This Surah consists of 78 verses, 1,291 sentences, 5,075 letters and 10 Rukus
It takes its name from v. 27.
As this Surah contains the characteristics of both the Makki and the Madani Surahs, the commentators have differed as to its period of revelation, but in the light of its style and themes we are of the opinion that a part of it (vv. 1-24) was sent down in the last stage of the Makki life of the Holy Prophet a little before migration and the rest (vv. 25-78) during the first stage of his Madani life. That is why this Surah combines the characteristics of both the Makki and the Madani Surahs.
The sudden change of the style from v. 25 shows that probably vv. 25-78 were sent down in the month of Zul-Hijjah in the very first year after Hijrah This is indicated by vv. 25-41 and confirmed by the occasion of the revelation of vv. 39-40. It appears that the month of Zul-Hijjah must have brought to the immigrants nostalgic memories of their homes in Makkah and naturally they must have thought of their Sacred City and of their Hajj congregation there, and grieved to think that the mushrik Quraish had debarred them from visiting the Sacred Mosque. Therefore, they might even have been praying for and expecting Divine permission to wage war against those tyrants who had expelled them from their homes and deprived them of visiting the House of Allah and made it difficult for them to follow the way of Islam. It was at this psychological occasion that these verses were sent down. That is why the purpose for which Masjid al Haram was built has been specifically mentioned. It has been made plain that Hajj (pilgrimage) had been enjoined for the worship of One Allah. But it is an irony that afterwards it had been dedicated to the rituals of shirk and the worshippers of One Allah had been debarred from visiting it. Therefore, permission for waging war against those tyrants has been given to oust them from there and to establish the righteous way of life for establishing virtue and eradicating evil. According to Ibn Abbas, Mujahid, Urwah bin Zubair, Zaid bin Aslam, Muqatil bin Hayyan, Qatadah and other great commentators, v. 39 is the first verse that grants the Muslims permission to wage war. Collections of Hadith and books on the life of the Holy Prophet confirm that after this permission actual preparations for war were started and the first expedition was sent to the coast of the Red Sea in Safar A.H. 2, which is known as the Expedition of Waddan or Al-Abwa.
This Surah is addressed to:
1. the mushriks of Makkah
2. the wavering Muslims
3. the True Believers.
The mushriks have been warned in a forceful manner to this effect: "You have obdurately and impudently persisted in your ideas of ignorance and trusted in your deities instead of Allah, though they possess no power at all and you have repudiated the Divine Messenger. Now you will meet the same end as has been the doom of those like you before. You have only harmed yourselves by rejecting Our Prophet and by persecuting the best element of your own community; now your false deities shall not be able to save you from the wrath of God". At the same time, they have been admonished time and again for their creed of shirk and sound arguments have been given in favour of Tauhid and the Hereafter.
The wavering Muslims, who had embraced Islam but were not prepared to endure any hardship in its way, have been admonished to this effect: "What is this faith of yours? On the one hand, you are ready to believe in Allah and become His servants provided you are given peace and prosperity but, on the other, if you meet with afflictions and hardships in His Way, you discard your Allah and cease to remain His servant. You should bear in mind that this wavering attitude of yours cannot avert those misfortunes and losses which Allah has ordained for you."
As regards the true Believers, they have been addressed in two ways:
1. In a general way so as to include the common people of Arabia also.
The Believers have been told that the mushriks of Makkah had no right to debar them from visiting the Holy Mosque. They had no right to prevent anyone from performing Hajj because the Holy Mosque was not their private property. This objection was not only justified but it also acted as an effective political weapon against the Quraish. For it posed this question to the other clans of Arabia: Were the Quraish mere attendants of the Holy Mosque or its owners? It implied that if they succeeded in debarring the Muslims from Hajj without any protest from others, they would feel encouraged in future to debar from Hajj and Umrah the people of any other clan, who happened to have strained relations with the Quraish. In order to emphasize this point, the history of the construction of the Holy Mosque has been cited to show that Prophet Abraham by the Command of Allah built it and he had invited all the peoples to perform Hajj there. That is why those coming from outside had enjoyed equal rights by the local people from the very beginning. It has also been made clear that that House had not been built for the rituals of shirk but for the worship of One Allah. Thus it was sheer tyranny that the worship of Allah was being forbidden there while the worship of idols enjoyed full licence.
2. In an exclusive way.
In order to counteract the tyranny of the Quraish, the Muslims were allowed to fight with them. They were also given instructions to adopt the right and just attitude as and when they acquired power to rule in the land. Moreover, the Believers have been officially given the name of "Muslims", saying, "You are the real heirs to Abraham and you have been chosen to become witnesses of the Truth before mankind. Therefore you should establish salat and pay the zakat dues in order to become the best models of righteous life and perform Jihad for propagating the Word of Allah." (vv. 41,77, 78.) It will be worth while to keep in view the introductions to Chapters 2 (Al-Baqarah) and 8 (Al Anfal).
IMPORTANT: Please note that the Digest is based upon these outstanding translations and they have been reproduced here for the benefit of serious readers of the Quraan; the copyrights of these works are held by their respective authors/publishers from whom they can be purchased by anyone interested in acquiring them and we ardently hope that no offence will be taken by their inclusion.
Bismi Allahi alrrahmani alrraheemi
In the name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful
22 : 1
1. Ya ayyuha alnnasu ittaqoo rabbakum inna zalzalata alssaAAati shay-on AAatheemun
O mankind! Be fearful of your Lord! Verily the cataclysm of the Day of Judgement is an awesome affair!
22 : 2
2. Yawma tarawnaha tathhalu kullu murdiAAatin AAamma ardaAAat watadaAAu kullu thati hamlin hamlaha watara alnnasa sukara wama hum bisukara walakinna AAathaba Allahi shadeedun
On the day when you confront it, every nursing mother will forget her suckling
and every pregnant woman will abort her pregnancy and to you mankind would seem
as though they are sunk in stupor, though they would not be in stupor, but will
only be stupefied by the wrath of Allah!
(Yet another graphic description of the Day of Judgement the enormity of which cannot be stressed enough. It is the Day when the sky would lose its dimensions, the sun would lose its blaze, the moon would lose its luminosity, the stars would lose their sparkle, the planets would lose their trajectories, the rainbow would lose its colours, the clouds would lose their buoyancy, the mountains would lose their stability, the oceans would lose their profundity, the birds would lose their wings, the beasts would lose their truculence, the earth would lose its treasures; - a Day, as written down in the above verse, when pregnant women would abort their burden, nursing mothers would turn away from suckling and mankind would emerge from their graves, sunk in stupor, struck by fear, staggering under the burden of their sins, their glassy eyes lost in the voids surrounding them, their mouths firmly sealed and their hearts beating away from frenzy, helplessly surrendered to the inevitability of that moment, ready to face their Maker, ready to face justice, ready to accept its outcome!)
* * *
Context of Revelation : The following verses were revealed when a staunch opponent of the Prophet alleged that the Angels were Allah's daughters and that the Qur'aan is no more than fables from the past.
22 : 3
3. Wamina alnnasi man yujadilu fee Allahi bighayri AAilmin wayattabiAAu kulla shaytanin mareedin
And yet among mankind there is he who disputes over matters that concern Allah without possessing any knowledge about them and follows every rebellious devil -
22 : 4
4. Kutiba AAalayhi annahu man tawallahu faannahu yudilluhu wayahdeehi ila AAathabi alssaAAeeri
About whom it has already been decreed that whoever takes him for a friend, he will surely misguide him and lead him straight to the doom of Fire!
* * *
22 : 5
5. Ya ayyuha alnnasu in kuntum fee raybin mina albaAAthi fa-inna khalaqnakum min turabin thumma min nutfatin thumma min AAalaqatin thumma min mudghatin mukhallaqatin waghayri mukhallaqatin linubayyina lakum wanuqirru fee al-arhami ma nashao ila ajalin musamman thumma nukhrijukum tiflan thumma litablughoo ashuddakum waminkum man yutawaffa waminkum man yuraddu ila arthali alAAumuri likayla yaAAlama min baAAdi AAilmin shay-an watara al-arda hamidatan fa-itha anzalna AAalayha almaa ihtazzat warabat waanbatat min kulli zawjin baheejin
O mankind! If you are in doubt concerning the Resurrection, then remember that We created you from dust, then from a drop of seed, then from a clot of blood, then from a little lump of flesh, partly shaped and partly unshaped, so that We may make the symbols of Divinity manifest to you! We cause what We will to gestate inside the womb for a fixed term; then We bring you forth as an infant, then enable you to reach the prime of your life! And amongst you there is he who dies prematurely, and amongst you there is he who survives until the unavailing age of senility so that, after having known everything, retain nothing. And sometimes you see the earth as barren but when We sprinkle on it rain, it revives and regenerates and brings forth a myriad types of crops in lovely pairs.
(One of the most fascinating verses in the Qur'aan, it squeezes a phenomenal reality into the brevity of these words, tracing the origins of man to Adam, created out of a fistful of dust; covering his conception in the womb of his mother from a drop of semen, dwelling on the early stages of his gestation in the form of a foetus (referred to as a clot of blood), then his gradual evolution into a fully formed babe; the period of his confinement in the womb of his mother, totally at the mercy of Allah who alone has the power to determine whether or not he emerges into this world, even the precise moment when he is destined to emerge; the stages of his infancy, his progress into manhood and into senility when he becomes a different kind of infant, his knowledge and his faculties severely impaired, making him dependent on others just as he was in the beginning, subject to the inevitable proviso that he has not been called away by Allah during any of theses stages!
But the real purpose of the verse is to question the sanity of those who doubt the ability of Allah to reproduce creation after its extinction when He has already produced it out of nullity; out of a fistful of dust; out of a drop of seed; out of a clot of blood into a living, moving, pulsating and thriving human being, with a pair of eyes capable of surveying his surroundings; absorbing all images around him; transmitting them to his fully evolved brain; responding to and executing its commands with amazing alacrity; making silent demands; weeping in order to express dissatisfaction or smiling in order to express contentment! If He could achieve all that in such record time; if He could cause a new rose to bloom on the stem of the one that withered and dispersed on the day before; if He could transform brightness into darkness and darkness into brightness with clock-work precision; if He could change the seasons, keep time always on the move and adduce from it marvel after marvel so that we see the signs and admire His wondrous accomplishments, why should we even remotely doubt His ability to repeat what He has already done once before?
Towards the end, the verse also draws a parallel between the birth of a human being from a drop of seed and the sprouting of plants from earth after she has been impregnated with life bearing rain-water which He sends down from the sky so that we reflect over the full picture and acknowledge our gratitude to Him whose Will and Hand are behind them all).
22 : 6
6. Thalika bi-anna Allaha huwa alhaqqu waannahu yuhyee almawta waannahu AAala kulli shay-in qadeerun
This is because Allah is the Reality! Verily He imbues life into the lifeless and verily He is able to do all things -
22 : 7
7. Waanna alssaAAata atiyatun la rayba feeha waanna Allaha yabAAathu man fee alquboori
And the Hour will come; there is no question of doubt about it; and Allah will raise the dead from their graves to face it.
* * *
Context of Revelation : The following verses were revealed with reference to a vicious clique of disbelievers, headed by a sworn enemy of the Prophet, who were relentless in their criticism of him and unrestrained in their vituperation of Allah)
22 : 8
8. Wamina alnnasi man yujadilu fee Allahi bighayri AAilmin wala hudan wala kitabin muneerin
And among mankind is he who altercates over Allah without having any knowledge about the subject nor any proof nor a Scripture which could shed some light on it, -
22 : 9
9. Thaniya AAitfihi liyudilla AAan sabeeli Allahi lahu fee alddunya khizyun wanutheequhu yawma alqiyamati AAathaba alhareeqi
Turning away with conceit in order to deflect men from the path of Allah! For him in this life is humiliation and then on the Day of Resurrection We will give him a taste of the doom of fire!
22 : 10
10. Thalika bima qaddamat yadaka waanna Allaha laysa bithallamin lilAAabeedi
(And to him it will be said) : 'This is for that which your own hands have sent ahead of you because Allah Himself is never unjust towards His bondsmen (R)
OTHER TRANSLATIONS BY MUHSIN, YUSUFALI, PICKTHAL AND SHAKIR:
1. O mankind! Fear your Lord and be dutiful to Him! Verily, the earthquake of the Hour (of Judgement) is a terrible thing.
2. The Day you shall see it, every nursing mother will forget her nursling, and every pregnant one will drop her load, and you shall see mankind as in a drunken state, yet they will not be drunken, but severe will be the Torment of Allāh.
3. And among mankind is he who disputes concerning Allāh, without knowledge, and follows every rebellious (disobedient to Allāh) Shaitān (devil) (devoid of each and every kind of good).
4. For him (the devil) it is decreed that whosoever follows him, he will mislead him, and will drive him to the torment of the Fire. [Tafsir At-Tabarī]
5. O mankind! If you are in doubt about the Resurrection, then verily! We have created you (i.e. Adam) from dust, then from a Nutfah (mixed drops of male and female sexual discharge i.e. offspring of Adam), then from a clot (a piece of thick coagulated blood) then from a little lump of flesh, some formed and some unformed (miscarriage), that We may make (it) clear to you (i.e. to show you Our Power and Ability to do what We will). And We cause whom We will to remain in the wombs for an appointed term, then We bring you out as infants, then (give you growth) that you may reach your age of full strength. And among you there is he who dies (young), and among you there is he who is brought back to the miserable old age, so that he knows nothing after having known. And you see the earth barren, but when We send down water (rain) on it, it is stirred (to life), it swells and puts forth every lovely kind (of growth).
6. That is because Allāh, He is the Truth, and it is He Who gives life to the dead, and it is He Who is Able to do all things.
7. And surely, the Hour is coming, there is no doubt about it, and certainly, Allāh will resurrect those who are in the graves.
8. And among men is he who disputes about Allāh, without knowledge or guidance, or a Book giving light (from Allāh),
9. Bending his neck in pride (far astray from the Path of Allāh), and leading (others) too (far) astray from the Path of Allāh. For him there is disgrace in this worldly life, and on the Day of Resurrection We shall make him taste the torment of burning (Fire).
10. That is because of what your hands have sent forth, and verily, Allāh is not unjust to (His) slaves.
YUSUFALI: O mankind! fear your Lord! for the convulsion of the Hour (of Judgment) will be a thing terrible!
PICKTHAL: O mankind! Fear your Lord. Lo! the earthquake of the Hour (of Doom) is a tremendous thing.
SHAKIR: O people! guard against (the punishment from) your Lord; surely the violence of the hour is a grievous thing.
YUSUFALI: The Day ye shall see it, every mother giving suck shall forget her suckling-babe, and every pregnant female shall drop her load (unformed): thou shalt see mankind as in a drunken riot, yet not drunk: but dreadful will be the Wrath of Allah.
PICKTHAL: On the day when ye behold it, every nursing mother will forget her nursling and every pregnant one will be delivered of her burden, and thou (Muhammad) wilt see mankind as drunken, yet they will not be drunken, but the Doom of Allah will be strong (upon them).
SHAKIR: On the day when you shall see it, every woman giving suck shall quit in confusion what she suckled, and every pregnant woman shall lay down her burden, and you shall see men intoxicated, and they shall not be intoxicated but the chastisement of Allah will be severe.
YUSUFALI: And yet among men there are such as dispute about Allah, without knowledge, and follow every evil one obstinate in rebellion!
PICKTHAL: Among mankind is he who disputeth concerning Allah without knowledge, and followeth each froward devil;
SHAKIR: And among men there is he who disputes about Allah without knowledge and follows every rebellious Shaitan;
YUSUFALI: About the (Evil One) it is decreed that whoever turns to him for friendship, him will he lead astray, and he will guide him to the Penalty of the Fire.
PICKTHAL: For him it is decreed that whoso taketh him for friend, he verily will mislead him and will guide him to the punishment of the Flame.
SHAKIR: Against him it is written down that whoever takes him for a friend, he shall lead him astray and conduct him to the chastisement of the burning fire.
YUSUFALI: O mankind! if ye have a doubt about the Resurrection, (consider) that We created you out of dust, then out of sperm, then out of a leech-like clot, then out of a morsel of flesh, partly formed and partly unformed, in order that We may manifest (our power) to you; and We cause whom We will to rest in the wombs for an appointed term, then do We bring you out as babes, then (foster you) that ye may reach your age of full strength; and some of you are called to die, and some are sent back to the feeblest old age, so that they know nothing after having known (much), and (further), thou seest the earth barren and lifeless, but when We pour down rain on it, it is stirred (to life), it swells, and it puts forth every kind of beautiful growth (in pairs).
PICKTHAL: O mankind! if ye are in doubt concerning the Resurrection, then lo! We have created you from dust, then from a drop of seed, then from a clot, then from a little lump of flesh shapely and shapeless, that We may make (it) clear for you. And We cause what We will to remain in the wombs for an appointed time, and afterward We bring you forth as infants, then (give you growth) that ye attain your full strength. And among you there is he who dieth (young), and among you there is he who is brought back to the most abject time of life, so that, after knowledge, he knoweth naught. And thou (Muhammad) seest the earth barren, but when We send down water thereon, it doth thrill and swell and put forth every lovely kind (of growth).
SHAKIR: O people! if you are in doubt about the raising, then surely We created you from dust, then from a small seed, then from a clot, then from a lump of flesh, complete in make and incomplete, that We may make clear to you; and We cause what We please to stay in the wombs till an appointed time, then We bring you forth as babies, then that you may attain your maturity; and of you is he who is caused to die, and of you is he who is brought back to the worst part of life, so that after having knowledge he does not know anything; and you see the earth sterile land, but when We send down on it the water, it stirs and swells and brings forth of every kind a beautiful herbage.
YUSUFALI: This is so, because Allah is the Reality: it is He Who gives life to the dead, and it is He Who has power over all things.
PICKTHAL: That is because Allah, He is the Truth and because He quickeneth the dead, and because He is Able to do all things;
SHAKIR: This is because Allah is the Truth and because He gives life to the dead and because He has power over all things
YUSUFALI: And verily the Hour will come: there can be no doubt about it, or about (the fact) that Allah will raise up all who are in the graves.
PICKTHAL: And because the Hour will come, there is no doubt thereof; and because Allah will raise those who are in the graves.
SHAKIR: And because the hour is coming, there is no doubt about it; and because Allah shall raise up those who are in the graves.
YUSUFALI: Yet there is among men such a one as disputes about Allah, without Knowledge, without Guidance, and without a Book of Enlightenment,-
PICKTHAL: And among mankind is he who disputeth concerning Allah without knowledge or guidance or a scripture giving light,
SHAKIR: And among men there is he who disputes about Allah without knowledge and without guidance and without an illuminating book,
YUSUFALI: (Disdainfully) bending his side, in order to lead (men) astray from the Path of Allah: for him there is disgrace in this life, and on the Day of Judgment We shall make him taste the Penalty of burning (Fire).
PICKTHAL: Turning away in pride to beguile (men) from the way of Allah. For him in this world is ignominy, and on the Day of Resurrection We make him taste the doom of burning.
SHAKIR: Turning away haughtily that he may lead (others) astray from the way of Allah; for him is disgrace in this world, and on the day of resurrection We will make him taste the punishment of burning:
YUSUFALI: (It will be said): "This is because of the deeds which thy hands sent forth, for verily Allah is not unjust to His servants.
PICKTHAL: (And unto him it will be said): This is for that which thy two hands have sent before, and because Allah is no oppressor of His slaves.
SHAKIR: This is due to what your two hands have sent before, and because Allah is not in the least unjust to the servants.
Context of Revelation : The following verses were revealed with reference to a tribe who used to embrace Islam and adhere to it in times of prosperity but renounce it in times of asperity, blaming it upon their religion.
22 : 11
11. Wamina alnnasi man yaAAbudu Allaha AAala harfin fa-in asabahu khayrun itmaanna bihi wa-in asabat-hu fitnatun inqalaba AAala wajhihi khasira alddunya waal-akhirata thalika huwa alkhusranu almubeenu
Among mankind is he who worships Allah only marginally. If something good befalls him, he is content; but if he were to come up against an ordeal, he is quick to turn his face away! He loses both here as well as in the Hereafter, and his is the most irretrievable loss!
22 : 12
12. YadAAoo min dooni Allahi ma la yadurruhu wama la yanfaAAuhu thalika huwa alddalalu albaAAeedu
He invokes in the place of Allah those who neither hurt him nor help him! And his is the most incorrigible error!
22 : 13
13. YadAAoo laman darruhu aqrabu min nafAAihi labi/sa almawla walabi/sa alAAasheeru
He invokes those who are more likely to harm him than to benefit him! Verily how
unreliable are they as guardians and how pernicious are they as friends
tribe to which reference is made in the verse was called Aarib, whose chief used
to pat himself on the back whenever good things happened to his folks for having
embraced Islam; if a son was born in his clan, he attributed it to himself and
to his perspicacity; if their trade brought them an unexpected windfall, or
their crops produced a bumper yield, or the cattle grew in more than expected
numbers, it was all down to him and the religion which he himself embraced and
recommended to his tribe; but if anything went wrong; if there was an unexpected
drought resulting in crop failure; if afflictions plagued his folks or if there
were too many raids resulting in loss of life, he blamed it on the new religion
and lost no time in denouncing and even renouncing it).
* * *
22 : 14
14. Inna Allaha yudkhilu allatheena amanoo waAAamiloo alssalihati jannatin tajree min tahtiha al-anharu inna Allaha yafAAalu ma yureedu
Verily Allah will enter those who believe and perform righteous deeds into Gardens underneath which rivers flow! And verily Allah does whatever it pleases Him to do!
22 : 15
15. Man kana yathunnu an lan yansurahu Allahu fee alddunya waal-akhirati falyamdud bisababin ila alssama-i thumma liyaqtaAA falyanthur hal yuthhibanna kayduhu ma yagheethu
If there is anyone who deludes himself that Allah will not give to his prophet victory in this world and in the Hereafter, let him tie a rope to the ceiling of his house and hang himself; and then let him see whether his self castigation alters that towards which he is so full of envy. - even to the slightest extent!
22 : 16
16. Wakathalika anzalnahu ayatin bayyinatin waanna Allaha yahdee man yureedu
Thus We have revealed these Our lucent revelations and verily Allah gives guidance to those whom He will!
22 : 17
17. Inna allatheena amanoo waallatheena hadoo waalssabi-eena waalnnasara waalmajoosa waallatheena ashrakoo inna Allaha yafsilu baynahum yawma alqiyamati inna Allaha AAala kulli shay-in shaheedun
Verily those who believe this Revelation and those who are Jews and the Sabaeans and the Christians and the Magians and the idolaters, Allah will adjudicate between them on the Day of Resurrection. Verily all things are within the purview of Allah!
22 : 18
18. Alam tara anna Allaha yasjudu lahu man fee alssamawati waman fee al-ardi waalshshamsu waalqamaru waalnnujoomu waaljibalu waalshshajaru waalddawabbu wakatheerun mina alnnasi wakatheerun haqqa AAalayhi alAAathabu waman yuhini Allahu fama lahu min mukrimin inna Allaha yafAAalu ma yasha/o
Seen you not how all those who dwell in the heavens and upon the earth prostrate
to Allah, including the sun and the moon and the stars and the hills and the
trees and the beasts and many among mankind; while there are also many amongst
them who deserve to be punished. He whom Allah vilifies, none will respect him.
Verily Allah does what He will!
(Everything in the physical universe, be it a tiny mole creeping in and out of
mud holes or the mighty sun dazzling in the sky and keeping the entire earth
bright with its infinite resplendence; be it the blossoms in our garden which we
can see and touch or the seven colours of the rainbow which we can see but
cannot touch; be it our wives in our arms whom we can cuddle and kiss or the
misty eyed Hurs in paradise about whom we read but cannot see; be it the stars
that twinkle in the vastness of the sky or be it the planets that exist beyond
our reach, beyond our vision and beyond the bounds of our knowledge and
comprehension; they all prostrate to Him because they are dependent upon Him and
their very existence testifies to His boundless hegemony).
22 : 19
19. Hathani khasmani ikhtasamoo fee rabbihim faallatheena kafaroo quttiAAat lahum thiyabun min narin yusabbu min fawqi ruoosihimu alhameemu
These two groups are opponents of one another who dispute concerning their Lord!
But as for those who disbelieve, garments of fire would be kept in readiness for
them and scalding water poured down their heads -
two opponents mentioned in the verse are those who surrender to Allah and those
who defy Him; those who accept His messenger and those who repudiate him; those
who walk aright and those who stray away into the voids of darkness; those who
offer regular worship, enjoin virtue and share the wealth which is given to them
by Allah with others and those who worship idols, promote evil and hoard their
22 : 20
20. Yusharu bihi ma fee butoonihim waaljuloodu
Which will cause everything inside their bellies to melt and their skins to singe;
22 : 21
21. Walahum maqamiAAu min hadeedin
And for them also await hooked rods cast in metal!
22 : 22
22. Kullama aradoo an yakhrujoo minha min ghammin oAAeedoo feeha wathooqoo AAathaba alhareeqi
Whenever anguish chokes them and they try to get away, they would be driven back into it (and it will be said to them) : 'Taste now the flavour of burning! (R)
OTHER TRANSLATIONS BY MUHSIN, YUSUFALI, PICKTHAL AND SHAKIR:
11. And among mankind is he who worships Allāh as it were, upon the very edge (i.e. in doubt); if good befalls him, he is content therewith; but if a trial befalls him, he turns back on his face (i.e. reverts back to disbelief after embracing Islām). He loses both this world and the Hereafter. That is the evident loss.
12. He calls besides Allāh unto that which hurts him not, nor profits him. That is a straying far away.
13. He calls unto him whose harm is nearer than his profit; certainly, and evil Maula (patron) and certainly an evil friend!
14. Truly, Allāh will admit those who believe (in Islāmic Monotheism) and do righteous good deeds (according to the Qur'ān and the Sunnah) to Gardens underneath which rivers flow (in Paradise). Verily, Allāh does what He wills.
15. Whoever thinks that Allāh will not help him (Muhammad SAW) in this world and in the Hereafter, let him stretch out a rope to the ceiling and let him strangle himself. Then let him see whether his plan will remove that whereat he rages!
16. Thus have We sent it (this Qur'ān) down (to Muhammad SAW) as clear signs, evidences and proofs, and surely, Allāh guides whom He wills.
17. Verily, those who believe (in Allāh and in His Messenger Muhammad SAW), and those who are Jews, and the Sabians, and the Christians, and the Magians, and those who worship others besides Allāh, truly, Allāh will judge between them on the Day of Resurrection. Verily! Allāh is Witness over all things.
18. See you not that to Allāh prostrates whoever is in the heavens and whoever is on the earth, and the sun, and the moon, and the stars, and the mountains, and the trees, and Ad-Dawāb (moving living creatures, beasts, etc.), and many of mankind? But there are many (men) on whom the punishment is justified. And whomsoever Allāh disgraces, none can honour him. Verily! Allāh does what He wills.
19. These two opponents (believers and disbelievers) dispute with each other about their Lord; then as for those who disbelieve, garments of fire will be cut out for them, boiling water will be poured down over their heads.
20. With it will melt or vanish away what is within their bellies, as well as (their) skins.
21. And for them are hooked rods of iron (to punish them).
22. Every time they seek to get away therefrom, from anguish, they will be driven back therein, and (it will be) said to them: "Taste the torment of burning!"
YUSUFALI: There are among men some who serve Allah, as it were, on the verge: if good befalls them, they are, therewith, well content; but if a trial comes to them, they turn on their faces: they lose both this world and the Hereafter: that is loss for all to see!
PICKTHAL: And among mankind is he who worshippeth Allah upon a narrow marge so that if good befalleth him he is content therewith, but if a trial befalleth him, he falleth away utterly. He loseth both the world and the Hereafter. That is the sheer loss.
SHAKIR: And among men is he who serves Allah (standing) on the verge, so that if good befalls him he is satisfied therewith, but if a trial afflict him he turns back headlong; he loses this world as well as the hereafter; that is a manifest loss.
YUSUFALI: They call on such deities, besides Allah, as can neither hurt nor profit them: that is straying far indeed (from the Way)!
PICKTHAL: He calleth, beside Allah, unto that which hurteth him not nor benefiteth him. That is the far error.
SHAKIR: He calls besides Allah upon that which does not harm him and that which does not profit him, that is the great straying.
YUSUFALI: (Perhaps) they call on one whose hurt is nearer than his profit: evil, indeed, is the patron, and evil the companion (or help)!
PICKTHAL: He calleth unto him whose harm is nearer than his benefit; verily an evil patron and verily an evil friend!
SHAKIR: He calls upon him whose harm is nearer than his profit; evil certainly is the guardian and evil certainly is the associate.
YUSUFALI: Verily Allah will admit those who believe and work righteous deeds, to Gardens, beneath which rivers flow: for Allah carries out all that He plans.
PICKTHAL: Lo! Allah causeth those who believe and do good works to enter Gardens underneath which rivers flow. Lo! Allah doth what He intendeth.
SHAKIR: Surely Allah will cause those who believe and do good deeds to enter gardens beneath which rivers flow, surely Allah does what He pleases.
YUSUFALI: If any think that Allah will not help him (His Messenger) in this world and the Hereafter, let him stretch out a rope to the ceiling and cut (himself) off: then let him see whether his plan will remove that which enrages (him)!
PICKTHAL: Whoso is wont to think (through envy) that Allah will not give him (Muhammad) victory in the world and the Hereafter (and is enraged at the thought of his victory), let him stretch a rope up to the roof (of his dwelling), and let him hang himself. Then let him see whether his strategy dispelleth that whereat he rageth!.
SHAKIR: Whoever thinks that Allah will not assist him in this life and the hereafter, let him stretch a rope to the ceiling, then let him cut (it) off, then let him see if his struggle will take away that at which he is enraged.
YUSUFALI: Thus have We sent down Clear Signs; and verily Allah doth guide whom He will!
PICKTHAL: Thus We reveal it as plain revelations, and verily Allah guideth whom He will.
SHAKIR: And thus have We revealed it, being clear arguments, and because Allah guides whom He intends.
YUSUFALI: Those who believe (in the Qur'an), those who follow the Jewish (scriptures), and the Sabians, Christians, Magians, and Polytheists,- Allah will judge between them on the Day of Judgment: for Allah is witness of all things.
PICKTHAL: Lo! those who believe (this revelation), and those who are Jews, and the Sabaeans and the Christians and the Magians and the idolaters - Lo! Allah will decide between them on the Day of Resurrection. Lo! Allah is Witness over all things.
SHAKIR: Surely those who believe and those who are Jews and the Sabeans and the Christians and the Magians and those who associate (others with Allah)-- surely Allah will decide between them on the day of resurrection; surely Allah is a witness over all things.
YUSUFALI: Seest thou not that to Allah bow down in worship all things that are in the heavens and on earth,- the sun, the moon, the stars; the hills, the trees, the animals; and a great number among mankind? But a great number are (also) such as are fit for Punishment: and such as Allah shall disgrace,- None can raise to honour: for Allah carries out all that He wills.
PICKTHAL: Hast thou not seen that unto Allah payeth adoration whosoever is in the heavens and whosoever is in the earth, and the sun, and the moon, and the stars, and the hills, and the trees, and the beasts, and many of mankind, while there are many unto whom the doom is justly due. He whom Allah scorneth, there is none to give him honour. Lo! Allah doeth what He will.
SHAKIR: Do you not see that Allah is He, Whom obeys whoever is in the heavens and whoever is in the earth, and the sun and the moon and the stars, and the mountains and the trees, and the animals and many of the people; and many there are against whom chastisement has become necessary; and whomsoever Allah abases, there is none who can make him honorable; surely Allah does what He pleases.
YUSUFALI: These two antagonists dispute with each other about their Lord: But those who deny (their Lord),- for them will be cut out a garment of Fire: over their heads will be poured out boiling water.
PICKTHAL: These twain (the believers and the disbelievers) are two opponents who contend concerning their Lord. But as for those who disbelieve, garments of fire will be cut out for them; boiling fluid will be poured down on their heads,
SHAKIR: These are two adversaries who dispute about their Lord; then (as to) those who disbelieve, for them are cut out garments of fire, boiling water shall be poured over their heads.
YUSUFALI: With it will be scalded what is within their bodies, as well as (their) skins.
PICKTHAL: Whereby that which is in their bellies, and their skins too, will be melted;
SHAKIR: With it shall be melted what is in their bellies and (their) skins as well.
YUSUFALI: In addition there will be maces of iron (to punish) them.
PICKTHAL: And for them are hooked rods of iron.
SHAKIR: And for them are whips of iron.
YUSUFALI: Every time they wish to get away therefrom, from anguish, they will be forced back therein, and (it will be said), "Taste ye the Penalty of Burning!"
PICKTHAL: Whenever, in their anguish, they would go forth from thence they are driven back therein and (it is said unto them): Taste the doom of burning.
SHAKIR: Whenever they will desire to go forth from it, from grief, they shall be turned back into it, and taste the chastisement of burning.
22 : 23
23. Inna Allaha yudkhilu allatheena amanoo waAAamiloo alssalihati jannatin tajree min tahtiha al-anharu yuhallawna feeha min asawira min thahabin walu/lu-an walibasuhum feeha hareerun
Allah will cause those who believe and perform righteous deeds to enter in Gardens underneath which rivers flow, where they will be given bracelets of gold and pearls to wear and where their raiment will be made of silk!
22 : 24
24. Wahudoo ila alttayyibi mina alqawli wahudoo ila sirati alhameedi
For, they have been guided (in this life) to the purest of speeches; and they have been guided to the path of Him who is the most Praiseworthy of all.
* * *
Context of Revelation : The following verse was revealed when the idolaters of Mecca were sparing no scruples to prevent the Prophet and his adherents from entering or even approaching the vicinity of the Ka'ba.
22 : 25
25. Inna allatheena kafaroo wayasuddoona AAan sabeeli Allahi waalmasjidi alharami allathee jaAAalnahu lilnnasi sawaan alAAakifu feehi waalbadi waman yurid feehi bi-ilhadin bithulmin nuthiqhu min AAathabin aleemin
Verily those who disbelieve and obstruct others from the path of Allah and from
the Sacred Mosque that We have intended for all mankind alike - the residents as
well as the visitors - and those who perpetrate evil and contemplate profanities
within its perimeters, We shall requite them with a grievous punishment! (R)
(It should be noted that as Allah has set aside the Sacred Mosque, or al-Masjid al-Haram, to be a pivotal place for all mankind to assemble for offering worship to their Lord at any time when they could afford to go and from whichever part of the world, the land around this Holy place is forbidden from being sold or mortgaged by anyone, its caretakers or its rulers. It is also forbidden that its residents are discriminated in preference to the visitors, both of whom have equal rights of access to it; it is forbidden that any sort of profanities are committed within its precincts or armed combats are allowed to take place resulting in bloodshed, regardless of the academics of right and wrong, or cruelty to animals is perpetrated, or those who have taken asylum under its roof are driven out of there by force)
OTHER TRANSLATIONS BY MUHSIN, YUSUFALI, PICKTHAL AND SHAKIR:
23. Truly, Allāh will admit those who believe (in the Oneness of Allāh Islāmic Monotheism) and do righteous good deeds, to Gardens underneath which rivers flow (in Paradise), wherein they will be adorned with bracelets of gold and pearls and their garments therein will be of silk.
24. And they are guided (in this world) unto goodly speech (i.e. Lā ilāha ill-Allāh, Alhamdu lillāh, recitation of the Qur'ān, etc.) and they are guided to the Path of Him (i.e. Allāh's Religion of Islāmic Monotheism), Who is Worthy of all praises.
25. Verily! Those who disbelieve and hinder (men) from the Path of Allāh, and from Al-Masjid-al-Harām (at Makkah) which We have made (open) to (all) men, the dweller in it and the visitor from the country are equal there [as regards its sanctity and pilgrimage (Hajj and 'Umrah)]. And whoever inclines to evil actions therein or to do wrong (i.e. practise polytheism and leave Islāmic Monotheism), him We shall cause to taste a painful torment.
YUSUFALI: Allah will admit those who believe and work righteous deeds, to Gardens beneath which rivers flow: they shall be adorned therein with bracelets of gold and pearls; and their garments there will be of silk.
PICKTHAL: Lo! Allah will cause those who believe and do good works to enter Gardens underneath which rivers flow, wherein they will be allowed armlets of gold, and pearls, and their raiment therein will be silk.
SHAKIR: Surely Allah will make those who believe and do good deeds enter gardens beneath which rivers flow; they shall be adorned therein with bracelets of gold and (with) pearls, and their garments therein shall be of silk.
YUSUFALI: For they have been guided (in this life) to the purest of speeches; they have been guided to the Path of Him Who is Worthy of (all) Praise.
PICKTHAL: They are guided unto gentle speech; they are guided unto the path of the Glorious One.
SHAKIR: And they are guided to goodly words and they are guided into the path of the Praised One.
YUSUFALI: As to those who have rejected (Allah), and would keep back (men) from the Way of Allah, and from the Sacred Mosque, which We have made (open) to (all) men - equal is the dweller there and the visitor from the country - and any whose purpose therein is profanity or wrong-doing - them will We cause to taste of a most Grievous Penalty.
PICKTHAL: Lo! those who disbelieve and bar (men) from the way of Allah and from the Inviolable Place of Worship, which We have appointed for mankind together, the dweller therein and the nomad: whosoever seeketh wrongful partiality therein, him We shall cause to taste a painful doom.
SHAKIR: Surely (as for) those who disbelieve, and hinder (men) from Allah's way and from the Sacred Mosque which We have made equally for all men, (for) the dweller therein and (for) the visitor, and whoever shall incline therein to wrong unjustly, We will make him taste of a painful chastisement.
22 : 26
26. Wa-ith bawwa/na li-ibraheema makana albayti an la tushrik bee shay-an watahhir baytiya liltta-ifeena waalqa-imeena waalrrukkaAAi alssujoodi
And (remember) when We directed Abraham to the Sacred House saying : 'Ascribe not partners to Me and sanctify My House for those who go around it and for those who stand and for those who bow and prostrate;
22 : 27
27. Waaththin fee alnnasi bialhajji ya/tooka rijalan waAAala kulli damirin ya/teena min kulli fajjin AAameeqin
And invite all mankind to perform the pilgrimage. And they will surge towards you on foot and on the backs of many a weary camel and they will come from far and near!
22 : 28
28. Liyashhadoo manafiAAa lahum wayathkuroo isma Allahi fee ayyamin maAAloomatin AAala ma razaqahum min baheemati al-anAAami fakuloo minha waatAAimoo alba-isa alfaqeera
So that they may receive their guerdon and mention the name of Allah on
appointed days to consecrate the cattle which He has blessed them with, to eat
some of it and to feed the destitute and the impoverished!
(This guerdon is of two kinds : one material and the other spiritual. At no other time of worship are we permitted to engage in activities which relate to our material well-being such as trade, working in our shops, carrying out financial transactions, looking for jobs or attending interviews to get them. If anything, we are required to dissociate ourselves from these matters and concentrate our attention wholly upon our Lord and on what we are doing so that we are not distracted by our material concerns.
During pilgrimage, however, an exception is made. We are allowed to involve ourselves in any legitimate commercial activity that improves our lot and enhances our provision.
the spiritual guerdon, needless to say what an enormous difference a momentous
event like that makes to the spiritual well being of the pilgrim : a new
dimension is added to our lives the intensity of which is better experienced
22 : 29
29. Thumma lyaqdoo tafathahum walyoofoo nuthoorahum walyattawwafoo bialbayti alAAateeqi
Then let them conclude the rites prescribed for them and fulfil their vows and go around the Sacred House!
22 : 30
30. Thalika waman yuAAaththim hurumati Allahi fahuwa khayrun lahu AAinda rabbihi waohillat lakumu al-anAAamu illa ma yutla AAalaykum faijtaniboo alrrijsa mina al-awthani waijtaniboo qawla alzzoori
Such is the command! And whoever edifies the rituals of Allah, it will be for his own good in the eyes of his Lord! Lawful to you are all kinds of cattle save those about whom you have already been apprised. So keep away from the filth of idols and keep away from mendacity, -
22 : 31
31. Hunafaa lillahi ghayra mushrikeena bihi waman yushrik biAllahi fakaannama kharra mina alssama-i fatakhtafuhu alttayru aw tahwee bihi alrreehu fee makanin saheeqin
Turning to none but Allah and not ascribing partners to Him, for he who ascribes
partners to Allah is like him who has dropped from the sky, to be pounced upon
by the birds or to be blown away by the wind!
are several thought provoking and soul stirring parallels drawn in this verse,
which describe the plight of the idolater. Faith,
a high and well elevated plain, is likened to the
Sky, the highest possible level visible to the naked eye;
he who renounces his faith to the falling man; his
earthly cravings which shatter his spiritualism are likened to the
birds of prey who tear apart his body into
shreds and then disperse it hither and thither, and
Satan is likened to the whirl blasts of ill
winds which carry him away and abandon him in the isolation of
22 : 32
32. Thalika waman yuAAaththim shaAAa-ira Allahi fa-innaha min taqwa alquloobi
Such is the command! And whoever venerates the oblations consecrated in the name of Allah, it would be for the purification of his own heart!
22 : 33
33. Lakum feeha manafiAAu ila ajalin musamman thumma mahilluha ila albayti alAAateeqi
There indeed are advantages for you in your cattle for a certain time, but after that they are to be brought to the sacred House as oblations. (R)
OTHER TRANSLATIONS BY MUHSIN, YUSUFALI, PICKTHAL AND SHAKIR:
26. And (remember) when We showed Ibrāhim (Abraham) the site of the (Sacred) House (the Ka'bah at Makkah) (saying): "Associate not anything (in worship) with Me, [Lā ilāha ill-Allāh (none has the right to be worshipped but Allāh Islāmic Monotheism], and sanctify My House for those who circumambulate it, and those who stand up for prayer, and those who bow (submit themselves with humility and obedience to Allāh), and make prostration (in prayer, etc.);"
27. And proclaim to mankind the Hajj (pilgrimage). They will come to you on foot and on every lean camel, they will come from every deep and distant (wide) mountain highway (to perform Hajj).
28. That they may witness things that are of benefit to them (i.e. reward of Hajj in the Hereafter, and also some worldly gain from trade, etc.), and mention the Name of Allāh on appointed days (i.e. 10th, 11th, 12th, and 13th day of Dhul-Hijjāh), over the beast of cattle that He has provided for them (for sacrifice) (at the time of their slaughtering by saying: Bismillah, Wallāhu-Akbar, Allāhumma Minka wa Ilaik). Then eat thereof and feed therewith the poor who have a very hard time.
29. Then let them complete the prescribed duties (Manāsik of Hajj) for them, and perform their vows, and circumambulate the Ancient House (the Ka'bah at Makkah).
30. That (Manāsik prescribed duties of Hajj is the obligation that mankind owes to Allāh), and whoever honours the sacred things of Allāh, then that is better for him with his Lord. The cattle are lawful to you, except those (that will be) mentioned to you (as exceptions). So shun the abomination (worshipping) of idol, and shun lying speech (false statements)
31. Hunafā' Lillāh (i.e. to worship none but Allāh), not associating partners (in worship, etc.) unto Him and whoever assigns partners to Allāh, it is as if he had fallen from the sky, and the birds had snatched him, or the wind had thrown him to a far off place.
32. Thus it is [what has been mentioned in the above said Verses (27, 28, 29, 30, 31) is an obligation that mankind owes to Allāh]. And whosoever honours the Symbols of Allāh, then it is truly from the piety of the heart.
33. In them (cattle offered for sacrifice) are benefits for you for an appointed term, and afterwards they are brought for sacrifice unto the ancient House (the Haram - sacred territory of Makkah city).
YUSUFALI: Behold! We gave the site, to Abraham, of the (Sacred) House, (saying): "Associate not anything (in worship) with Me; and sanctify My House for those who compass it round, or stand up, or bow, or prostrate themselves (therein in prayer).
PICKTHAL: And (remember) when We prepared for Abraham the place of the (holy) House, saying: Ascribe thou no thing as partner unto Me, and purify My House for those who make the round (thereof) and those who stand and those who bow and make prostration.
SHAKIR: And when We assigned to Ibrahim the place of the House, saying: Do not associate with Me aught, and purify My House for those who make the circuit and stand to pray and bow and prostrate themselves.
YUSUFALI: "And proclaim the Pilgrimage among men: they will come to thee on foot and (mounted) on every kind of camel, lean on account of journeys through deep and distant mountain highways;
PICKTHAL: And proclaim unto mankind the pilgrimage. They will come unto thee on foot and on every lean camel; they will come from every deep ravine,
SHAKIR: And proclaim among men the Pilgrimage: they will come to you on foot and on every lean camel, coming from every remote path,
YUSUFALI: "That they may witness the benefits (provided) for them, and celebrate the name of Allah, through the Days appointed, over the cattle which He has provided for them (for sacrifice): then eat ye thereof and feed the distressed ones in want.
PICKTHAL: That they may witness things that are of benefit to them, and mention the name of Allah on appointed days over the beast of cattle that He hath bestowed upon them. Then eat thereof and feed therewith the poor unfortunate.
SHAKIR: That they may witness advantages for them and mention the name of Allah during stated days over what He has given them of the cattle quadrupeds, then eat of them and feed the distressed one, the needy.
YUSUFALI: "Then let them complete the rites prescribed for them, perform their vows, and (again) circumambulate the Ancient House."
PICKTHAL: Then let them make an end of their unkemptness and pay their vows and go around the ancient House.
SHAKIR: Then let them accomplish their needful acts of shaving and cleansing, and let them fulfil their vows and let them go round the Ancient House.
YUSUFALI: Such (is the Pilgrimage): whoever honours the sacred rites of Allah, for him it is good in the Sight of his Lord. Lawful to you (for food in Pilgrimage) are cattle, except those mentioned to you (as exception): but shun the abomination of idols, and shun the word that is false,-
PICKTHAL: That (is the command). And whoso magnifieth the sacred things of Allah, it will be well for him in the sight of his Lord. The cattle are lawful unto you save that which hath been told you. So shun the filth of idols, and shun lying speech,
SHAKIR: That (shall be so); and whoever respects the sacred ordinances of Allah, it is better for him with his Lord; and the cattle are made lawful for you, except that which is recited to you, therefore avoid the uncleanness of the idols and avoid false words,
YUSUFALI: Being true in faith to Allah, and never assigning partners to Him: if anyone assigns partners to Allah, is as if he had fallen from heaven and been snatched up by birds, or the wind had swooped (like a bird on its prey) and thrown him into a far-distant place.
PICKTHAL: Turning unto Allah (only), not ascribing partners unto Him; for whoso ascribeth partners unto Allah, it is as if he had fallen from the sky and the birds had snatched him or the wind had blown him to a far-off place.
SHAKIR: Being upright for Allah, not associating aught with Him and whoever associates (others) with Allah, it is as though he had fallen from on high, then the birds snatch him away or the wind carries him off to a far-distant place.
YUSUFALI: Such (is his state): and whoever holds in honour the symbols of Allah, (in the sacrifice of animals), such (honour) should come truly from piety of heart.
PICKTHAL: That (is the command). And whoso magnifieth the offerings consecrated to Allah, it surely is from devotion of the hearts,
SHAKIR: That (shall be so); and whoever respects the signs of Allah, this surely is (the outcome) of the piety of hearts.
YUSUFALI: In them ye have benefits for a term appointed: in the end their place of sacrifice is near the Ancient House.
PICKTHAL: Therein are benefits for you for an appointed term; and afterward they are brought for sacrifice unto the ancient House.
SHAKIR: You have advantages in them till a fixed time, then their place of sacrifice is the Ancient House.
22 : 34
34. Walikulli ommatin jaAAalna mansakan liyathkuroo isma Allahi AAala ma razaqahum min baheemati al-anAAami fa-ilahukum ilahun wahidun falahu aslimoo wabashshiri almukhbiteena
And to every nation We have ordained a ritual that they may mention the name of Allah to consecrate the slaughter of cattle which He has given them for food! Your God is One God so surrender to Him alone! And give good tidings (O Mohammed) to the humble -
22 : 35
35. Allatheena itha thukira Allahu wajilat quloobuhum waalssabireena AAala ma asabahum waalmuqeemee alssalati wamimma razaqnahum yunfiqoona
Whose hearts fill with awe whenever the name of Allah is mentioned and who are patient in the face of adversity and who perpetuate worship and who spend of that which We have given them!
22 : 36
36. Waalbudna jaAAalnaha lakum min shaAAa-iri Allahi lakum feeha khayrun faothkuroo isma Allahi AAalayha sawaffa fa-itha wajabat junoobuha fakuloo minha waatAAimoo alqaniAAa waalmuAAtarra kathalika sakhkharnaha lakum laAAallakum tashkuroona
And the most appropriate for oblation are the camels whom We have designated as Our symbols for you; and they are of good use to you, so mention the name of Allah over them when they are lined up for slaughter. When their flanks drop, eat some of it and feed those who wait and those who beg. Thus have We subjugated the animals to you so that you acknowledge gratitude!
22 : 37
37. Lan yanala Allaha luhoomuha wala dimaoha walakin yanaluhu alttaqwa minkum kathalika sakhkharaha lakum litukabbiroo Allaha AAala ma hadakum wabashshiri almuhsineena
Neither their flesh nor their blood reaches Allah but your dedication does reach
Him Thus have We subjugated them to you so that you may glorify Allah because He
has given you guidance! And deliver glad tidings (O Mohammed) to the
verse succinctly under-pins the fact that sacrificing an animal in the name of
Allah is a symbolic gesture, contrary to the
precepts of the Pagan Arabs who used to believe that they can appease their gods
by offering them blood of animals. We are told in clear terms that neither blood
nor flesh of the offering reaches Allah, but only
the dedication of those offering it. Allah has made man the master of the
physical earth and as promised to Adam made provision in it to sustain him over
an appointed term. Cattle made lawful for us to eat is one such provision,
provided they are consecrated with the name of Allah at the time of slaughter so
that we are able to make a clear distinction between
slaughter in the name of Allah and bloodshed for the sake of bloodshed, and so
that the solemn act of taking life is edified by pronouncing His name).
22 : 38
38. Inna Allaha yudafiAAu AAani allatheena amanoo inna Allaha la yuhibbu kulla khawwanin kafoorin
Allah does ward off evil from those who believe but assuredly Allah does not cherish those who are treacherous and ungrateful! (R)
OTHER TRANSLATIONS BY MUHSIN, YUSUFALI, PICKTHAL AND SHAKIR:
34. And for every nation We have appointed religious ceremonies, that they may mention the Name of Allāh over the beast of cattle that He has given them for food. And your Ilāh (God) is One Ilāh (God Allāh), so you must submit to Him Alone (in Islām). And (O Muhammad SAW) give glad tidings to the Mukhbitin [those who obey Allāh with humility and are humble from among the true believers of Islāmic Monotheism],
35. Whose hearts are filled with fear when Allāh is mentioned; who patiently bear whatever may befall them (of calamities); and who perform AsSalāt (Iqāmat-as-Salāt), and who spend (in Allāh's Cause) out of what We have provided them.
36. And the Budn (cows, oxen, or camels driven to be offered as sacrifices by the pilgrims at the sanctuary of Makkah.) We have made for you as among the Symbols of Allāh, therein you have much good. So mention the Name of Allāh over them when they are drawn up in lines (for sacrifice). Then, when they are down on their sides (after slaughter), eat thereof, and feed the beggar who does not ask (men), and the beggar who asks (men). Thus have We made them subject to you that you may be grateful.
37. It is neither their meat nor their blood that reaches Allāh, but it is piety from you that reaches Him. Thus have We made them subject to you that you may magnify Allāh for His Guidance to you. And give glad tidings (O Muhammad SAW) to the Muhsinūn (doers of good).
38. Truly, Allāh defends those who believe. Verily! Allāh likes not any treacherous ingrate to Allāh [those who disobey Allāh but obey Shaitān (Satan)].
YUSUFALI: To every people did We appoint rites (of sacrifice), that they might celebrate the name of Allah over the sustenance He gave them from animals (fit for food). But your god is One God: submit then your wills to Him (in Islam): and give thou the good news to those who humble themselves,-
PICKTHAL: And for every nation have We appointed a ritual, that they may mention the name of Allah over the beast of cattle that He hath given them for food; and your god is One God, therefor surrender unto Him. And give good tidings (O Muhammad) to the humble,
SHAKIR: And to every nation We appointed acts of devotion that they may mention the name of Allah on what He has given them of the cattle quadrupeds; so your god is One God, therefore to Him should you submit, and give good news to the humble,
YUSUFALI: To those whose hearts when Allah is mentioned, are filled with fear, who show patient perseverance over their afflictions, keep up regular prayer, and spend (in charity) out of what We have bestowed upon them.
PICKTHAL: Whose hearts fear when Allah is mentioned, and the patient of whatever may befall them, and those who establish worship and who spend of that We have bestowed on them.
SHAKIR: (To) those whose hearts tremble when Allah is mentioned, and those who are patient under that which afflicts them, and those who keep up prayer, and spend (benevolently) out of what We have given them.
YUSUFALI: The sacrificial camels we have made for you as among the symbols from Allah: in them is (much) good for you: then pronounce the name of Allah over them as they line up (for sacrifice): when they are down on their sides (after slaughter), eat ye thereof, and feed such as (beg not but) live in contentment, and such as beg with due humility: thus have We made animals subject to you, that ye may be grateful.
PICKTHAL: And the camels! We have appointed them among the ceremonies of Allah. Therein ye have much good. So mention the name of Allah over them when they are drawn up in lines. Then when their flanks fall (dead), eat thereof and feed the beggar and the suppliant. Thus have We made them subject unto you, that haply ye may give thanks.
SHAKIR: And (as for) the camels, We have made them of the signs of the religion of Allah for you; for you therein is much good; therefore mention the name of Allah on them as they stand in a row, then when they fall down eat of them and feed the poor man who is contented and the beggar; thus have We made them subservient to you, that you may be grateful.
YUSUFALI: It is not their meat nor their blood, that reaches Allah: it is your piety that reaches Him: He has thus made them subject to you, that ye may glorify Allah for His Guidance to you and proclaim the good news to all who do right.
PICKTHAL: Their flesh and their food reach not Allah, but the devotion from you reacheth Him. Thus have We made them subject unto you that ye may magnify Allah that He hath guided you. And give good tidings (O Muhammad) to the good.
SHAKIR: There does not reach Allah their flesh nor their blood, but to Him is acceptable the guarding (against evil) on your part; thus has He made them subservient to you, that you may magnify Allah because He has guided you aright; and give good news to those who do good (to others).
YUSUFALI: Verily Allah will defend (from ill) those who believe: verily, Allah loveth not any that is a traitor to faith, or show ingratitude.
PICKTHAL: Lo! Allah defendeth those who are true. Lo! Allah loveth not each treacherous ingrate.
SHAKIR: Surely Allah will defend those who believe; surely Allah does not love any one who is unfaithful, ungrateful.
Context of Revelation : The following verses were revealed after the emigration of the Prophet to Madina, for the first time making it lawful for the believers to strike back at those who had been sparing no scruples in persecuting him and all his adherents.
22 : 39
39. Othina lillatheena yuqataloona bi-annahum thulimoo wa-inna Allaha AAala nasrihim laqadeerun
Sanction to retaliate is hereby given to those who have been victimized. And verily Allah has the power to help those -
22 : 40
40. Allatheena okhrijoo min diyarihim bighayri haqqin illa an yaqooloo rabbuna Allahu walawla dafAAu Allahi alnnasa baAAdahum bibaAAdin lahuddimat sawamiAAu wabiyaAAun wasalawatun wamasajidu yuthkaru feeha ismu Allahi katheeran walayansuranna Allahu man yansuruhu inna Allaha laqawiyyun AAazeezun
Who have been unjustly expelled from their homes because they said : 'Our Lord is Allah!' - for, if Allah had not let certain men to be repelled by means of the others - then all the monasteries and churches and tabernacles and mosques wherein Allah's name is extensively mentioned would have surely been razed to the ground! Verily Allah does help him who helps uphold His word! Verily Allah is the Almighty and the Omnipotent!
22 : 41
41. Allatheena in makkannahum fee al-ardi aqamoo alssalata waatawoo alzzakata waamaroo bialmaAAroofi wanahaw AAani almunkari walillahi AAaqibatu al-omoori
And those who, if We give them primacy in the land, would perpetuate worship and pay to the deserving their due and enjoin kindness and proscribe evil. And to Allah belongs the final outcome of all the events!
22 : 42
42. Wa-in yukaththibooka faqad kaththabat qablahum qawmu noohin waAAadun wathamoodu
If they oppugn you (Mohammed), then (remember that) before you the folks of Noah also oppugned Our messengers, as did the tribes of Aad and Thamud, -
22 : 43
43. Waqawmu ibraheema waqawmu lootin
And the folk of Abraham and of Lot -
22 : 44
44. Waas-habu madyana wakuththiba moosa faamlaytu lilkafireena thumma akhathtuhum fakayfa kana nakeeri
And the dwellers in Midian! And Moses was also oppugned. I gave the disbelievers a long rope and then suddenly seized them! And now behold! How appalling was My stricture!
22 : 45
45. Fakaayyin min qaryatin ahlaknaha wahiya thalimatun fahiya khawiyatun AAala AAurooshiha wabi/rin muAAattalatin waqasrin masheedin
How many a community did We annihilate because of their sinfulness so that they now lie upside down in the debris of their ruins, - a dried up well here and a crushed tower there!
22 : 46
46. Afalam yaseeroo fee al-ardi fatakoona lahum quloobun yaAAqiloona biha aw athanun yasmaAAoona biha fa-innaha la taAAma al-absaru walakin taAAma alquloobu allatee fee alssudoori
Have they not travelled in the land with hearts that could absorb and with ears
that could hear? For verily it is not the eyes that become blind but it is
the hearts inside their bosoms that often wear the blindfold!
(The human heart is at the core of our existence. It maintains a constant supply of blood to the brain, which controls our physical functions. It is also the seat of our emotions, our feelings, our sentiments, our ethos and our conscience, Without it, we are no better than the beasts that roam the wild. It makes us what we are; it has its own pair of eyes which sees differently from what we see with ours; it has its ears with which it often hears what we tend to miss; even when we wear blindfolds on our eyes and plug our ears, it goes on seeing and hearing!
verse is aimed at those disbelievers and idolaters who, despite their extensive
travels across the metes and bounds of their land, and of the land surrounding
their land, fail to notice the plight of communities destroyed by Allah in
retaliation for their misdeeds and learn lessons from them, because it is not
their eyes and ears that are incarcerated, but it is their hearts that have
hardened and become impervious to their surroundings).
22 : 47
47. WayastaAAjiloonaka bialAAathabi walan yukhlifa Allahu waAAdahu wa-inna yawman AAinda rabbika kaalfi sanatin mimma taAAuddoona
Yet they are in such haste for you to bring upon them the Doom! Allah never fails to keep His promise. Verily a day with Allah equals a thousand years by the measure of your calculations!
22 : 48
48. Wakaayyin min qaryatin amlaytu laha wahiya thalimatun thumma akhathtuha wa-ilayya almaseeru
And how many communities there are whom I tolerated for a long time regardless
of their sinfulness! Then I seized them, for it is to Me that all must
(The above verses contain sharp reminders to the idolaters not to hasten their doom but to make use of the respite given to them constructively and ameliorate themselves, bearing in their minds that, whereas nothing could make Him shorten that respite, nothing would stop Him from taking them to task after it comes to an end, either! It is, therefore, utterly foolish to measure this respite in terms of time because time ceases to exist in His sphere, as is clarified in verse 47 A day with Him equals a thousand years by our standards! He is not limited by time as we are; He is the Eternal and the Infinite. He was present when the Dinosaurs roamed the earth and He would be present long after the earth is destroyed by the onset of all Apocalyptic Cataclysms).
OTHER TRANSLATIONS BY MUHSIN, YUSUFALI, PICKTHAL AND SHAKIR:
39. Permission to fight is given to those (i.e. believers against disbelievers), who are fighting them, (and) because they (believers) have been wronged, and surely, Allāh is Able to give them (believers) victory
40. Those who have been expelled from their homes unjustly only because they said: "Our Lord is Allāh." - For had it not been that Allāh checks one set of people by means of another, monasteries, churches, synagogues, and mosques, wherein the Name of Allāh is mentioned much would surely have been pulled down. Verily, Allāh will help those who help His (Cause). Truly, Allāh is All-Strong, All-Mighty.
41. Those (Muslim rulers) who, if We give them power in the land, (they) order for Iqamat-as-Salāt. [i.e. to perform the five compulsory congregational Salāt (prayers) (the males in mosques)], to pay the Zakāt and they enjoin Al-Ma'rūf (i.e. Islāmic Monotheism and all that Islām orders one to do), and forbid Al-Munkar (i.e. disbelief, polytheism and all that Islām has forbidden) [i.e. they make the Qur'ān as the law of their country in all the spheres of life]. And with Allāh rests the end of (all) matters (of creatures).
42. And if they belie you (O Muhammad SAW), so were belied the Prophets before them, (by) the people of Nūh (Noah), 'Ad and Thamūd,
43. And the people of Ibrāhim (Abraham) and the people of Lout (Lot),
44. And the dwellers of Madyan (Midian); and belied was Mūsa (Moses), but I granted respite to the disbelievers for a while, then I seized them, and how (terrible) was My Punishment (against their wrong-doing).
45. And many a township have We destroyed while it was given to wrong-doing, so that it lies in ruins (up to this day), and (many) a deserted well and lofty castles!
46. Have they not travelled through the land, and have they hearts wherewith to understand and ears wherewith to hear? Verily, it is not the eyes that grow blind, but it is the hearts which are in the breasts that grow blind.
47. And they ask you to hasten on the torment! And Allāh fails not His Promise. And verily, a day with your Lord is as a thousand years of what you reckon.
48. And many a township did I give respite while it was given to wrong-doing. Then (in the end) I seized it (with punishment). And to Me is the (final) return (of all).
YUSUFALI: To those against whom war is made, permission is given (to fight), because they are wronged;- and verily, Allah is most powerful for their aid;-
PICKTHAL: Sanction is given unto those who fight because they have been wronged; and Allah is indeed Able to give them victory;
SHAKIR: Permission (to fight) is given to those upon whom war is made because they are oppressed, and most surely Allah is well able to assist them;
YUSUFALI: (They are) those who have been expelled from their homes in defiance of right,- (for no cause) except that they say, "our Lord is Allah". Did not Allah check one set of people by means of another, there would surely have been pulled down monasteries, churches, synagogues, and mosques, in which the name of Allah is commemorated in abundant measure. Allah will certainly aid those who aid his (cause);- for verily Allah is full of Strength, Exalted in Might, (able to enforce His Will).
PICKTHAL: Those who have been driven from their homes unjustly only because they said: Our Lord is Allah - For had it not been for Allah's repelling some men by means of others, cloisters and churches and oratories and mosques, wherein the name of Allah is oft mentioned, would assuredly have been pulled down. Verily Allah helpeth one who helpeth Him. Lo! Allah is Strong, Almighty -
SHAKIR: Those who have been expelled from their homes without a just cause except that they say: Our Lord is Allah. And had there not been Allah's repelling some people by others, certainly there would have been pulled down cloisters and churches and synagogues and mosques in which Allah's name is much remembered; and surely Allah will help him who helps His cause; most surely Allah is Strong, Mighty.
YUSUFALI: (They are) those who, if We establish them in the land, establish regular prayer and give regular charity, enjoin the right and forbid wrong: with Allah rests the end (and decision) of (all) affairs.
PICKTHAL: Those who, if We give them power in the land, establish worship and pay the poor-due and enjoin kindness and forbid iniquity. And Allah's is the sequel of events.
SHAKIR: Those who, should We establish them in the land, will keep up prayer and pay the poor-rate and enjoin good and forbid evil; and Allah's is the end of affairs.
YUSUFALI: If they treat thy (mission) as false, so did the peoples before them (with their prophets),- the People of Noah, and 'Ad and Thamud;
PICKTHAL: If they deny thee (Muhammad), even so the folk of Noah, and (the tribes of) A'ad and Thamud, before thee, denied (Our messengers);
SHAKIR: And if they reject you, then already before you did the people of Nuh and Ad and Samood reject (prophets).
YUSUFALI: Those of Abraham and Lut;
PICKTHAL: And the folk of Abraham and the folk of Lot;
SHAKIR: And the people of Ibrahim and the people of Lut,
YUSUFALI: And the Companions of the Madyan People; and Moses was rejected (in the same way). But I granted respite to the Unbelievers, and (only) after that did I punish them: but how (terrible) was my rejection (of them)!
PICKTHAL: (And) the dwellers in Midian. And Moses was denied; but I indulged the disbelievers a long while, then I seized them, and how (terrible) was My abhorrence!
SHAKIR: As well as those of Madyan and Musa (too) was rejected, but I gave respite to the unbelievers, then did I overtake them, so how (severe) was My disapproval.
YUSUFALI: How many populations have We destroyed, which were given to wrong-doing? They tumbled down on their roofs. And how many wells are lying idle and neglected, and castles lofty and well-built?
PICKTHAL: How many a township have We destroyed while it was sinful, so that it lieth (to this day) in ruins, and (how many) a deserted well and lofty tower!
SHAKIR: So how many a town did We destroy while it was unjust, so it was fallen down upon its roofs, and (how many a) deserted well and palace raised high.
YUSUFALI: Do they not travel through the land, so that their hearts (and minds) may thus learn wisdom and their ears may thus learn to hear? Truly it is not their eyes that are blind, but their hearts which are in their breasts.
PICKTHAL: Have they not travelled in the land, and have they hearts wherewith to feel and ears wherewith to hear? For indeed it is not the eyes that grow blind, but it is the hearts, which are within the bosoms, that grow blind.
SHAKIR: Have they not travelled in the land so that they should have hearts with which to understand, or ears with which to hear? For surely it is not the eyes that are blind, but blind are the hearts which are in the breasts.
YUSUFALI: Yet they ask thee to hasten on the Punishment! But Allah will not fail in His Promise. Verily a Day in the sight of thy Lord is like a thousand years of your reckoning.
PICKTHAL: And they will bid thee hasten on the Doom, and Allah faileth not His promise, but lo! a Day with Allah is as a thousand years of what ye reckon.
SHAKIR: And they ask you to hasten on the punishment, and Allah will by no means fail in His promise, and surely a day with your Lord is as a thousand years of what you number.
YUSUFALI: And to how many populations did I give respite, which were given to wrong-doing? in the end I punished them. To me is the destination (of all).
PICKTHAL: And how many a township did I suffer long though it was sinful! Then I grasped it. Unto Me is the return.
SHAKIR: And how many a town to which I gave respite while it was unjust, then I overtook it, and to Me is the return.
22 : 49
49. Qul ya ayyuha alnnasu innama ana lakum natheerun mubeenun
Say (O Mohammed) : 'O mankind! I am merely a warner to you -
22 : 50
50. Faallatheena amanoo waAAamiloo alssalihati lahum maghfiratun warizqun kareemun
'For those who believe and perform righteous deeds, there is redemption and a most generous provision;
22 : 51
51. Waallatheena saAAaw fee ayatina muAAajizeena ola-ika as-habu aljaheemi
But those who strive to corrupt Our revelations, they belong to the Fire!
22 : 52
52. Wama arsalna min qablika min rasoolin wala nabiyyin illa itha tamanna alqa alshshaytanu fee omniyyatihi fayansakhu Allahu ma yulqee alshshaytanu thumma yuhkimu Allahu ayatihi waAllahu AAaleemun hakeemun
And in the case of every messenger and prophet whom We sent before you, it so
happened that, whenever they framed a desire, Satan invariably added something
of his own vanity to it. But Allah will delete that which Satan has inserted,
and Allah will surely safeguard that which He has revealed to you, - for Allah
is Erudite and Wise! -
(So severe is the vendetta Satan seeks against his adversaries - the seed of Adam - even Prophets and messengers of Allah are no exception to him. On those occasions when, trounced by adverse circumstances, persecuted by enemies, driven in tight corners and into desperation, if they entertain thoughts in their minds which violate the principles by which they live, such as a desire for wealth in order to help the down-trodden in their camp or to find better resources to equip themselves for the righteous battles they are led to fight, the devil instantly jumps in to exploit their moment of weakness and inserts into their thoughts what was not even remotely present in their minds.
The verse reassures the Prophet that Allah was always there to protect them from the ruse of the devil by deflecting his mischief towards those who have a disease in their hearts.
However, some commentators opine that the verse was revealed in response to a specific incident that occurred to the Prophet. According to them, he used to recite the verses of Qur'aan as and when they were revealed very slowly so that those who were slow in grasping their meaning had the time to reflect, and those who were fast in memorizing them had the time to memorize, without realizing that the pauses in recitation were being used by Satan to whisper in their ears disparaging words which had nothing to do with his recitation.
The Prophet is reassured in these verses that Allah would delete everything that
has been maliciously inserted by Satan; that Allah would safeguard the contents
of the Qur'aan in its purest form and that He has the Knowledge and the Wisdom
to prevent His word from being corrupted even to the slightest degree).
22 : 53
53. LiyajAAala ma yulqee alshshaytanu fitnatan lillatheena fee quloobihim maradun waalqasiyati quloobuhum wa-inna alththalimeena lafee shiqaqin baAAeedin
So that He may make that which the devil inserted a temptation for those in whose hearts there is a disease and those whose hearts have hardened, - and verily these are the reprobates who are at loggerheads with each other -.
22 : 54
54. WaliyaAAlama allatheena ootoo alAAilma annahu alhaqqu min rabbika fayu/minoo bihi fatukhbita lahu quloobuhum wa-inna Allaha lahadi allatheena amanoo ila siratin mustaqeemin
And that those who are given knowledge may know that it is the Truth from their Lord so that they may believe in it and their hearts may open to it with humility! And verily Allah will guide the believers on to the Righteous path.
22 : 55
55. Wala yazalu allatheena kafaroo fee miryatin minhu hatta ta/tiyahumu alssaAAatu baghtatan aw ya/tiyahum AAathabu yawmin AAaqeemin
The disbelievers will remain plunged in doubt concerning it until the Hour
catches up with them unawares or until there comes to them the cataclysm of an
those who have been imbued with knowledge because of which they are aware of the
inevitability of the Hour, those who have deprived themselves of that knowledge
and chosen to remain in the dark would be caught unawares when the horrors of
the awesome Day land upon them, without giving them the time to prepare, the
chance to repent or the opportunity to seek His lenity).
22 : 56
56. Almulku yawma-ithin lillahi yahkumu baynahum faallatheena amanoo waAAamiloo alssalihati fee jannati alnnaAAeemi
The Sovereignty on that day would belong to Allah and He will judge between them. So whilst those who believed and performed righteous deeds would be in Gardens of delight -
22 : 57
57. Waallatheena kafaroo wakaththaboo bi-ayatina faola-ika lahum AAathabun muheenun
Those who disbelieved and vituperated Our revelations, - for them would be an opprobrious castigation! (R)
OTHER TRANSLATIONS BY MUHSIN, YUSUFALI, PICKTHAL AND SHAKIR:
49. Say (O Muhammad SAW): "O mankind! I am (sent) to you only as a plain warner."
50. So those who believe (in the Oneness of Allāh Islāmic Monotheism) and do righteous good deeds, for them is forgiveness and Rizqūn Karīm (generous provision, i.e. Paradise).
51. But those who strive against Our Ayāt (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.), to frustrate and obstruct them, they will be dwellers of the Hell-fire.
52. Never did We send a Messenger or a Prophet before you, but; when he did recite the revelation or narrated or spoke, Shaitān (Satan) threw (some falsehood) in it. But Allāh abolishes that which Shaitān (Satan) throws in. Then Allāh establishes His Revelations. And Allāh is All-Knower, All-Wise:
53. That He (Allāh) may make what is thrown in by Shaitān (Satan) a trial for those in whose hearts is a disease (of hypocrisy and disbelief) and whose hearts are hardened. And certainly, the Zalimūn (polytheists and wrong-doers, etc.) are in an opposition far-off (from the truth against Allāh's Messenger and the believers).
54. And that those who have been given knowledge may know that it (this Qur'ān) is the truth from your Lord, and that they may believe therein, and their hearts may submit to it with humility. And verily, Allāh is the Guide of those who believe, to the Straight Path.
55. And those who disbelieve will not cease to be in doubt about it (this Qur'ān) until the Hour comes suddenly upon them, or there comes to them the torment of the Day after which there will be no night (i.e. the Day of Resurrection).
56. The sovereignty on that Day will be that of Allāh (the one Who has no partners). He will judge between them. So those who believed (in the Oneness of Allāh Islāmic Monotheism) and did righteous good deeds will be in Gardens of delight (Paradise).
57. And those who disbelieved and belied Our Verses (of this Qur'ān), for them will be a humiliating torment (in Hell).
YUSUFALI: Say: "O men! I am (sent) to you only to give a Clear Warning:
PICKTHAL: Say: O mankind! I am only a plain warner unto you.
SHAKIR: Say: O people! I am only a plain warner to you.
YUSUFALI: "Those who believe and work righteousness, for them is forgiveness and a sustenance most generous.
PICKTHAL: Those who believe and do good works, for them is pardon and a rich provision;
SHAKIR: Then (as for) those who believe and do good, they shall have forgiveness and an honorable sustenance.
YUSUFALI: "But those who strive against Our Signs, to frustrate them,- they will be Companions of the Fire."
PICKTHAL: While those who strive to thwart Our revelations, such are rightful owners of the Fire.
SHAKIR: And (as for) those who strive to oppose Our communications, they shall be the inmates of the flaming fire.
YUSUFALI: Never did We send a messenger or a prophet before thee, but, when he framed a desire, Satan threw some (vanity) into his desire: but Allah will cancel anything (vain) that Satan throws in, and Allah will confirm (and establish) His Signs: for Allah is full of Knowledge and Wisdom:
PICKTHAL: Never sent We a messenger or a prophet before thee but when He recited (the message) Satan proposed (opposition) in respect of that which he recited thereof. But Allah abolisheth that which Satan proposeth. Then Allah establisheth His revelations. Allah is Knower, Wise;
SHAKIR: And We did not send before you any messenger or prophet, but when he desired, the Shaitan made a suggestion respecting his desire; but Allah annuls that which the Shaitan casts, then does Allah establish His communications, and Allah is Knowing, Wise,
YUSUFALI: That He may make the suggestions thrown in by Satan, but a trial for those in whose hearts is a disease and who are hardened of heart: verily the wrong-doers are in a schism far (from the Truth):
PICKTHAL: That He may make that which the devil proposeth a temptation for those in whose hearts is a disease, and those whose hearts are hardened - Lo! the evil-doers are in open schism -
SHAKIR: So that He may make what the Shaitan casts a trial for those in whose hearts is disease and those whose hearts are hard; and most surely the unjust are in a great opposition,
YUSUFALI: And that those on whom knowledge has been bestowed may learn that the (Qur'an) is the Truth from thy Lord, and that they may believe therein, and their hearts may be made humbly (open) to it: for verily Allah is the Guide of those who believe, to the Straight Way.
PICKTHAL: And that those who have been given knowledge may know that it is the truth from thy Lord, so that they may believe therein and their hearts may submit humbly unto Him. Lo! Allah verily is guiding those who believe unto a right path.
SHAKIR: And that those who have been given the knowledge may know that it is the truth from your Lord, so they may believe in it and their hearts may be lowly before it; and most surely Allah is the Guide of those who believe into a right path.
YUSUFALI: Those who reject Faith will not cease to be in doubt concerning (Revelation) until the Hour (of Judgment) comes suddenly upon them, or there comes to them the Penalty of a Day of Disaster.
PICKTHAL: And those who disbelieve will not cease to be in doubt thereof until the Hour come upon them unawares, or there come unto them the doom of a disastrous day.
SHAKIR: And those who disbelieve shall not cease to be in doubt concerning it until the hour overtakes them suddenly, or there comes on them the chastisement of a destructive day.
YUSUFALI: On that Day of Dominion will be that of Allah: He will judge between them: so those who believe and work righteous deeds will be in Gardens of Delight.
PICKTHAL: The Sovereignty on that day will be Allah's, He will judge between them. Then those who believed and did good works will be in Gardens of Delight,
SHAKIR: The kingdom on that day shall be Allah's; He will judge between them; so those who believe and do good will be in gardens of bliss.
YUSUFALI: And for those who reject Faith and deny our Signs, there will be a humiliating Punishment.
PICKTHAL: While those who disbelieved and denied Our revelations, for them will be a shameful doom.
SHAKIR: And (as for) those who disbelieve in and reject Our communications, these it is who shall have a disgraceful chastisement.
22 : 58
58. Waallatheena hajaroo fee sabeeli Allahi thumma qutiloo aw matoo layarzuqannahumu Allahu rizqan hasanan wa-inna Allaha lahuwa khayru alrraziqeena
And those who gave up their homes in the way of Allah and then were either slain or died, Allah will give them a seemly provision! And verily the provision of Allah is the best provision of all!
* * *
Context of Revelation : The following verse was revealed when the close associates of the Prophet wanted to know how Allah would reward those who fought alongside him throughout his campaigns but did not attain martyrdom.
22 : 59
59. Layudkhilannahum mudkhalan yardawnahu wa-inna Allaha laAAaleemun haleemun
He will take them to a place they will dearly cherish! And verily Allah is Erudite and Compassionate!
Context of Revelation : The following verses were revealed when the Meccan idolaters commenced hostilities towards the believers during the Sacred month when bloodshed is forbidden and carried out an indiscriminate campaign of bloodshed.
22 : 60
60. Thalika waman AAaqaba bimithli ma AAooqiba bihi thumma bughiya AAalayhi layansurannahu Allahu inna Allaha laAAafuwwun ghafoorun
Such is the command! Whoever retaliates to the same extent to which he was made
to suffer and was then persecuted once again, assuredly Allah will help him.
Allah is Forgiving and Relenting.
(Forgiveness and tolerance being at the core of Islam because it reflects one of the most fundamental aspects of Divinity, Muslims at the outset are admonished to be lenient and forbearing; to neutralize evil with good and respond to haste with patience, but during the times when such an indulgent reaction is not possible or not practicable, they are allowed to retaliate by inflicting on their adversaries no more injuries than what they sustained, so that they get even with them. However, if they are persecuted again after the scales have been levelled, they become entitled to seeking protection from Allah, who would surely protect them regardless of their faults.
should be borne in mind that, unlike the soft approach of turning the other
cheek which the kind-hearted Jesus enjoined upon his adherents, the Qur'aan
advocated the policy of an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth, placing
retaliation at the crux of survival, but at all times insisting that retaliation
should be proportionate to the injuries sustained and not indiscriminate, as
echoed in this verse).
22 : 61
61. Thalika bi-anna Allaha yooliju allayla fee alnnahari wayooliju alnnahara fee allayli waanna Allaha sameeAAun baseerun
This is because Allah has the power to add a part of the night to the day and a part of the day to the night; and because Allah hears everything and knows everything.
22 : 62
62. Thalika bi-anna Allaha huwa alhaqqu waanna ma yadAAoona min doonihi huwa albatilu waanna Allaha huwa alAAaliyyu alkabeeru
And because Allah alone is the truth while the rest of the others whom they worship in His place are false; and because Allah is the most Exalted and the Almighty!
* * *
22 : 63
63. Alam tara anna Allaha anzala mina alssama-i maan fatusbihu al-ardu mukhdarratan inna Allaha lateefun khabeerun
Do you not behold how Allah sends down water from the sky, which causes the earth to rejuvenate its greenery within a day? Verily Allah is Divine and Sentient!
22 : 64
64. Lahu ma fee alssamawati wama fee al-ardi wa-inna Allaha lahuwa alghaniyyu alhameedu
To Him belongs whatever is in the heavens and whatever is on the earth. And
verily Allah is Unconstrained and Consummate! (R)
(Of the many attributes of Allah the above verses list but a few, reiterating that His authority over His creation is absolute. So Omnipotent is He that He can overlap a part of the night on the day and overlap a part of the day on the night; so Omnipresent is He that nothing escapes His ears or His eyes; so Bounteous is He that He sends down water to the dead earth and revives it so that man and beast may find provision therein. Yet He does not ask anything in return for His mercies from His creatures other than tacit obedience, resolute faith and righteous behaviour).
OTHER TRANSLATIONS BY MUHSIN, YUSUFALI, PICKTHAL AND SHAKIR:
58. Those who emigrated in the Cause of Allāh and after that were killed or died, surely, Allāh will provide a good provision for them. And verily, it is Allāh Who indeed is the Best of those who make provision.
59. Truly, He will make them enter an entrance with which they shall be well-pleased, and verily, Allāh indeed is All-Knowing, Most Forbearing.
60. That is so. And whoever has retaliated with the like of that which he was made to suffer, and then has again been wronged, Allāh will surely help him. Verily! Allāh indeed is Oft-Pardoning, Oft-Forgiving.
61. That is because Allāh merges the night into the day, and He merges the day into the night. And verily, Allāh is All-Hearer, All-Seer.
62. That is because Allāh He is the Truth (the only True God of all that exists, Who has no partners or rivals with Him), and what they (the polytheists) invoke besides Him, it is Bātil (falsehood) And verily, Allāh He is the Most High, the Most Great.
63. See you not that Allāh sends down water (rain) from the sky, and then the earth becomes green? Verily, Allāh is the Most Kind and Courteous, Well-Acquainted with all things.
64. To Him belongs all that is in the heavens and all that is on the earth. And verily, Allāh He is Rich (Free of all wants), Worthy of all praise.
YUSUFALI: Those who leave their homes in the cause of Allah, and are then slain or die,- On them will Allah bestow verily a goodly Provision: Truly Allah is He Who bestows the best provision.
PICKTHAL: Those who fled their homes for the cause of Allah and then were slain or died, Allah verily will provide for them a good provision. Lo! Allah, He verily is Best of all who make provision.
SHAKIR: And (as for) those who fly in Allah's way and are then slain or die, Allah will most certainly grant them a goodly sustenance, and most surely Allah is the best Giver of sustenance.
YUSUFALI: Verily He will admit them to a place with which they shall be well pleased: for Allah is All-Knowing, Most Forbearing.
PICKTHAL: Assuredly He will cause them to enter by an entry that they will love. Lo! Allah verily is Knower, Indulgent.
SHAKIR: He will certainly cause them to enter a place of entrance which they shall be well pleased with, and most surely Allah is Knowing, Forbearing.
YUSUFALI: That (is so). And if one has retaliated to no greater extent than the injury he received, and is again set upon inordinately, Allah will help him: for Allah is One that blots out (sins) and forgives (again and again).
PICKTHAL: That (is so). And whoso hath retaliated with the like of that which he was made to suffer and then hath (again) been wronged, Allah will succour him. Lo! Allah verily is Mild, Forgiving.
SHAKIR: That (shall be so); and he who retaliates with the like of that with which he has been afflicted and he has been oppressed, Allah will most certainly aid him; most surely Allah is Pardoning, Forgiving.
YUSUFALI: That is because Allah merges night into day, and He merges day into night, and verily it is Allah Who hears and sees (all things).
PICKTHAL: That is because Allah maketh the night to pass into the day and maketh the day to pass into the night, and because Allah is Hearer, Seer.
SHAKIR: That is because Allah causes the night to enter into the day and causes the day to enter into the night, and because Allah is Hearing, Seeing.
YUSUFALI: That is because Allah - He is the Reality; and those besides Him whom they invoke,- they are but vain Falsehood: verily Allah is He, Most High, Most Great.
PICKTHAL: That is because Allah, He is the True, and that whereon they call instead of Him, it is the false, and because Allah, He is the High, the Great.
SHAKIR: That is because Allah is the Truth, and that what they call upon besides Him-- that is the falsehood, and because Allah is the High, the Great.
YUSUFALI: Seest thou not that Allah sends down rain from the sky, and forthwith the earth becomes clothed with green? for Allah is He Who understands the finest mysteries, and is well-acquainted (with them).
PICKTHAL: Seest thou not how Allah sendeth down water from the sky and then the earth becometh green upon the morrow? Lo! Allah is Subtile, Aware.
SHAKIR: Do you not see that Allah sends down water from the cloud so the earth becomes green? Surely Allah is Benignant, Aware.
YUSUFALI: To Him belongs all that is in the heavens and on earth: for verily Allah,- He is free of all wants, Worthy of all Praise.
PICKTHAL: Unto Him belongeth all that is in the heavens and all that is in the earth. Lo! Allah, He verily is the Absolute, the Owner of Praise.
SHAKIR: His is whatsoever is in the heavens and whatsoever is in the earth; and most surely Allah is the Self-sufficient, the Praised.
22 : 65
65. Alam tara anna Allaha sakhkhara lakum ma fee al-ardi waalfulka tajree fee albahri bi-amrihi wayumsiku alssamaa an taqaAAa AAala al-ardi illa bi-ithnihi inna Allaha bialnnasi laraoofun raheemun
Have you not noticed how Allah has made everything on earth subservient to you? And there is the ship, which sails across the ocean by His command; and there is the sky that He has suspended from falling on the earth except by His command! Verily Allah is most Gracious and Condescending towards mankind!
22 : 66
66. Wahuwa allathee ahyakum thumma yumeetukum thumma yuhyeekum inna al-insana lakafoorun
And He it is who gave you life, then He will cause you to die and then He will give you life again! But man is an ungrateful creature!
* * *
Context of Revelation : The following verses were revealed when certain hard-boiled idolaters, always on the look out for picking arguments with the Muslims, confronted the close associates of the Prophet and asked to know why was it that the Muslims had no compunctions on consuming animals they killed with their own hands but deemed the animals killed by Allah unfit for consumption?
22 : 67
67. Likulli ommatin jaAAalna mansakan hum nasikoohu fala yunaziAAunnaka fee al-amri waodAAu ila rabbika innaka laAAala hudan mustaqeemin
To each nation have We prescribed their own sacred rites which it is incumbent on them to observe. So let them not quibble with you in this regard but simply invite them to come to their Lord. Verily you are on the right course!
22 : 68
68. Wa-in jadalooka faquli Allahu aAAlamu bima taAAmaloona
But if they quibble with you nonetheless, say : 'Allah is best aware of all your deeds!'
22 : 69
69. Allahu yahkumu baynakum yawma alqiyamati feema kuntum feehi takhtalifoona
Allah will adjudicate between you on the Day of Resurrection about all the
matters in which there is a clash of views.
(Every nation, every community, every religion and every brotherhood have their rituals in which they ardently believe and to which they are entitled. The Hindus celebrate their festival of lights called Diwali, marking the triumph of good over evil; in most Western countries the Christians celebrate Christmas to commemorate the birth of Jesus, as do the other religious denominations regardless of the academics of right and wrong. This verse sternly rebuffs those who sit in judgement on others and reprove them for the rituals they honour, admonishing the Muslims neither to criticize theirs nor let them criticize yours.
In the case of Muslims, all the rituals we observe and the festivals we celebrate inevitably tend to have a religious connotation and a spiritual dimension and are therefore of extra significance to us. For instance, the festival of Eid ul Fitr is celebrated to mark the end of Ramadan, a month of austerity, self-sacrifice, self-discipline and self-control, for which we express our gratitude to our Lord who granted us those thirty wonderful days to set for ourselves a few tough goals and strive to accomplish them.
The other important festival in the Islamic calendar is Ed ul Adhere, celebrated during the season of pilgrimage to commemorate the dedication of both Prophet Abraham and of his son Ishmael, when the humble father agreed to sacrifice his son as was sought by Allah to test his mettle, and the brave son agreed to be sacrificed, though the ordeal was aborted at the last moment by slaughtering a lamb in the place of Ishmael by Allah's command.
Although the offering of a lamb on this auspicious day is observed by Muslims across the world who can afford it, whether they are at home or on their pilgrimage, there is a social dimension to it, besides the religious and spiritual overtones, which needs a closer look.
Those who have sacrificed a lamb on this day are asked to divide the meat in three equal portions, one for their own households which include their families and friends; one for those members of the outer family who could not afford to offer the sacrifice because of financial constraints so that they too could have something special to eat on that special day; and the rest to be distributed to those who beg.
* * *
22 : 70
70. Alam taAAlam anna Allaha yaAAlamu ma fee alssama-i waal-ardi inna thalika fee kitabin inna thalika AAala Allahi yaseerun
Have you not known that Allah is aware of whatever is there in the heavens and upon the earth? Verily everything is entered in a record! And verily that is easy for Allah to do!
22 : 71
71. WayaAAbudoona min dooni Allahi ma lam yunazzil bihi sultanan wama laysa lahum bihi AAilmun wama lilththalimeena min naseerin
Yet they worship in the place of Allah gods about whom He has not sent them any warrant and gods about whom they have no knowledge! For those who perpetrate evil, there are no cohorts!
22 : 72
72. Wa-itha tutla AAalayhim ayatuna bayyinatin taAArifu fee wujoohi allatheena kafaroo almunkara yakadoona yastoona biallatheena yatloona AAalayhim ayatina qul afaonabbi-okum bisharrin min thalikum alnnaru waAAadaha Allahu allatheena kafaroo wabi/sa almaseeru
And when Our revelations are recited to them, you will clearly notice the signs of rejection on the faces of those who disbelieve, almost as if they are on the verge of assaulting those who recite Our revelations to them! So, say : 'Shall I tell you what is worse than your rancour? The Fire! Allah has promised it to the disbelievers, - and what a terrible destination it is for them to come back to! (R)
OTHER TRANSLATIONS BY MUHSIN, YUSUFALI, PICKTHAL AND SHAKIR:
65. See you not that Allāh has subjected to you (mankind) all that is on the earth, and the ships that sail through the sea by His Command? He withholds the heaven from falling on the earth except by His Leave. Verily, Allāh is, for mankind, full of Kindness, Most Merciful.
66. It is He, Who gave you life, and then will cause you to die, and will again give you life (on the Day of Resurrection). Verily! Man is indeed an ingrate.
67. For every nation We have ordained religious ceremonies [e.g. slaughtering of the beast of cattle during the three days of stay at Mīna (Makkah) during the Hajj (pilgrimage)] which they must follow; so let them (pagans) not dispute with you on the matter (i.e. to eat of the cattle which you slaughter, and not to eat of cattle which Allāh kills by its natural death), but invite them to your Lord. Verily! You (O Muhammad SAW) indeed are on the (true) straight guidance. (i.e. the true religion of Islāmic Monotheism).
68. And if they argue with you (as regards the slaughtering of the sacrifices), say; "Allāh knows best of what you do.
69. "Allāh will judge between you on the Day of Resurrection about that wherein you used to differ."
70. Know you not that Allāh knows all that is in heaven and on earth? Verily, it is (all) in the Book (Al-Lauh Al-Mahfūz). Verily! That is easy for Allāh.
71. And they worship besides Allāh others for which He has sent down no authority, and of which they have no knowledge and for the Zālimūn (wrong-doers, polytheists and disbelievers in the Oneness of Allāh) there is no helper.
72. And when Our Clear Verses are recited to them, you will notice a denial on the faces of the disbelievers! They are nearly ready to attack with violence those who recite Our Verses to them. Say: "Shall I tell you of something worse than that? The Fire (of Hell) which Allāh has promised to those who disbelieve, and worst indeed is that destination!"
YUSUFALI: Seest thou not that Allah has made subject to you (men) all that is on the earth, and the ships that sail through the sea by His Command? He withholds the sky (rain) from failing on the earth except by His leave: for Allah is Most Kind and Most Merciful to man.
PICKTHAL: Hast thou not seen how Allah hath made all that is in the earth subservient unto you? And the ship runneth upon the sea by His command, and He holdeth back the heaven from falling on the earth unless by His leave. Lo! Allah is, for mankind, Full of Pity, Merciful.
SHAKIR: Do you not see that Allah has made subservient to you whatsoever is in the earth and the ships running in the sea by His command? And He withholds the heaven from falling on the earth except with His permission; most surely Allah is Compassionate, Merciful to men.
YUSUFALI: It is He Who gave you life, will cause you to die, and will again give you life: Truly man is a most ungrateful creature!
PICKTHAL: And He it is Who gave you life, then He will cause you to die, and then will give you life (again). Lo! man is verily an ingrate.
SHAKIR: And He it is Who has brought you to life, then He will cause you to die, then bring you to life (again); most surely man is ungrateful.
YUSUFALI: To every People have We appointed rites and ceremonies which they must follow: let them not then dispute with thee on the matter, but do thou invite (them) to thy Lord: for thou art assuredly on the Right Way.
PICKTHAL: Unto each nation have We given sacred rites which they are to perform; so let them not dispute with thee of the matter, but summon thou unto thy Lord. Lo! thou indeed followest right guidance.
SHAKIR: To every nation We appointed acts of devotion which they observe, therefore they should not dispute with you about the matter and call to your Lord; most surely you are on a right way.
YUSUFALI: If they do wrangle with thee, say, "Allah knows best what it is ye are doing."
PICKTHAL: And if they wrangle with thee, say: Allah is Best Aware of what ye do.
SHAKIR: And if they contend with you, say: Allah best knows what you do.
YUSUFALI: "Allah will judge between you on the Day of Judgment concerning the matters in which ye differ."
PICKTHAL: Allah will judge between you on the Day of Resurrection concerning that wherein ye used to differ.
SHAKIR: Allah will judge between you on the day of resurrection respecting that in which you differ.
YUSUFALI: Knowest thou not that Allah knows all that is in heaven and on earth? Indeed it is all in a Record, and that is easy for Allah.
PICKTHAL: Hast thou not known that Allah knoweth all that is in the heaven and the earth? Lo! it is in a record. Lo! that is easy for Allah.
SHAKIR: Do you not know that Allah knows what is in the heaven and the earth? Surely this is in a book; surely this is easy to Allah.
YUSUFALI: Yet they worship, besides Allah, things for which no authority has been sent down to them, and of which they have (really) no knowledge: for those that do wrong there is no helper.
PICKTHAL: And they worship instead of Allah that for which He hath sent down no warrant, and that whereof they have no knowledge. For evil-doers there is no helper.
SHAKIR: And they serve besides Allah that for which He has not sent any authority, and that of which they have no knowledge; and for the unjust there shall be no helper.
YUSUFALI: When Our Clear Signs are rehearsed to them, thou wilt notice a denial on the faces of the Unbelievers! they nearly attack with violence those who rehearse Our Signs to them. Say, "Shall I tell you of something (far) worse than these Signs? It is the Fire (of Hell)! Allah has promised it to the Unbelievers! and evil is that destination!"
PICKTHAL: And when Our revelations are recited unto them, thou knowest the denial in the faces of those who disbelieve; they all but attack those who recite Our revelations unto them. Say: Shall I proclaim unto you worse than that? The Fire! Allah hath promised it for those who disbelieve. A hapless journey's end!
SHAKIR: And when Our clear communications are recited to them you will find denial on the faces of those who disbelieve; they almost spring upon those who recite to them Our communications. Say: Shall I inform you of what is worse than this? The fire; Allah has promised it to those who disbelieve; and how evil the resort!
22 : 73
73. Ya ayyuha alnnasu duriba mathalun faistamiAAoo lahu inna allatheena tadAAoona min dooni Allahi lan yakhluqoo thubaban walawi ijtamaAAoo lahu wa-in yaslubuhumu alththubabu shay-an la yastanqithoohu minhu daAAufa alttalibu waalmatloobu
O mankind! A parable is cited so pay attention to it : verily those whom you
worship in the place of Allah cannot create a fly even if they pooled their
resources together! And if the fly snatched anything from them, they could not
retrieve from it whatever it has snatched! How trivial is the seeker and how
insignificant the sought!
this parable, it is brought to the attention of the idolaters that, not only are
the stone idols whom they worship in the place of Allah incapable of creating
something as trivial as a fly, they are also incapable of retrieving from the
fly if it stole anything from them, such as honey
or saffron, often rubbed on the faces of
idols by their worshippers).
22 : 74
74. Ma qadaroo Allaha haqqa qadrihi inna Allaha laqawiyyun AAazeezun
They do not cherish Allah as they should cherish Him! Verily Allah is Omnipotent and Ubiquitous!
* * *
Context of Revelation : The following verse was revealed in response to the persistent claims made by the idolaters that Allah would not choose a mortal man to perform the duties of a Divine messenger which only the Angels were qualified to perform.
22 : 75
75. Allahu yastafee mina almala-ikati rusulan wamina alnnasi inna Allaha sameeAAun baseerun
Allah chooses His messengers from angels and He chooses His messengers from the humans. Verily Allah hears everything and watches everything!
22 : 76
76. YaAAlamu ma bayna aydeehim wama khalfahum wa-ila Allahi turjaAAu al-omooru
He knows what is ahead of them and what is behind them and to Allah are referred all the things in the end!
22 : 77
77. Ya ayyuha allatheena amanoo irkaAAoo waosjudoo waoAAbudoo rabbakum waifAAaloo alkhayra laAAallakum tuflihoona
O those of you who believe! Bow down and prostrate in worship to your Lord and perform good deeds so that you may attain salvation!
22 : 78
78. Wajahidoo fee Allahi haqqa jihadihi huwa ijtabakum wama jaAAala AAalaykum fee alddeeni min harajin millata abeekum ibraheema huwa sammakumu almuslimeena min qablu wafee hatha liyakoona alrrasoolu shaheedan AAalaykum watakoonoo shuhadaa AAala alnnasi faaqeemoo alssalata waatoo alzzakata waiAAtasimoo biAllahi huwa mawlakum faniAAma almawla waniAAma alnnaseeru
And fight in the way of Allah as is incumbent on you to fight. He has chosen you and has not prescribed anything insurmountable in your religion, - the religion of your patriarch Abraham! He has named you Muslims in the previous Scriptures and in this Scripture so that the messenger may be a witness against you and you may be witnesses against rest of mankind! So perpetuate worship and give to the deserving their dues and hold tight the harness Allah has provided for you. He is your sentinel, a resolute guardian and a dependable acolyte! (R)
OTHER TRANSLATIONS BY MUHSIN, YUSUFALI, PICKTHAL AND SHAKIR:
73. O mankind! A similitude has been coined, so listen to it (carefully): Verily! Those on whom you call besides Allāh, cannot create (even) a fly, even though they combine together for the purpose. And if the fly snatched away a thing from them, they would have no power to release it from the fly. So weak are (both) the seeker and the sought.
74. They have not estimated Allāh His Rightful Estimate; Verily, Allāh is All-Strong, All-Mighty.
75. Allāh chooses Messengers from angels and from men. Verily, Allāh is All-Hearer, All-Seer.
76. He knows what is before them, and what is behind them. And to Allāh return all matters (for decision).
77. O you who believe! Bow down, and prostrate yourselves, and worship your Lord and do good that you may be successful.
78. And strive hard in Allāh's Cause as you ought to strive (with sincerity and with all your efforts that His Name should be superior). He has chosen you (to convey His Message of Islāmic Monotheism to mankind by inviting them to His religion, Islām), and has not laid upon you in religion any hardship, it is the religion of your father Ibrahim (Abraham) (Islāmic Monotheism). It is He (Allāh) Who has named you Muslims both before and in this (the Qur'ān), that the Messenger (Muhammad SAW) may be a witness over you and you be witnesses over mankind! So perform AsSalāt (Iqamat-as-Salāt), give Zakāt and hold fast to Allāh [i.e. have confidence in Allāh, and depend upon Him in all your affairs] He is your Maula (Patron, Lord, etc.), what an Excellent Maula (Patron, Lord, etc.) and what an Excellent Helper!
YUSUFALI: O men! Here is a parable set forth! listen to it! Those on whom, besides Allah, ye call, cannot create (even) a fly, if they all met together for the purpose! and if the fly should snatch away anything from them, they would have no power to release it from the fly. Feeble are those who petition and those whom they petition!
PICKTHAL: O mankind! A similitude is coined, so pay ye heed to it: Lo! those on whom ye call beside Allah will never create a fly though they combine together for the purpose. And if the fly took something from them, they could not rescue it from it. So weak are (both) the seeker and the sought!
SHAKIR: O people! a parable is set forth, therefore listen to it: surely those whom you call upon besides Allah cannot create fly, though they should all gather for it, and should the fly snatch away anything from them, they could not take it back from i weak are the invoker and the invoked.
YUSUFALI: No just estimate have they made of Allah: for Allah is He Who is strong and able to Carry out His Will.
PICKTHAL: They measure not Allah His rightful measure. Lo! Allah is Strong, Almighty.
SHAKIR: They have not estimated Allah with the estimation that i due to Him; most surely Allah is Strong, Mighty.
YUSUFALI: Allah chooses messengers from angels and from men for Allah is He Who hears and sees (all things).
PICKTHAL: Allah chooseth from the angels messengers, and (also) from mankind. Lo! Allah is Hearer, Seer.
SHAKIR: Allah chooses messengers from among the angels and from among the men; surely Allah is Hearing, Seeing.
YUSUFALI: He knows what is before them and what is behind them: and to Allah go back all questions (for decision).
PICKTHAL: He knoweth all that is before them and all that is behind them, and unto Allah all things are returned. $$A
SHAKIR: He knows what is before them and what is behind them and to Allah are all affairs turned back.
YUSUFALI: O ye who believe! bow down, prostrate yourselves, and adore your Lord; and do good; that ye may prosper.
PICKTHAL: O ye who believe! Bow down and prostrate yourselves, and worship your Lord, and do good, that haply ye may prosper.
SHAKIR: O you who believe! bow down and prostrate yourselves and serve your Lord, and do good that you may succeed.
YUSUFALI: And strive in His cause as ye ought to strive, (with sincerity and under discipline). He has chosen you, and has imposed no difficulties on you in religion; it is the cult of your father Abraham. It is He Who has named you Muslims, both before and in this (Revelation); that the Messenger may be a witness for you, and ye be witnesses for mankind! So establish regular Prayer, give regular Charity, and hold fast to Allah! He is your Protector - the Best to protect and the Best to help!
PICKTHAL: And strive for Allah with the endeavour which is His right. He hath chosen you and hath not laid upon you in religion any hardship; the faith of your father Abraham (is yours). He hath named you Muslims of old time and in this (Scripture), that the messenger may be a witness against you, and that ye may be witnesses against mankind. So establish worship, pay the poor-due, and hold fast to Allah. He is your Protecting friend. A blessed Patron and a blessed Helper!
SHAKIR: And strive hard in (the way of) Allah, (such) a striving a is due to Him; He has chosen you and has not laid upon you an hardship in religion; the faith of your father Ibrahim; He named you Muslims before and in this, that the Messenger may be a bearer of witness to you, and you may be bearers of witness to the people; therefore keep up prayer and pay the poor-rate and hold fast by Allah; He is your Guardian; how excellent the Guardian and how excellent the Helper!