This Surah consists of 38 verses, 558 sentences, 2,475 letters and 4 Ruku's.
It derives its name from the sentence wa amanu bi-ma nuzzila ala Muhammad-in of verse 2, thereby implying that it is the Surah in which the holy name of Muhammad (upon whom be Allah's peace and blessings) has occurred. Besides, it has another well known name "al-Qital" also, which is derived from the sentence wa dhukira fi-hal-qital of verse 20.
The contents of this Surah testify that it was sent down after the hijrah at Madinah at the time when the fighting had been enjoined, though active fighting had not yet been undertaken. Detailed arguments in support of this view have been given in E. N. 8 below.
The conditions at the time when this Surah was sent down were such that the Muslims were being made the target of persecution and tyranny in Makkah in particular and in Arabia in general, and life had become miserable for them. Although the Muslims had emigrated to the haven of Madinah from every side, the disbelieving Quraish were not prepared to leave them alone and let them live in peace even there. Thus, the small settlement of Madinah was hemmed in by the enemy, who was bent upon exterminating it completely. The only alternative left with the Muslims were that either they should surrender to the forces of ignorance, giving up their mission of preaching the true Faith, or even following it in their private lives, or should rise to wage a war at the cost of their lives to settle finally and for ever whether Islam would stay in Arabia or the creed of ignorance. On this occasion Allah showed the Muslims the same way of reso1ution and will, which is the only way for the true believers. He first permitted them to fight in Surah Al Hajj 39 and then enjoined fighting in Al Baqarah 190. But at that time everyone knew fully well what it meant to wage a war in those conditions. There were only a handful of Muslims in Madinah, who could not muster even a thousand soldiers; yet they were being urged to take up the sword and clash against the pagan forces of the whole of Arabia. Then the kind of the weapons needed to equip its soldiers for war could hardly be afforded by the town in which hundreds of emigrants were still homeless and unsettled even by resort to starving its members at a time when it had been boycotted economically by the Arabs on all sides.
Such were the conditions when this Surah was revealed. Its theme is to prepare the believers for war and to give them preliminary instructions in this regard. That is why it has also been entitled al-Qital. It dea]s with the following topics:
At the outset it is said that of the two groups confronting each other at this time, one has refused to accept the Truth and has become an obstruction for others on the way of Allah, while the other group has accepted the Truth which had been sent down by Allah to His servant, Muhammad (upon whom be Allah's peace and blessings). Now, Allah's final decision is that He has rendered fruitless and vain all the works of the former group and set right the condition and affairs of the latter group.
After this, the Muslims have been given the initial war instructions they have been reassured of Allah's help and guidance: they have been given hope for the best rewards on offering sacrifices in the cause of Allah and they have been assured that their struggle in the cause of the Truth will not go to waste, but they will be abundantly rewarded both in this world and in the Hereafter.
Furthermore, about the disbelievers it has been said that they are deprived of Allah's support and guidance: none of their designs will succeed in their conflict with the believers, and they will meet a most evil fate both in this world and in the Hereafter. They thought they had achieved a great success by driving the Prophet of Allah out of Makkah, but in fact by this they had hastened their own doom.
After this, the discourse turns to the hypocrites, who were posing to be sincere Muslims before the command to fight was sent down, but were confounded when this command actually came down, and began to conspire with the disbelievers in order to save themselves from the hazards of war. They have been plainly warned to the effect that no act and deed is acceptable to Allah of those who adopt hypocrisy with regard to Him and His Prophet. There, the basic issue against which all those who profess the Faith are being tried is whether one is on the side of the Truth or Falsehood, whether one's sympathies are with Islam and the Muslims or with disbelief and the disbelievers, whether one keeps one's own self and interests dearer or the Truth which one professes to believe in and follow. One who fails in this test is not at all a believer; his Prayer and his Fasting and his discharging of the zakat deserve no reward from Allah.
Then the Muslims have been exhorted not to lose heart for being small in numbers and ill equipped as against the great strength of the disbelievers: they should not show weakness by offering peace to them, which might still further embolden them against Islam and the Muslims, but they should come out with trust in Allah and clash with the mighty forces of disbelief. Allah is with the Muslims: they alone shall triumph; and the might of disbelief will be humbled and vanquished.
In conclusion, the Muslims have been invited to spend their wealth in the cause of Allah. Although at that time they were economically very weak, the problem that they confronted was the very survival of Islam and the Muslims. The importance and delicacy of the problem demanded that the Muslims should not only risk their lives for safeguarding themselves and their Faith from the dominance of disbelief and for exalting Allah's Religion but should also expend their economic resources as far as possible in the preparations for war. Therefore, they were clearly warned to the effect: Anyone who adopted a niggardly attitude at the time, would not, in fact, harm Allah at all, but would result in his own destruction, for Allah does not stand in need of help from men. If one group of men shirked offering sacrifices in the cause of His Religion, Allah would remove it and bring another group in its place. Maududi
IMPORTANT: Please note that the Digest is based upon these outstanding translations and they have been reproduced here for the benefit of serious readers of the Quraan; the copyrights of these works are held by their respective authors/publishers from whom they can be purchased by anyone interested in acquiring them and we ardently hope that no offence will be taken by their inclusion.
Bismi Allahi alrrahmani alrraheemi
47 : 1
1. Allatheena kafaroo wasaddoo AAan sabeeli Allahi adalla aAAmalahum
Those who disbelieve and obstruct other men from the path of Allah, He renders all their good deeds void!
47 : 2
2. Waallatheena amanoo waAAamiloo alssalihati waamanoo bima nuzzila AAala muhammadin wahuwa alhaqqu min rabbihim kaffara AAanhum sayyi-atihim waaslaha balahum
Those who believe and perform righteous deeds and believe in that which is revealed to Mohammed, - because that alone is the Truth from their Lord, - He will redeem their sins and ameliorate their status.
47 : 3
3. Thalika bi-anna allatheena kafaroo ittabaAAoo albatila waanna allatheena amanoo ittabaAAoo alhaqqa min rabbihim kathalika yadribu Allahu lilnnasi amthalahum
That is because those who disbelieve follow that which is false while those who believe follow that which is the truth from their Lord! Thus does Allah illustrate their examples for mankind.
47 : 4
4. Fa-itha laqeetumu allatheena kafaroo fadarba alrriqabi hatta itha athkhantumoohum fashuddoo alwathaqa fa-imma mannan baAAdu wa-imma fidaan hatta tadaAAa alharbu awzaraha thalika walaw yashao Allahu laintasara minhum walakin liyabluwa baAAdakum bibaAAdin waallatheena qutiloo fee sabeeli Allahi falan yudilla aAAmalahum
When you confront in battle those who disbelieve, slash their necks until you have routed them and then secure the rest with firm knots; afterwards, either set them free with kindness or in lieu of ransom until the battle lays down its burden. That is the Command. If Allah had willed He would have taken them to task (without you), except that, He wishes to test each of you by means of the other. And those who are slain in the Cause of Allah, He will never render their sacrifices futile!
47 : 5
sayahdeehim wayuslihu balahum
He will lead them on to a higher plain and will ameliorate their status -
47 : 6
6. Wayudkhiluhumu aljannata AAarrafaha lahum
And will bring them into the Garden with which He has already familiarized them!
47 : 7
7. Ya ayyuha allatheena amanoo in tansuroo Allaha yansurkum wayuthabbit aqdamakum
O those of you who believe! If you help accomplish Allah's mission, Allah will help you in return and will strengthen your foothold.
47 : 8
8. Waallatheena kafaroo fataAAsan lahum waadalla aAAmalahum
And as for those who disbelieve, destruction is upon them and He will render their deeds futile!
47 : 9
9. Thalika bi-annahum karihoo ma anzala Allahu faahbata aAAmalahum
That is because they spurn that which Allah has revealed and hence He will render all their toils in vain.
47 : 10
10. Afalam yaseeroo fee al-ardi fayanthuroo kayfa kana AAaqibatu allatheena min qablihim dammara Allahu AAalayhim walilkafireena amthaluha
Have they not travelled in land and seen for themselves the plight which befell those before them? Allah annihilated them. And a similar requital awaits those who disbelieve!
47 : 11
11. Thalika bi-anna Allaha mawla allatheena amanoo waanna alkafireena la mawla lahum
It is because, while Allah is the guardian of those who believe, those who disbelieve have no guardian! (R)
OTHER TRANSLATIONS BY MUHSIN, YUSUFALI, PICKTHAL AND SHAKIR:
1. Those who disbelieve [in the Oneness of Allāh, and in the Message of Prophet Muhammad SAW ], and hinder (men) from the Path of Allāh (Islāmic Monotheism), He will render their deeds vain .
2. But those who believe and do righteous good deeds, and believe in that which is sent down to Muhammad (SAW), for it is the truth from their Lord, He will expiate from them their sins, and will make good their state.
3. That is because those who disbelieve follow falsehood, while those who believe follow the truth from their Lord. Thus does Allāh set forth their parables for mankind.
4. So, when you meet (in fight Jihād in Allāh's Cause), those who disbelieve smite at their necks till when you have killed and wounded many of them, then bind a bond firmly (on them, i.e. take them as captives). Thereafter (is the time) either for generosity (i.e. free them without ransom), or ransom (according to what benefits Islām), until the war lays down its burden. Thus [you are ordered by Allāh to continue in carrying out Jihād against the disbelievers till they embrace Islām (i.e. are saved from the punishment in the Hell-fire) or at least come under your protection], but if it had been Allāh's Will, He Himself could certainly have punished them (without you). But (He lets you fight), in order to test you, some with others. But those who are killed in the Way of Allāh, He will never let their deeds be lost,
5. He will guide them and set right their state.
6. And admit them to Paradise which He has made known to them (i.e. they will know their places in Paradise more than they used to know their houses in the world).
7. O you who believe! If you help (in the cause of) Allāh, He will help you, and make your foothold firm.
8. But those who disbelieve (in the Oneness of Allāh Islāmic Monotheism), for them is destruction, and (Allāh) will make their deeds vain.
9. That is because they hate that which Allāh has sent down (this Qur'ān and Islāmic laws, etc.), so He has made their deeds fruitless.
10. Have they not travelled through the earth, and seen what was the end of those before them? Allāh destroyed them completely and a similar (fate awaits) the disbelievers.
11. That is because Allāh is the Maula (Lord, Master, Helper, Protector, etc.) of those who believe, and the disbelievers have no Maula (lord, master, helper, protector, etc.).
YUSUFALI: Those who reject Allah and hinder (men) from the Path of Allah,- their deeds will Allah render astray (from their mark).
PICKTHAL: Those who disbelieve and turn (men) from the way of Allah, He rendereth their actions vain.
SHAKIR: (As for) those who disbelieve and turn away from Allah's way, He shall render their works ineffective.
YUSUFALI: But those who believe and work deeds of righteousness, and believe in the (Revelation) sent down to Muhammad - for it is the Truth from their Lord,- He will remove from them their ills and improve their condition.
PICKTHAL: And those who believe and do good works and believe in that which is revealed unto Muhammad - and it is the truth from their Lord - He riddeth them of their ill-deeds and improveth their state.
SHAKIR: And (as for) those who believe and do good, and believe in what has been revealed to Muhammad, and it is the very truth from their Lord, He will remove their evil from them and improve their condition.
YUSUFALI: This because those who reject Allah follow vanities, while those who believe follow the Truth from their Lord: Thus does Allah set forth for men their lessons by similitudes.
PICKTHAL: That is because those who disbelieve follow falsehood and because those who believe follow the truth from their Lord. Thus Allah coineth their similitudes for mankind.
SHAKIR: That is because those who disbelieve follow falsehood, and have given them their dowries, taking (them) in marriage, not fornicating nor taking them for paramours in secret; and whoever denies faith, his work indeed is of no account, and in the hereafter he shall be one of the losers.
YUSUFALI: Therefore, when ye meet the Unbelievers (in fight), smite at their necks; At length, when ye have thoroughly subdued them, bind a bond firmly (on them): thereafter (is the time for) either generosity or ransom: Until the war lays down its burdens. Thus (are ye commanded): but if it had been Allah's Will, He could certainly have exacted retribution from them (Himself); but (He lets you fight) in order to test you, some with others. But those who are slain in the Way of Allah,- He will never let their deeds be lost.
PICKTHAL: Now when ye meet in battle those who disbelieve, then it is smiting of the necks until, when ye have routed them, then making fast of bonds; and afterward either grace or ransom till the war lay down its burdens. That (is the ordinance). And if Allah willed He could have punished them (without you) but (thus it is ordained) that He may try some of you by means of others. And those who are slain in the way of Allah, He rendereth not their actions vain.
SHAKIR: So when you meet in battle those who disbelieve, then smite the necks until when you have overcome them, then make (them) prisoners, and afterwards either set them free as a favor or let them ransom (themselves) until the war terminates. That (shall be so); and if Allah had pleased He would certainly have exacted what is due from them, but that He may try some of you by means of others; and (as for) those who are slain in the way of Allah, He will by no means allow their deeds to perish.
YUSUFALI: Soon will He guide them and improve their condition,
PICKTHAL: He will guide them and improve their state,
SHAKIR: He will guide them and improve their condition.
YUSUFALI: And admit them to the Garden which He has announced for them.
PICKTHAL: And bring them in unto the Garden which He hath made known to them.
SHAKIR: And cause them to enter the garden which He has made known to them.
YUSUFALI: O ye who believe! If ye will aid (the cause of) Allah, He will aid you, and plant your feet firmly.
PICKTHAL: O ye who believe! If ye help Allah, He will help you and will make your foothold firm.
SHAKIR: O you who believe ! if you help (the cause of) Allah, He will help you and make firm your feet.
YUSUFALI: But those who reject (Allah),- for them is destruction, and (Allah) will render their deeds astray (from their mark).
PICKTHAL: And those who disbelieve, perdition is for them, and He will make their actions vain.
SHAKIR: And (as for) those who disbelieve, for them is destruction and He has made their deeds ineffective.
YUSUFALI: That is because they hate the Revelation of Allah; so He has made their deeds fruitless.
PICKTHAL: That is because they are averse to that which Allah hath revealed, therefor maketh He their actions fruitless.
SHAKIR: That is because they hated what Allah revealed, so He rendered their deeds null.
YUSUFALI: Do they not travel through the earth, and see what was the End of those before them (who did evil)? Allah brought utter destruction on them, and similar (fates await) those who reject Allah.
PICKTHAL: Have they not travelled in the land to see the nature of the consequence for those who were before them? Allah wiped them out. And for the disbelievers there will be the like thereof.
SHAKIR: Have they not then journeyed in the land and seen how was the end of those before them: Allah brought down destruction upon them, and the unbelievers shall have the like of it.
YUSUFALI: That is because Allah is the Protector of those who believe, but those who reject Allah have no protector.
PICKTHAL: That is because Allah is patron of those who believe, and because the disbelievers have no patron.
SHAKIR: That is because Allah is the Protector of those who believe, and because the unbelievers shall have no protector for them.
47 : 12
12. Inna Allaha yudkhilu allatheena amanoo waAAamiloo alssalihati jannatin tajree min tahtiha al-anharu waallatheena kafaroo yatamattaAAoona waya/kuloona kama ta/kulu al-anAAamu waalnnaru mathwan lahum
Allah will cause those who believe and perform righteous deeds enter Gardens underneath which rivers flow; while those who disbelieve enjoy only the transient comforts of the life of this world and eat as the cattle eat! In Fire shall they repose!
* * *
Context of Revelation : The following verse was revealed when, at the time of his flight to Madina, the Prophet briefly paused outside the Cave and looked at his cherished city of Mecca with tears in his eyes, murmuring to himself : 'O my beloved Mecca! If these idolaters whom you harbour had not driven me out, I would never have left you!'
47 : 13
13. Wakaayyin min qaryatin hiya ashaddu quwwatan min qaryatika allatee akhrajatka ahlaknahum fala nasira lahum
And how many cities with men mightier than those who have driven you out of your home (O Mohammed) have We destroyed and they had no one to help them against Us!
* * *
47 : 14
14. Afaman kana AAala bayyinatin min rabbihi kaman zuyyina lahu soo-o AAamalihi waittabaAAoo ahwaahum
Is he, then, who relies upon a clear portent from his Lord to be treated the same as those whose evil deeds have been made to seem good in their own eyes whilst they chase their lusts?
47 : 15
15. Mathalu aljannati allatee wuAAida almuttaqoona feeha anharun min ma-in ghayri asinin waanharun min labanin lam yataghayyar taAAmuhu waanharun min khamrin laththatin lilshsharibeena waanharun min AAasalin musaffan walahum feeha min kulli alththamarati wamaghfiratun min rabbihim kaman huwa khalidun fee alnnari wasuqoo maan hameeman faqattaAAa amAAaahum
A description of the Garden which the righteous are promised : therein are streams of water that never get polluted; and streams of milk that never become unsavoury; and streams of wine that are delectable to taste; and streams of honey purified; and therein for them are a myriad variety of fruit, and redemption from their Lord! Can those who have been granted all such bounties ever be equal to those who are cast in hell forever and are given boiling water to drink which rips their guts into shreds?
47 : 16
16. Waminhum man yastamiAAu ilayka hatta itha kharajoo min AAindika qaloo lillatheena ootoo alAAilma matha qala anifan ola-ika allatheena tabaAAa Allahu AAala quloobihim waittabaAAoo ahwaahum
Amongst them are some who do listen to your sermons ( O Mohammed), but after they emerge from (the congregation) they say to those who are given knowledge : 'What was it that he said just now?' These are they whose hearts Allah has sealed and they are slaves of their own desires!
47 : 17
17. Waallatheena ihtadaw zadahum hudan waatahum taqwahum
As for those who have found the righteous path, He exacerbates their guidance and inclines them more and more towards a righteous living!
47 : 18
18. Fahal yanthuroona illa alssaAAata an ta/tiyahum baghtatan faqad jaa ashratuha faanna lahum itha jaat-hum thikrahum
Await they for what except the Hour to catch them unawares, - and all its latent signs have already become manifest! - But of what avail will their reading of these signs be if they wait until it has landed upon them?
47 : 19
19. FaiAAlam annahu la ilaha illa Allahu waistaghfir lithanbika walilmu/mineena waalmu/minati waAllahu yaAAlamu mutaqallabakum wamathwakum
So know (O Mohammed) that there is no God save Allah and seek lenity for your sins and for the sins of other believing men and women. Allah knows both your exertions during the day and your hiatus at night! (R)
OTHER TRANSLATIONS BY MUHSIN, YUSUFALI, PICKTHAL AND SHAKIR:
12. Certainly! Allāh will admit those who believe (in the Oneness of Allāh Islāmic Monotheism) and do righteous good deeds, to Gardens under which rivers flow (Paradise), while those who disbelieve enjoy themselves and eat as cattle eat, and the Fire will be their abode.
13. And many a town, stronger than your town (Makkah) (O Muhammad SAW) which has driven you out We have destroyed. And there was none to help them.
14. Is he who is on a clear proof from his Lord, like those for whom their evil deeds that they do are beautified for them, while they follow their own lusts (evil desires)?
15. =2>The description of Paradise which the Muttaqūn (pious - see V.2:2) have been promised is that in it are rivers of water the taste and smell of which are not changed; rivers of milk of which the taste never changes; rivers of wine delicious to those who drink; and rivers of clarified honey (clear and pure) therein for them is every kind of fruit; and forgiveness from their Lord. (Are these) like those who shall dwell for ever in the Fire, and be given, to drink, boiling water, so that it cuts up their bowels?
16. And among them are some who listen to you (O Muhammad SAW) till, when they go out from you, they say to those who have received knowledge: "What has he said just now? Such are men whose hearts Allāh has sealed, and they follow their lusts (evil desires).
17. While as for those who accept guidance, He increases their guidance, and bestows on them their piety.
18. Do they then await (anything) other than the Hour, that it should come upon them suddenly? But some of its portents (indications and signs) have already come, and when it (actually) is on them, how can they benefit then by their reminder?
19. So know (O Muhammad SAW) that Lā ilāha ill-Allāh (none has the right to be worshipped but Allāh), and ask forgiveness for your sin, and also for (the sin of) believing men and believing women. And Allāh knows well your moving about, and your place of rest (in your homes).
YUSUFALI: Verily Allah will admit those who believe and do righteous deeds, to Gardens beneath which rivers flow; while those who reject Allah will enjoy (this world) and eat as cattle eat; and the Fire will be their abode.
PICKTHAL: Lo! Allah will cause those who believe and do good works to enter Gardens underneath which rivers flow; while those who disbelieve take their comfort in this life and eat even as the cattle eat, and the Fire is their habitation.
SHAKIR: Surely Allah will make those who believe and do good enter gardens beneath which rivers flow; and those who disbelieve enjoy themselves and eat as the beasts eat, and the fire is their abode.
YUSUFALI: And how many cities, with more power than thy city which has driven thee out, have We destroyed (for their sins)? and there was none to aid them.
PICKTHAL: And how many a township stronger than thy township (O Muhammad) which hath cast thee out, have We destroyed, and they had no helper!
SHAKIR: And how many a town which was far more powerful than the town of yours which has driven you out: We destroyed them so there was no helper for them.
YUSUFALI: Is then one who is on a clear (Path) from his Lord, no better than one to whom the evil of his conduct seems pleasing, and such as follow their own lusts?
PICKTHAL: Is he who relieth on a clear proof from his Lord like those for whom the evil that they do is beautified while they follow their own lusts?
SHAKIR: What! is he who has a clear argument from his Lord like him to whom the evil of his work is made fairseeming: and they follow their low desires.
YUSUFALI: (Here is) a Parable of the Garden which the righteous are promised: in it are rivers of water incorruptible; rivers of milk of which the taste never changes; rivers of wine, a joy to those who drink; and rivers of honey pure and clear. In it there are for them all kinds of fruits; and Grace from their Lord. (Can those in such Bliss) be compared to such as shall dwell for ever in the Fire, and be given, to drink, boiling water, so that it cuts up their bowels (to pieces)?
PICKTHAL: A similitude of the Garden which those who keep their duty (to Allah) are promised: Therein are rivers of water unpolluted, and rivers of milk whereof the flavour changeth not, and rivers of wine delicious to the drinkers, and rivers of clear-run honey; therein for them is every kind of fruit, with pardon from their Lord. (Are those who enjoy all this) like those who are immortal in the Fire and are given boiling water to drink so that it teareth their bowels?
SHAKIR: A parable of the garden which those guarding (against evil) are promised: Therein are rivers of water that does not alter, and rivers of milk the taste whereof does not change, and rivers of drink delicious to those who drink, and rivers of honey clarified and for them therein are all fruits and protection from their Lord. (Are these) like those who abide in the fire and who are made to drink boiling water so it rends their bowels asunder.
YUSUFALI: And among them are men who listen to thee, but in the end, when they go out from thee, they say to those who have received Knowledge, "What is it he said just then?" Such are men whose hearts Allah has sealed, and who follow their own lusts.
PICKTHAL: Among them are some who give ear unto thee (Muhammad) till, when they go forth from thy presence they say unto those who have been given knowledge: What was that he said just now? Those are they whose hearts Allah hath sealed, and they follow their own lusts.
SHAKIR: And there are those of them who seek to listen to you, until when they go forth from you, they say to those who have been given the knowledge: What was it that he said just now? These are they upon whose hearts Allah has set a seal and they follow their low desires.
YUSUFALI: But to those who receive Guidance, He increases the (light of) Guidance, and bestows on them their Piety and Restraint (from evil).
PICKTHAL: While as for those who walk aright, He addeth to their guidance, and giveth them their protection (against evil).
SHAKIR: And (as for) those who follow the right direction, He increases them in guidance and gives them their guarding (against evil).
YUSUFALI: Do they then only wait for the Hour,- that it should come on them of a sudden? But already have come some tokens thereof, and when it (actually) is on them, how can they benefit then by their admonition?
PICKTHAL: Await they aught save the Hour, that it should come upon them unawares? And the beginnings thereof have already come. But how, when it hath come upon them, can they take their warning?
SHAKIR: Do they then wait for aught but the hour that it should come to them all of a sudden? Now indeed the tokens of it have (already) come, but how shall they have their reminder when it comes on them?
YUSUFALI: Know, therefore, that there is no god but Allah, and ask forgiveness for thy fault, and for the men and women who believe: for Allah knows how ye move about and how ye dwell in your homes.
PICKTHAL: So know (O Muhammad) that there is no Allah save Allah, and ask forgiveness for thy sin and for believing men and believing women. Allah knoweth (both) your place of turmoil and your place of rest.
SHAKIR: So know that there is no god but Allah, and, ask protection for your fault and for the believing men and the believing women; and Allah knows the place of your returning and the place of your abiding.
Context of Revelation : The following verses were revealed when many believers, eager to lay down their lives for Allah and attain martyrdom, pined for a Revelation which made war incumbent upon believers.
47 : 20
20. Wayaqoolu allatheena amanoo lawla nuzzilat sooratun fa-itha onzilat sooratun muhkamatun wathukira feeha alqitalu raayta allatheena fee quloobihim maradun yanthuroona ilayka nathara almaghshiyyi AAalayhi mina almawti faawla lahum
Those who believe say : 'If only such a Surah was revealed!' But if a definitive Surah is revealed in which fighting is made mandatory, you will find those in whose hearts is a disease stare at you with the look of one who is succumbing to death! A better thing for them is -
47 : 21
21. TaAAatun waqawlun maAAroofun fa-itha AAazama al-amru falaw sadaqoo Allaha lakana khayran lahum
Tacit obedience and auspicious speech. Then, when war is ordained and they still remain truthful to Allah, so much the better!
* * *
47 : 22
22. Fahal AAasaytum in tawallaytum an tufsidoo fee al-ardi watuqattiAAoo arhamakum
Then, is it to be expected of you that, if you are given authority, you would abuse it by perpetrating unrest in the land and severing your blood bonds?
47 : 23
23. Ola-ika allatheena laAAanahumu Allahu faasammahum waaAAma absarahum
These are the people whom Allah has reviled and has rendered them deaf and has deprived them of their vision!
47 : 24
24. Afala yatadabbaroona alqur-ana am AAala quloobin aqfaluha
Is it that they do not seriously contemplate upon the Qur'aan, or are there pad-locks hanging on the hearts of some of them?
47 : 25
25. Inna allatheena irtaddoo AAala adbarihim min baAAdi ma tabayyana lahumu alhuda alshshaytanu sawwala lahum waamla lahum
Those who retract even after guidance became manifest to them, Satan has inveigled them and has raised their spirits with false hopes!
47 : 26
26. Thalika bi-annahum qaloo lillatheena karihoo ma nazzala Allahu sanuteeAAukum fee baAAdi al-amri waAllahu yaAAlamu israrahum
This is because they say to those who hate what Allah has revealed : 'We are quite prepared to collude with you in some matters !' And Allah is aware of all their secret pacts!
47 : 27
27. Fakayfa itha tawaffat-humu almala-ikatu yadriboona wujoohahum waadbarahum
How then will it be with them when the angels arrive to gather their souls, striking them on their faces and their backs!
47 : 28
28. Thalika bi-annahumu ittabaAAoo ma askhata Allaha wakarihoo ridwanahu faahbata aAAmalahum
That will be because they adhered to that which is abhorrent to Allah and abhorred that which is acceptable to Him. Hence He has rendered futile all their toils. (R)
OTHER TRANSLATIONS BY MUHSIN, YUSUFALI, PICKTHAL AND SHAKIR:
20. Those who believe say: "Why is not a Sūrah (chapter of the Qur'ān) sent down (for us)? But when a decisive Sūrah (explaining and ordering things) is sent down, and fighting (Jihād holy fighting in Allāh's Cause) is mentioned (i.e. ordained) therein, you will see those in whose hearts is a disease (of hypocrisy) looking at you with a look of one fainting to death. But it was better for them (hypocrites, to listen to Allāh and to obey Him).
21. Obedience (to Allāh) and good words (were better for them). And when the matter (preparation for Jihād) is resolved on, then if they had been true to Allāh, it would have been better for them.
22. Would you then, if you were given the authority, do mischief in the land, and sever your ties of kinship?
23. Such are they whom Allāh has cursed, so that He has made them deaf and blinded their sight.
24. Do they not then think deeply in the Qur'ān, or are their hearts locked up (from understanding it)?
25. Verily, those who have turned back (have apostated) as disbelievers after the guidance has been manifested to them, Shaitān (Satan) has beautified for them (their false hopes), and (Allāh) prolonged their term (age).
26. This is because they said to those who hate what Allāh has sent down: "We will obey you in part of the matter," but Allāh knows their secrets.
27. Then how (will it be) when the angels will take their souls at death, smiting their faces and their backs?
28. That is because they followed that which angered Allāh, and hated that which pleased Him. So He made their deeds fruitless.
YUSUFALI: Those who believe say, "Why is not a sura sent down (for us)?" But when a sura of basic or categorical meaning is revealed, and fighting is mentioned therein, thou wilt see those in whose hearts is a disease looking at thee with a look of one in swoon at the approach of death. But more fitting for them-
PICKTHAL: And those who believe say: If only a surah were revealed! But when a decisive surah is revealed and war is mentioned therein, thou seest those in whose hearts is a disease looking at thee with the look of men fainting unto death. Therefor woe unto them!
SHAKIR: And those who believe say: Why has not a chapter been revealed? But when a decisive chapter is revealed, and fighting is mentioned therein you see those in whose hearts is a disease look to you with the look of one fainting because of death. Woe to them then!
YUSUFALI: Were it to obey and say what is just, and when a matter is resolved on, it were best for them if they were true to Allah.
PICKTHAL: Obedience and a civil word. Then, when the matter is determined, if they are loyal to Allah it will be well for them.
SHAKIR: Obedience and a gentle word (was proper); but when the affair becomes settled, then if they remain true to Allah it would certainly be better for them.
YUSUFALI: Then, is it to be expected of you, if ye were put in authority, that ye will do mischief in the land, and break your ties of kith and kin?
PICKTHAL: Would ye then, if ye were given the command, work corruption in the land and sever your ties of kinship?
SHAKIR: But if you held command, you were sure to make mischief in the land and cut off the ties of kinship!
YUSUFALI: Such are the men whom Allah has cursed for He has made them deaf and blinded their sight.
PICKTHAL: Such are they whom Allah curseth so that He deafeneth them and maketh blind their eyes.
SHAKIR: Those it is whom Allah has cursed so He has made them deaf and blinded their eyes.
YUSUFALI: Do they not then earnestly seek to understand the Qur'an, or are their hearts locked up by them?
PICKTHAL: Will they then not meditate on the Qur'an, or are there locks on the hearts?
SHAKIR: Do they not then reflect on the Quran? Nay, on the hearts there are locks.
YUSUFALI: Those who turn back as apostates after Guidance was clearly shown to them,- the Evil One has instigated them and busied them up with false hopes.
PICKTHAL: Lo! those who turn back after the guidance hath been manifested unto them, Satan hath seduced them, and He giveth them the rein.
SHAKIR: Surely (as for) those who return on their backs after that guidance has become manifest to them, the Shaitan has made it a light matter to them; and He gives them respite.
YUSUFALI: This, because they said to those who hate what Allah has revealed, "We will obey you in part of (this) matter"; but Allah knows their (inner) secrets.
PICKTHAL: That is because they say unto those who hate what Allah hath revealed: We will obey you in some matters; and Allah knoweth their secret talk.
SHAKIR: That is because they say to those who hate what Allah has revealed: We will obey you in some of the affairs; and Allah knows their secrets.
YUSUFALI: But how (will it be) when the angels take their souls at death, and smite their faces and their backs?
PICKTHAL: Then how (will it be with them) when the angels gather them, smiting their faces and their backs!
SHAKIR: But how will it be when the angels cause them to die smiting their backs.
YUSUFALI: This because they followed that which called forth the Wrath of Allah, and they hated Allah's good pleasure; so He made their deeds of no effect.
PICKTHAL: That will be because they followed that which angereth Allah, and hated that which pleaseth Him. Therefor He hath made their actions vain.
SHAKIR: That is because they follow what is displeasing to Allah and are averse to His pleasure, therefore He has made null their deeds.
47 : 29
29. Am hasiba allatheena fee quloobihim maradun an lan yukhrija Allahu adghanahum
Or, are those who have a disease in their hearts under the impression that Allah will not expose the hidden grudges which they bear towards one another?
47 : 30
30. Walaw nashao laaraynakahum falaAAaraftahum biseemahum walataAArifannahum fee lahni alqawli waAllahu yaAAlamu aAAmalakum
And if We so will, We can debunk them to you (Mohammed) so that you could read the signs on their faces and recognize them from their devious speech! And Allah is cognizant of all your deeds!
47 : 31
31. Walanabluwannakum hatta naAAlama almujahideena minkum waalssabireena wanabluwa akhbarakum
And verily We shall try you until We discover who amongst you strives the hardest for the Cause of Allah and who is the most devout from your record of performance!
47 : 32
32. Inna allatheena kafaroo wasaddoo AAan sabeeli Allahi washaqqoo alrrasoola min baAAdi ma tabayyana lahumu alhuda lan yaduroo Allaha shay-an wasayuhbitu aAAmalahum
Verily those who disbelieve and turn away from the path of Allah and remain hostile to the messenger even after guidance has dawned on them, cannot harm Allah in the least whereas He can render all their toils futile.
47 : 33
33. Ya ayyuha allatheena amanoo ateeAAoo Allaha waateeAAoo alrrasoola wala tubtiloo aAAmalakum
O those of you who believe! Obey Allah and obey the messenger and forfeit not your good deeds!
47 : 34
34. Inna allatheena kafaroo wasaddoo AAan sabeeli Allahi thumma matoo wahum kuffarun falan yaghfira Allahu lahum
As for those who disbelieve and turn away from the path of Allah and then die as disbelievers, Allah will never redeem them!
47 : 35
35. Fala tahinoo watadAAoo ila alssalmi waantumu al-aAAlawna waAllahu maAAakum walan yatirakum aAAmalakum
So do not be faint-hearted nor volunteer for a truce when it is you that will prevail in the end! Allah is with you and He will not underrate your just deserts!
47 : 36
36. Innama alhayatu alddunya laAAibun walahwun wa-in tu/minoo watattaqoo yu/tikum ojoorakum wala yas-alkum amwalakum
The life of this world is but an amusement and a pastime! And if you believe and proscribe evil, Allah will reward your righteousness without asking you for your earthly possessions in return!
47 : 37
37. In yas-alkumooha fayuhfikum tabkhaloo wayukhrij adghanakum
But if He should ask them of you, and ask them of you with a degree of pressure, it would tempt you into parsimony, and parsimony exposes the evil in your hearts
47 : 38
38. Ha antum haola-i tudAAawna litunfiqoo fee sabeeli Allahi faminkum man yabkhalu waman yabkhal fa-innama yabkhalu AAan nafsihi waAllahu alghaniyyu waantumu alfuqarao wa-in tatawallaw yastabdil qawman ghayrakum thumma la yakoonoo amthalakum
Verily you are those who are being called upon to spend some of your wealth for the cause of Allah! Yet there are some among you who hoard it. As for him who hoards, he hides it away only from his own soul. And whereas Allah depends not on you, you depend on Him; and if you turn away, He will replace you with others who will not be as self-centred as you are! (R)
OTHER TRANSLATIONS BY MUHSIN, YUSUFALI, PICKTHAL AND SHAKIR:
29. Or do those in whose hearts is a disease (of hypocrisy), think that Allāh will not bring to light all their hidden ill-wills?
30. Had We willed, We could have shown them to you, and you should have known them by their marks, but surely, you will know them by the tone of their speech! And Allāh knows all your deeds.
31. And surely, We shall try you till We test those who strive hard (for the Cause of Allāh) and the patient ones, and We shall test your facts (i.e. the one who is a liar, and the one who is truthful).
32. Verily, those who disbelieve, and hinder (men) from the Path of Allāh (i.e. Islām), and oppose the Messenger ( SAW) (by standing against him and hurting him), after the guidance has been clearly shown to them, they will not hurt Allāh in the least, but He will make their deeds fruitless,
33. O you who believe! Obey Allāh, and obey the Messenger (Muhammad SAW) and render not vain your deeds.
34. Verily, those who disbelieve, and hinder (men) from the Path of Allāh (i.e. Islām); then die while they are disbelievers, Allāh will not forgive them.
35. So be not weak and ask not for peace (from the enemies of Islām), while you are having the upper hand. Allāh is with you, and will never decrease the reward of your good deeds.
36. The life of this world is but play and pastime, but if you believe (in the Oneness of Allāh Islāmic Monotheism), and fear Allāh, and avoid evil, He will grant you your wages, and will not ask you your wealth.
37. If He were to ask you of it, and press you, you would covetously withhold, and He will bring out all your (secret) ill-wills.
38. Behold! You are those who are called to spend in the Cause of Allāh, yet among you are some who are niggardly. And whoever is niggardly, it is only at the expense of his ownself. But Allāh is Rich (Free of all wants), and you (mankind) are poor. And if you turn away (from Islām and the obedience of Allāh), He will exchange you for some other people, and they will not be your likes.
YUSUFALI: Or do those in whose hearts is a disease, think that Allah will not bring to light all their rancour?
PICKTHAL: Or do those in whose hearts is a disease deem that Allah will not bring to light their (secret) hates?
SHAKIR: Or do those in whose hearts is a disease think that Allah will not bring forth their spite?
YUSUFALI: Had We so wiled, We could have shown them up to thee, and thou shouldst have known them by their marks: but surely thou wilt know them by the tone of their speech! And Allah knows all that ye do.
PICKTHAL: And if We would, We could show them unto thee (Muhammad) so that thou shouldst know them surely by their marks. And thou shalt know them by the burden of their talk. And Allah knoweth your deeds.
SHAKIR: And if We please We would have made you know them so that you would certainly have recognized them by their marks and most certainly you can recognize them by the intent of (their) speech; and Allah knows your deeds.
YUSUFALI: And We shall try you until We test those among you who strive their utmost and persevere in patience; and We shall try your reported (mettle).
PICKTHAL: And verily We shall try you till We know those of you who strive hard (for the cause of Allah) and the steadfast, and till We test your record.
SHAKIR: And most certainly We will try you until We have known those among you who exert themselves hard, and the patient, and made your case manifest.
YUSUFALI: Those who reject Allah, hinder (men) from the Path of Allah, and resist the Messenger, after Guidance has been clearly shown to them, will not injure Allah in the least, but He will make their deeds of no effect.
PICKTHAL: Lo! those who disbelieve and turn from the way of Allah and oppose the messenger after the guidance hath been manifested unto them, they hurt Allah not a jot, and He will make their actions fruitless.
SHAKIR: Surely those who disbelieve and turn away from Allah's way and oppose the Messenger after that guidance has become clear to them cannot harm Allah in any way, and He will make null their deeds.
YUSUFALI: O ye who believe! Obey Allah, and obey the messenger, and make not vain your deeds!
PICKTHAL: O ye who believe! Obey Allah and obey the messenger, and render not your actions vain.
SHAKIR: O you who believe! obey Allah and obey the Messenger, and do not make your deeds of no effect.
YUSUFALI: Those who reject Allah, and hinder (men) from the Path of Allah, then die rejecting Allah,- Allah will not forgive them.
PICKTHAL: Lo! those who disbelieve and turn from the way of Allah and then die disbelievers, Allah surely will not pardon them.
SHAKIR: Surely those who disbelieve and turn away from Allah's way, then they die while they are unbelievers, Allah will by no means forgive them.
YUSUFALI: Be not weary and faint-hearted, crying for peace, when ye should be uppermost: for Allah is with you, and will never put you in loss for your (good) deeds.
PICKTHAL: So do not falter and cry out for peace when ye (will be) the uppermost, and Allah is with you, and He will not grudge (the reward of) your actions.
SHAKIR: And be not slack so as to cry for peace and you have the upper hand, and Allah is with you, and He will not bring your deeds to naught.
YUSUFALI: The life of this world is but play and amusement: and if ye believe and guard against Evil, He will grant you your recompense, and will not ask you (to give up) your possessions.
PICKTHAL: The life of the world is but a sport and a pastime. And if ye believe and ward off (evil). He will give you your wages, and will not ask of you your wordly wealth.
SHAKIR: The life of this world is only idle sport and play, and if you believe and guard (against evil) He will give you your rewards, and will not ask of you your possessions.
YUSUFALI: If He were to ask you for all of them, and press you, ye would covetously withhold, and He would bring out all your ill-feeling.
PICKTHAL: If He should ask it of you and importune you, ye would hoard it, and He would bring to light your (secret) hates.
SHAKIR: If He should ask you for it and urge you, you will be niggardly, and He will bring forth your malice.
YUSUFALI: Behold, ye are those invited to spend (of your substance) in the Way of Allah: But among you are some that are niggardly. But any who are niggardly are so at the expense of their own souls. But Allah is free of all wants, and it is ye that are needy. If ye turn back (from the Path), He will substitute in your stead another people; then they would not be like you!
PICKTHAL: Lo! ye are those who are called to spend in the way of Allah, yet among you there are some who hoard. And as for him who hoardeth, he hoardeth only from his soul. And Allah is the Rich, and ye are the poor. And if ye turn away He will exchange you for some other folk, and they will not be the likes of you.
SHAKIR: Behold! you are those who are called upon to spend in Allah's way, but among you are those who are niggardly, and whoever is niggardly is niggardly against his own soul; and Allah is Self-sufficient and you have need (of Him), and if you turn back He will bring in your place another people, then they will not be like you.