wherein you will remain forever friendless!
29 : 26
26. Faamana lahu lootun waqala innee muhajirun ila rabbee innahu huwa alAAazeezu alhakeemu
believed him. And he (Abraham) said : 'I shall emigrate to wherever my
Lord directs me; for verily He is the Meritorious, the Wise!'
(Lot was Abraham's nephew and the first person to accept his Prophethood. It should be noted that, since Lot was also a Prophet of Allah in his own right, - and all prophets are born as believers in Allah, - the words Lot believed him are taken by commentators to mean that, upon witnessing Abraham come unscathed from the pit of fire into which he was tossed by his folks, Lot at once realized his uncle was a Prophet of Allah in truth and believed in his Prophethood.
Abraham emigrated to Syria, he was accompanied by his wife Sarah and his nephew
29 : 27
27. Wawahabna lahu ishaqa wayaAAqooba wajaAAalna fee thurriyyatihi alnnubuwwata waalkitaba waataynahu ajrahu fee alddunya wa-innahu fee al-akhirati lamina alssaliheena
blessed him with Isaac and Jacob; and We established the Prophethood and
Scripture among his seed; and We gave him his just reward in this world; and
verily in the Hereafter his place will be with the righteous!
the Prophets and messengers of Allah who followed him were from his seed; and
the Scriptures referred to in this verse include the Torah, the Gospel, the
Psalms and last but not the least the Qur'aan).
29 : 28
28. Walootan ith qala liqawmihi innakum lata/toona alfahishata ma sabaqakum biha min ahadin mina alAAalameena
And (remember) when Lot said to his folk : 'Commit you such abominations as no one else in the world has ever committed before?
29 : 29
29. A-innakum lata/toona alrrijala wataqtaAAoona alssabeela wata/toona fee nadeekumu almunkara fama kana jawaba qawmihi illa an qaloo i/tina biAAathabi Allahi in kunta mina alssadiqeena
perpetrate acts of lewdness with other men and place impediments on the roads
used by travellers and encourage debauchery in your assemblies!' But his folks
had no other solution to offer than saying : 'Bring upon us the doom of Allah,
if you speak the truth!'
(They used to waylay travellers on the high way, sometimes robbing them and sometimes abducting younger men for purposes of fornication.
also used to cause mayhem in their assemblies with their disruptive behaviour,
such as an unrestrained use of rude vocabulary, salacious conversations,
prurient innuendoes, pelting stones at each other and at the pedestrians,
drunkenness and many other disorderly acts).
29 : 30
30. Qala rabbi onsurnee AAala alqawmi almufsideena
He said : 'My Lord! Give me victory over a people who thrive on feud! (R)
OTHER TRANSLATIONS BY MUHSIN, YUSUFALI, PICKTHAL AND SHAKIR:
23. And those who disbelieve in the Ayât (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.) of Allâh and the Meeting with Him, it is they who have no hope of My Mercy, and it is they who will (have) a painful torment.
24. So nothing was the answer of [Ibrahîm's (Abraham)] people except that they said: "Kill him or burn him." Then Allâh saved him from the fire. Verily, in this are indeed signs for a people who believe.
25. And [Ibrâhim (Abraham)] said: "You have taken (for worship) idols instead of Allâh, and the love between you is only in the life of this world, but on the Day of Resurrection, you shall disown each other, and curse each other, and your abode will be the Fire, and you shall have no helper."
26. So Lout (Lot) believed in him [Ibrâhim's (Abraham) Message of Islâmic Monotheism]. He [Ibrâhim (Abraham)] said: "I will emigrate for the sake of my Lord. Verily, He is the All-Mighty, the All-Wise."
27. And We bestowed on him [Ibrâhim (Abraham)], Ishâque (Isaac) and Ya'qűb (Jacob), and ordained among his offspring Prophethood and the Book [i.e. the Taurât (Torah) (to Műsa Moses), the Injeel (Gospel) (to 'Iesa Jesus), the Qur'ân (to Muhammad SAW), all from the offspring of Ibrâhim (Abraham)], and We granted him his reward in this world, and verily, in the Hereafter he is indeed among the righteous.
28. And (remember) Lout (Lot), when he said to his people: "You commit Al-Fâhishah (sodomy the worst sin) which none has preceded you in (committing) it in the 'Alamîn (mankind and jinns)."
29. "Verily, you do sodomy with men, and rob the wayfarer (travellers, etc.)! And practise Al-Munkar (disbelief and polytheism and every kind of evil wicked deed) in your meetings." But his people gave no answer except, that they said: "Bring Allâh's Torment upon us if you are one of the truthful."
30. He said: "My Lord! Give me victory over the people who are Mufsidűn (those who commit great crimes and sins, oppressors, tyrants, mischief-makers, corrupts).
YUSUFALI: Those who reject the Signs of Allah and the Meeting with Him (in the Hereafter),- it is they who shall despair of My Mercy: it is they who will (suffer) a most grievous Penalty.
PICKTHAL: Those who disbelieve in the revelations of Allah and in (their) Meeting with Him, such have no hope of My mercy. For such there is a painful doom.
SHAKIR: And (as to) those who disbelieve in the communications of Allah and His meeting, they have despaired of My mercy, and these it is that shall have a painful punishment.
YUSUFALI: So naught was the answer of (Abraham's) people except that they said: "Slay him or burn him." But Allah did save him from the Fire. Verily in this are Signs for people who believe.
PICKTHAL: But the answer of his folk was only that they said: "Kill him" or "Burn him." Then Allah saved him from the Fire. Lo! herein verily are portents for folk who believe.
SHAKIR: So naught was the answer of his people except that they said: Slay him or burn him; then Allah delivered him from the fire; most surely there are signs in this for a people who believe.
YUSUFALI: And he said: "For you, ye have taken (for worship) idols besides Allah, out of mutual love and regard between yourselves in this life; but on the Day of Judgment ye shall disown each other and curse each other: and your abode will be the Fire, and ye shall have none to help."
PICKTHAL: He said: Ye have chosen only idols instead of Allah. The love between you is only in the life of the world. Then on the Day of Resurrection ye will deny each other and curse each other, and your abode will be the Fire, and ye will have no helpers.
SHAKIR: And he said: You have only taken for yourselves idols besides Allah by way of friendship between you in this world's life, then on the resurrection day some of you shall deny others, and some of you shall curse others, and your abode is the fire, and you shall not have any helpers.
YUSUFALI: But Lut had faith in Him: He said: "I will leave home for the sake of my Lord: for He is Exalted in Might, and Wise."
PICKTHAL: And Lot believed him, and said: Lo! I am a fugitive unto my Lord. Lo! He, only He, is the Mighty, the Wise.
SHAKIR: And Lut believed in Him, and he said: I am fleeing to my Lord, surely He is the Mighty, the Wise.
YUSUFALI: And We gave (Abraham) Isaac and Jacob, and ordained among his progeny Prophethood and Revelation, and We granted him his reward in this life; and he was in the Hereafter (of the company) of the Righteous.
PICKTHAL: And We bestowed on him Isaac and Jacob, and We established the prophethood and the Scripture among his seed, and We gave him his reward in the world, and lo! in the Hereafter he verily is among the righteous.
SHAKIR: And We granted him Ishaq and Yaqoub, and caused the t prophethood and the book to remain in his seed, and We gave him his reward in this world, and in the hereafter he will most surely be among the good.
YUSUFALI: And (remember) Lut: behold, he said to his people: "Ye do commit lewdness, such as no people in Creation (ever) committed before you.
PICKTHAL: And Lot! (Remember) when he said unto his folk: Lo! ye commit lewdness such as no creature did before you.
SHAKIR: And (We sent) Lut when he said to his people: Most surely you are guilty of an indecency which none of the nations has ever done before you;
YUSUFALI: "Do ye indeed approach men, and cut off the highway?- and practise wickedness (even) in your councils?" But his people gave no answer but this: they said: "Bring us the Wrath of Allah if thou tellest the truth."
PICKTHAL: For come ye not in unto males, and cut ye not the road (for travellers), and commit ye not abomination in your meetings? But the answer of his folk was only that they said: Bring Allah's doom upon us if thou art a truthteller!
SHAKIR: What! do you come to the males and commit robbery on the highway, and you commit evil deeds in your assemblies? But nothing was the answer of his people except that they said: Bring on us Allah's punishment, if you are one of the truthful.
YUSUFALI: He said: "O my Lord! help Thou me against people who do mischief!"
PICKTHAL: He said: My Lord! Give me victory over folk who work corruption.
SHAKIR: He said: My Lord! help me against the mischievous people.
29 : 31
31. Walamma jaat rusuluna ibraheema bialbushra qaloo inna muhlikoo ahli hathihi alqaryati inna ahlaha kanoo thalimeena
And when Our messengers brought Abraham the good news, they said : 'Verily we shall be destroying the dwellers of that township, for they indeed are an evil folk!
29 : 32
32. Qala inna feeha lootan qaloo nahnu aAAlamu biman feeha lanunajjiyannahu waahlahu illa imraatahu kanat mina alghabireena
He said : 'But Lot too is amongst them!' They said : 'We are best aware of who is in their midst. We are to deliver him and his entire household except his spouse who is to be of those that are left behind!'
29 : 33
33. Walamma an jaat rusuluna lootan see-a bihim wadaqa bihim tharAAan waqaloo la takhaf wala tahzan inna munajjooka waahlaka illa imraataka kanat mina alghabireena
When Our messengers came to Lot, their arrival made him nervous and he became concerned for their safety; but they said : 'Fear not, nor be distressed, for verily we shall deliver you and your entire household except your spouse who is to be of those that are left behind!
29 : 34
34. Inna munziloona AAala ahli hathihi alqaryati rijzan mina alssama-i bima kanoo yafsuqoona
'Verily we are going to bring down upon the people of this township a bane from the sky in retaliation for their persistent transgressions!
29 : 35
35. Walaqad tarakna minha ayatan bayyinatan liqawmin yaAAqiloona
We have turned their debacle into a clear portent for people who have sense!
entire region on the east side of the Dead Sea where once stood the cities of
Sodom and Gomorra remains covered to this day by sulphurous deposits where no
animals can survive nor any plant life can grow, its desolation a memorial to
the devastation that was inflicted upon it. In fact, the Dead Sea is called in
Arabic ‘Bahr Lut’, meaning the ‘Sea of Lot!)
29 : 36
36. Wa-ila madyana akhahum shuAAayban faqala ya qawmi oAAbudoo Allaha waorjoo alyawma al-akhira wala taAAthaw fee al-ardi mufsideena
And to Midian We sent Sho'abe of their own brotherhood who said to them : 'O my people! Worship Allah and look forward to the Last Day and do not perpetrate feud in the land!'
29 : 37
37. Fakaththaboohu faakhathat-humu alrrajfatu faasbahoo fee darihim jathimeena
But they repudiated him, so they were struck down by a devastating Cataclysm and the morning found them huddled upon their knees inside their dwellings!
29 : 38
38. WaAAadan wathamooda waqad tabayyana lakum min masakinihim wazayyana lahumu alshshaytanu aAAmalahum fasaddahum AAani alssabeeli wakanoo mustabsireena
The Tribes of Aad and Thamud! Their plight must be apparent to you from the state of the ruins in which their dwellings stand! Satan made their evil deeds seem fair to them and thus prevented them from gaining access to the path of righteousness, though they were men of insight!
29 : 39
39. Waqaroona wafirAAawna wahamana walaqad jaahum moosa bialbayyinati faistakbaroo fee al-ardi wama kanoo sabiqeena
And Kora and Pharaoh and Hamaan! To each of them Moses brought clear portents but they remained boastful in the land. And there was no way in which they could have outwitted Us!
29 : 40
40. Fakullan akhathna bithanbihi faminhum man arsalna AAalayhi hasiban waminhum man akhathat-hu alssayhatu waminhum man khasafna bihi al-arda waminhum man aghraqna wama kana Allahu liyathlimahum walakin kanoo anfusahum yathlimoona
So We seized every one of them for their sins; of them were those on whom We sent a torrent of pebbles; and of them were those who were struck down by the gruesome howling; and of them were those who were swallowed up by the earth; and of them were those who were drowned in the sea! It was not for Allah to wrong them; but in each and every case it was they that wronged themselves!
29 : 41
41. Mathalu allatheena ittakhathoo min dooni Allahi awliyaa kamathali alAAankabooti ittakhathat baytan wa-inna awhana albuyooti labaytu alAAankabooti law kanoo yaAAlamoona
semblance of those who choose as their lords deities other than Allah is like
that of a spider who makes for herself a dwelling of cobwebs, - though verily
the frailest of all the dwellings is the cobweb, - if only they knew!
(In this exemplary similitude, the faith of those who worship idols and bank so many of their hopes and aspirations upon them are likened to the faith of the spider in her fragile web as her dwelling place: protected against neither heat, nor cold, nor wind, nor dust, nor rain, it is the most insecure dwelling that offers its dweller very little by way of either comfort or security).
29 : 42
42. Inna Allaha yaAAlamu ma yadAAoona min doonihi min shay-in wahuwa alAAazeezu alhakeemu
Verily Allah knows what it is that they worship in His place! He is the Meritorious, the Sagacious!
29 : 43
43. Watilka al-amthalu nadribuha lilnnasi wama yaAAqiluha illa alAAalimoona
We cite these parities for the benefit of mankind, but none grasp their significance except those who have knowledge.
29 : 44
44. Khalaqa Allahu alssamawati waal-arda bialhaqqi inna fee thalika laayatan lilmu-mineena
Allah created the heavens and the earth with Truth; and verily therein is a portent for those who believe! (R)
OTHER TRANSLATIONS BY MUHSIN, YUSUFALI, PICKTHAL AND SHAKIR:
31. And when Our Messengers came to Ibrâhim (Abraham) with the glad tidings they said: "Verily, we are going to destroy the people of this [Lout's (Lot's)] town (i.e. the town of Sodom in Palestine) truly, its people have been Zâliműn [wrong-doers, polytheists and disobedient to Allâh, and have also belied their Messenger Lout (Lot)]."
32. Ibrâhim (Abraham) said: "But there is Lout (Lot) in it." They said:"We know better who is there, we will verily save him [Lout (Lot)] and his family, except his wife, she will be of those who remain behind (i.e. she will be destroyed along with those who will be destroyed from her folk)."
33. And when Our Messengers came to Lout (Lot), he was grieved because of them, and felt straitened on their account. They said: "Have no fear, and do not grieve! Truly, we shall save you and your family, except your wife, she will be of those who remain behind (i.e. she will be destroyed along with those who will be destroyed from her folk).
34. Verily, we are about to bring down on the people of this town a great torment from the sky, because they have been rebellious (against Allâh's Command)."
35. And indeed We have left thereof an evident Ayâh (a lesson and a warning and a sign the place where the Dead Sea is now in Palestine) for a folk who understand.
36. And to (the people of) Madyan (Midian), We sent their brother Shu'aib (Shuaib). He said: "O my people! Worship Allâh, and hope for (the reward of good deeds by worshipping Allâh Alone, on) the last Day, and commit no mischief on the earth as Mufsidűn (those who commit great crimes, oppressors, tyrants, mischief-makers, corrupts).
37. And they belied him [Shu'aib (Shuaib)], so the earthquake seized them, and they lay (dead), prostrate in their dwellings.
38. And 'Ad and Thaműd (people)! And indeed (their destruction) is clearly apparent to you from their (ruined) dwellings. Shaitân (Satan) made their deeds fair-seeming to them, and turned them away from the (Right) Path, though they were intelligent.
39. And (We destroyed also) Qârűn (Korah), Fir'aun (Pharaoh), and Hâmân. And indeed Műsa (Moses) came to them with clear Ayât (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.), but they were arrogant in the land, yet they could not outstrip Us (escape Our punishment).
40. So We punished each (of them) for his sins, of them were some on whom We sent Hâsiban (a violent wind with shower of stones) [as the people of Lout (Lot)], and of them were some who were overtaken by AsSaihah [torment awful cry, etc. (as Thaműd or Shu'aib's people)], and of them were some whom We caused the earth to swallow [as Qârűn (Korah)], and of them were some whom We drowned [as the people of Nűh (Noah), or Fir'aun (Pharaoh) and his people]. It was not Allâh Who wronged them, but they wronged themselves.
41. The likeness of those who take Auliyâ' (protectors and helpers) other than Allâh is as the likeness of a spider, who builds (for itself) a house, but verily, the frailest (weakest) of houses is the spider's house; if they but knew.
42. Verily, Allâh knows what things they invoke instead of Him. He is the All-Mighty, the All-Wise.
43. And these similitudes We put forward for mankind, but none will understand them except those who have knowledge (of Allâh and His Signs, etc.).
(Allâh says to His Prophet Muhammad
"Allâh (Alone) created the heavens and the earth with truth (and none shared Him
in their creation)." Verily! Therein is surely a sign for those who believe.
YUSUFALI: When Our Messengers came to Abraham with the good news, they said: "We are indeed going to destroy the people of this township: for truly they are (addicted to) crime."
PICKTHAL: And when Our messengers brought Abraham the good news, they said: Lo! we are about to destroy the people of that township, for its people are wrong-doers.
SHAKIR: And when Our messengers came to Ibrahim with the good news, they said: Surely we are going to destroy the people of this town, for its people are unjust.
YUSUFALI: He said: "But there is Lut there." They said: "Well do we know who is there : we will certainly save him and his following,- except his wife: she is of those who lag behind!"
PICKTHAL: He said: Lo! Lot is there. They said: We are best aware of who is there. We are to deliver him and his household, all save his wife, who is of those who stay behind.
SHAKIR: He said: Surely in it is Lut. They said: We know well who is in it; we shall certainly deliver him and his followers, except his wife; she shall be of those who remain behind.
YUSUFALI: And when Our Messengers came to Lut, he was grieved on their account, and felt himself powerless (to protect) them: but they said: "Fear thou not, nor grieve: we are (here) to save thee and thy following, except thy wife: she is of those who lag behind.
PICKTHAL: And when Our messengers came unto Lot, he was troubled upon their account, for he could not protect them; but they said: Fear not, nor grieve! Lo! we are to deliver thee and thy household, (all) save thy wife, who is of those who stay behind.
SHAKIR: And when Our messengers came to Lut he was grieved on account of them, and he felt powerless (to protect) them; and they said: Fear not, nor grieve; surely we will deliver you and your followers, except your wife; she shall be of those who remain behind.
YUSUFALI: "For we are going to bring down on the people of this township a Punishment from heaven, because they have been wickedly rebellious."
PICKTHAL: Lo! We are about to bring down upon the folk of this township a fury from the sky because they are evil-livers.
SHAKIR: Surely We will cause to come down upon the people of this town a punishment from heaven, because they transgressed.
YUSUFALI: And We have left thereof an evident Sign, for any people who (care to) understand.
PICKTHAL: And verily of that We have left a clear sign for people who have sense.
SHAKIR: And certainly We have left a clear sign of it for a people who understand.
YUSUFALI: To the Madyan (people) (We sent) their brother Shu'aib. Then he said: "O my people! serve Allah, and fear the Last Day: nor commit evil on the earth, with intent to do mischief."
PICKTHAL: And unto Midian We sent Shu'eyb, their brother. He said: O my people! Serve Allah, and look forward to the Last Day, and do not evil, making mischief, in the earth.
SHAKIR: And to Madyan (We sent) their brother Shuaib, so he said: O my people! serve Allah and fear the latter day and do not act corruptly in the land, making mischief.
YUSUFALI: But they rejected him: Then the mighty Blast seized them, and they lay prostrate in their homes by the morning.
PICKTHAL: But they denied him, and the dreadful earthquake took them, and morning found them prostrate in their dwelling place.
SHAKIR: But they rejected him, so a severe earthquake overtook them, and they became motionless bodies in their abode.
YUSUFALI: (Remember also) the 'Ad and the Thamud (people): clearly will appear to you from (the traces) of their buildings (their fate): the Evil One made their deeds alluring to them, and kept them back from the Path, though they were gifted with intelligence and skill.
PICKTHAL: And (the tribes of) A'ad and Thamud! (Their fate) is manifest unto you from their (ruined and deserted) dwellings. Satan made their deeds seem fair unto them and so debarred them from the Way, though they were keen observers.
SHAKIR: And (We destroyed) Ad and Samood, and from their dwellings (this) is apparent to you indeed; and the Shaitan made their deeds fair-seeming to them, so he kept them back from the path, though they were endowed with intelligence and skill,
YUSUFALI: (Remember also) Qarun, Pharaoh, and Haman: there came to them Moses with Clear Signs, but they behaved with insolence on the earth; yet they could not overreach (Us).
PICKTHAL: And Korah, Pharaoh and Haman! Moses came unto them with clear proofs (of Allah's Sovereignty), but they were boastful in the land. And they were not winners (in the race).
SHAKIR: And (We destroyed) Qaroun and Firon and Haman; and certainly Musa came to them with clear arguments, but they behaved haughtily in the land; yet they could not outstrip (Us).
YUSUFALI: Each one of them We seized for his crime: of them, against some We sent a violent tornado (with showers of stones); some were caught by a (mighty) Blast; some We caused the earth to swallow up; and some We drowned (in the waters): It was not Allah Who injured (or oppressed) them:" They injured (and oppressed) their own souls.
PICKTHAL: So We took each one in his sin; of them was he on whom We sent a hurricane, and of them was he who was overtaken by the (Awful) Cry, and of them was he whom We caused the earth to swallow, and of them was he whom We drowned. It was not for Allah to wrong them, but they wronged themselves.
SHAKIR: So each We punished for his sin; of them was he on whom We sent down a violent storm, and of them was he whom the rumbling overtook, and of them was he whom We made to be swallowed up by the earth, and of them was he whom We drowned; and it did not beseem Allah that He should be unjust to them, but they were unjust to their own souls.
YUSUFALI: The parable of those who take protectors other than Allah is that of the spider, who builds (to itself) a house; but truly the flimsiest of houses is the spider's house;- if they but knew.
PICKTHAL: The likeness of those who choose other patrons than Allah is as the likeness of the spider when she taketh unto herself a house, and lo! the frailest of all houses is the spider's house, if they but knew.
SHAKIR: The parable of those who take guardians besides Allah is as the parable of the spider that makes for itself a house; and most surely the frailest of the houses is the spider's house did they but know.
YUSUFALI: Verily Allah doth know of (every thing) whatever that they call upon besides Him: and He is Exalted (in power), Wise.
PICKTHAL: Lo! Allah knoweth what thing they invoke instead of Him. He is the Mighty, the Wise.
SHAKIR: Surely Allah knows whatever thing they call upon besides Him; and He is the Mighty, the Wise.
YUSUFALI: And such are the Parables We set forth for mankind, but only those understand them who have knowledge.
PICKTHAL: As for these similitudes, We coin them for mankind, but none will grasp their meaning save the wise.
SHAKIR: And (as for) these examples, We set them forth for men, and none understand them but the learned.
YUSUFALI: Allah created the heavens and the earth in true (proportions): verily in that is a Sign for those who believe.
PICKTHAL: Allah created the heavens and the earth with truth. Lo! therein is indeed a portent for believers.
SHAKIR: Allah created the heavens and the earth with truth; most surely there is a sign in this for the believers.
29 : 45
45. Otlu ma oohiya ilayka mina alkitabi waaqimi alssalata inna alssalata tanha AAani alfahsha-i waalmunkari walathikru Allahi akbaru waAllahu yaAAlamu ma tasnaAAoona
And recite that which is inspired in you of the Scripture (O Mohammed)
and perform regular worship, for worship preserves you from indecency and
depravity, although verily remembrance of Allah is best of all! And Allah
knows everything you do.
(The verse mentions two important activities in which Muslims are encouraged to engage in order to get the best out of this life as well as the other: performing regular worship and constant remembrance of Allah.
Since performing Salaat stipulates many pre-requisites in total conformity with what is lawful and what is unlawful in every aspect of life : what we wear, what we eat and how we conduct ourselves, it is only logical to assume that, by and large, all these disciplines become a way of life for those who offer Salaat five times a day.
There are several Ahadith that shed further light on these issues. According to one of them, when people complained to the Prophet against the evil deeds of a man who used to commit major sins but offer Salaat along with the Prophet regularly, he is quoted to have said that his Salaat is bound to rid him of his evil deeds one day or the other, which was precisely what happened; in due course of time he conquered all his weaknesses and became a model believer.
With reference to the remembrance of Allah, or zikr, the blessed Prophet is quoted to have said : ‘Shall I tell you the deed which is better than the best of all your deeds; better than all the treasures in the world; better than taking up arms for Allah's Cause and better than even attaining martyrdom?’ When he was asked what it was, he replied : Zikr).
According to another Hadith, when the Prophet was asked by his close associates : ‘On the Day of Judgement, whose status would be the highest of all in the eyes of Allah?’ He replied : ‘Those who remember Allah the most!’ Then they asked him : ‘More than those who took up arms for Him?’ He replied : ’Even if their sword was riddled with the gore of enemy blood to such an extent that it is on the verge of splitting apart!)
29 : 46
46. Wala tujadiloo ahla alkitabi illa biallatee hiya ahsanu illa allatheena thalamoo minhum waqooloo amanna biallathee onzila ilayna waonzila ilaykum wa-ilahuna wa-ilahukum wahidun wanahnu lahu muslimoona
And argue not with the Peoples of the Scriptures unless it be in a way that is better, except with those of them who transgress; and say : 'We believe in that which has been revealed to us as well as in that which has been revealed to you! Our God and your God is One, and it is to Him that we surrender!
29 : 47
47. Wakathalika anzalna ilayka alkitaba faallatheena ataynahumu alkitaba yu/minoona bihi wamin haola-i man yu/minu bihi wama yajhadu bi-ayatina illa alkafiroona
Thus We have revealed to you this Scripture; and those to whom We revealed the previous Scripture believe in it, as do some among the (the pagans) who also believe in this; and none refutes Our revelations except the disbelievers!
29 : 48
48. Wama kunta tatloo min qablihi min kitabin wala takhuttuhu biyameenika ithan lairtaba almubtiloona
And you (O Mohammed) were not a reader of books before the Qur'aan nor
did you ever write anything with your own hand, for then those who pursue
falsehood would surely have cast doubts upon it!
Prophet was a man of letters, the Jews and the Christians would have cast doubts
upon the Qur'aan because, according to the prophesy contained in their own
Scriptures, the Last of the Prophets was described as an ‘illiterate’
29 : 49
49. Bal huwa ayatun bayyinatun fee sudoori allatheena ootoo alAAilma wama yajhadu bi-ayatina illa alththalimoona
Nay, these are the clear revelations that have reached the hearts of those who have knowledge; and none refutes Our revelations except the insidious!
29 : 50
50. Waqaloo lawla onzila AAalayhi ayatun min rabbihi qul innama al-ayatu AAinda Allahi wa-innama ana natheerun mubeenun
And they say : 'If only some portents were sent down upon him from his Lord?' Say to them : ‘Signs are with Allah, whereas I am but a plain warner!'
29 : 51
51. Awa lam yakfihim anna anzalna AAalayka alkitaba yutla AAalayhim inna fee thalika larahmatan wathikra liqawmin yu/minoona
Is it not enough for them that We have revealed to you the Scripture which is
recited to them? Verily there is a Mercy and an Admonition in it for all
those who believe! (R)
(The above verses, revealed in the context of dissatisfaction expressed by the idolaters of Mecca regarding the Prophet that he was not blessed with signs and miracles similar to those performed by the other prophets, such as the Staff and the Radiant Hand of Moses, or the healing powers of Jesus, establish the Qur'aan beyond the scope of doubt that it is no less a miracle than any of the others, - its radiance brightening up not just the vicinity of the Temple Mount but every dark corner of human heart and mind; its magical powers healing not merely the bodies of the sick in Nazareth but the souls of every human being across the world; revealed not just for the times during which it was sent down but to last forever, reaching the hearts and souls of people beyond the frontiers of space and annals of time).
OTHER TRANSLATIONS BY MUHSIN, YUSUFALI, PICKTHAL AND SHAKIR:
45. Recite (O Muhammad SAW) what has been revealed to you of the Book (the Qur'ân), and perform As-Salât (IqamâtasSalât). Verily, As-Salât (the prayer) prevents from Al-Fahshâ' (i.e. great sins of every kind, unlawful sexual intercourse, etc.) and Al-Munkar (i.e. disbelief, polytheism, and every kind of evil wicked deed, etc.) and the remembering (praising, etc.) of (you by) Allâh (in front of the angels) is greater indeed [than your remembering (praising, etc.) Allâh in prayers, etc.]. And Allâh knows what you do.
46. And argue not with the people of the Scripture (Jews and Christians), unless it be in (a way) that is better (with good words and in good manner, inviting them to Islâmic Monotheism with His Verses), except with such of them as do wrong, and say (to them): "We believe in that which has been revealed to us and revealed to you; our Ilâh (God) and your Ilâh (God) is One (i.e. Allâh), and to Him we have submitted (as Muslims)."
47. And thus We have sent down the Book (i.e this Qur'an) to you (O Muhammad SAW), and those whom We gave the Scripture [the Taurât (Torah) and the Injeel (Gospel) aforetime] believe therein as also do some of these (who are present with you now like 'Abdullâh bin Salâm) and none but the disbelievers reject Our Ayât [(proofs, signs, verses, lessons, etc., and deny Our Oneness of Lordship and Our Oneness of worship and Our Oneness of Our Names and Qualities: i.e. Islâmic Monotheism)].
48. Neither did you (O Muhammad SAW) read any book before it (this Qur'ân), nor did you write any book (whatsoever) with your right hand. In that case, indeed, the followers of falsehood might have doubted.
49. Nay, but they, the clear Ayât [i.e the description and the qualities of Prophet Muhammad SAW written like verses in the Taurât (Torah) and the Injeel (Gospel)] are preserved in the breasts of those who have been given knowledge (from the people of the Scriptures). And none but the Zâliműn (polytheists and wrongdoers, etc.) deny Our Ayât (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.).
50. And they say: "Why are not signs sent down to him from his Lord? Say: "The signs are only with Allâh, and I am only a plain warner."
51. Is it not sufficient for them that We have sent down to you the Book (the Qur'ân) which is recited to them? Verily, herein is mercy and a reminder (or an admonition) for a people who believe.
YUSUFALI: Recite what is sent of the Book by inspiration to thee, and establish regular Prayer: for Prayer restrains from shameful and unjust deeds; and remembrance of Allah is the greatest (thing in life) without doubt. And Allah knows the (deeds) that ye do.
PICKTHAL: Recite that which hath been inspired in thee of the Scripture, and establish worship. Lo! worship preserveth from lewdness and iniquity, but verily remembrance of Allah is more important. And Allah knoweth what ye do.
SHAKIR: Recite that which has been revealed to you of the Book and keep up prayer; surely prayer keeps (one) away from indecency and evil, and certainly the remembrance of Allah is the greatest, and Allah knows what you do.
YUSUFALI: And dispute ye not with the People of the Book, except with means better (than mere disputation), unless it be with those of them who inflict wrong (and injury): but say, "We believe in the revelation which has come down to us and in that which came down to you; Our Allah and your Allah is one; and it is to Him we bow (in Islam)."
PICKTHAL: And argue not with the People of the Scripture unless it be in (a way) that is better, save with such of them as do wrong; and say: We believe in that which hath been revealed unto us and revealed unto you; our Allah and your Allah is One, and unto Him we surrender.
SHAKIR: And do not dispute with the followers of the Book except by what is best, except those of them who act unjustly, and say: We believe in that which has been revealed to us and revealed to you, and our Allah and your Allah is One, and to Him do we submit.
YUSUFALI: And thus (it is) that We have sent down the Book to thee. So the People of the Book believe therein, as also do some of these (pagan Arabs): and none but Unbelievers reject our signs.
PICKTHAL: In like manner We have revealed unto thee the Scripture, and those unto whom We gave the Scripture aforetime will believe therein; and of these (also) there are some who believe therein. And none deny Our revelations save the disbelievers.
SHAKIR: And thus have We revealed the Book to you. So those whom We have given the Book believe in it, and of these there are those who believe in it, and none deny Our communications except the unbelievers.
YUSUFALI: And thou wast not (able) to recite a Book before this (Book came), nor art thou (able) to transcribe it with thy right hand: In that case, indeed, would the talkers of vanities have doubted.
PICKTHAL: And thou (O Muhammad) wast not a reader of any scripture before it, nor didst thou write it with thy right hand, for then might those have doubted, who follow falsehood.
SHAKIR: And you did not recite before it any book, nor did you transcribe one with your right hand, for then could those who say untrue things have doubted.
YUSUFALI: Nay, here are Signs self-evident in the hearts of those endowed with knowledge: and none but the unjust reject Our Signs.
PICKTHAL: But it is clear revelations in the hearts of those who have been given knowledge, and none deny Our revelations save wrong-doers.
SHAKIR: Nay! these are clear communications in the breasts of those who are granted knowledge; and none deny Our communications except the unjust.
YUSUFALI: Ye they say: "Why are not Signs sent down to him from his Lord?" Say: "The signs are indeed with Allah: and I am indeed a clear Warner."
PICKTHAL: And they say: Why are not portents sent down upon him from his Lord? Say: Portents are with Allah only, and I am but a plain warner.
SHAKIR: And they say: Why are not signs sent down upon him from his Lord? Say: The signs are only with Allah, and I am only a plain warner.
YUSUFALI: And is it not enough for them that we have sent down to thee the Book which is rehearsed to them? Verily, in it is Mercy and a Reminder to those who believe.
PICKTHAL: Is it not enough for them that We have sent down unto thee the Scripture which is read unto them? Lo! herein verily is mercy, and a reminder for folk who believe.
SHAKIR: Is it not enough for them that We have revealed to you the Book which is recited to them? Most surely there is mercy in this and a reminder for a people who believe.
29 : 52
52. Qul kafa biAllahi baynee wabaynakum shaheedan yaAAlamu ma fee alssamawati waal-ardi waallatheena amanoo bialbatili wakafaroo biAllahi ola-ika humu alkhasiroona
Say to them (O Mohammed) : 'Allah suffices as a witness between me and you! He knows whatever is there in the heavens and upon the earth. Those who believe in Falsehood but disbelieve in Allah, they are the real losers!
29 : 53
53. WayastaAAjiloonaka bialAAathabi walawla ajalun musamman lajaahumu alAAathabu walaya/tiyannahum baghtatan wahum la yashAAuroona
They ask you to hasten on (Divine) chastisement! Were it not for a term which has already been stipulated, they would have been chastised long time ago. Verily doom is certain to crack on them all of a sudden and when they are least expecting it!
29 : 54
54. YastaAAjiloonaka bialAAathabi wa-inna jahannama lamuheetatun bialkafireena
They dare bid you to hasten on the doom! Verily hell surrounds the disbelievers on all sides!
29 : 55
55. Yawma yaghshahumu alAAathabu min fawqihim wamin tahti arjulihim wayaqoolu thooqoo ma kuntum taAAmaloona
On the day
when doom will overwhelm them from above them and from underneath their feet, it
will be said to them : 'Taste the outcome of what you used to do!'
* * *
Context of Revelation
: The following verse was revealed exhorting all the Muslims in Mecca who were
being persecuted more and more by the idolaters and prevented from freely
practising their religion that they should find an alternative habitat in
Allah's copious earth which is large enough to accommodate them.
29 : 56
56. Ya AAibadiya allatheena amanoo inna ardee wasiAAatun fa-iyyaya faoAAbudooni
O My creatures who believe! Verily capacious is My earth, so serve Me alone!
29 : 57
57. Kullu nafsin tha-iqatu almawti thumma ilayna turjaAAoona
Every soul will be given the taste of death; and then your returning is to Us!
29 : 58
58. Waallatheena amanoo waAAamiloo alssalihati lanubawwi-annahum mina aljannati ghurafan tajree min tahtiha al-anharu khalideena feeha niAAma ajru alAAamileena
Those who believe and perform righteous deeds, We will house them in the magnificent mansions of the Garden underneath which rivers flow! There they shall abide forever! And how rich is the reward for those who toil -
29 : 59
59. Allatheena sabaroo waAAala rabbihim yatawakkaloona
Those who persevere and put their trust in their Lord alone!
(And the exhortation is further justified in the next two verses that, when everybody has to face their moment of death one day and bid goodbye to the world itself and return to their Maker, what was so difficult about bidding goodbye to a town or a home in it; and also that for those who suffer for believing in Allah and yet continue to perform righteous deeds, their reward in the Hereafter is far better than the dwellings upon the earth for which we crave).
* * *
Context of Revelation : The following verse was revealed when persecution of the Muslims by the disbelievers reached its peak and the Prophet urged them to emigrate to Madina in order to escape it. But some preferred to stay on because they said they had no home nor means of livelihood there which could drive them to starvation.
29 : 60
60. Wakaayyin min dabbatin la tahmilu rizqaha Allahu yarzuquha wa-iyyakum wahuwa alssameeAAu alAAaleemu
How many creatures there are that do not carry with them their provision! Allah
provides for them as well as for you. He hears everything and He knows
(He is the Universal Provider who provides for one and all; He provides for the affluent and the indigent; for the prince and the pauper; for mankind and beasts; for the birds that fly in the sky and for the fish that swim in the sea; for the infant and the senile!
According to a Hadith, our beloved Prophet is quoted to have said that, if we stake our trust in Allah and rely on Him alone for our sustenance, He will feed us in the same way as He feeds the birds, who fly out of their nests and branches in the morning with empty stomachs but return in the night with their stomachs and beaks filled for their fledglings).
* * *
29 : 61
61. Wala-in saaltahum man khalaqa alssamawati waal-arda wasakhkhara alshshamsa waalqamara layaqoolunna Allahu faanna yu/fakoona
And if you were to ask them : 'Who created the heavens and constrained the sun and the moon to perform the functions assigned to them?' They would say : 'Allah!' Why then are they turning away?
29 : 62
62. Allahu yabsutu alrrizqa liman yashao min AAibadihi wayaqdiru lahu inna Allaha bikulli shay-in AAaleemun
Allah increases the provision for whom He will of His creatures and decreases it for whom He will! Verily Allah is able to do all things.
29 : 63
63. Wala-in saaltahum man nazzala mina alssama-i maan faahya bihi al-arda min baAAdi mawtiha layaqoolunna Allahu quli alhamdu lillahi bal aktharuhum la yaAAqiloona
And if you were to ask them : 'Who causes the rain to come down from the sky and with it revives the earth after its demise?' They would say : 'Allah!' You say : 'Praise be to Allah!' But most of them are devoid of perception. (R)
OTHER TRANSLATIONS BY MUHSIN, YUSUFALI, PICKTHAL AND SHAKIR:
52. Say (to them O Muhammad SAW): "Sufficient is Allâh for a witness between me and you. He knows what is in the heavens and on earth." And those who believe in Bâtil (all false deities other than Allâh), and disbelieve in Allâh and (in His Oneness), it is they who are the losers.
53. And they ask you to hasten on the torment (for them), and had it not been for a term appointed, the torment would certainly have come to them. And surely, it will come upon them suddenly while they perceive not!
54. They ask you to hasten on the torment. And verily! Hell, of a surety, will encompass the disbelievers.
55. On the Day when the torment (Hell-fire) shall cover them from above them and from underneath their feet, and it will be said: "Taste what you used to do."
56. O My slaves who believe! Certainly, spacious is My earth. Therefore worship Me (Alone)." 
57. Everyone shall taste the death. Then unto Us you shall be returned.
58. And those who believe (in the Oneness of Allâh Islâmic Monotheism) and do righteous good deeds, to them We shall surely give lofty dwellings in Paradise, underneath which rivers flow, to live therein forever. Excellent is the reward of the workers.
59. Those who are patient, and put their trust (only) in their Lord (Allâh).
60. And so many a moving (living) creature there is, that carries not its own provision! Allâh provides for it and for you. And He is the All-Hearer, the AllKnower.
61. If you were to ask them: "Who has created the heavens and the earth and subjected the sun and the moon?" They will surely reply: "Allâh." How then are they deviating (as polytheists and disbelievers)?
62. Allâh enlarges the provision for whom He wills of His slaves, and straitens it for whom (He wills). Verily, Allâh is the AllKnower of everything.
63. If you were to ask them: "Who sends down water (rain) from the sky, and gives life therewith to the earth after its death?" They will surely reply: "Allâh." Say: "All the praises and thanks be to Allâh!" Nay! Most of them have no sense.
YUSUFALI: Say: "Enough is Allah for a witness between me and you: He knows what is in the heavens and on earth. And it is those who believe in vanities and reject Allah, that will perish (in the end).
PICKTHAL: Say (unto them, O Muhammad): Allah sufficeth for witness between me and you. He knoweth whatsoever is in the heavens and the earth. And those who believe in vanity and disbelieve in Allah, they it is who are the losers.
SHAKIR: Say: Allah is sufficient as a witness between me and you; He knows what is in the heavens and the earth. And (as for) those who believe in the falsehood and disbelieve in Allah, these it is that are the losers.
YUSUFALI: They ask thee to hasten on the Punishment (for them): had it not been for a term (of respite) appointed, the Punishment would certainly have come to them: and it will certainly reach them,- of a sudden, while they perceive not!
PICKTHAL: They bid thee hasten on the doom (of Allah). And if a term had not been appointed, the doom would assuredly have come unto them (ere now). And verily it will come upon them suddenly when they perceive not.
SHAKIR: And they ask you to hasten on the chastisement; and had not a term been appointed, the chastisement would certainly have come to them; and most certainly it will come to them all of a sudden while they will not perceive.
YUSUFALI: They ask thee to hasten on the Punishment: but, of a surety, Hell will encompass the Rejecters of Faith!-
PICKTHAL: They bid thee hasten on the doom, when lo! hell verily will encompass the disbelievers
SHAKIR: They ask you to hasten on the chastisement, and most surely hell encompasses the unbelievers;
YUSUFALI: On the Day that the Punishment shall cover them from above them and from below them, and (a Voice) shall say: "Taste ye (the fruits) of your deeds!"
PICKTHAL: On the day when the doom will overwhelm them from above them and from underneath their feet, and He will say: Taste what ye used to do!
SHAKIR: On the day when the chastisement shall cover them from above them, and from beneath their feet; and He shall say: Taste what you did.
YUSUFALI: O My servants who believe! truly, spacious is My Earth: therefore serve ye Me - (and Me alone)!
PICKTHAL: O my bondmen who believe! Lo! My earth is spacious. Therefor serve Me only.
SHAKIR: O My servants who believe! surely My earth is vast, therefore Me alone should you serve.
YUSUFALI: Every soul shall have a taste of death in the end to Us shall ye be brought back.
PICKTHAL: Every soul will taste of death. Then unto Us ye will be returned.
SHAKIR: Every soul must taste of death, then to Us you shall be brought back.
YUSUFALI: But those who believe and work deeds of righteousness - to them shall We give a Home in Heaven,- lofty mansions beneath which flow rivers,- to dwell therein for aye;- an excellent reward for those who do (good)!-
PICKTHAL: Those who believe and do good works, them verily We shall house in lofty dwellings of the Garden underneath which rivers flow. There they will dwell secure. How sweet the guerdon of the toilers,
SHAKIR: And (as for) those who believe and do good, We will certainly give them abode in the high places in gardens beneath which rivers flow, abiding therein; how good the reward of the workers:
YUSUFALI: Those who persevere in patience, and put their trust, in their Lord and Cherisher.
PICKTHAL: Who persevere, and put their trust in their Lord!
SHAKIR: Those who are patient, and on their Lord do they rely.
YUSUFALI: How many are the creatures that carry not their own sustenance? It is Allah who feeds (both) them and you: for He hears and knows (all things).
PICKTHAL: And how many an animal there is that beareth not its own provision! Allah provideth for it and for you. He is the Hearer, the Knower.
SHAKIR: And how many a living creature that does not carry its sustenance: Allah sustains it and yourselves; and He is the Hearing, the Knowing.
YUSUFALI: If indeed thou ask them who has created the heavens and the earth and subjected the sun and the moon (to his Law), they will certainly reply, "Allah". How are they then deluded away (from the truth)?
PICKTHAL: And if thou wert to ask them: Who created the heavens and the earth, and constrained the sun and the moon (to their appointed work)? they would say: Allah. How then are they turned away?
SHAKIR: And if you ask them, Who created the heavens and the earth and made the sun and the moon subservient, they will certainly say, Allah. Whence are they then turned away?
YUSUFALI: Allah enlarges the sustenance (which He gives) to whichever of His servants He pleases; and He (similarly) grants by (strict) measure, (as He pleases): for Allah has full knowledge of all things.
PICKTHAL: Allah maketh the provision wide for whom He will of His bondmen, and straiteneth it for whom (He will). Lo! Allah is Aware of all things.
SHAKIR: Allah makes abundant the means of subsistence for whom He pleases of His servants, and straitens them for whom (He pleases) surely Allah is Cognizant of all things.
YUSUFALI: And if indeed thou ask them who it is that sends down rain from the sky, and gives life therewith to the earth after its death, they will certainly reply, "Allah!" Say, "Praise be to Allah!" But most of them understand not.
PICKTHAL: And if thou wert to ask them: Who causeth water to come down from the sky, and therewith reviveth the earth after its death? they verily would say: Allah. Say: Praise be to Allah! But most of them have no sense.
SHAKIR: And if you ask them Who is it that sends down water from the clouds, then gives life to the earth with it after its death, they will certainly say, Allah. Say: All praise is due to Allah. Nay, most of them do not understand.
29 : 64
64. Wama hathihi alhayatu alddunya illa lahwun walaAAibun wa-inna alddara al-akhirata lahiya alhayawanu law kanoo yaAAlamoona
And the life of this world is nothing but fun and frolic, whereas the Abode in the Hereafter is the real life, - if only they knew!
29 : 65
65. Fa-itha rakiboo fee alfulki daAAawoo Allaha mukhliseena lahu alddeena falamma najjahum ila albarri itha hum yushrikoona
And when they board the ships, they pray to Allah, making their faith pure for Him only; but when He brings them back to land with safety, they assign partners to Him at once -
29 : 66
66. Liyakfuroo bima ataynahum waliyatamattaAAoo fasawfa yaAAlamoona
So that they may disbelieve in that which We have given them and so that they may enjoy the comforts resulting from it. But soon they will come to know!
29 : 67
67. Awa lam yaraw anna jaAAalna haraman aminan wayutakhattafu alnnasu min hawlihim afabialbatili yu/minoona wabiniAAmati Allahi yakfuroona
Have they not seen that We have made this territory hallowed and protected it from violence while people all around it are being ravaged? Do they believe in falsehood but remain thankless to Allah for what He has given them?
29 : 68
68. Waman athlamu mimmani iftara AAala Allahi kathiban aw kaththaba bialhaqqi lamma jaahu alaysa fee jahannama mathwan lilkafireena
Who commits a worse than him that vituperates Allah or prevaricates the truth when it has come to him? Is there not a just abode in hell for the disbelievers?
29 : 69
69. Waallatheena jahadoo feena lanahdiyannahum subulana wa-inna Allaha lamaAAa almuhsineena
And as for those who strive for Us, verily We shall guide them to Our paths, and
verily Allah is always alongside those that are righteous! (R)
(Those who seek the Path of Allah shall be shown the path of righteousness; those who seek the path of penance shall be shown the path of forgiveness; those who seek the path of knowledge shall be shown the path of accomplishment; and those who seek the path of virtue shall be shown the path of the Eternal Abode!)
OTHER TRANSLATIONS BY MUHSIN, YUSUFALI, PICKTHAL AND SHAKIR:
64. And this life of the world is only amusement and play! Verily, the home of the Hereafter, that is the life indeed (i.e. the eternal life that will never end), if they but knew
65. And when they embark on a ship, they invoke Allâh, making their Faith pure for Him only, but when He brings them safely to land, behold, they give a share of their worship to others.
66. So that they become ingrate for that which We have given them, and that they take their enjoyment (as a warning and a threat), but they will come to know.
67. Have they not seen that We have made (Makkah) a sanctuary secure, and that men are being snatched away from all around them? Then do they believe in Bâtil (falsehood - polytheism, idols and all deities other than Allâh), and deny (become ingrate for) the Graces of Allâh?
68. And who does more wrong than he who invents a lie against Allâh or denies the truth (Muhammad SAW and his doctrine of Islâmic Monotheism and this Qur'ân), when it comes to him? Is there not a dwelling in Hell for disbelievers (in the Oneness of Allâh and in His Messenger Muhammad SAW)?
69. As for those who strive hard in Us (Our Cause), We will surely guide them to Our Paths (i.e. Allâh's Religion - Islâmic Monotheism). And verily, Allâh is with the Muhsinűn (good doers)."
YUSUFALI: What is the life of this world but amusement and play? but verily the Home in the Hereafter,- that is life indeed, if they but knew.
PICKTHAL: This life of the world is but a pastime and a game. Lo! the home of the Hereafter - that is Life, if they but knew.
SHAKIR: And this life of the world is nothing but a sport and a play; and as for the next abode, that most surely is the life-- did they but know!
YUSUFALI: Now, if they embark on a boat, they call on Allah, making their devotion sincerely (and exclusively) to Him; but when He has delivered them safely to (dry) land, behold, they give a share (of their worship to others)!-
PICKTHAL: And when they mount upon the ships they pray to Allah, making their faith pure for Him only, but when He bringeth them safe to land, behold! they ascribe partners (unto Him),
SHAKIR: So when they ride in the ships they call upon Allah, being sincerely obedient to Him, but when He brings them safe to the land, lo! they associate others (with Him);
YUSUFALI: Disdaining ungratefully Our gifts, and giving themselves up to (worldly) enjoyment! But soon will they know.
PICKTHAL: That they may disbelieve in that which We have given them, and that they may take their ease. But they will come to know.
SHAKIR: Thus they become ungrateful for what We have given them, so that they may enjoy; but they shall soon know.
YUSUFALI: Do they not then see that We have made a sanctuary secure, and that men are being snatched away from all around them? Then, do they believe in that which is vain, and reject the Grace of Allah?
PICKTHAL: Have they not seen that We have appointed a sanctuary immune (from violence), while mankind are ravaged all around them? Do they then believe in falsehood and disbelieve in the bounty of Allah?
SHAKIR: Do they not see that We have made a sacred territory secure, while men are carried off by force from around them? Will they still believe in the falsehood and disbelieve in the favour of Allah?
YUSUFALI: And who does more wrong than he who invents a lie against Allah or rejects the Truth when it reaches him? Is there not a home in Hell for those who reject Faith?
PICKTHAL: Who doeth greater wrong than he who inventeth a lie concerning Allah, or denieth the truth when it cometh unto him? Is not there a home in hell for disbelievers?
SHAKIR: And who is more unjust than one who forges a lie against Allah, or gives the lie to the truth when it has come to him? Will not in hell be the abode of the unbelievers?
YUSUFALI: And those who strive in Our (cause),- We will certainly guide them to our Paths: For verily Allah is with those who do right.
PICKTHAL: As for those who strive in Us, We surely guide them to Our paths, and lo! Allah is with the good.
SHAKIR: And (as for) those who strive hard for Us, We will most certainly guide them in Our ways; and Allah is most surely with the doers of good.